Type keyword(s) to search

I Need a Recipe!

• Start Topic

ETA:  Sorry, DeLurker :-)  I wasn't ignoring you, just trying to solve the mysteries of chemistry  over here.   

You know, when it comes to your mom, I think a lifetime of practice also just leads to a level of proficiency that it's hard to replicate.  People who grew up cooking with fewer prepared foods at the ready, just seemed to get it all down.  Just as a for instance, I'm now great at eyeballing the size of a container needed, but I remember doing the same thing you're describing.  Then just over the years, at some point,, I just got better at it.  

And you probably don't remember when your mom was still getting better at it, vs. being great at it, because it was when you were little.   

Best theory I could conjure on short notice :-)  That or you got your cooking gene from your dad's side.  

Edited by stillshimpy

She also can tell exactly how big a container you need for leftovers. I am forever under or over estimating so end up using a container too big or too small.

Now that's talent.  I too cannot "eyeball" much of anything.  As a trade, I can make good pie crust from scratch.

DeLurker, my husband's grandmother was the same way. At one point, some of the grandchildren (the hub's two older sisters, to be exact) spent an afternoon or two helping Grandmother make her recipes -- one sister assisted, the other took notes.  So when Grandmother said you add "this much" salt or whatever, one sister measured the amount and the other one wrote it down.  So now we can make pierogi, kielbasa, kapusta, pickles, etc. "the right way."

The eyeballing part, however, just comes with time and experience. 

• Love 3

I need help with making sticky buns. Ever since buying some at a local bakery this fall, I have become obsessed with making my own. Can't afford $6 for four rolls from the bakery..

I have made three batches and am now satisfied with the "bun" part, but the "sticky" is totally lacking. Instead of sticky, it always comes out grainy. I don't know if I am over baking them, not making enough topping or not making the topping correctly, or a combination of factors.

My topping recipe calls for equal parts butter and brown sugar and coarsely chopped pecans. The instructions say to melt the butter, pour it in the pans (1 9x13 pan and 1 9x9, for a total of 24 buns) add the brown sugar and pecans, then plop the buns on top.

While all of my batches have been tasty, I really want the sticky. Help!

This is going to be a weird suggestion.  I'm linking you to one of Ree Drummond's recipes, yup The Pioneer Woman and yes, just about everything she has ever made is so insanely bad for you, it has to go into the indulgence category.  This includes any vegetables she's ever gotten her hands on.  The lady likes sugar and butter (and really, there are few who don't in my experience).  

Anyway, this is a prune cake recipe (told you it was about to get weird 'round these parts).  The cake is good, but it's the topping I wanted to call your attention to: it's a buttermilk caramel sauce.  You couldn't sprinkle on the pecans afterwards, but it won't have that grainy thing going on at all, because rather than getting any kind of tang from the brown sugar (which gets its from molasses) , it gets it from buttermilk and then you add baking soda (important step).  

Somewhere on her site she also has a cinnamon bun recipe, I know because I used to be able to see a TV from the kitchen so I saw almost everything the Food network had going on while cooking.   It's actually pretty rare for me to make anything of hers, as we the only meat we eat is fish and sparingly at that, but that icing is good enough that I've made it for other cakes.  If you double the batch you'd be ooed and gooed into a happy place, I'm sure :-)  

Edited by stillshimpy

Okay, I don't really need a recipe.  In fact, I could cook and bake 24/7 for the rest of my life and never get through all the recipes I already have.

What I do need is to rant!

Why the hell must every.single.website about food prep follow the same stupid format???  Hey, here's a paragraph about why I'm making this recipe.  So far so good.  But hey, let me follow that up with a huge photo of the finished product which is surprisingly unappetizing.  Then the first sentence of the recipe.  Followed by another huge photograph of some terribly tricky process like measuring oil into a pan.  Another sentence.  Another huge photo.  Sentence.  Photo.  Etc.  Etc.  Etc.  Finally, here's the button to just print the damn thing already.

Apparently it's national cookie day and Yahoo is making sure I click on way too many websites created by people who have lots of time and lots of cameras.

• Love 3

My next-door neighbor has some mobility issues, so I help out whenever I can, and because of that she bestows a holiday gift on me each year and seems flustered if I gift back anything remotely equivalent rather than just a little something.  So this year I'd like to do a baked treat -- if I spend time but little money, I think it will be right up her alley.  The problem is she's diabetic.  Now, she is not insulin-dependent and has wonderful self-control in eating sweet treats in whatever moderation necessary to avoid terribly raising her blood sugar.  But I'd like to make her something that, while not sugar-free, is diabetic-friendly for someone in her situation -- I'd like her to be able to enjoy it a little at a time and ultimately enjoy the whole thing (or most of it; she has visiting grandchildren) rather than treating herself to a few servings and then needing to pass it on before it goes bad.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

• Love 2

Bastet - I recently saw a recipe (that I cannot find now) for a homemade granola/protein bar that had lots of different kinds of nuts and dried fruit (along with something to pack them all together with).  I was thinking it was a good choice for my diabetic Dad - looked tasty, would pass his snack test (ie, has to have some sugar or ingredient that is generally a no-no or it doesn't count as a snack) and be more balanced than his typical snack of choice.  And then I saw an article similar to this which would result in reasonable sized servings.

While she has the grandkids visiting, you could add in some brownies made in muffin tins.  They'll eat the majority and she could have an indulgence with them.  I always make my brownies in muffin tins (usually the mini ones) for portion control and to increase the edge pieces (which are my favorite).

Help!

I need something or somethings that can be kept in a cooler and then eaten by a family of 4 where we will be eating in a meeting room surrounded by people.  I don't want to take foods that have a strong smell like egg salad or tuna salad.  I am tired of my fall back of either chicken salad, curry salad or cowboy caviar.  I suggested the orzo shrimp someone gave me the recipe for a while back, and although tasty, we are all worried about the fishy smell. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Shrimp doesn't usually have a strong odor to me, so I wouldn't think that would be a problem (although kudos to you for being so thoughtful of others).  Could you sub in chicken for the shrimp?

I don't know, I wonder how chicken would taste.  Because that recipe was unbelievably perfect, I think anything would pale in comparison.  ::giggle::

I think shrimp has a very strong smell for people that don't like it, so I'd stay away from that personally. what about simple BLT'S?

Yeah, I love shrimp, but I can't stand it being made.  And I love fish, so who knows!!!

BizBuzz here's a link to 100 picnic recipes, which include a variety of dishes that would keep well in a cooler and could be eaten easily http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/02/dining/02mini.html?_r=0   

Several are there, thanks for that.

I will go through these, but if anyone else has ideas, I am all for it!

• Love 1

Help!

I need something or somethings that can be kept in a cooler and then eaten by a family of 4 where we will be eating in a meeting room surrounded by people.  I don't want to take foods that have a strong smell like egg salad or tuna salad.  I am tired of my fall back of either chicken salad, curry salad or cowboy caviar.  I suggested the orzo shrimp someone gave me the recipe for a while back, and although tasty, we are all worried about the fishy smell. 

Anyone have any ideas?

While this is still a chicken salad, I make two different chicken salads with flavored hummus instead of mayo or Greek yogurt that are completely different than any chicken salad you have ever had before. Something you can put on sandwiches, pita, crackers, wrap up in lettuce or put on pretty much anything. Would that be of any interest?

• Love 4

For the one hummus chicken salad, you take 2 cups of shredded chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken so I didn't have to cook chicken breasts, as I am lazy), 8 oz. of garlic hummus, 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion, 2 tablespoons of finely chopped red pepper, 4 tablespoons of finely chopped celery, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, a dash of salt, and some fresh ground black pepper. Mix the lemon juice and veggies with the hummus first, then add the chicken, salt and pepper. I use Tribe brand hummus, but that's because it's my favorite. Really, any flavor of hummus would be good with this one because the ingredients are so basic.

The other has 2 cups of shredded chicken, 8 oz. sweet red pepper hummus, 1/3rd cup of dried cherries or cranberries, 1/4 cup of finely chopped walnuts, a stalk of celery, and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Pretty much the same deal for this one- mix the lemon juice and non-chicken ingredients together first, then mix the chicken in last. This one needs to stay with the red pepper hummus though, because the sweetness of the cherries blends so well with the flavor of the red pepper hummus. I use Tribe, but I know Sabra makes one too. Bon Appétit!

Edited by Mindy McIndy
  • Love 4

I'd like a few suggestions, preferably uncomplicated, for making quinoa palatable.  I like the nutritional benefits I've read about but....................... I made some several weeks ago, took a few bites and threw the rest away.  I am not in any way a fussy eater.  I'll eat almost anything that isn't offal and doesn't have black walnuts in it but the quinoa was just yucky.  I can't remember exactly how I cooked it but I know I had a package and followed the directions.  There must be a better way.

• Love 1

I'd like a few suggestions, preferably uncomplicated, for making quinoa palatable.  I like the nutritional benefits I've read about but....................... I made some several weeks ago, took a few bites and threw the rest away.  I am not in any way a fussy eater.  I'll eat almost anything that isn't offal and doesn't have black walnuts in it but the quinoa was just yucky.  I can't remember exactly how I cooked it but I know I had a package and followed the directions.  There must be a better way.

Would cooking it in broth help?  Adding spices/herbs to the cooking liquid?  I usually cook mine in vegetable or chicken broth with a dash of dried oregano and basil.  Other times, I add frozen vegetables about three to five minutes before cooking time ends.  I don't eat rice much anymore (and I'm Chinese!!!) and have replaced it with quinoa (which I eat at least once a week), bulgur, buckwheat grains and sometimes, farro and spelt. 

If you want something a bit more...different...try quinoa casserole.  Cook quinoa as directed, then mix with vegetables, cheese (either dairy or vegan) and protein with a bit of tomato sauce.  Place it in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes and serve. 

ETA: Fried quinoa (i.e. fried rice with quinoa) is good, too.  Make it as you would make fried rice.

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 1

mlp, I've only got one to add to that: try rinsing the quinoa thoroughly first.  Most packaged quinoa has been rinsed before packaging, because quinoa has a naturally bitter taste to its hull.  Just stick it in a strainer and rinse it thoroughly and that will also help.  

• Love 1

, because quinoa has a naturally bitter taste to its hull.

Thanks! I didn't know that and I'll bet that was the problem - nasty, bitter taste.  I'll be sure to rinse it well next time.

• Love 1

The other has 2 cups of shredded chicken, 8 oz. sweet red pepper hummus, 1/3rd cup of dried cherries or cranberries, 1/4 cup of finely chopped walnuts, a stalk of celery, and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Pretty much the same deal for this one- mix the lemon juice and non-chicken ingredients together first, then mix the chicken in last. This one needs to stay with the red pepper hummus though, because the sweetness of the cherries blends so well with the flavor of the red pepper hummus. I use Tribe, but I know Sabra makes one too. Bon Appétit!

It never crossed my mind to substitute hummus for mayonnaise but I had everything on hand except chicken so I bought a rotisserie chicken and made this yesterday.  I used dried cranberries because I always have those and Sabra hummus and just loved the result.  So thank you Mindy McIndy.  I'll be making this on a regular basis and I plan to try the other version as well.

• Love 2

It never crossed my mind to substitute hummus for mayonnaise but I had everything on hand except chicken so I bought a rotisserie chicken and made this yesterday.  I used dried cranberries because I always have those and Sabra hummus and just loved the result.  So thank you Mindy McIndy.  I'll be making this on a regular basis and I plan to try the other version as well.

Never occurred to me, either!  Greek yogurt is my go-to substitute for mayonnaise and sour cream! 

Thanks! I didn't know that and I'll bet that was the problem - nasty, bitter taste.  I'll be sure to rinse it well next time.

I probably should have added: rinse prior to cooking :-)  Although it's probably obvious, since pasta is rinsed afterward, it's possible someone would thoroughly rinse cooked quinoa.  

I've used quinoa in a breakfast bake -- white quinoa as opposed to red -- and the recipe suggested rinsing even for the pre-rinsed variety (which I was using).  It made a noticeable difference, so I've been rinsing all quinoa ever since.  It also improves the texture, I think. 

• Love 1

Just curious... I'm am currently preparing my first ever fresh artichoke. It's steaming on the stove as I type. It was hard to find a dipping sauce recipe online that did not call for Greek yogurt (not something I ever have in my house), mayo or butter (which aren't diet friendly). I found a recipe for a balsamic vinaigrette sauce which I whipped up but was curious if anyone here has tried something good before.

You could do something with mustard.  I've never tried that myself, as I hate mustard, but I've seen it done.

Or a lemon juice/olive oil/white wine base with whatever flavors you want to add - that I have done, and it's tasty.  Garlic and chiles are good. 

A salsa verde might be a nice pairing, too.

This recipe does use butter, but just a tablespoon for 4 artichokes worth of sauce; it's mostly wine and garlic.

• Love 1

Thanks for those tips! The balsamic concoction I came up with was pretty tasty and the artichoke itself was so much fun to eat! I might have to splurge and try a butter or mayo based sauce this weekend. Mr. Mountain wants to try a fresh artichoke and tomorrow is football night, which means a cheat day for me with beer and snacks. If I can keep the snacks healthy to offset the beer even better!

Speaking of healthy, my guilty pleasure is cheesy, yummy, spinach artichoke dip ( I love artichokes if you can't tell). I found a recipe for a cheese less version that uses Cashew Cream in the place of cheese. It looks fairly simple to make your own but I wonder what part of the store one would find cashew cream? I'm going to go out tomorrow and look for some, or make my own and try using cucumbers as a dip instead of pita chips.

the artichoke itself was so much fun to eat!

Right?  When I was a kid, my mom would sometimes cater to me by fixing artichokes as a side for a main dish I wasn't overly fond of, because the fun of eating one would blunt my disappointment.

They grow nearly year-round here, so I eat a lot of them.

I'm making spinach, artichoke and cheese dip as tomorrow's game day snack, too (but with cheese).  I have no idea where one would find pre-made cashew cream -- in the dairy aisle near the sour cream, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.?  Or maybe in the specialty aisle or deli with the store-made hummus, guacamole, etc.?

your own but I wonder what part of the store one would find cashew cream?

It's rare to find cashew cream in a store because it has to be used or frozen fairly promptly.  Sometimes a place like whole foods will have it as a specialty item, or another health food grocer, but you do need to call ahead and ask to be sure.  

It's an item used by Vegans for the most part, but also people attempting dairy-free.  Be aware it is far from low-fat, but it is one of the "good fats".  I don't really know how to say this, so I'm just going to do the rip-the-bandaid off approach....if you've never had it before, you might now want to have it as a party item....nuts can upset the stomach of a person unused to consuming them in a higher concentration, because you would really want to eat much less than you normally would.  

I make a cheesecake with raw cashews and people found that out the hard way.  "Wow this is delicious!" "Yeah, but you really want to keep the portions very small..."  and then everyone ended up with "nut belly"  (epic cases of gas, basically).  

However, when you use Cashew cream in place of heavy cream, it's not quite the same thing, just be aware it's a "be a little sparing with portions" type of thing.  

Here's how you make it:  Get raw cashews and soak well over night in the fridge, covered with water.  6 hours or longer is generally what is required.  Drain, rinse and discard that water.  Then if you have a high powered blender (that is best) or a food processor , process well (with the addition of small amounts of water that you add AFTER you've blended initially (keeps it from being too runny, to add by the tablespoon until desired consistency is achieved)  :-)  

It's really actually very nice stuff, but please heed the tummy advice.  Either limit the amount anyone ingests, or have everyone take papaya supplements, or beano, because upon first exposure, it's super rich often will cause epic farting (I am sorry, but really, the only way to help people avoid that fate is to be honest about, I apologize for mentioning flatulence at this level).  

Edited by stillshimpy

Thanks for the advice about cashew cream. It would have only been for personal consumption however I was unable to find any in the store. To make my own would have cost about $10.00 and I didn't want to spend that kind of money on top of everything else so I decided to make my usual creamy, cheesy dip but only half of what I normally make somI don't over eat :)

I picked up a couple of pounds of stewing beef yesterday.  I don't know why, it just looked good.  Now I need to do something with it. Any suggestions?  Preferably something that I can freeze for weeknight meals.  And no mushrooms.  Mushrooms are evil. 

My mom saw an ad for Silk cashew milk, and I've seen cashew butter in the store -- I wonder if either of those could substitute for cashew cream? Just wondering, since I've never used either.

No, it wouldn't.  Cashew cream is basically a vegan substitute for heavy cream.  Cashew milk has much higher water content and it usually doesn't work to try and evaporation/reduction because it intensifies the nutty flavor.  Cashew butters are usually salted and made from roasted cashews. 

It's a good thought though :-)  

MountainAir, if you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have enough raw cashews for about half that cost and it should churn out two pints.  Still not free, but organic heavy cream usually runs about 3.50 where I am, so it's pretty comparable, if you ever get the yen :-) 

Quof, this is my mom's beef stew recipe.  I've never tried to freeze it before, but I don't see why you couldn't.

2lbs stew beef

3 onions, quartered

4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks

3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks

1/2 package frozen peas

1 can Cream of Onion soup*

1 can water

2 stalks celery, sliced

1tsp. oregano

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

Brown meat on all sides.

Mix soup, water, salt, pepper and oregano

Pour into a 3 quart casserole dish and stir in meat.

Put in oven at 350 degrees for a half hour.

Add vegetables and cover.

Cook another hour and a half.

If the vegetables get to brown, add a little water mixed with flour.

*Personal note:  I can't find Cream of Onion, so I used Cream of Mushroom.  I know you don't like mushrooms, but Cream of Celery might work, too.

Quof, this is my mom's beef stew recipe.  I've never tried to freeze it before, but I don't see why you couldn't.

Sounds good!  My experience with freezing beef stew is that the texture of the vegetables is about the only thing that ends up being noticeably different.  They don't go to complete mush, but they will get a little softer during the process.

BTW, you can also make stew using a pressure cooker. The handy thing about doing it that way, other than having shorter cooking times, is that you can do all of the steps in the cooker (brown the meat with the lid off), which means fewer pots & pans to wash up afterward. You also don't heat up the kitchen as much as you would using the oven, which is handy during hot weather.

• Love 1

General food inquiry:  My brother loves the pickles at Subway - both the sliced ones on the sandwiches and larger ones you get on the side.  A quick search on the internet shows they are made by Kruger Food who only sell commercially.

Anyone have any recommendations for similar tasting ones available through grocery stores?

So I am having a hysterectomy on Wednesday and will need a lot of iron. Due to my gastroparesis, red meat is out, so I was thinking spanakopita, since spinach has a lot of iron. Does anyone have a kickass spanakopita recipe I can try (or have someone else make for me)?

Does anyone have a kickass spanakopita recipe

Do you have a Meijer grocery store near you?  They have frozen ones under their store brand and they're great.  Better yet, all you have to do is bake them.

Try the liquid form of Geritol. My SIL had a lifelong problem with iron deficiency no matter what she ate and took iron supplements, she always got rejected for donating blood. She started taking the liquid Geritol and now her iron levels are always good.

(edited)

So I am having a hysterectomy on Wednesday and will need a lot of iron.

Regarding iron: as someone who has been battling anemia for months now I'll add my 2¢ on what's helped me. I take iron supplements, in a mixed form of iron. It's helped, but very slowly. Probably because I had wiped out my reserves & rebuilding them takes time. I could tell a difference when I added desiccated liver capsules to my existing supplements. I get a grass fed version from Amazon that was recommended by some folks from the Weston A Price Foundation. I also eat pumpkin seeds often. They have a high iron content. (TMI - they also tend to help with any constipation extra iron supplementation can cause) I actually got the shell on pumpkin seeds because in my hours of research to find hints to kick this dang anemia in the rear I read that that helps. I'm not 100% sure one way or the other, but I figure it adds fiber to my diet. I hope your surgery went well. Edited by ramble

Thanks for the suggestions! I am anemic too because of my gastroparesis and inability to hold down most solid food, so I do iron supplements already. The surgery went well, and now I'm just in a lot of pain and can't sleep. But it will get better. But again, thank you.

Does anyone have a meatloaf recipe that has gotten raves from people that don't generally like meatloaf? My mother lives with me and my brother is visiting and they both love meatloaf, but I find it disgusting. It is the texture that I hate, more so than the flavor. It is too mushy for me.

As far as flavor, I don't mind a moderate amount of onion, love garlic, but cannot stand any kind of peppers. No one in the family likes fennel. (I have no idea if fennel ever goes in meatloaf, but just thought I should mention it.)

• Love 1