Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Episode 4

• Start Topic

David Tennant really got to chew the scenery in this one--his "mad" scene was a hoot!  He makes so much out of this role.  And he gets to be the hero again, saving the groom.

Is Estella in the books?  I do remember the India story involves an attempted suttee, but fortunately it looks like they wrote that out.  

I do wish Ms. Fix would wear a hat, especially as a redhead with that superpale skin.  Nice to see her character developed a bit more.  

• Love 7

I can appreciate Passpartout's being mad about having to kill someone. Fogg's wasn't particularly sympathetic. But you did sign up to be the valet. Make the tea. 

I also can understand that they're intruding on people's lives for the sake of a bet. Passpartout has a point, but Fogg isn't going to listen to a servant at this point. 

Wow all the costumes from wedding were just stunning. 

I liked the mother who was basically running the wedding giving a ton of sass to Fogg. 

1 hour ago, HoodlumSheep said:

They must have picked up new luggage and clothes at some point. Here Fogg was down to a wad of cash and his one postcard last episode...

Can they wire money back then? I would think Fogg's wealth wasn't just stacks of cash in safe. Bellamy had dealings with the bank; surely, Foog has savings he could have the bank front. They're in India. There's probably British banks there. 

Who knew we needed a high af Tennant talking to a cow? And the he tells the cow he loves him. 

Great job by Fix, when Fogg said, 'I knew I was never good enough. You should have left.' Her reaction shot was just such sorrow. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, bluestocking said:

Is Estella in the books?  I do remember the India story involves an attempted suttee, but fortunately it looks like they wrote that out.

No there's no Estella or any backstory really for Fogg. I am very curious about when they'll explain this. There's a Princess Aouda in the book, whom they rescued from suttee; they've reused the name Aouda for the mother of the bride here. I did like how assertive she was, when Fogg tried to talk up what the British brought to India.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, bluestocking said:

I do remember the India story involves an attempted suttee, but fortunately it looks like they wrote that out. 

Suttee is probably too politically incorrect.  I don't believe Estella was mentioned in the book.

• Love 1

Not having read the book, it sounds like it was actually kind of thin. Having a tragic love lost for Fogg doesn't really put me out. Making the choice that the adventure is actually more than just a bet gives it some heft. Not that Fogg is going to confide in Passpartout. 

I do hope at least Fix finds out about Bellamy's attempted sabotage because she's going to be more determined than ever before. I'd rather Fogg find out directly from him. Otherwise, I think he's going to be so adamant to win that all these important events along the way might lose meaning to him. 

Looks like we're getting Fix/Passpartout too. The young servant who gifted the dress to Fix made a sideye about her and him, and Fix was sufficiently vehement in her denial that they're basically spelling it out with skywriting. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Not having read the book, it sounds like it was actually kind of thin.

I wouldn't say its "thin." Verne was more interested in an exciting story than character development in any of his books.  As I mentioned before I think his Fogg is a French stereotype of a cold, unemotional Englishman.

• Love 5

Verne's book focused less on "why" go round the world than on the adventures along the way. Plus in addition to the bet, the book's plot also had a bank thief plot, with Inspector Fix constantly trying to arrest Fogg or at least sabotage him. But I do agree that giving a better motivation to the journey does make it more compelling. The Jackie Chan version of 80 Days had a scientific motive, that Fogg had to quit being an inventor if he lost. If he won he would be head of the Royal Academy, or whatever knockoff it was called. Having a motive beyond money makes you care more about whether Fogg will win the bet.

I'm going to try to reread the whole book again before this show is over, just to refresh my memory and to enjoy the show's interesting changes.

Edited by Cress
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I liked last week's episode better as the plot involved actually going around the world in that one, not staying in one place.

Perhaps we could give this episode the title “Penelope Pit Stop”?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I wonder how significant will Fogg's love story turn out to be. Maybe they will meet again and she will be so impressed by his travelling that she will take him back.

BTW, I find the reactions that Fogg gets from various people after he announces the purpose of their journey interesting. Would people at that time be that aware that 80 days is some new milestone? I personally have no idea how quickly one could travel around the world today. And their estimation was based on a recently published article about a new railroad. Would this have been a part of general knowledge? 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

. And their estimation was based on a recently published article about a new railroad. Would this have been a part of general knowledge? 

In 1870 George Francis Train received a lot of newspaper publicity when traveled around the world in 80 days (though he spent considerable time in Paris during the Commune, traveling time was 80 days). Verne's book came out in 1872.

https://www.wingnet.org/rtw/RTW001O.HTM

Book about Train

https://www.amazon.com/Around-World-Citizen-Train-Sensational/dp/1903582113

BTW, the Concorde flew around the world in approx. 31 1/2 hours.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I wonder how significant will Fogg's love story turn out to be. Maybe they will meet again and she will be so impressed by his travelling that she will take him back.

I was leaning to that 'leaving' Fogg meant some tragic death. Back then dainty ladies died from 'exposure' and 'consumption'.

Women back then didn't just leave; it would be scandalous unless she was independently wealthy or royalty. 

Fogg probably laments that he didn't spend enough time with her and that's why she withered away. Or they were always making plans to travel but Fogg was always too busy, and he regrets it. 

He was the most empassioned when talking to the balloon maker about honoring his wife's memory by 'flying like angels' that it couldn't have been accidental he perked up so much just then. 

1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

In 1870 George Francis Train received a lot of newspaper publicity when traveled around the world in 80 days (though he spent considerable time in Paris during the Commune, traveling time was 80 days). Verne's book came out in 1872.

Everyone is always reading the newspapers in the Reform Club. There's a shot of a rack with a whole bunch of them. I bet the club gets papers from all over. In Fogg's social class, I could see it something they would talk about. They were actually getting into Fix's article with Fogg talking about new trains, etc., before Bellamy started harummphing. 

Would working classes like Passpartout and the others in the kitchen in the basement? Probably not. If you're not having two shillings to rub together, you're not spending any to buy a paper. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
22 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I was leaning to that 'leaving' Fogg meant some tragic death. Back then dainty ladies died from 'exposure' and 'consumption'.

Women back then didn't just leave; it would be scandalous unless she was independently wealthy or royalty. 

I don't think she is dead. He said something like "you were right to leave me", or something to that effect. And it doesn't seem like they were married, maybe engaged or not even that. Women could break engagement anytime.