Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Ghosts From The Past

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, FrancescaFiore said:

Again, I swear there was supposed to be a catfish story this season.

Rumor has it the creepy ex-pastor who is planning to meet "Mahogany" will finally be on in Episode 6. 

• Useful 10
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

Alina seemed to disagree. “It’s trash that no one wants.” She must have heard some Americans were taking MacBook Pros and PS5s for their foreign paramours.

She may have been aware of his existence and known a part of him for 13 years. Off and on. Some of the more expensive gifts come with an unwanted price tag. Maybe she hoped for a Gucci bag. She isn’t much better than him, really.

• Useful 6
  • Love 11
17 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

She may have been aware of his existence and known a part of him for 13 years. Off and on. Some of the more expensive gifts come with an unwanted price tag. Maybe she hoped for a Gucci bag. She isn’t much better than him, really.

Caleb seems strange but harmless.  On the other hand, Alina and her "protector" seem somewhat sketchy to me.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 16

I was surprised when Usman insisted on taking Kim to meet Rose and introduced her as his "intended". Can't help but wonder if Rose is interested in him romantically and he is sending her a message. Usman seems determined to come to America by any means necessary.

I thought it disrespectful of Hamza and Memphis to have xes in his mother's home, especially since she made a point of telling them not to. So, Hamza is a two-pump chump and Gino is a “savage”. Did not see that coming. Talk about being surprised.

Edited by Adeejay
  • LOL 8
  • Love 16
6 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Gino is a “savage”

I sincerely doubt that Gino's sexual prowess is "savage," I do think Jasmine is laying it on thick to garner gifts and money, the relationship is as transactional as prostitution, we all know Jasmine would not give Gino the time of day if he was not paying for that time.

I also doubt that anything went on that night, he is fine with her acting like he was Don Juan.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 20
On 1/1/2022 at 11:47 AM, Maximadc said:

From my personal experience, you have to help but not even mention it, like it is a natural thing, so this person doesn’t feel like a burden on you.

thank you for this insight.  

• Love 1
On 1/1/2022 at 10:43 PM, RedDelicious said:

Poor Gino. Sometimes his laugh and speaking voice sound like Leonardo DiCaprio in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape. I don’t mean that to be funny 😔 I agree there is some form of cognitive deficiency there. His uncle getting so emotional at the airport a few episodes back would lead me to believe that as well. I tend to think Gino’s eating habits are what they are because he might not be able to actually shop for and prepare meals on his own.

ETA: I don’t know about this guy. 

every time he laughs or rolls his eyes I say to myself "that boy ain't right."  

22 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I asked my hubs this, as he had what would call an active dating life if a woman ever said that.  Nope.

I woke up at 7 as I was having a dream no make that a nightmare that the Cowboys were playing the Packers on SNF and I had to watch.

Then I discovered this awesome pile of cringe had dropped.

My birthday is Friday but HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!💜🏈💜🏈💜🏈💜

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!

• Love 7
19 hours ago, magemaud said:

Memphis's nasal voice is like nails on the chalkboard to me! 

She looks okay, is skanky by Muslim standards, but I think the deal killer for Hamza could be that VOICE!!!!  Who am I kidding?  there's no deal killer for Hamza.  He needs to come to the USA to support his mom, who actually seems like a lovely hospitable woman as did his sister.  

• Love 22
16 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

Memphis talks to Hamza like she’s Cookie Monster. “Me nervous!”

But some horrible version of Cookie Monster that constantly interjects “sexy time? sexy time?” during conversation and is also too unintelligent to book a hotel room.

I kind of think his problem with booking a hotel room is less due to intelligence and more about being broke

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

Alina seemed to disagree. “It’s trash that no one wants.” She must have heard some Americans were taking MacBook Pros and PS5s for their foreign paramours.

I think she was talking about tumbleweed not the present

Edited by Maximadc
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

I just don’t get some of these people expecting an intimate encounter right after they land. I would have my own hotel room for a couple of days, get some sleep, a hot shower, and some food. Then meet my person the next day. See if the online or FaceTime or whatever translates in to in person interaction. That is a lot of pressure to put on someone. Caleb did the gift thing right. Something small, something personal.  Not showering the person with expensive gifts.

So true about not being ready for intimate encounters after a long flight.  Whenever I do a long international trip, i'm usually a mess for like 2 days

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

I just don’t get some of these people expecting an intimate encounter right after they land. I would have my own hotel room for a couple of days, get some sleep, a hot shower, and some food. Then meet my person the next day. See if the online or FaceTime or whatever translates in to in person interaction. That is a lot of pressure to put on someone. Caleb did the gift thing right. Something small, something personal.  Not showering the person with expensive gifts.

No kidding.  I hiked Glacier at the age of 51 (slept in a tent!) and it was a 22 hour ride home.  I did not sleep the entire time.  Yeah, shower and nap thanks.  

1 hour ago, Granny58 said:

there's no deal killer for Hamza.  He needs to come to the USA to support his mom, who actually seems like a lovely hospitable woman as did his sister.  

Yep, and Johnny is on the same agenda.  Problem is, neither lady seems aware at this point.  Hamza's poor mom.  If I were Memphis I would high tail it out of there and not just to a hotel, but to Michigan.  Then again, I will never utter the words:  "I just landed in (pick a foreign land) to meet my fiance for the first time and get married in two weeks."

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

If the beautiful, radiant Rosa Ree has any romantic interest in sweaty, brokedown, talentless Usman I'll eat my hat. Her agent suggested the meetup so she could get on American television is my guess. 

Exactly. She was absolutely gorgeous. Usman looked like a putz.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Granny58 said:

exactly.  Whenever I fly from east coast to UK, which is a 6 1/2 hour flight but overnight so we land in morning, I am pretty tired.  have missed a night's sleep.  I sure wouldn't want any sexy time with anybody!

Try it from the west coast, 11 hours if direct from LA/SF to London, I used to have to do it every  months and then drive for 3to4 hours to get back to Wales, no sleep as I can't sleep sitting up. Last time I flew back with my current wife we went business class due to my back issues & what a difference it makes, wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be either and well worth the $$$.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Granny58 said:

Also, I thought she was rather rude with her "I wanted American coffee" remark.  He brought you coffee, end of.  Drink it.  Get it yourself next time.  

Later he took the cup from her, took a sip, and said something like, "I'm going to have some of this, too" and she pointedly told him he could have it all. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

IIRC, both Nicole and Azan in Morocco and Laura and Aladin in Tunisia had said something about a law prohibiting unmarried couples to share a hotel room in their countries. Nicole got around it by getting a separate room from Azan and Laura actually married Aladin on paper so they could be intimate. I'm sure Hamza doesn't have the money to book a hotel room or two, but Memphis does. The problem is, she doesn't want to marry him THIS week until she's sure he's good in the sack. She's the one who has been pushing the "sexy time test drive" idea on him. So much for "getting to know" each other in other ways before intimacy. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 10

Yara made a comment on Pillow Talk that Alina probably had a 2 hour flight to Turkey. Not Caleb’s 20 plus hours.

After being tired and smelly and hungry, the most I would expect is a hug or kiss and I would happily wait a day. And that is for someone I have met and spent time with. Not a stranger I am physically meeting for the first time. I would land separately and be on my own for a day before meeting my ‘soulmate’.

Memphis, you are engaged to a man from a very different culture who may not have as much sexual experience as you. Give him a break. Let him get to know you and who knows, in a few weeks, things may improve greatly.

Edited by Frozendiva
Yara, not Yardage
  • Love 15
27 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

I don't get the hatred of Caleb either.  I don't think Alina is the sweet, shrinking violet some are making her out to be. I am going to need her to stop with the "Americans are this and American do that".  Some of the things she is accusing Americans of saying and doing could be applied to other nationalities. 

I have to say this episode showed her in a much different light.  Starting with the comment about wanting American coffee.  Then to explain that Americans are rude when Caleb did not pour her water first.  What?  Sheesh cut the guy some slack about what she needs help with.  I am assuming women with normal sized hands in her country pour their own water?  Her side kick whatever his name is was a total douche from Hello.  And she seemed to enjoy her side kick giving Caleb grief whenever he could.  She did that batting of her eyes with a side eye to Caleb that was saying "yeah what about that Caleb?".  I don't like her as much as I did in the beginning.  I still don't care him much either but thought the backpack for her was meant with best intentions on his part.  It is actually kind of sweet he thought about how to include her in something he likes to do.

I am surprised no one mentioned him picking her up and putting her on the bed and then started slinging her all over the place to so he could place here on top of him.  It looked a little rough to me.

• Love 17
26 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but does any see a resemblance between Hazma and Nandor (or the actor that plays him) from What We Do in the Shadows. They could be brothers. 

You mean that fucking Persian Frank Zappa?

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

Later he took the cup from her, took a sip, and said something like, "I'm going to have some of this, too" and she pointedly told him he could have it all. 

I think she said that in a sexual way, like ‘I was hoping for some American coffee this morning’

and let’s accept the fact that all these people who participate in that kind of shows are seeking fame and TV exposure.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Joan van Snark said:

Elijah was a total asshole.  Where does he get off questioning why Caleb didnt kiss her?  What a weird question--how is that any of his business!  It's almost like by him not immediately being all over her he's rejecting her because of her size.  If he had acted like that, everyone would probably be saying he had a fetish and was taking advantage of her.

This! I agree. Elijah was totally out of line. I liked him before last night, but now not so much. I'm pretty sure, though, that the TLC crew prompts friends of the main characters to ask such intrusive questions; in real life, who does that? but on this show, everyone does it.

No matter how much time you've spent online with someone (or in the old days on the phone), it's very different when you're actually in each other's presence. You're new to each other physically and it's like starting from square one. 

I think Caleb's first night is one of those instances where people would have felt differently if the sexes were reversed and it was a guy expecting a woman to jump immediately into sex the first hour they meet -- and if she had had a very long flight and was exhausted.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 1
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

I don't think Alina is the sweet, shrinking violet some are making her out to be. I am going to need her to stop with the "Americans are this and Americans do that". 

I thought this was a little rich coming from someone who clearly wants to dispel the stereotype that a disability makes you asexual.

Speaking of stereotypes, Ella! Ella needs to do something about those leaky eyes. She’s averaging two cries per episode and we already have a Darcey. Johnny should have asked his traditional doctor if there were any herbs to fix that.

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

Speaking of stereotypes, Ella! Ella needs to do something about those leaky eyes. She’s averaging two cries per episode and we already have a Darcey. Johnny should have asked his traditional doctor if there were any herbs to fix that.

Too bad she does not get he wants to come to America to fix her!  Someone should introduce him to Tammy Slaton!!  That girl needs some fixin’.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but does any see a resemblance between Hazma and Nandor (or the actor that plays him) from What We Do in the Shadows. They could be brothers. 

I hadn't noticed, but I did see that Guillermo is in a GEICO commercial. 

22 minutes ago, Maximadc said:

I think she said that in a sexual way, like ‘I was hoping for some American coffee this morning’

ohhhh, I get it. She really didn't mean "coffee" 

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

I thought this was a little rich coming from someone who clearly wants to dispel the stereotype that a disability makes you asexual.

I just want to say that I love your name. So many protagonist possibilities. Like for Agatha Christi...

• Love 5

I kind of get Caleb wanting to defend Alina. He seems to view Elijah's chivalry with her as treating her like an invalid. I didn't. Pouring her a glass of water before pouring one for himself would've been the gentlemanly thing to do, American or not. Elijah calling it out wasn't particularly cool, but I suspect that after a day with Caleb, he'd seen enough and was already convinced this guy was a clown. Nevertheless, Alina was still into him and being overtly rude just spoiled & made HER experience more difficult. 

I'm surprised she wasn't horrified by the backpack, TBH. You'd think he would of at least have asked her before investing in a Baby Bjorn backpack for her to sit in on his back. I wonder how she'll feel about it in retrospect. Say, at the Tell-All.

Edited by FrancescaFiore
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
13 hours ago, Fable said:

Caleb seems strange but harmless.  On the other hand, Alina and her "protector" seem somewhat sketchy to me.  

Caleb seems to be taking it slow and not jumping into anything from the get-go. So I forgive his behavior from the prior show. I'm beginning to see him differently now. The necklace was a nice gesture. I like to give meaningful gifts to people i know from different countries when I visit; something that signifies the area in which I live. Alina should have graciously accepted the necklace, as it was given from a kind and thoughtful place.

Elijah is getting on my nerves. It is not his place to grill Caleb and I'm glad that Caleb is resisting (and from the preview for next week, continues to do so). In prior seasons, the person that was being grilled always felt they had to respond. (They could have politely declined to answer and moved on).  Elijah, stop with your possessiveness and go away and let these two spend some time alone together to see if they connect in person. You are become a pest, pal.

Gino and Jasmin: Go ahead and argue all you want. The more arguing the less chance I'll have to hear Gino's aggravating laugh.

So far this season I'm not interested in Memphis or Ella and Johnny. Oh, Ella's blond wig - is there something I'm not getting? Why is she wearing a dollar-store mop on her head? Hopefully as the season progresses they stories will get more interesting.

• Love 17
14 minutes ago, Breedom said:

So far this season I'm not interested in Memphis or Ella and Johnny. Oh, Ella's blond wig - is there something I'm not getting? Why is she wearing a dollar-store mop on her head? Hopefully as the season progresses they stories will get more interesting.

I don't mind Memphis only because of Hamza and his resemblance to my favorite vampire. I could care less about Ella and Johnny. She creeps me out. 

• Love 3

I am beginning to cringe and fast forward so much there won’t be any of the episode left to view. It might be different if there wasn’t so much scripting but right now these people look pretty much desperate.ok

Edited by ethalfrida
clarity
  • Love 8
15 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

. It was a bit inappropriate for Ximena to bring Mike over to meet the family that he has been supporting all this time. Wait a little.

I believe she said they're all staying with her "temporarily." She just brought Mike to her place, the place he's been funding. The place her whole family has been suckling off of.

• Love 7

Ella's mom:  Remember, you've been a failure all your life... no one has ever wanted you...  

Ella:  I'm so sorry I disappointed you, mom...

I actually feel bad for Ella because she is being exploited very badly.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Frozendiva said:

Mike and Ximena: Get out while you can, Mike. It was a bit inappropriate for Ximena to bring Mike over to meet the family that he has been supporting all this time. Wait a little. I do get the kid thinking he's the best prospect so far. He seems kind, he seems emotionally stable. A bit boring but he probably would step up at being a stepdad. Surprised his vibes don't pick up the real Ximena. Unless he is blinded by his 'love' and fairytale of her.

I'm still on the fence about these 2.  I found it unsettling that her young son would judge Mike as better than all her other boyfriends!  The kid is not even 10 yet!  Anyway, Mike seems okay and I hope he is not hurt by all this.  As for Ximena "loving" him, it could be a different kind of love than passion and hotness.  She may "love" him for all his support and hopefully she's legit trying to build a life with a better man.  But hey, I've been let down by TLC before....making me think one way about somebody and eventually completely different.  I wouldn't be surprised if I end up disgusted by Mike and rooting for Ximena.  

I find Gino strangely compelling to watch.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

If Jasmine could put her bat shit crazy self away for a while, I really think she and Gino are a good couple.  They've both got a bit of a goofy personality and probably would be pretty compatible.  Just that damn off the charts jealousy gets in the way... 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

How absolute DARE! 🤣  That's Nandor you're talking about!

And judging by Memphis' comments about how fast Hamza came, he could hardly be mistaken for Relentless!

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, FrancescaFiore said:

How absolute DARE! 🤣  That's Nandor you're talking about!

And judging by Memphis' comments about how fast Hamza came, he could hardly be mistaken for Relentless!

Yea, Nandor really has it over him. Maybe he is the younger more inexperienced brother. 

• Love 2