Type keyword(s) to search

I Need a Recipe!

• Start Topic

I'm not much of a baker, but there's a brownie recipe I want to make.  The recipe calls for instant espresso or coffee, but I don't have that.  How much brewed espresso/coffee would I need if I were to use that as a sub?  Or should I stick with the grounds?  

On 4/6/2019 at 9:57 PM, Bastet said:

Do you have a favorite recipe for a cold dip that's good with chips and/or crackers?

A friend and I have movie nights, and when she hosts, she just makes onion dip from the onion soup packet as our snack (or sometimes opens a bag of Cheetos Puffs, heh), so she's pretty easy to please (it just has to be vegetarian).  I usually cook an appetizer when I host, but I'm not going to have time next weekend, even to heat something up on the stove; I need something I can make in advance, toss in the fridge, and then take out and serve cold when I rush in minutes before she arrives. 

I may make guacamole, because I have plenty of avocados and we both love it, or make the dill dip I usually serve with vegetables and include chips/crackers (her preference), or maybe a spinach dip I haven't made in eons (because I always make a hot spinach, artichoke & cheese dip whenever the spinach dip urge strikes), but I thought I'd see if any of your favorite chip & (cold) dip recipes spark my interest.

No hummus; neither of us like it.  No onion dip; I never make a homemade version for her, because I feel like it would be saying, "Here's how it's supposed to be done."  I hate cream cheese, so nothing with that.  (I don't like yogurt, either, but it's easy to sub a mayo/sour cream combo; with cream cheese, I always worry that substituting/omitting will result in an overall taste that doesn't quite come together because it was relying on that particular flavor being an element.)  Other than that, let me hear it.  We'll order in a late-night dinner, probably pizza, but this is very casual so no need to coordinate with that.

Bottom layer vegetarian refried beans mixed with a bit of Ortega taco sauce (if you’d never have use for that in real life you can use taco seasonings so no waste)

guacamole (optional but you guys like)

next sour cream mixed with some hidden valley ranch seasoning (redneck alert I know- but it really makes this good- when making a 9x13 I use about a 1/2 packet to 16 oz SC. This can be omitted as well but give it a try sometime)

Now you go with what you like. I use fresh shredded cheddar, green onions and either chopped tomatoes but off season have used drained rotel. Olives popular - I’m not a fan. I find shredded lettuce doesn’t hold up well. 

I know this is a very common dip but the addition of the Ortega sauce and ranch packet changes it to something quite addictive.  Traditional tortilla chips and Frito scoops both do well here. 

Even though it’s 2 people I’d still make an 8x8 or so bc it holds up nicely for a few days to snack on as long as you don’t use lettuce. Can absolutely be made ahead 

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, PRgal said:

I'm not much of a baker, but there's a brownie recipe I want to make.  The recipe calls for instant espresso or coffee, but I don't have that.  How much brewed espresso/coffee would I need if I were to use that as a sub?  Or should I stick with the grounds?  

Don’t use the grounds. How much would depend on how much instant espresso power or coffee was in the recipe. You could also just not add it because typically it isn’t enough to make it taste like the coffee but just enhance the chocolate and brewed coffee doesn’t have the same effect. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

If you have regular instant coffee, you could try the first method on this page.  Or this.  There's a recipe for using leftover espresso grounds here.  I always keep some instant espresso powder in the freezer, but I agree with biakbiak, that you don't absolutely have to use it.  I'm sure the brownies will be fine without.

• Love 1
On 4/6/2019 at 6:57 PM, Bastet said:

Do you have a favorite recipe for a cold dip that's good with chips and/or crackers?

A friend and I have movie nights, and when she hosts, she just makes onion dip from the onion soup packet as our snack (or sometimes opens a bag of Cheetos Puffs, heh), so she's pretty easy to please (it just has to be vegetarian).  I usually cook an appetizer when I host, but I'm not going to have time next weekend, even to heat something up on the stove; I need something I can make in advance, toss in the fridge, and then take out and serve cold when I rush in minutes before she arrives. 

I may make guacamole, because I have plenty of avocados and we both love it, or make the dill dip I usually serve with vegetables and include chips/crackers (her preference), or maybe a spinach dip I haven't made in eons (because I always make a hot spinach, artichoke & cheese dip whenever the spinach dip urge strikes), but I thought I'd see if any of your favorite chip & (cold) dip recipes spark my interest.

No hummus; neither of us like it.  No onion dip; I never make a homemade version for her, because I feel like it would be saying, "Here's how it's supposed to be done."  I hate cream cheese, so nothing with that.  (I don't like yogurt, either, but it's easy to sub a mayo/sour cream combo; with cream cheese, I always worry that substituting/omitting will result in an overall taste that doesn't quite come together because it was relying on that particular flavor being an element.)  Other than that, let me hear it.  We'll order in a late-night dinner, probably pizza, but this is very casual so no need to coordinate with that.

You might try using chevre or using Labneh and thinning it out.

On 4/6/2019 at 9:57 PM, Bastet said:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/amy-thielen/fried-onion-dip-2204700

I know you're past needing a dip, but Amy Thielen's onion dip is MIND BLOWINGLY GOOD.  It's fucking incredible, and maybe this will change your friend's mind on using the soup packet.

• Love 2
On 4/11/2019 at 5:36 PM, biakbiak said:

How much is water to use can very based on a variety of factors including the weather, so just get it to a consistency that you like. I realize that isn’t very helpful!

On 4/10/2019 at 6:04 PM, jenh526 said:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but here it is. I live at about 5000 ft elevation, so when I bake Tollhouse cookies I have to use the high altitude recipe. The recipe says to “add 2 tsp water with flour”. The first time I tried this I added the 2 tsp water to the flour mixture. Later I convinced myself this was not correct. So now when I add the flour to the wet ingredients I add 2 tsp water with the first addition of flour. Now I’m thinking this isn’t right either, and I should add 2 tsp with each addition of flour (I don’t have a mixer, doing all this by hand). The last batch of cookies I did turned out well with just the 2 tsp water added with the first addition of flour, if a tad dry. The batter was very hard to mix though. Anyone familiar with high altitude baking that has a suggestion?

First, I would add the water with the other wet ingredients to help it incorporate evenly.

Yes! Weather, type of flour, brand of flour, the protein content can affect the outcome... It also depends on how you measure your dry ingredients. Do you weigh your ingredients, or do you scoop into a cup, or stir and scoop, or spoon into the cup? Using any of these methods can make a "measure" of flour have different actual amounts. 2 teaspoons of water may be ok for one amount and too little or too much for another. 

It is why bakeries will measure by weight and use ratios to get consistent results. It helped a lot with my baking. 

If you have access to a scale you might want to experiment. Measure "your" cups of flour the way you do it then weigh it. Remember to tare the scale to zero with your preferred empty measuring cup or the empty bowl you dump it in before adding the ingredient. Keep experimenting and weighing until you get a cookie you like.

Few baked goods have ever gone to waste in my house, even unsuccessful experiments. 😉

• Useful 1

I don't need a recipe. I'm looking for a recommendation of a non-dairy cream cheese product. I'm making cucumber bites for a pot luck lunch appetizer that uses cream cheese, but my friend who will be there can't eat dairy.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I don't need a recipe. I'm looking for a recommendation of a non-dairy cream cheese product. I'm making cucumber bites for a pot luck lunch appetizer that uses cream cheese, but my friend who will be there can't eat dairy.

Thanks.

This site sounds like it has what you're looking for, though I haven't tried any of their products.

15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Thanks.

Since you aren't looking for a recipe, I'd just recommend calling your local health/natural food store and asking if they sell vegan cream cheese. It would definitely be less fuss to buy it rather than make it.

But if you change your mind or your store doesn't sell it, try this ?

https://simpleveganblog.com/vegan-cream-cheese/

I can't say I've tried this, but it sounds fairly simple and inexpensive. I do think though, depending upon where you live, that if you have a Whole Foods or even an HEB or large grocery chain store, that you might be able to buy it premade.

I was planning on mixing the vegan cream cheese with dill, putting a dollop on a cucumber slice and topping it with a little smoked salmon. It just occurred to me that my friend can't tolerate cows milk. but she can eat goat and sheep's milk cheeses. I wonder if cucumber, soft goat cheese, and smoked salmon would work.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I was planning on mixing the vegan cream cheese with dill, putting a dollop on a cucumber slice and topping it with a little smoked salmon. It just occurred to me that my friend can't tolerate cows milk. but she can eat goat and sheep's milk cheeses. I wonder if cucumber, soft goat cheese, and smoked salmon would work.

Sounds good to me.

• Love 2

I went to Whole Foods today and bought a dill-garlic chevre made with goat's milk and Treeline brand herb-garlic treenut (cashew) cheese. We did taste tests with both on English cucumber slices topped with smoked salmon. They were both good, and I was surprised how much I enjoyed the cashew cheese. I think they would look pretty with a small sprig of fresh dill on top but I'm not sure I want to go to al that fuss.

• Love 1

Anyone have a favorite ice cream recipe? I have a machine and also a ton of eggs and heavy cream but am not being inspired. I have recently made vanilla and strawberry but any recipe is welcome. 

On 3/28/2019 at 4:57 AM, Mittengirl said:

I wonder if the problem lies not just with the recipe, but with “modern” ingredients.

Also, fresh eggs taste different than store-bought so you know eggs tasted different in the past.

• Love 1

My neighborhood loves a party and already two are scheduled for August. One is a bring the dish and I’m in charge for vegetables for 20. I usually like to bring speck wrapped asparagus, but Costco (or my other local stores) have stopped carrying it. Any suggestions? 

27 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

My neighborhood loves a party and already two are scheduled for August. One is a bring the dish and I’m in charge for vegetables for 20. I usually like to bring speck wrapped asparagus, but Costco (or my other local stores) have stopped carrying it. Any suggestions? 

Can you find prosciutto?

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Can you find prosciutto?

Yes,  I can use that as a substitute. Still I like the Speck better and was wondering if anyone had a different or better option. A kind of food that they don’t expect. I don’t choose to do the veggie casseroles thing. I also think that squash/zucchini sautéed is not a good choice because it is what most restaurants use when they want a cheap/average offering. 

I probably will do what you suggested. Is there something unique that I could drizzle on it to up the game? 

37 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Is there something unique that I could drizzle on it to up the game? 

Not unique, but I've usually had it served with reduced balsamic and that's tasty.

• Love 2
Just now, Bastet said:

Not unique, but I've usually had it served with reduced balsamic and that's tasty.

I have regular balsamic (which could be reduced) and thick 40 year old balsamic. Is one better than the other? 

17 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I prefer Iberico ham to prosciutto.  In case that's something you can find.  I would imagine it's easier than finding speck, I've never seen that anywhere near me!

• Love 1

What do y’all think if I did skewers of roasted vegetables (onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and zucchini)? I don’t even know why I’m stressing so much and the party isn’t even until the 10th. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

What do y’all think if I did skewers of roasted vegetables (onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and zucchini)? I don’t even know why I’m stressing so much and the party isn’t even until the 10th. 

I am never really a fan because I have never had one where all the veg was cooked as it should be and just would rather roast them separately so they all get done at their own time. 

• Useful 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I think that sounds good. I will also say recently I skewered all of these (sans the tomatoes) and hit them with a little oil and a good BBQ rub and grilled them and to my surprise they were the hit of my meal. People devoured them. Something about that char just ups the ante. 

This doesn’t fit your request but I’ll add bc it’s that damn good. I’ve tried fresh but have to concede Green Giant kitchen cut green beans work better (I know). This would be for one can:

Dice two strips bacon and cook over medium heat til cooked but not crisp. Drain can of green beans but not 100% -leave a little liquid. Add the beans and salt, pepper and a little sugar. Bring to light boil. Top with a 1/4 onion, diced and don’t stir. Cover and turn heat to low and let simmer 45 minutes (have gone longer with no issues). Stir when ready to eat. If people like southern green beans man, those are good. 

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 2

I'm exploring some non-meat options for meals.  I already eat lots of sauteed/steamed veggies and am a big fan of most kinds of beans and also brown rice.  I grew up on red beans and rice and -- one of my mom's best go-to meals -- large lima beans with sausage (yum!).  However, I'm trying to find good recipes for beans (sometimes paired with brown rice) that are still tasty without the meat.  I know that I can add tomatoes to some recipes, and onions are always good.  But, does anyone have some good recipes?  I want to make a pot of the large lima beans soon, but am not sure of what to add in to make it flavorful (am also thinking about black bean recipes).  If I add onion, should chopped onion be added raw to let the pieces cook with the beans?  Should I saute them first (maybe let them begin to brown) and add them in near the end?  What about seasoning?  Red pepper flakes?  Garlic?  

I do know how to cook pots of beans--I've been cooking them for years.  But, I've always relied on meat (sausage or bacon--sometimes more, sometimes just a little) to give flavor (along with onion and the occasional bay leaf).  I'm just not sure how to cook them totally vegetarian and still have good flavor.

5 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I'm exploring some non-meat options for meals.  I already eat lots of sauteed/steamed veggies and am a big fan of most kinds of beans and also brown rice.  I grew up on red beans and rice and -- one of my mom's best go-to meals -- large lima beans with sausage (yum!).  However, I'm trying to find good recipes for beans (sometimes paired with brown rice) that are still tasty without the meat.  I know that I can add tomatoes to some recipes, and onions are always good.  But, does anyone have some good recipes?  I want to make a pot of the large lima beans soon, but am not sure of what to add in to make it flavorful (am also thinking about black bean recipes).  If I add onion, should chopped onion be added raw to let the pieces cook with the beans?  Should I saute them first (maybe let them begin to brown) and add them in near the end?  What about seasoning?  Red pepper flakes?  Garlic?  

I do know how to cook pots of beans--I've been cooking them for years.  But, I've always relied on meat (sausage or bacon--sometimes more, sometimes just a little) to give flavor (along with onion and the occasional bay leaf).  I'm just not sure how to cook them totally vegetarian and still have good flavor.

The first thing I thought of when I saw this was Peas and Rice, or Arroz con Grandules. I honestly haven't found a good recipe for this yet, but that's more so because I don't like really like beans, so I refrain from making it often. This appears to be a good recipe for Peas and Rice. The author prepares the dish starting with dried beans, so maybe use his method as a model.

• Love 1

I usually put an onion I have quartered and some garlic cloves I have smashed when I cook beans along with some herbs   when I cook the beans and take them out when I drain the liquid and than sauté onions and garlic and more herbs and add the cooked beans if I am just serving them by themselves.

• Love 1

For lima beans, I've always made them like my mom.  I use the frozen ones.  Put them in a pot with olive oil or butter, maybe 1 to 2 tbsp for a whole pack, then add water, not to cover.  Salt and pepper.   Then cook the beans for avout 5 to 7 minutes on high, with the lid on.  Take the lid off and cook until the liquid is almost reduced completely. 

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, IWantCandy71 said:

I've never cooked game hens, sorry ! 

I need a fool proof (or almost fool proof) roll out sugar cookie recipe. 

I'd tell you to look at ATK, but unfortunately, unless you subscribe, you won't get it. I do (hint, hint - pm me).

• Love 1
21 hours ago, biakbiak said:

My boyfriend randomly bought Cornish game hens. Anyone have a favorite recipe?

Silo Chicken (Skitch Henderson's Silo Cooking School recipe)

3 small chickens or large Cornish * game hens (1.5-2 lbs each)

½ lemon

1-1/2 tsps coarse salt

1 tsp finely chopped fresh sage or: 1/3 tsp leaf sage, crumbled

½ tsp snipped fresh chives

¼ tsp mild paprika or: ¼ tsp mild ground chilies

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

1 jar (12 oz) apricot preserves

½ cup chicken broth

1 Tbsp soy sauce

1 Tbsp Dijon mustard

½ tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/8 tsp leaf thyme

1 tsp grated lemon rind

½ tsp black pepper

Vegetable oil

Remove back bones from chickens or hens.  Cut each chicken in half through breast.  Wipe chicken with damp paper toweling. Pound gently with flat side of cleaver or bottom of heavy saucepan to flatten chicken as much as possible.

Squeeze lemon over chicken.  Sprinkle with salt, sage, chives, paprika and cayenne. Wrap chicken in wax paper and place in 12 x 9 x 2” baking pan.  Refrigerate overnight.

Let chicken stand at room temperature 1 hour before grilling.

Combine apricot preserves, chicken broth, soy sauce, mustard, thyme, lemon rind and pepper in saucepan.  Bring to boiling.  Lower heat and simmer 5 minutes.  Let cool.

Prepare charcoal for grilling, or preheat gas unit.

Place chicken halves, skin side down, on grid.  Sear over high heat until browned, 2 to 3 minutes.  Turn chicken over and brown other side.  Remove chicken from grid.

Cover grid with heavy duty aluminum foil; punch ventilation holes every 2”. Brush foil lightly with oil

Return chicken to foil, skin side up.  Baste well with apricot mixture.  Cover grill with dome.  Cook, basting about every 5 minutes with apricot mixture, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with fork and meat is no longer pink near bone, about 40 minutes.  Makes 6 servings.

Per serving: 590 calories; 42 gm carbs; 1,060 mg sodium; 154 mg cholesterol; 25 gm

• Love 2
14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Silo Chicken (Skitch Henderson's Silo Cooking School recipe)

Thanks! Decided to go Persian but this looks good. Next time they are spontaneously purchased I will try it!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Thanks! Decided to tho Persian but this looks good. Next time they are spontaneously purchased I will try it!

I haven't made this in years... just don't buy Cornish hens any more. But this is delicious so maybe I'll buy some little hens and make this again.

Favorite soup recipes?

I roast a whole chicken pretty frequently, and combine those carcasses with veggie scraps to always have stock ingredients in the freezer.  So, with a regular supply of stock, I make a lot of soups, rotating through many favorite recipes, periodically trying something new.  I'm in a something new mood, so would enjoy some personal recommendations to supplement my browsing.

I hate beans and potatoes, I love green vegetables but am so-so on root vegetables, and I like most meats, poultry, shellfish, etc. but don't like tofu.  I'm particularly interested in soups that don't include noodles or rice (I only eat soup for lunch, and often have a salad with it, so it doesn't need to be hearty), but also like plenty that do.

Blue Apron sent me a meal called General Tso's stir fry using firm tofu. We don't do tofu, so I contacted them and told them to NEVER send me a meal with tofu again. They also credited my account for the meal. Looking at the recipe I'll use chicken. But now I have 14 oz. of extra firm tofu. I thought about putting it in smoothies, but those recipes call for silken tofu. Googling has not been clear if I can make the extra firm tofu into silken tofu. I was thinking of putting it into the blender with warm/hot water.Any thoughts?

10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Googling has not been clear if I can make the extra firm tofu into silken tofu. I was thinking of putting it into the blender with warm/hot water.Any thoughts?

I have not tried that - however, if it's just going to get liquefied in a smoothie with other ingredients, then adding extra liquid should be fine. I'd recommend only putting in a small amount to see how well it blends and how it affects flavor.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/30/2020 at 11:49 AM, chessiegal said:

Blue Apron sent me a meal called General Tso's stir fry using firm tofu. We don't do tofu, so I contacted them and told them to NEVER send me a meal with tofu again. They also credited my account for the meal. Looking at the recipe I'll use chicken. But now I have 14 oz. of extra firm tofu. I thought about putting it in smoothies, but those recipes call for silken tofu. Googling has not been clear if I can make the extra firm tofu into silken tofu. I was thinking of putting it into the blender with warm/hot water.Any thoughts?

I think extra firm tofu would add a weird texture to a smoothie.

Can I ask why you "don't you do tofu"?   One thing I've found is that people try to think tofu can be pretend meat/chicken.  It's not, it's tofu.

I've found a good "gateway drug" for non-tofu lover friends is baked tofu.  Drain the tofu, blot well with paper towels, whisk together (just suggestions) sesame oil, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, fish oil, gojujang.  Cut tofu block in half horizontally, then eight strips vertically.  Put tofu on baking sheet, add marinade, top with sesame seeds.  Cook for 30 minutes at 350.

Edited by Brookside
Directionally challenged
  • Love 3