Type keyword(s) to search

I Need a Recipe!

• Start Topic

Does anyone have a meatloaf recipe that has gotten raves from people that don't generally like meatloaf? My mother lives with me and my brother is visiting and they both love meatloaf, but I find it disgusting. It is the texture that I hate, more so than the flavor. It is too mushy for me.

As far as flavor, I don't mind a moderate amount of onion, love garlic, but cannot stand any kind of peppers. No one in the family likes fennel. (I have no idea if fennel ever goes in meatloaf, but just thought I should mention it.)

I make mine on the grill using pretty much this recipe. Using the grill adds a really nice extra hit of smoke that makes it a little bit different than what you get in the oven. Plus, using the grill is just easier all around in my opinion.

By "pretty much" I mean, it's meatloaf, so there is plenty of room to tinker.  I've used turkey as part of the meat blend. I always tend to use more Worcestershire sauce than a teaspoon. I also grate my yellow onion rather than chopping it, which is think helps a lot with the texture.

I used the promise of this meatloaf very successfully to get my brother in law to pick up my kids after camp last summer.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 1

JTMac99, Grating the onion is brilliant!  I saute the chopped onion (with garlic) because I don't like getting a bite of onion.  Next time I will forgo the saute pan and grate.

Your recipe looks almost like mine for the oven, except I often throw in some grated parm, and instead of panko I soak a piece of bread in milk, then squish/break it up into the mix and throw in any of the milk that squeezed out.  That would probably make too loose a mix to grill; so once we can get to the grill again (it's covered in snow and surrounded by inch-thick ice), I will definitely try it as written. 

Edited by harrie
  • Love 1

JTMac99, Grating the onion is brilliant!

That would probably make too loose a mix to grill; so once we can get to the grill again (it's covered in snow and surrounded by inch-thick ice), I will definitely try it as written. 

I can't remember who gave me the grating the onion idea, but I think it might have been Rachel Ray or Giada.  Probably the former, given that meatloaf is her kind of thing. I know she was the first one to give me the idea to make meatloaf in muffin tins, which I've also done but I don't think is as good as this grill version.

I hear you about waiting for the grill to defrost.  A friend of mine in CT just put up a picture of him standing (in shorts) on 3 feet of snow and ice using his grill at ankle height and declaring winter to be over.  It's going to be fairly warm all week here, and I'm thinking my grill will be well above the snow by Saturday and maybe I'll fire it up. 

I'm going for burgers first though. 

• Love 1

Does anyone have a meatloaf recipe that has gotten raves from people that don't generally like meatloaf?

I'll get my sister's receipe, which is excellent. One thing I know that she does is use half beef and half pork. I think it really improves the flavor and the texture. (But I pretty much always prefer pork to beef, so...)

• Love 1

I love Dave Lieberman's recipe for meat loaf and was delighted to discover it several years ago.  It's not mushy & has great flavor.  I don't make the topping (it's his Bubby's recipe) as it didn't appeal to me so I created my own.  The original recipe is in his Dave's Dinners cookbook.

Bubby's Meat Loaf  

2 eggs
3 oz tomato paste
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
15 grinds fresh black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 lbs lean ground beef
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1 small onion finely chopped
1 garlic clove, pressed
*Topping and Bacon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Whisk together the eggs, tomato paste, water, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a large bowl.  Add remaining ingredients and work together until all are evenly distributed.

Place meat mixture into a baking pan and shape into a loaf about 11" x 4".  The loaf should be in the middle of the pan.  Ladle topping on meatloaf and then strips of bacon if desired (I used microwave bacon).  Cover with foil.

Bake 45 minutes.  Uncover and bake 40 to 45 minutes longer.

*My Topping:

Mix up some ketchup, brown sugar, a tiny bit of  BBQ sauce, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce.

Edited by annzeepark914

This isn't really about a recipe, but I've been getting hungry about 9-10pm each night. It's not just a craving. I'm actually hungry, and I wake up much hungrier if I don't eat anything. Does anyone have any recommendations of good things to eat? Also, I'm pregnant so am now needing more daily calories anyway. Don't want to go overboard but not looking necessarily for something very low calorie. I wake up nauseous if I go too long on an empty stomach. Would prefer something sort of healthy.

I've been eating:

Piece of cheese

Handful of crackers

Cashews

Piece of fruit

Anyone have any other suggestions? Thank you.

For what it's worth, I have been told that a banana at bedtime is good. It is supposed to help you sleep, if that's an issue, and provides lots of good nutrition.  Also, sweet potatoes - potassium, fiber, and complex carbs (again, potassium for the sleep, and the complex carbs may keep you feeling full longer).

Edited by harrie

One of my favorites is Greek yogurt with cut-up fresh fruit in it (whatever is in season),  I normally go for a vanilla or a honey Greek yogurt (I buy the Greek Gods brand because it seems less sweet to me).  When cherries are in season I LOVE them in yogurt.  My nephew got me a handy cherry pitter gadget a few years ago (it does 8 cherries at once).  I seriously love that thing.

Also, yogurt with some granola in it or Cheerios.

Your snack combo of cheese/crackers/nuts/fruits sounds like a pretty tasty and balanced starting point.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

I don't need a recipe but I do need some advice re: this recipe that I found at Food Network.  What could I sub for the chorizo?  Would a turkey kielbasa be ok?  I don't want anything spicy-hot, just something with flavor.  (I plan to use chicken breasts)  Also, has anyone made paella and would this be an ok version?  Do you think it would be good cooked on a gas grill?  or, if I did it in the oven, what temp and for how long?  I know, lots of questions!  Thanks in advance :>) 

Paella: Combine 1 cup uncooked Spanish rice mix, 1 1/4 cups chicken broth, 6 peeled large shrimp, 2 skinless chicken thighs, 2 ounces sliced dried chorizo, 1/4 cup each pimiento-stuffed olives and roasted pepper strips, and 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika in a disposable pie pan. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with pepper. Seal the pan in foil. Grill over medium-high heat, 30 minutes.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-things-to-grill-in-foil.page-2.html?oc=linkback

The hub makes paella all the time -- okay, a few times a year -- but he does it on the stovetop, not in the oven.  As for how long -- until it's done, which is not much help.  (But paella is actually a wow-inducing meal that's pretty easy to make.)   It should work on a gas grill  -  in Spain, it's often cooked in a huge pan on an open fire, so grilling it is natural.  The chorizo gives it a smoky flavor; but if you prefer another kind of sausage, use what you like (especially if you're only using a couple of ounces). If you have smoked paprika handy, throw in a tsp or so, and whatever sausage you use, it becomes chorizo-ized.  Chicken breasts can work, but be aware they'r e much leaner than thighs, so you might want to watch their cooking time or they'll get very dry.

Just FY, the hub uses this recipe -- it's less prefab, ingredient-wise, and not much more effort. 

Oh yeah - re the recipe I linked, the hub omits the ham and the artichoke hearts, and uses regular rice, not Uncle Ben's.

Edited by harrie
  • Love 3

I'm late to the party here but meatloaf...... I just eyeball it. I used to follow a recipe but no one liked it so now I just throw a bit of this and that in. I've tried half pork half beef and I just like the beef flavor more. I throw in some Panko( if I'm out I'll crush some crackers up) some onion (I am digging the grated onion suggestion though), Italian seasoning, fresh garlic. I free form it onto a foil lined cookie sheet and bake for what feels like 2 hrs to be dry enough for my family to eat. I always serve with ketchup on the side. It's just an easy cheap meal that I like. My kids have an old book from when I was a kid about a Dinosaur coming to dinner and the mom served meatloaf. So, I always save a space for Dino at the dinner table when I make meatloaf. No picky eaters!

pregnancy food, I had gestational diabetes with my first so I was. Rey deliberate in what I ate. My favorite pre bed time snack was 1 cup of Kashi Go Lean cereal with exactly 1/2 cup soy milk and some fresh berries mixed in.

• Love 1

@harrie:  Thanks so much!  I just copied that recipe and will use it along with the one I posted above.  I like the idea of the rice getting a bit crunchy in places when done on the grill.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1

@harrie:  Thanks so much!  I just copied that recipe and will use it along with the one I posted above.  I like the idea of the rice getting a bit crunchy in places when done on the grill.

I hope it works out well!  

• Love 1

When asking for recipes I always ask the person, if they have somebody over for dinner or go to a pot luck type dinner what's the main tbing people ask them to make, then I ask for that recipe.

Mine is always, always my macaroni salad. Its so simple and everybody loves it. I've had people tell me they hate every kind of macaroni salad but mine.

That's the one thing everybody asks me to make.

I need new recipes. I love to cook but it seems like I make the same things all the time.

I'm on a mission to gain 25 pounds so I'm always looking for good full calorie recipes.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1

That's the one thing everybody asks me to make.

I need new recipes. I love to cook but it seems like I make the same things all the time.

I'm on a mission to gain 25 pounds so I'm always looking for good full calorie recipes.

I'm having to do about the same since I'm pregnant and especially since I started out underweight. Anyway, it was recommended to me to aim to eat an extra 300 calories a day. So, I started out counting my calories as-is. Then, tried to eat 300 more. I weighed myself once a week to make sure I was on track and gaining a pound to pound and a half per week. When I realize I'm not, I go back to counting calories and adjust my diet.

To get those extra 300, I recommend an extra smoothie to your breakfast. Full fat milk of some sort, protein powder, bananas, and berries for me. If that doesn't work, try to eat a big banana before bed and add full fat cheese to any meal that you can.

That's hardly a recipe! And, certainly may not work for you, but it helped me. Hope it doesn't come off as bossy! Just sharing what I'm doing.

I've found that I'm at a plateau again, so I'm adding more. I eat my meal, then after my stomach doesn't feel so full, I'll heat up a little bit more or make sure to eat some fruit if that really isn't an option.

Edited by Betweenyouandme
  • Love 3

Thank you for the suggestions.

I've always been underweight and now that I'm wearing a body cast and taking narcotic pain medicine I'm losing even more weight. I'm 5 foot 4 and am hovering right at a hundred pounds.

They prescribed me medical marijuana to help my appetite but nothing is really helping right now.

The smoothie/shake thing is a good idea. I've looked at protein powders but there are so many different kinds that I just gave up.

I'm looking for the full fat and calorie recipes so that when I am able to eat it will count. If that makes sense.

• Love 1

When asking for recipes I always ask the person, if they have somebody over for dinner or go to a pot luck type dinner what's the main tbing people ask them to make, then I ask for that recipe.Mine is always, always my macaroni salad. Its so simple and everybody loves it. I've had people tell me they hate every kind of macaroni salad but mine.

@Maharincess:  What do you put in your macaroni salad?  I love macaroni salads and love to hear how other folks make theirs. When I lived in Raleigh I shopped at the Stonehenge Harris Teeter and swooned over their macaroni salad.  I think it had some sour cream mixed in with the mayo.  It was divine.

• Love 1

There have been times when I needed to gain weight and one of the easiest ways for me to up my calories was to just add some avocado to as many things as possible.  Adding some diced avocado with scrambled eggs at breakfast, a couple of slices on a sandwich or in a salad, etc...I wasn't taking in a lot of extra fat or calories at once and I was eating a balanced diet.

There's a lot of smoothie recipes that you can add avocado to.

ETA:  My newspaper had this article in it this morning.

Edited by DeLurker

@Maharincess:  What do you put in your macaroni salad?  I love macaroni salads and love to hear how other folks make theirs. When I lived in Raleigh I shopped at the Stonehenge Harris Teeter and swooned over their macaroni salad.  I think it had some sour cream mixed in with the mayo.  It was divine.

Please do tell, Maharincess; I am interested in trying something new.  (At my house it's always potato salad or cole slaw.)

(edited)

I live in western Michigan and we had a small (4.2) earthquake this afternoon. I am having a few people over tomorrow for a casual mid-afternoon get together and would like to serve a dish or two that could conceivably to seen as "earthquake-y".

Any suggestions? Preferably quick, easy and without any unusual ingredients. So far all I could think of was Shake & Bake chicken and martinis, shaken, not stirred. But I have no idea how to make a martini (and have no liquor in the house,) and, if I recall correctly, S&B is gross.

Yes, I waited until 9: 30 p.m. to think of a quake theme. My excuse is that I am rattled. :-)

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 2

First, I hope nobody was hurt or that there wasn't a lot of property damage.

I think that any cocktail that you shake would work. You could come up with your own version of Shake & Bake. Just dump everything in a brown paper bag and go for it. Yeah S&B is pretty salty if my memory serves me.

What a fun idea! I wonder what we'd do here for a tornado party! Play "Twister?"  LOL!

(edited)

I live in western Michigan and we had a small (4.2) earthquake this afternoon. I am having a few people over tomorrow for a casual mid-afternoon get together and would like to serve a dish or two that could conceivably to seen as "earthquake-y".

Any suggestions? Preferably quick, easy and without any unusual ingredients. So far all I could think of was Shake & Bake chicken and martinis, shaken, not stirred. But I have no idea how to make a martini (and have no liquor in the house,) and, if I recall correctly, S&B is gross.

Yes, I waited until 9: 30 p.m. to think of a quake theme. My excuse is that I am rattled. :-)

How about a chop salad.  Though it was a mild quake and nothing got chopped up,  it makes some sense.  No?    And I love the idea of jello!  Make an old fashioned jello salad from the 50s. 

Everyone loves my meatloaf and I make it the way my mother did. 

1lb ground beef

1lb ground pork

1 pack of Knor dehydrated vegetable soup

One egg

1 cup of bread crumbs

1 cup of milk

I spread some tomato paste on top.  

The dry soup gives it fabulous flavor, no need for salt.  Fast, easy and moist but not mushy. 

I NEVER cook with canned soup or other typical short cuts using prepared food.  This is my one exception. 

Edited by wings707

Does anyone have a Mint Julep recipe that isn't so, um, Bourbony for lack of a better word.

I am late to the party since the race was yesterday but I used to host gatherings on race days.  I hate bourbon so I made Mojitos instead to get the mint idea in! 

• Love 1
(edited)

I am late to the party since the race was yesterday but I used to host gatherings on race days. I hate bourbon so I made Mojitos instead to get the mint idea in!

I found a recipe that muddled confectioners sugar with mint and St. Germaine instead of simple syrup and then topped of with either ginger ale or club soda.

The purists hated it the rest of us say two thumbs up.

Edited by bosawks

My earthquake party went off very well - no aftershocks! I made homemade Shake n' Bake chicken, tossed salad and milkshakes for dessert, along with a recipe I found online for earthquake cookies. I am sure most of you have seen them, they are chocolate cookies that you roll in powdered sugar and they crackle when you bake them.

I couldn't think of a quake-y potato recipe, so I just made mashed.

Not a bad menu for a last minute idea.

• Love 5

Does anyone make a tasty whole-wheat pizza dough?  My pizza consumption is about a 50/50 split between delivery (it's just so tempting, since I have numerous local pizzerias from which to choose) and homemade.  But when I make pizza, I use a pre-made whole-wheat dough from Trader Joe's.  It's good, it's cheap, and it's pretty fresh under the circumstances, but I should make my own.  I know dough is a pretty basic thing, but I've had a few awful whole wheat pizza crusts over the years, so I'd love a personally-recommended recipe.  I'll be rolling this out to thin crust.

Does anyone in PA have a recipe for chocolate Gobs? Mr. Mbay remembers them from his childhood in Johnstown. I would love to surprise him on his birthday. The ones I have found on line don't sound quite right. Should be a vanilla type frosting between two cake like chocolate cookies.

Looking for an easy and on the mild side recipe for chicken in tacos.  My daughter is just starting to eat more meat and has finally started to have some taco filling instead of a taco shell with sour cream and cheese.  The various ground beef (well, turkey) versions I have made are still a bit over seasoned for her.  If I cut it back more, it will be underseasoned for her brother.

I bought a pack of seasoning for chicken tacos but am thinking it will still overwhelm her.  Plus, I have reservations about how the chicken will turn out - you cut it into strios, brown it and then add the seasoning packet and water to cook some more for about 6 - 7 minutes.  Sounds like the chicken would be rather unappealing by the time it got done cooking.

I have a George Foreman grill so was looking for a mild Mexicanish marinade that I could use first before cooking.  Anyone have ideas?

(edited)

What I would do for child friendly chicken tacos-  Shred or chop cooked chicken very finely.  Mix it with a with the sour cream so it holds together and doesn't fall out.  Salt and pepper only.  And, of course add cheese.  Since she is not eating the typical spices with her taco, just start with this baby step.  It will not taste foreign to her.   If she wants that taste, a pinch of chile powder would work.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

Does anyone in PA have a recipe for chocolate Gobs? Mr. Mbay remembers them from his childhood in Johnstown. I would love to surprise him on his birthday. The ones I have found on line don't sound quite right. Should be a vanilla type frosting between two cake like chocolate cookies.

mbaywife123, have you looked at this recipe?  It's for the cookie only,  You can mail order them, too, but it might not be as much fun as making them.  Disclaimer: I am not from PA; around here, a Gob is a whoopie pie or moon pie. 

I have a shit ton of bananas in my freezer.  I don't care for smoothies, and regular old banana bread bores me.  I'm going to make double chocolate banana bread from Smittenkitchen, maybe peanut butter banana muffins... Any other suggestions?

• Love 1

Does anyone have a good recipe for ceviche? I had some when I stopped in Cozumel while on a cruise two years ago, and I am dying to have some. None of the restaurants around me serve it, so making it myself is my only option. I planned on using grouper, which is what they used in Cozumel. So, has anyone tried cooking their fish in lime juice before and had it come out great who could pass the recipe along to little old me?

I have a shit ton of bananas in my freezer.  I don't care for smoothies, and regular old banana bread bores me.  I'm going to make double chocolate banana bread from Smittenkitchen, maybe peanut butter banana muffins... Any other suggestions?

You can make the yummiest ice cream out of frozen bananas :-)  Add in some frozen fruit (strawberries, raspberries) , some vanilla, tiny chocolate chips.  It's soooooo good.  If you have a high speed blender, you don't even need to slice them first :) 

Here's a basic recipe, but if you look around, you can find tons of them! 

• Love 1
(edited)

This isn't really about a recipe, but I've been getting hungry about 9-10pm each night. It's not just a craving. I'm actually hungry, and I wake up much hungrier if I don't eat anything. Does anyone have any recommendations of good things to eat? Also, I'm pregnant so am now needing more daily calories anyway. Don't want to go overboard but not looking necessarily for something very low calorie. I wake up nauseous if I go too long on an empty stomach. Would prefer something sort of healthy.

I've been eating:

Piece of cheese

Handful of crackers

Cashews

Piece of fruit

Anyone have any other suggestions? Thank you.

A small serving of cottage cheese is a good snack before bed. You can add a few blueberries or just salt and pepper.

A little hummus on a mini pita.

Peanut butter on toast.

Hard boiled egg.

Congratulations on the baby!

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 2

I bought a couple of boxes of graham cracker crumbs on sale.  Can anybody suggest some ways to use them for something other than a pie or cheesecake crust?  I also plan to use them to make those multi-layer bars with sweetened condensed milk, coconut, chocolate chips and nuts and a family fudge nougat recipe.

Thanks!

What did you end up making?

I also have a lot of bananas in the freezer. I used my last remaining "fresh" ones to make the double chocolate banana bread as well. It's good, but it's a bit too rich for me. I'm going to try the Jacked Up one from SK next time.

I made the double chocolate banana bread (too rich? pish posh), and a banana muffin with nutella in the middle.  That took care of about half a dozen bananas.  Lots left, maybe I'll make some pancakes this weekend and freeze.

Qoass, if you're feeling energetic you could make Compost Cookies.  Graham crumbs are one of the 23 ingredients. 

• Love 1

Well... then I would be asking you how to use up the leftovers of the other 22 ingredients!

I'm always buying things for a specific recipe then looking for more recipes to use up the stuff left over then I buy stuff for those recipes and on and on and on.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well... then I would be asking you how to use up the leftovers of the other 22 ingredients!

I'm always buying things for a specific recipe then looking for more recipes to use up the stuff left over then I buy stuff for those recipes and on and on and on.

I hate that. I always thought the perfect school or church fundraiser would be to sell holiday spices or spice sets in the amount you need to make a dish. I have lots of spices only used in holiday recipes cluttering up my pantry. I would much rather buy a good quality smidge at a church or school function for an inflated price than buy a whole bottle of the stuff that I will use once a year.

I would probably just eat those graham cracker crumbs with a spoon and some chocolate sauce. I'm klassy like that :)

Just use a cloth napkin and extend your pinky holding the spoon and you'll be the picture of elegance.

My children (and their cousins in their mid to late 20s) would love deconstructed s'mores. Have little cups of melted chocolate and little cups of graham cracker crumbs, toast a marshmallow on a stick, roll/dip in melty chocolate, roll/dip in crumbs, consume with great gusto, repeat until all elements are gone.

ETA: Because "raiser" is not a synonym or homonym for rather.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

I bought a couple of boxes of graham cracker crumbs on sale. Can anybody suggest some ways to use them for something other than a pie or cheesecake crust? I also plan to use them to make those multi-layer bars with sweetened condensed milk, coconut, chocolate chips and nuts and a family fudge nougat recipe.

Thanks!

A couple yeas ago I went to a friend's for brunch and she made French toast smores.

She coated the French toast in ground graham crackers topped with chocolate and gooey marshmallows. It was good but very sweet I don't eat a lot of sweets so only had a few bites.

Everyone loved them.

I don't know the recipe but she explained that she did your basic French toast, after the eggs mixture, press graham cracker crumbs then cook in butter.

I made ice cream sandwiches with gc before and I loved that the cracker softened up after freezing them. Reminded me of the store bought kind when we were kids. I used chocolate graham crackers but I'm sure any would be good.

• Love 1