Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Straight Outta Shape

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Hellga said:

It's probably covered by the disclosure for the show, since everyone here just talks about Jessica and her health.

Although I know they have permission to discuss, I just wish they would have let the audience know.  As it stands, she is just a friend who is supporting her, is at her own appointment and discussing her friend.  It is just not a good look to me.

Just now, CrazyInAlabama said:

Amanda must be tall, to weigh 220, and have Dr. Procter so happy with her.  

Amanda needs to wear tops with more coverage in the boobage area, she looked like she was about to have something blurred out.   

I think he would probably be happy by the feat of losing 500 pounds and keeping it off for two years (not even factoring in BMI).

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Hellga said:

We had cooking, sewing and pattern-making as our home ec.  We had lots of different optional or mandatory non-core courses...  the fun one was emergency preparedness, where we learned bandaging wounds and putting on gas masks, among other things.  Unfortunately, didn't do cool things like taking apart and putting together guns, like my parents' generation got to do. 

PS  I still have the cotton-stuffed kitten I sewed out of orange silk when I was in school. :)  Proudly displayed on one of my bookshelves.

Oh, how I envy you the pattern-making!!

• Love 2
Just now, ams1001 said:

Amanda: Do you mind if I take the mask off?

Jessica: Go ahead; we're both high risk, so...

Me: Um...

It is interesting seeing the various thoughts about covid in the beginning of the pandemic.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Suzywriter said:

Oh, how I envy you the pattern-making!!

It's a skill that did not stick around.  In fact, the only two times I have used the sewing machine after that class were under supervision from my Mom, and it was to mend a seam, not to make an actual garment.  My Mom used to make most of her own clothes when she was in high school, in college and when she first started working...  I think it was actually not uncommon in the 60s and 70s...  

Was Jessica sewing clothes or just putting on decorations on already made shirts? 

• Love 1

Kidney failure is NOT good.  Almost surprised she was able to recover, given her other health issues.  And dialysis would have made her multitude of medications a challenge to keep at the appropriate levels.  Including her antidepressant...

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Hellga said:

It's a skill that did not stick around.  In fact, the only two times I have used the sewing machine after that class were under supervision from my Mom, and it was to mend a seam, not to make an actual garment.  My Mom used to make most of her own clothes when she was in high school, in college and when she first started working...  I think it was actually not uncommon in the 60s and 70s...  

Was Jessica sewing clothes or just putting on decorations on already made shirts? 

She was putting on decorations.

• Love 2

I don't think Jessica is interested in working at exercise, diet, or anything else.    She says she wants the surgery, but she doesn't.   Jessica isn't even trying.

Amanda and Lashondria (?) are so amazing.     That's great that both women lost so much weight, and kept it off.       

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
Just now, umgoblue said:

I don't think she has to worry about that!

I don't think it's even possible for someone who is THAT level of morbidly obese to be skinny.  Their metabolism is probably too messed up, and some fat deposits (i.e. legs) and extra skin aren't going to go away. Though Amanda's current look is probably 'skinny' compared to where she was and where Jessica is.  And looks slimmer than 220 pounds that she is.

She doesn't even want to try... but at least she is honest with herself about not having lost the weight.

• Love 3

So blurring out the Georgia sweatshirt🤷‍♀️

If you are going to do it, put forth the effort make sure we can't read it!  Don't half-ass it.

I don't think it's even possible for someone who is THAT level of morbidly obese to be skinny.  Their metabolism is probably too messed up, and some fat deposits (i.e. legs) and extra skin aren't going to go away. Though Amanda's current look is probably 'skinny' compared to where she was and where Jessica is.  And looks slimmer than 220 pounds that she is.

She doesn't even want to try... but at least she is honest with herself about not having lost the weight.

She would have to get ALL of her skin removed.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I was thinking that too….she also is carrying around 40 pounds or more of loose skin

• Love 1
1 minute ago, CringeWatcher said:

Please believe me when I say the people on these shows are not what most southerners are like. 🙄

But southerners are a different species.  A close college friend of mine lives in Arkansas, and one time I visited her in July (a major event, I wasn't stricken insane)...  It was 105 degrees and 100% humidity and I thought I would die, while locals were wearing JEANS and moving around like it was nothing.  I don't know how people who are obese can survive the climate, given how much easier overheating is for them...

• Love 5

What is with all these companies changing their names? I guess words like lean and weight watchers are no longer marketable due to negative diet culture ?

Just now, Hellga said:

But southerners are a different species.  A close college friend of mine lives in Arkansas, and one time I visited her in July (a major event, I wasn't stricken insane)...  It was 105 degrees and 100% humidity and I thought I would die, while locals were wearing JEANS and moving around like it was nothing.  I don't know how people who are obese can survive the climate, given how much easier overheating is for them...

I live in Canada …I would die…108?!?! I’m hiding inside when it is over 80 ( we get very muggy summers)

• Love 1

Are they sure Jessica is alive and well and just not wanting to respond?  Given she had kidney failure recently, and she has cancer and she is morbidly obese?   I would be freaking out that she is unconscious or dead in there.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

So, another non-episode, basically.  I know we had a few dropouts in Dr. Now's program, but I think this is the first drop-out/no-show for Dr. Procter?   

The perfect example of 'you can take a horse to the water, but you cannot make it drink'.  Jessica is probably not long for this world.  Not that the world would notice or care, for the most part.

PS  I wonder if they had so much Amanda in the episode because they needed something to fill up the air time, given how little Jessica actually did?

Edited by Hellga
4 minutes ago, Hellga said:

So, another non-episode, basically.  I know we had a few dropouts in Dr. Now's program, but I think this is the first drop-out/no-show for Dr. Procter?   

The perfect example of 'you can take a horse to the water, but you cannot make it drink'.  Jessica is probably not long for this world.  Not that the world would notice or care, for the most part.

PS  I wonder if they had so much Amanda in the episode because they needed something to fill up the air time, given how little Jessica actually did?

Amanda seems like a very nice woman. I wish Amanda had accepted her help and coaching.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I’m an Arkie. I do not wear jeans in July, though 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

So she dropped out? What was the point of the episode or are they just that desperate for content since covid effed everything up?

16 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I had an aunt (my mom's brother's wife, who now that I mention her I just realized it'll be ten years in March since she passed away!) who was from Little Rock and moved to NJ when she married my uncle. My dad (affectionately, mostly) called her a "high class hillbilly" (they lived in an expensive town and she sold expensive houses and did very well for herself). Don't think I ever saw her in jeans....

(Now watching the beginning of this Save My Skin show and I love how excited the doctor gets about the weird bumps and lumps she gets to cut open. Not that I will be watching that part; it's past my bedtime. But I do love her accent (google tells me she's originally from Northern Ireland).)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Are they sure Jessica is alive and well and just not wanting to respond?  Given she had kidney failure recently, and she has cancer and she is morbidly obese?   I would be freaking out that she is unconscious or dead in there.

That's what I thought at first, but these shows are so fake-edited, maybe Jessica returned the phone call right away and production thought it made a better story to say Jessica wasn't answering.  I think if Jessica really wasn't answering, there's no way the production crew or Amanda would walk away without someone at least calling a family member or the police for a wellness check.  At least I hope that's what they'd do.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Hasn't peed in a few days?!?!??!

Ikr!  I was thinking, uhh that is life threatening.....like, if you have kidney issues you have 'hours to live' threatening!   She said it so nonchalantly...

Anyways, I thought she'd be ok in the beginning of the episode,  but man,  she really went downhill fast.   Just closed off totally.   But like Dr Hot,  er  Dr Proctor said...you can't make people do what they don't want to. There's plenty of people who do want the help.   I hope she changes her mind before dying.

• Love 6

Um I’m not convinced Jessica eats one meal per day.  Unless it’s a looooong one.

I would think someone that big would opt for a one-story house.  I doubt she can use the second floor much if at all.  She doesn’t seem to have the dough for an elevator.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Hellga said:

I think there were two reasons for filming this episode.   One was showing how well Amanda was doing, and I'm so happy she had her cancer surgery, and is enjoying her life.    Two, to show how many patients don't even try and drop out.   Jessica had no intention of doing the program, and she basically gave up on losing weight, and qualifying for her cancer surgery.   

I bet Dr. Procter's and Dr. Now's rates of patients who claim they want to lose weight, but never even start the program are about the same.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

I’m in Florida. I wear jeans all year round. And I’m not exactly svelte. 😂

I almost always wear long pants when I'm in public.   I don't want to get sunburned, and when I get home, I can throw everything in the washer.   It also keeps the number of mosquito bites down too.  

I think some generously sized, well fitting slacks or jeans would be better than the skin tight shorts, and other outfits that Jessica had.   Also, you have to worry about wearing shorts or shorter skirts, and sticking to the vinyl chairs and car seats.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, DanaMB said:

I’m in Florida. I wear jeans all year round. And I’m not exactly svelte. 😂

Being a teacher, I’m off for part of the summer, so I usually just wear shorts - of an appropriate length! - or lightweight capris. But if I want something a little dressier, and when school starts back mid-August when the temps are hell boiled over, I love the Popyoung casual dresses on Amazon. They come in plus sizes, too. They aren’t made out of the finest five star material, so I don’t like the solids because they show pills, but the prints hold up much better and are super cute. 
And, @CrazyInAlabama, I’m allergic to mosquitoes. God has a strange sense of humor! I could be wearing a bee keeper suit and they’d find me and bite me. I keep a can of Off by the door 🙄

• Love 1
17 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Um I’m not convinced Jessica eats one meal per day.  Unless it’s a looooong one.

Or like Whitney on MBFFL, who says she eats one meal per day, but we see her with a gigantic, Double Chocolaty Cookie Crumble Frappucino with whipped cream and double chocolate drizzle.

16 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

People who want to lose weight but don’t want to diet or exercise are like people who want a college degree but don’t want to attend class, write papers, or take exams.  Guess you don’t really want it.  

That's why it was so refreshing to see the recent guy on M600PL (I think) who said there were times he didn't feel like exercising but knew that he needed to just go do it, or when he didn't want to follow the eating plan but he knew that he needed to.  And he did.  I really get the feeling that a lot of the folks on those shows think that they are somehow different in how they don't want to work out and would rather eat what they want, and just don't realize that plenty of other people feel that same struggle every.single.day but manage to persevere and make the healthy decisions anyway, and repeat that decision struggle day after day after day.

• Love 3

Well, wasn't that depressing? Hard for me  to snark on it, which is unusual. I even kinda liked Jessica. It was so sad that she does not believe in herself or trust the process enough to change her diet. Doncha think it  comes down to being psychological since it is not physical? She seemed cleaner than many of the tv weight-loss participants,lived alone in a NICE house, and had a nephew that loves her to pieces.(or should I say death!). She can't even do it for him. that is gonna mess him up as adult if he doesn't get counseling. I am impressed that the show did her story tho, cuz there are far more sad endings in this area, than good ones.

• Love 2
On 1/5/2022 at 10:41 PM, umgoblue said:

She has several fat-related self-deprecating t-shirts. 

She needs a session with Dr. Paradise so she can unpack that!

I assume when you're stared at constantly in public, there's a strong urge to lash out, and she thinks humor is more socially acceptable than telling people to fuck off.  (I realize being gawked at is something these folks deal with 24/7, and I sympathize, but when they are in a grocery store being followed around by a camera crew, I have to cut passersby a little more slack for double takes.)

• Love 2

Got a few suggestions for Jessica's next T-shirt.

I'd rather eat than get my cancer treated.
I'd rather eat than be a CNA for all those old folks.
I'd rather eat than see my awesome nephew grow up.
I'D RATHER EAT THAN LIVE
Eeew, broccoli!

• Love 2