Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Episode 3

• Start Topic

Unrealistic as always, but another gripping episode.  Some character development for our main trio too.  

I read a biography of Jane Digby a few years ago--and her life was just about exactly what they presented.  Was she in the original Verne book, or something added for the show?  

Edited by bluestocking
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, bluestocking said:

I read a biography of Jane Digby a few years ago--and her life was just about exactly what they presented.  Was she in the original Verne book, or something added for the show?  

I reread the book just before the show began to air in the US. Jane Digby does not appear, but then, there is no Abigail Fix Fortescue either! I don't think that Jules Verne could imagine a woman interested in traveling the globe. The only female character in the book appears in India, and she's a damsel in distress rescued by Fogg and Passepartout.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Finally found the forum for this show. Lol. I looked last week but I seemed to have missed it.

As someone who has not read the book nor watched any previous movie adaptations, I'm going into this totally blind and have been really enjoying it! 

I'm sure there's been a number of changes and updates but I can't be bothered by them this time around. Ignorance is bliss. Lol.

It's been a fun lil adventure so far. Great to watch during the gloomy winter months. 

I think Fogg, Fix and Passepartout are a really solid trio. I feel like this adaptation wouldn't work nearly as well if they didn't have the chemistry they do.

Another great episode! Jane Digby was a good companion for this week's episode. Her and her hubby. The actress who played her and David Tennant starred in an episode of Dr. Who together, did they not? Water on Mars or something? She was awesome in that too.

Passepartout :( tbh tho I can't really blame him for potentially taking up the evil dude's offer. He's had it rough.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 4

I knew the guide was going to rob Fogg, but that was a bit much. They weren't gone for more than 45 seconds. I'm hard pressed that the camels got so far that they were out of sight. 

I did like how Fix was so excited by the article. 

Bernard was ticked about Fogg dragging Abigail through the desert, but he actually didn't! Actually quite humbling of Fogg to apologize. 

Not great for the environment, but Fogg came through again with lighting the oil.

I do feel bad for Passepartout. He had no idea he would get in so over his head and now he's had to kill someone. I liked that this is Fix's journey now too. 

I hope they end up meeting other historical figures. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I knew the guide was going to rob Fogg, but that was a bit much. They weren't gone for more than 45 seconds.

This episode could have been subtitled: "Don't Pee in the Desert".  😄

Edited by tkc
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Jane Digby was a good companion for this week's episode. Her and her hubby. The actress who played her and David Tennant started in an episode of Dr. Who together, did they not? Water on Mars or something? She was awesome in that too.

Exactly right! I had to look her up because she looked so familiar, but I couldn't place her and that's where I recognized her from.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Popples said:

Exactly right! I had to look her up because she looked so familiar, but I couldn't place her and that's where I recognized her from.

Also Lady Smallwood from Sherlock!

• Love 4

That storm looked scary as hell. Kudos for combining the harsh reality of traveling through desert with some more lighthearted scenes, it's a good mix so far.

Lindsay Duncan is great in everything I have seen her in and her character sounds fascinating. I am getting a Doctor Who vibe from this show,  with them meeting historical figures like this.

I expected that Fogg would get his watch back considering how much of a focus it seemed to get in the beginning of the episode, but sadly it seems to be a goodbye to it. I am still impressed that he has managed to hold onto those postcards and any money. They seem to be losing luggage in each episode.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I would have sewed that wallet to my leg.

I like that Fogg is coming around to Fix, but he is still very classist to Passepartout. It was just, 'yeah you killed a guy. Shake it off.' He could have at least said, 'You were able to protect Abigail. You didn't have a choice. I'm going to make sure her father knows what you did for her.' 

On the other hand, Passepartout has been literally everywhere and speaks all the languages. You can snip about the bet all you want, but we know why you're hanging around pal. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 4
On 1/17/2022 at 7:54 PM, nx74defiant said:

I enjoyed learning that Jane Digby was a real person. I had to go and look up information on her. A very interesting woman.

I liked that they had her as a character, maybe some people might search out more info on her. She had a very interesting life and was the model for all those women in popular culture who ran off with Arab sheiks (from "The Sheik" to "The Wind and the Lion")  I wonder if they are going to have actual historical characters in every episode?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I suppose it depends where they are. They're supposed to be going to Hong Kong now.

I am completely speculating, but I assume take a ship from Hong Kong to America; presumably they'll port in San Francisco and then train all the way to the east coast. I would guess land in New York and then sail again to London. 

In the American West, I'm sure they'll meet some colorful pioneers. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

presumably they'll port in San Francisco and then train all the way to the east coast.

In the book the dismantling and burning the train takes place at this point, so that's out.  I'm guessing at least one gunfight, a meeting with Native Americans, and  some outlaws. As for historical figures, maybe a meeting with Emperor Norton in San Francisco, Wild Bill Hickok, Custer, Sitting Bull...?

Passepartout really is my favorite. Even before the series premiered. As really the guy needs his own show. He and Abagail have chemistry despite the former experiencing so much racism there.

Tennant has grown on me as he shows Fogg is not cold as a fish person like David Niven portrayed him to be as he is my second favorite but Pierce Brosnan my first.

Digby hopefully will get redeemed when Fix goes back to the UK there. Wished she was in more episodes. Actress really playing her was great.