Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Straight Outta Shape

• Start Topic

At 708 pounds, Jessica is battling a host of life-threatening illnesses. Amanda, a former patient of Dr. Procter, convinces Jessica she must pursue bariatric surgery.  Unfortunately, an emergency hospitalization throws Jessica's weight loss off track.  

Original air date 2022.01.05

Just now, ams1001 said:

"Straight outta shape"? 😆

I don't know if her bun is too tight or what but she has an odd-shaped head.

Her cheeks oozed onto and swallowed up her chin and neck!

• Love 1

She looks like the Michelin Man and the Pillsbury DoughBoy procreated.  It's quite unfortunate, so I really hope that she is able to get surgery and be successful.

ETA:  I fear the fat around her neck may cause difficulty in breathing in the future.

Edited by umgoblue
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

And she is on therapy for endometrial cancer and on steroids.  THose probably don't help her fat distribution either.   They certainly don't make her weight worse, but probably do affect where fat goes on her body.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

She Carrie’s a lot of fat in her fave and neck….still better than forehead fat Tammy

I've heard it called 'moon face'...is that a thyroid symptom? Dottie on My600#L had that symptom as well. 

• Useful 3

I think I remember that lady from the Family by the Ton...  didn't recognize her with the different hair, but when they showed the 'before' picture, I think she was one of the cousins on season 2?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

I grew up in the 80s…..a lot of us were latch key kids who knew how,to make basic meals

Yup.  Also, weren't home ec classes mandatory back then, at least for girls?  They were for us, so by 12 we could all make a couple basic soups, entrees, etc.  We even did jams and cakes...

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Hellga said:

Yup.  Also, weren't home ec classes mandatory back then, at least for girls?  They were for us, so by 12 we could all make a couple basic coups, entrees, etc.  We even did jams and cakes...

Yes, I did both home économie and shop ( as did the  boys). I used shop machines and a stove and didn’t die

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Love 3

It was amazing to see Amanda, compared to what she used to look like.   I wondered her cancer issue came out.       

I don't like Jessica.         I'm not thinking this one will keep weight off after surgery, if she ever gets that far.    It terrifies me that she was driving with all of her physical problems.   

And what the hell tiny bangs were on that other woman's head?

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
Just now, sainte-chapelle said:

Yes, I did both home économie and shop ( as did they boys). I used shop machines and a stove and didn’t die

In seventh grade we had to do all the electives - home ec (sewing), woodworking (I still have the little shelf I made), music, art, and....I forget the other one. In eighth grade we had to pick three; I did home ec again, which was mostly cooking (and some home decorating), and art and I forget what else.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

In seventh grade we had to do all the electives - home ec (sewing), woodworking (I still have the little shelf I made), music, art, and....I forget the other one. In eighth grade we had to pick three; I did home ec again, which was mostly cooking (and some home decorating), and art and I forget what else.

We had cooking, sewing and pattern-making as our home ec.  We had lots of different optional or mandatory non-core courses...  the fun one was emergency preparedness, where we learned bandaging wounds and putting on gas masks, among other things.  Unfortunately, didn't do cool things like taking apart and putting together guns, like my parents' generation got to do. 

PS  I still have the cotton-stuffed kitten I sewed out of orange silk when I was in school. :)  Proudly displayed on one of my bookshelves.

Edited by Hellga
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Hellga said:

We had cooking, sewing and pattern-making as our home ec.  We had lots of different optional or mandatory non-core courses...  the fun one was emergency preparedness, where we learned bandaging wounds and putting on gas masks, among other things.  Unfortunately, didn't do cool things like taking apart and putting together guns, like my parents' generation got to do. 

I just had shop, home ec, music, art and drama. I wsh i had emergency preparedness. 

• Love 1

Hmmmmmmmmm……..I’m just envisioning Dr. Proctor leaning in towards me and saying, Tell me about yourself…..omg.  Of course, not as a weight loss consult. Lol Still……

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4
Just now, sainte-chapelle said:

I just had shop, home ec, music, art and drama. I wsh i had emergency preparedness. 

We had home ec (cooking and sewing-I still have the pillow I made...the surf board) and shop, too.  Our major shop project was a making a pooper scooper (solder, rivets, twisting metal, etc).  WHY, OH WHY, DO I REMEMBER THIS?!?!

• Love 2

Amanda would probably be a good coach and nutritionist, since she knows the other side, not just the professional side.  

715 pounds down to 221 is amazing.  And I hope she sustains it long-term!

2 minutes ago, umgoblue said:

HIPAA?!?!?

ETA:  At least mention/chyron that she signed papers to have her health discussed

It's probably covered by the disclosure for the show, since everyone here just talks about Jessica and her health.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, umgoblue said:

HIPAA?!?!?

ETA:  At least mention/chyron that she signed papers to have her health discussed

I'm just assuming that because they're on TV in the first place they have signed waivers for all that.

I would not have guessed Amanda was 220.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
Just now, ams1001 said:

I'm just assuming that because they're on TV in the first place they have signed waivers for all that.

I would not have guessed Amanda was 220.

She looks much smaller. I wonder what her target weight is? As long as she is healthy now and happy …seems she has changed her entire life. Good for her.

• Love 3