Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: The Fall

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

I can't help thinking that if these kids weren't walking hormone bombs all these fights wouldn't be happening.

The Terry Silver I thought I remembered from the movie wouldn't have wimped out when Kreese barked at him.

I'm obviously overthinking all of this.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 3

I like Carrie Underwood, but felt her performance slowed the momentum of the tournament. I guess that's what was intended.

Robbie's scary. Will he ever reunite with his dad?

Hawk vs Miguel was a good match up at this point in the series. Did not expect that outcome. 😮

• Love 4

I did not expect that ending. Him yelling "Sensei!" kind of broke my heart.

I also didn't expect to see Carrie Underwood.

The behind the scenes drama of the tournament board is really amusing to me. Especially announcer guy's "Why does Ron have my mic?!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

There is no way kids who have only been learning for 6 weeks would even be in the same fighting level as kids who have been training all their lives.  Badass debate girl against Tory?  No way.  Kenny against Robby?  Never happen. 

Sam and her little triumphant smile to Tory can kiss my ass.  Really intensely dislike her this season.  

Miguel and Hawk fist bumping before the match?  Made me grin like a crazy person and I was really looking forward to the fight.  But no...

Seriously, Miyagi-Do and Eagle Fang?  Can't we all just get along??  I like them better working together and sniping at each other than being adversaries.

Nervously biting nails as I head into the final episode...

• Love 10

Live thoughts:

Me: There's only three dojos left in the Valley now? What happened to all the others from prior seasons/years? Weird.

5 minutes later...

No, there's a whole bunch of other people and dojos listed. They just only introduced these three for some reason. Mmkay.

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • LOL 2
On 12/31/2021 at 10:36 AM, NeenerNeener said:

I can't help thinking that if these kids weren't walking hormone bombs all these fights wouldn't be happening.

That. With karate training. And decent parenting. 

I'm extremely disappointed that Johnny and Daniel didn't reconcile before the tournament. I thought that this would have been what this season would have been about. 

On 12/31/2021 at 2:50 PM, Neiman said:

I like Carrie Underwood, but felt her performance slowed the momentum of the tournament. I guess that's what was intended.

I think they were sending up the 80s montage with her song. That was during all the qualifying rounds.  

I was super psyched Eli got his mojo back and beat down that bitch. And Johnny cheering Sam on was super cool. 

On 12/31/2021 at 3:37 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I love Hawk and Miguel, I was really into the fight, I can't believe what happened.

I don't think I understood what happened. Miguel looked like he was doing the flying watermelon, but pulled his back out? It didn't look like Eli did any dirty move. 

10 hours ago, munchiewoman said:

There is no way kids who have only been learning for 6 weeks would even be in the same fighting level as kids who have been training all their lives.  Badass debate girl against Tory?  No way.  Kenny against Robby?  Never happen. 

That's part of the ridiculousness of the show. There's no way Kenny should be in the tournament, and it looked like Robby broke his nose any way. Plus he'd have to have a parent sign off. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

don't think I understood what happened. Miguel looked like he was doing the flying watermelon, but pulled his back out? It didn't look like Eli did any dirty move. 

Oh no, it wasn't anything Eli did. Looked like Miguel injured his back trying to do that Flying Watermelon kick but, with his history.

15 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't think I understood what happened. Miguel looked like he was doing the flying watermelon, but pulled his back out? It didn't look like Eli did any dirty move

Eli didn’t do anything. The boy was paralyzed last season. It should have crept back up way sooner.

15 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That's part of the ridiculousness of the show. There's no way Kenny should be in the tournament, and it looked like Robby broke his nose any way. Plus he'd have to have a parent sign off. 

I'm watching a show where there are karate fights every day. I don't care about any of that. It's about the drama. We are also watching a continuation of Karate Kid. Where Daniel literally beat black belts after weeks of studying.

20 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Live thoughts:

Me: There's only three dojos left in the Valley now? What happened to all the others from prior seasons/years? Weird.

5 minutes later...

No, there's a whole bunch of other people and dojos listed. They just only introduced these three for some reason. Mmkay.

How many dojos do you expect them to cover? There are already complaints that characters from the cobra kai dojo get too much story. Every sports series does this. They only focus on the teams important to us. In the movies there are literally only two dojos mentioned even though there were clearly many. One of them, in the first movie, who was clearly a bona-fide martial artist with all the moves. He was just an obstacle for Johnny in reality. 

It would be funny to see to see the tournament from an outsider dojo perspective.

I actively despise Sam at this point. She never learns any of the lessons she should be learning.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 3

Okay tho, Eagle Fang's gi are on point.

ETA: I really love that they put in the skills divisions of the tournament, because it gives the other students who are less hand to hand flashy a chance to really shine. 

ETAx2: Moon and Amanda are my two fav characters always and forever in a straight stacked roster of characters. Those ladies always pull through. 

Forgot: I will watch the tournament committee come to a decision any day of the week.

Edited by Kate47
Moar thoughts
  • Love 3

So I am not super clear on the rules of the stupid bet. What happens if Myagi-do beats Cobra Kai but CK beats Eagle Fang? Who has to close?

On 1/2/2022 at 2:03 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

That's part of the ridiculousness of the show. 

Apparently any kind of concussion protocols don't exist in the Valley either. Seriously a guy smashing concrete blocks with his head?

I did find Daniel most annoying this episode. After he asked Robby why he was doing this, I wish the response was something like "I like karate and I like winning". Because all of Daniel's "winning the wrong way" stuff to Robby and Sam is stupid. 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So I am not super clear on the rules of the stupid bet. What happens if Myagi-do beats Cobra Kai but CK beats Eagle Fang? Who has to close?

Yeah, that's not clear to me either. Supposedly the dojo that won the AVT would be the one to stay open with the rival dojo closed but then the committee changed the rules.

Spoiler

There was a winner (Eli) and an overall winner (Tory) so technically that would mean that Eagle Fang would have to close. But at the end Daniel tells Chozen that he's being forced to close his dojo so I don't know. 

Edited by DeeDee79
Finale Spoilers
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Seemed to be that if CK wins, the other two close. If MD or EF win, CK closes. They of course don't seem to account for the possibility that any other dojo besides one of the three of them could win. 

Viewed in those terms, it is extra stupid that MD and EF didn't form a super-dojo and have their senseis get the F over themselves, but what can you do?

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Seemed to be that if CK wins, the other two close. If MD or EF win, CK closes. They of course don't seem to account for the possibility that any other dojo besides one of the three of them could win. 

At the time, it was the end of S3 and it seemed to me that they were all talking in terms of Cobra Kai v Miygi-do-Fang. With the split, it doesn't make sense because both separately are just too small and wouldn't really be able to get enough points. 

Also it's a stupid bet that literally no parties have to honor because there's no legally binding contract and if anyone sues, they'll be laughed out of court. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

At the time, it was the end of S3 and it seemed to me that they were all talking in terms of Cobra Kai v Miygi-do-Fang. With the split, it doesn't make sense because both separately are just too small and wouldn't really be able to get enough points. 

Also it's a stupid bet that literally no parties have to honor because there's no legally binding contract and if anyone sues, they'll be laughed out of court. 

The trouble is that we don't fully know how the point system works for the tournament, especially in the original version. If it was overall winner gets 2,000 points, semi-finalist gets 500, quarterfinalists get 200 and others in the top 8 get 100 (say), then size wouldn't matter if you were confident that you could train someone to be the overall winner.

As things stood and whatever the point distribution, it seemed that both EF and MD both got nearly enough points, even in the face of ref cheating. We were left with the impression that somehow EF could win the overall title if Sam had won, which seems ridiculous since we know that CK took the skills competition. 

The complaint you're making about the enforceability of the bet probably is as true about any oral bet. Whether it'd be actually legally enforceable might vary from state to state.   

30 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

It's too bad  the debate girl who explained  math to Johnny didn't join earlier. She could have mentioned that if you have more fighters it stands to reason that you should be able to get more points (Miguel and Hawk's points for being in the semis would have all gone to the same team).

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It's too bad  the debate girl who explained  math to Johnny didn't join earlier. She could have mentioned that if you have more fighters it stands to reason that you should be able to get more points (Miguel and Hawk's points for being in the semis would have all gone to the same team).

All things being equal, sure.

But the problem could (and arguably did) arise that the conflicting styles and egos of the two senseis would result in confusion and poorer performance among the contestants. While top performers like Miguel and Hawk were likely to score high regardless, dealing with mixed messages, tension etc. could drag down a lot of the other contestants' training and ultimately their scores.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That's what I meant. Or recruit more girls. 

On 12/31/2021 at 3:50 PM, Neiman said:

Robbie's scary. Will he ever reunite with his dad?

Hawk vs Miguel was a good match up at this point in the series. Did not expect that outcome. 😮

Yeah but, I didn't mind the "slow down" that much.  Her legs...............my GOODNESS.

• Love 1

I liked how her song made a montage of all the karate scenes, just like the movies used to do. I’m guessing that’s the point of having her sing, so it worked for me.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Sycophant4Lease said:

Her legs...............my GOODNESS.

I didn't really care for her appearance in the episode (not a fan) but probably about 10 years ago I saw her in concert with my wife who is a huge fan and had a friend back out at the last minute. My one big take away was that the tour bus must be powered by her elliptical machine because her legs are in crazy good shape.

• Love 2

Oof. This episode was pretty terrible.

They turned all the tournament sequences into montages except for a couple in order insert a Carrie Underwood music video who is completely out of place for this show.

The actors did a great job with the actual story, the tiny bit we got to see in this episode.

On 1/2/2022 at 10:21 PM, Kate47 said:

Okay tho, Eagle Fang's gi are on point.

The CK Gi's have no sleeves! Sleeves protect your arms! CK are going to have a ton of bruises.

I know I promised not be be That Person, but how did CK and Miyagi-Do go from white belts to black belts? That's not how Karate belts work.

On 1/1/2022 at 10:35 PM, Cthulhudrew said:

I want to know more about those other dojos too. in my head canon they are just practiceing and training and are either unaware or are queitly mocking all thre CK/Miyagi-Do//Eagle Fang silliness.

On 1/2/2022 at 10:21 PM, Kate47 said:

ETA: I really love that they put in the skills divisions of the tournament, because it gives the other students who are less hand to hand flashy a chance to really shine. 

I liked that to. Those scenes were really well done.

Edited by marinw

I don’t mind the introduction of Carrie Underwood. I am not a fan or anything but one of the things streaming shows get away with over networking shows that is there is not such thing as a scene that takes away from some other scene. The show was always going to feature a montage sequence of the kids competing. The intro goes back the boardroom  debate. It’s not like there would have been another scene in that place.

17 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

They turned all the tournament sequences into montages except for a couple in order insert a Carrie Underwood music video who is completely out of place for this show.

It seemed like she was the most famous artist that the show/Netflix could get to appear not the most famous artist the chairperson of the All-Valley organizing committee could get to appear. Which is too bad since the most famous artist that guy could get to appear would probably fit better with the 80's style of the show and probably be more likely to be someone Johnny was a fan of.

• Love 2
On 1/1/2022 at 11:03 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

It didn't look like Eli did any dirty move. 

Didn't Johnny say way back in season 1 that the All Valley Daniel crane kick "logo" was an illegal kick? Sort of like hitting below the belt I would guess. . With all these kids fights ending with a kick to the face I guess the All Valley changed. 

And the tournament board, the ring announcer reminded me of the guy from The Hunger Games as he pushed that lethal kiddie fight to the death tournament. Kenny went from Hawk 2.0 to psychopathic Dutch. If he grows into his big brother's body watch out.

• Love 3

I read somewhere that Carrie Underwood is a big fan of the show and asked if she could be a part of it, I was fine with her being here. It felt pretty random, but having her sing over the montage of competitors felt very 80s. 

A lot of great moments at the tournament, especially the Eli vs Miguel fight (before THAT happened) and the skills part of the tournament, it was a nice showcase for some of the more minor characters and let the characters show off some different skills. It also totally makes sense that Eagle Fang would do poorly in the skills portion while Cobra and Miyagi would do well, Johnny isn't that interested in interested in things that aren't for straight fighting and they just don't have the equipment that the other dojos do for practice. 

I like to imagine all of the other dojos that just do karate for fun and are just having a super normal experience, totally baffled by all the death glares being thrown around. 

Miguel no! I guess it makes sense, not too long ago he wasn't even able to walk, but no! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

With the netflix money this show has, I would have liked to see an episode or partially from the pov of another dojo. Or maybe some local news feature. tbh, Johnny and Daniel seeing themselves on tv made out to be ridiculous could be the impetus of them getting over themselves. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, TigerLily20 said:

It took a while but my husband said the song Carrie was singing was from one of the Karate Kid Movies, couldn't remember which one but it kind of makes sense now

I Googled, it was a Survivor song on the original movie's soundtrack. Man, Survivor was all over those 80s movies soundtracks (Rocky, Karate Kid)

Daniel and Johnny need to get over themselves. 

How is Daniel angry at Sam for barely throwing a little offense in, when CK knows and can anticipate all of their defense? That was ridiculous. It was nice to see Johnny cheering Sam on.

Johnny isn't all wrong with his training (potentially lethal training methods aside) and seems to be setting Eagle Fang as sort of a middle ground between the more passive Miyagi-Do and the uber agressive CK. 

Robby beating down Kenny was a bit much though. He definitely went all CK.

I think it's amusing that Sam's little smile at Tori is considered so awful when they clearly showed Tori giving her a stare down earlier in the tournament. They hate each other, and they're going to show it. Meanwhile all the guys are doing the exact same thing.

It was great to see Demetri do so well, and for Eli to find his inner badass again. The skills competition was a great addition.

Debate girl (and Piper from CK) have been training for mere weeks and they're competing (kind of) on the same level as Sam and Tori who've both been training, presumably for years? Same with Kenny.

Never change, Karate Kid universe.

Carrie Underwood was so bizarrely random.

Half of these kids are over the issues from all their various senseis.

On 1/10/2022 at 11:47 AM, tennisgurl said:

I like to imagine all of the other dojos that just do karate for fun and are just having a super normal experience, totally baffled by all the death glares being thrown around. 

Ha, no kidding. The other dojos have no clue that several businesses, and all future high school dynamics, are at stake from this one tournament.

I enjoyed Daryl the announcer.

Oh, Miguel.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 3
On 1/10/2022 at 3:00 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

With the netflix money this show has, I would have liked to see an episode or partially from the pov of another dojo. Or maybe some local news feature. tbh, Johnny and Daniel seeing themselves on tv made out to be ridiculous could be the impetus of them getting over themselves. 

Season 5 needs to do a recap of the season by starting with a local TV news reporter recapping the results of the tournament, and the local anchors being super confused that this is such a big deal. 

8 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

Debate girl (and Piper from CK) have been training for mere weeks and they're competing (kind of) on the same level as Sam and Tori who've both been training, presumably for years? Same with Kenny.

Other than I think Sam who trained with Mr. Myagi, most of the main characters have been training for less than 2 years. Because the season 1 finale where Robby fought Miguel was the 50th All Valley tournament.

8 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

Johnny isn't all wrong with his training (potentially lethal training methods aside) and seems to be setting Eagle Fang as sort of a middle ground between the more passive Miyagi-Do and the uber agressive CK. 

The weird and kind of funny think about Johnny's (and even Kreese's) fighting/teaching style is that it originally started off as teaching kids a way to win a real fight but then kind of morphed into a way to win a tournament. And I don't think those are really the same thing.  Strike first doesn't necessarily apply when you are waiting for a whistle to start.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Season 5 needs to do a recap of the season by starting with a local TV news reporter recapping the results of the tournament, and the local anchors being super confused that this is such a big deal. 

Other than I think Sam who trained with Mr. Myagi, most of the main characters have been training for less than 2 years. Because the season 1 finale where Robby fought Miguel was the 50th All Valley tournament.

The weird and kind of funny think about Johnny's (and even Kreese's) fighting/teaching style is that it originally started off as teaching kids a way to win a real fight but then kind of morphed into a way to win a tournament. And I don't think those are really the same thing.  Strike first doesn't necessarily apply when you are waiting for a whistle to start.

I go back to Texas High School football big and would go the other way. I like to see a cameo from a sportscaster about the latest All-Valley. In my dreams I can see the late Mean Gene Okerland of the WWE talking about the stipulation match

Spoiler

and Daniel LaRusso having to close Miyagi-Do.

And of course no mention of two time champion Johnny(what's his name) and Eagle Fang

Of course the fight versus sport is true of practically all martial arts sports. A lot depends upon how the judges award points. Cinematically it looks more like professional boxing with harder scoring as opposed to amateur's where the points count. Just as we had the difference between Mr. Miyagi depending upon Ali in the Karate Kid for tournament specifics and this is no tournament death match in the sequel.

Besides a few weeks/months with Miyagi-Do we have Eagle Fang is Cobra Kai we have no evidence of Johnny doing anything since Kreese kicked him out until he saved Miguel from a gang of bullies.

Edited by Raja
episode 9 not 10 sorry
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

True, it's all part of the whole Karate Kid canon. Train for weeks, beat the best! 

Though I thought Tori showed up to CK having had training already too, like Sam. I don't remember if it was mentioned for sure though. 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, CrazyDog said:

True, it's all part of the whole Karate Kid canon. Train for weeks, beat the best! 

Though I thought Tori showed up to CK having had training already too, like Sam. I don't remember if it was mentioned for sure though. 

The main 3 ridiculous rules of karate in the Karate Kid world are: 1) Karate is a huge deal in the Valley that everyone cares about 2) you can become a Karate expert in less than a year and 3) karate tournaments are full contact fight club kind of things that also feature shots to the head. Dentists in the Valley must make a ton of money the week after the tournament. I want there to be a scene at the CK dojo next season where the kids are being trained by being hit with heavy sticks to get tough like in Shang Chi. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That's probably better than a whole episode on it, but my main point is that Johnny and Daniel need to actually watch it and understand that they look like morons who think they're still in high school.

17 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That's probably better than a whole episode on it, but my main point is that Johnny and Daniel need to actually watch it and understand that they look like morons who think they're still in high school.

But that doesn't fit with the Hunger Games ring announcer and the standing room only crowd going wild

Not gonna lie, Robby going terminator on Kenny was enough to make me question my sexuality. He was ridiculously badass, for no reason other than to make a point. I particularly liked Amanda's reaction from the crowd - she seemed to be watching and thinking 'is that really the nice boy we had stay with us?'

The set up for Miguel's injury was a bit awkward, but Xolo sold it fantastically. Without a weekly release, the cliffhanger is kind of pointless.

Daniel is being a prissy, self-righteous tool. First of all he gets bent out of shape about Robby teaching the Cobra Kai students Miyagi-Do karate, while he and Johnny spent the whole season trying to combine Cobra Kai and Miyagi-Do themselves. And then he snits at Sam that she's not winning the right way. He needs to get over himself, and I'm sure Mr. Miyagi would tell him that.

Everyone in this show learns karate way too quickly. That Devon girl said she'd only been training for six weeks, yet was good enough to make the quarter-finals of the tournament? I did karate for a couple of months when I was a kid (off the back of seeing the Karate Kid, naturally) and learned almost nothing. Just repeating the same three or four basic movements again and again, and a lot of warmup exercises.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Everyone in this show learns karate way too quickly. That Devon girl said she'd only been training for six weeks, yet was good enough to make the quarter-finals of the tournament? I did karate for a couple of months when I was a kid (off the back of seeing the Karate Kid, naturally) and learned almost nothing. Just repeating the same three or four basic movements again and again, and a lot of warmup exercises.

😉You obviously need to wax on and wax off first as a base.

Edited by Raja
  • LOL 3

I guess everyone is making a big deal of Robby teaching Miyagi-Do techniques to create some sort of plot point, but it’s VERY hypocritical of Daniel to get upset about that considering he had Johnny bring over his Cobra Kai knowledge and teach it to all the Miyagi-Do students. Plus, he poached half of Cobra Kai’s students in Season 2, and then again at the end of Season 3. The way I see it, all Robby was doing was making things more fair.

Daniel and Johnny’s inability to work together the way that Kreese and Silver were able to (despite their differences as well) is going to be what costs them in this tournament. Kreese and Silver are also better at being able to set their egos aside and put the students’ training first, something Daniel and Johnny were also not able to do this season.

• Love 1
On 1/4/2022 at 1:32 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

On 1/4/2022 at 1:59 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

The complaint you're making about the enforceability of the bet probably is as true about any oral bet. Whether it'd be actually legally enforceable might vary from state to state.   

I believe oral agreements are legally binding, but you'd have to prove it. The problem is, even if it were laughed out of court, both Silver and Kreese are f***ing nuts and would probably burn down Miyago-Do and Eagle Fang. Remember in the first movie, Kreese openly threatened Mr. Miyagi and Danny if they didn't show at the Tournament. "It'll be open season on you--and on him." And whining about a little old man taking on five kids and handing their asses to them but ignoring those same kids nearly killing Danny.

On 1/10/2022 at 2:47 PM, tennisgurl said:

I read somewhere that Carrie Underwood is a big fan of the show and asked if she could be a part of it, I was fine with her being here.

I assumed that was the case, just as that was the reason Kim Fields was on as Aisha's mother.