Type keyword(s) to search

I Am Shauna Rae - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(BTW I was carded at 22 and I'm 5'4 bc I looked young).

I got carded into my early 30s and I am 5' 5 1/2. The worst was the time I was 25 and went to the movie with my mom. I was buying the tickets and it was an R rated movie. The kid carded me and I had no idea why and asked. He said it was an r rated movie. I couldn't bare to tell him I was 25 so I said I was 20 and then pointed to my mom and said I was with my mommy. Lawd.

Anyway, I tried an episode and I don't think I care to go on. It all feels creepy to me - esp the dating aspect. Not that I think she should be locked away from men but I don't know the situation seems ripe for finding a pedophile rather than a nice guy.

if she wants "independence" she can go out there and get it herself, starting by getting her license. Nothing's keeping her from finding work and moving out at 22 years old. This is just another ultra stagey TLC show. 

Agreed. I was confused by her not having a license. Why?

• Love 4
On 1/20/2022 at 2:55 PM, readheaded said:

Her mother is more crippling than her stature. It's disturbing.

Isn't it always the case with these TLC shows? It's always the mother.  Look at Jazz's mom and Twitney's mom.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/18/2022 at 5:09 PM, all4mom2 said:

I still say she's either an actual child actress or has some variation of primordial dwarfism (where you're proportionally small and have that high-pitched voice).

She can't be the ONLY kid who's had this reaction to cancer treatment, if true.

“Growth hormone deficiency (GHD), also known as dwarfism or pituitary dwarfism, is a condition caused by insufficient amounts of growth hormone in the body. Children with GHD have abnormally short stature with normal body proportions.”

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

“Growth hormone deficiency (GHD), also known as dwarfism or pituitary dwarfism, is a condition caused by insufficient amounts of growth hormone in the body. Children with GHD have abnormally short stature with normal body proportions.”

Here's more info about brain cancer and radiation being potential causes of pituitary dwarfism, which isn't exceedingly rare.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Did I miss something? Are their dogs not neutered or spayed? I'm pretty sure I heard Shauna talking about how they ended up with more dogs because the dogs mated?  I hope I misunderstood.

I'm getting the impression Shauna thinks she's "all that". She doesn't like hugs. She doesn't like that her date is tall. She doesn't care that he played football. She seems like a real pain in the ass.

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 9

I think what I don't like about this show is that it is showing what she can't do and what she believes that she can't do. The thing I liked about The Little Couple was that they were short people who didn't let their differences keep them down. They both had great jobs, had found their soulmates, and had figured out how to adapt to their differences. While she may look young I wish she had it in her head that she can achieve some of her goals. I liked the message about adaptability not inability! 

• Love 16
4 hours ago, ellenr33 said:

<snip> While she may look young I wish she had it in her head that she can achieve some of her goals. I liked the message about adaptability not inability! 

I'm not convinced she doesn't believe she can achieve her goals.

If her parents prevented her from going to college and/or working, she has no source of income so she's dependent upon her parents.

At 22, she's an adult and doesn't need permission from her parents to get her driver's license, move out, enroll in college, etc. But she does need money of her own to do it.

It's why I support her doing this program. Any money earned from it will be hers, that she can use anyway she likes. 

Without a license and a car, she would need her parents cooperation to seek any other employment, and that's only if she has the skills and experience to do something else, which is doubtful.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

Notice that they put Shauna in the oversized living room chair. They have her looking like Edith Ann! But on the Tallest women show they have the ladies sitting on the tiniest chair or stool possible!

Edited by ethalfrida
To add correct character name...
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

Pedophilia is a literal scourge in this current time (it's usually on the down low, but it IS out there, and I hope they are exposed, especially the so-called famous who are guilty) and if you are unaware of this, you're not paying attention. She needs to be super vigilant. Not her parents. HER. 

Edited by Rebky
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

Notice that they put Shauna in the oversized living room chair. They have her looking like Edith Ann! But on the Tallest women show they have the ladies sitting on the tiniest chair or stool possible!

Plus my 600 pound life. The angle that they film at couldn't make the poundticipant look any bigger. 

• Love 6
On 1/25/2022 at 10:49 PM, chenoa333 said:

Did I miss something? Are their dogs not neutered or spayed? I'm pretty sure I heard Shauna talking about how they ended up with more dogs because the dogs mated?  I hope I misunderstood.

I'm getting the impression Shauna thinks she's "all that". She doesn't like hugs. She doesn't like that her date is tall. She doesn't care that he played football. She seems like a real pain in the ass.

You heard right. That’s what I was thinking! Responsible much?!😡

• Love 3
On 1/11/2022 at 7:16 PM, Straycat80 said:

I can understand her parents being protective, she’s looking for guys online, not a good idea, and also admitted to perverts being attracted to her. She’s also smoking and drinking too. Getting all tatted up isn’t going to make people think she’s older, she should act it. 

I really hope she doesn't decide to pose nude in a misguided "I'm an adult and I can do what I want" statement.

• Love 4
On 1/26/2022 at 6:44 PM, Rebky said:

Pedophilia is a literal scourge in this current time (it's usually on the down low, but it IS out there, and I hope they are exposed, especially the so-called famous who are guilty) and if you are unaware of this, you're not paying attention. She needs to be super vigilant. Not her parents. HER. 

I'm sure she is aware, it's not like she's a literal child ripe for grooming.

TLC in general is insanely exploitative though, so many gross, awful people involved on the network. Regardless of how much money she makes from the show, she'd be far better served developing actual life skills, getting a job, becoming financially independent from mom and dad. Or going to college. She seems to have plenty of friends, you would think they would be encouraging her to do more things for herself.

This "I'm an adult!" shtick is so lame. 

2 hours ago, chediavolo said:

You heard right. That’s what I was thinking! Responsible much?!😡

I could believe it, the parents really don't seem to be the brightest bulbs in the bunch.

• Love 6
On 1/25/2022 at 10:49 PM, chenoa333 said:

She doesn't like people judging her by her size, but she had no problems judging the guys at the gym by their looks and repeatedly saying she was glad her date wasn't a "juice head" implying he looked like he did steroids. So... it's okay to judge others, but they can't judge her. Got it. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

She doesn't like people judging her by her size, but she had no problems judging the guys at the gym by their looks and repeatedly saying she was glad her date wasn't a "juice head" implying he looked like he did steroids. So... it's okay to judge others, but they can't judge her. Got it. 

You nailed it. There is just something about this entire family that smells like "fame whore notoriety."

I have zero interest in Shauna Rae and we're only 3? episodes in. Unless she gets a job or goes to college or learns to drive, I'll just be "hate watching" (already)

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 1/25/2022 at 7:49 PM, chenoa333 said:

Agree, I didn’t like her attitude with her date. Telling him he didn’t look like an “Abraham,” having a fit about a friendly hug, not appreciating that he had all those pizzas AND salad that she could have politely eaten, rolling her eyes at his football interest, etc, etc.

That guy was good looking, nice, and showed interest in her; but her attitude was that she was above him. “He better like X, because I’m not going to ever change,” paraphrased - that is not a way to make friends or find a boyfriend. 

• Love 12
12 hours ago, SDVegas said:

Agree, I didn’t like her attitude with her date. Telling him he didn’t look like an “Abraham,” having a fit about a friendly hug, not appreciating that he had all those pizzas AND salad that she could have politely eaten, rolling her eyes at his football interest, etc, etc.

That guy was good looking, nice, and showed interest in her; but her attitude was that she was above him. “He better like X, because I’m not going to ever change,” paraphrased - that is not a way to make friends or find a boyfriend. 

Okay, so she definitely wasn't that likeable on that date and I did feel a bit bad for Abraham, but he was a good sport about it and seemed like a nice guy and even expressed interest in getting together again. Not to let her off the hook entirely (and yes, she could've been much friendlier) but to give her some benefit of the doubt, I think it's obvious Shauna has basically no experience dating whatsoever, and is going into any date that's been arranged for her with the assumption that she's going to be harshly judged which makes it easier for her to justify judging the guy. She's been let down a lot of times, clearly has a lot of trust issues, and the show definitely isn't going to make the whole dating scene any easier.

I mean, the majority of the internet that's seen the show itself and are commenting about it seem to imply that she's never going to be able to find a 'normal' guy that isn't a pervert or pedophile because she looks like a child. Basically saying that anyone who is going to be into her is going to be into her solely because she fulfills their little girl fantasies and not because of who she is as a person. That must really do her head in. Perhaps she's even convinced herself of it as well, at least on some level which is why she appears so guarded. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Finally caught the episode.  And I did not find her likeable. Especially on the date. 
I know the show is focused on her problems with looking so young. But the real problem is her acting so young. So doesn’t drive, work, go to college or a trade school. How is she going to support herself? How has she made an adult life for herself? Yes her parents were likely overprotective. Yet the teenage years are when kids start to break away. That is what makes the teen years so trying. Parents torn between hanging on and letting go and teens fighting for independence. She’s 22. Did she just roll along all these years continuing to act like a child? This show might have made sense if had she been 15, not 22. 
These sorts of TLC shows want to pretend to be inspirational but exist because their “stars” are a mess. Jazz is a mess, 1000 pound sisters are a mess. Shauna Rae looks to be another mess.  

• Love 8
On 1/28/2022 at 12:31 PM, SongbirdHollow said:

A large animal vet? Really? 🧐

Where does this family live? Are they in farm animal region? I just don't get Shauna wanting to be a large animal vet. I can see her being a veterinarian for small (dogs/cats/reptiles etc). 

And why is she not already applying to vet schools if that's what she wants to do? Large animal vets have a whole team of people to assist because nobody is strong enough to contain a large animal by themselves. So she could possibly do it.

So much about this show is such BS. And it's only the first season. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

Where does this family live? Are they in farm animal region? I just don't get Shauna wanting to be a large animal vet. I can see her being a veterinarian for small (dogs/cats/reptiles etc). 

And why is she not already applying to vet schools if that's what she wants to do? Large animal vets have a whole team of people to assist because nobody is strong enough to contain a large animal by themselves. So she could possibly do it.

The big vet thing was clearly cooked up by the producers to make her seen even tinier. Oh look, teeny tiny Shauna wants to work with big animals. How cute! 🙄

Edited by overtherainbow
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Have we ever heard that she has a bachelor's degree? 

I think her stature is exacerbated by not having anything much else to offer (at least that we've seen on the show). Dr. Jen Arnold is absolutely tiny, but she earned credentials and has a purpose that belie her stature so people have something more important to focus on about her besides the fact that she's small. She also deliberately chose to work with NICU babies, and then in simulation, because that was suited to her size. 

In short (no pun intended), it seems like Shauna focuses a whole lot on what she can't or hasn't been allowed to do rather than the millions of things that ARE possible. 

• Love 7

The fact, at least in my opinion, is that she DOES look (and act and speak and live) like a child, and declaring that it's politically incorrect to say so doesn't change the fact.  It's obvious that Jen Arnold is an adult with a skeletal dysplasia; it's not obvious - again, in my opinion - with Shauna.  The stripper pole next week...  Well...

I think she's very comfortable in the much-spoiled, cherished, and protected "baby of the family" role (despite not being the youngest), and that's probably hard to give up unless made to.

Does no one dare suggest a career as a SMALL animal veterinarian to her, or will Shauna's Rae's old anger management problem rear its ugly head again?

Her bursting out laughing at her older sister's helpful and serious college advice was just weird.  She's obviously jealous, resentful, and - yes - angry.  This show might get interesting if we delve into her psychology.

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 8

I still don't really like her but I have to say the family dynamics are interesting - both parents are obviously extremely overprotective and don't seem to mind that neither Shauna or the younger sister can drive despite their ages. I'm guessing there is not much push to get "out of the nest" so to speak. The youngest sister seems to be pretty anxious about pretty much everything. And Shauna and the oldest have a bad relationship because Shauna is jealous that her sister got to have a "normal" life. I expected the bridesmaids dress shopping to go more badly than it did but then they can't even have a conversation about college without it being weirdly aggressive. 

• Love 5

She seems to have a lot of excuses for not doing  things. Does she work? Is she in physical pain?

I agree 1000% with @all4mom2- she seems pretty comfortable being the baby of the family. I hope the sister at home can get help with some of her anxiety too.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 5
On 1/20/2022 at 12:55 PM, readheaded said:

Her mother is more crippling than her stature. It's disturbing.

Her older sister who is 25 and getting married has the same immature and annoying personality as Shauna, and their mother seems to think that their nasty interactions are cute. They're not.  Her younger sister is scared of everything. Puppeteer stepdad apparently hasn't worked in 2 yrs because of Covid restrictions, so her parents probably turned to TLC for income.  This dysfunctional family will become worse, not better off as time goes by.

Shauna does focus a whole lot on what she can't or hasn't been allowed to do rather than the millions of things that ARE possible, especially since people with proportionate dwarfism (HGH deficiency, primordial, or Seckel syndrome dwarfism) do not typically have the painful joint and spinal problems that those with achondroplasia (disproportionate dwarfism) have.

I last got carded at 29 and 5'6" because I looked young, Bars can lose their licenses if they serve minors. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 8

I got carded in my fifties but I think the waiter just wanted a tip. 😀

I agree the mom is the one with some big issues. Too bad they are affecting her daughters. Rylee is a hot mess. 

Also, I was so irritated at the parents letting their kids approach the stage during the puppet show. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, missnoa said:

...they can't even have a conversation about college without it being weirdly aggressive. 

Shauna has a tattoo (among others) of a polar bear because "they're cute and cuddly looking, but are stone cold killers like me."  I paraphrase, but that was the gist of it.  Her mother also commented on her verbal aggression with everyone.

Therapy???

• Love 4
23 hours ago, readheaded said:

I think her stature is exacerbated by not having anything much else to offer (at least that we've seen on the show). Dr. Jen Arnold is absolutely tiny,

I agree, but in fairness to Shauna, she looks and sounds like a child, where Dr. Jen looks and sounds like an adult, and is just small.  I think her voice is a big problem.
I wonder if she could be coached somehow to sound more adult.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, seasons said:

She seems to have a lot of excuses for not doing  things. Does she work? Is she in physical pain?

All I hear from her is “I can’t, I can’t, I can’t.”

No, you sure can’t if that’s your attitude. How about a little can-do attitude? Instead of saying you couldn’t properly groom a horse, how about grabbing a block to stand on and doing the job properly? It can be done. 

And I bet the LPA would be able to offer assistance with pedal extensions so she could drive. It’s quite possible to accomplish. 

• Love 7

Since when are pedal extensions prohibitively expensive and why do they require buying a new car?  Trent and Jonah Johnston apparently bring a pair to work and attach them to various used cars for sale every day...  I also wonder what they've been living on for two years; does the mother work?  Does Shauna get disability payments?  It can't be cheap feeding and paying for vet care for five giant dogs!

• Love 6

I was surprised to see Shauna’s sister freak out about setting up the puppet show stage.  At her age, and with plenty of experience doing it, it seemed rather odd.  She needs to learn some responsibility and and adult skills.  

• Love 4

Just popping in to say that this show intrigued me because my niece is in a very similar position as Shauna. She was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer at 2 and had extensive chemo, radiation and stem cell transplant therapy. She is now 16 and the treatments severely stunted her growth, she also has permanent hair loss from radiation. My niece is a little taller than Shauna, but not much. She's very sweet, but like Shauna she's a bit sheltered and is very, very close to and dependent on her parents. The poor kid battled cancer for three years and went through so much as a young child that she now has lasting psychological damage in addition to being immunosuppressed. It's a miracle she even survived and I think her parents have had a difficult time letting go, mostly because she's so small and prone to illness. The last couple of years with the pandemic have been especially hard on them all. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Gigglepuff said:

Just popping in to say that this show intrigued me because my niece is in a very similar position as Shauna. She was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer at 2 and had extensive chemo, radiation and stem cell transplant therapy. She is now 16 and the treatments severely stunted her growth, she also has permanent hair loss from radiation. My niece is a little taller than Shauna, but not much. She's very sweet, but like Shauna she's a bit sheltered and is very, very close to and dependent on her parents. The poor kid battled cancer for three years and went through so much as a young child that she now has lasting psychological damage in addition to being immunosuppressed. It's a miracle she even survived and I think her parents have had a difficult time letting go, mostly because she's so small and prone to illness. The last couple of years with the pandemic have been especially hard on them all. 

Thank you for sharing that. I hope your niece is doing well. 

• Love 7

Five big dogs? The dad makes  a living with puppets? She wants to be a large animal veteranarian? This nonsense about not driving? Very weird. Something not adding up.

I do feel bad about her migraines.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, seasons said:

Five big dogs? The dad makes  a living with puppets? She wants to be a large animal veteranarian? This nonsense about not driving? Very weird. Something not adding up.

I do feel bad about her migraines.

I'd say a lot of this is producer-inspired, like the large-animal vet ambition and the sister being afraid of her own shadow.  I hope.

• Love 6
On 1/26/2022 at 11:28 AM, readheaded said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that Shauna’s mother is toxic and self-serving. 

Her mother is a bitch (that's the only word i can think of her) CONTROLLING AND WANTS WHAT IS BEST FOR  HER

• Love 3

I also thought it was very Inconsiderate of the parents to let the little brats run up to the stage and slap and try and touch the puppets. They should’ve had the seats starting way further back. & maybe have a little fence up since obviously a lot of parents think their children are just so special and don’t need any sort of guidance and discipline. 
Shawna is extremely immature and so is her sister that lives with her. The sister that’s in Florida seems like a bitch. Did they ever say what the mother does for a living because I always wonder about peoples financial situations. 
Shauna mentioned she would love to either go to a “community college or one of the medical schools they have here” 😳. I think she is living thru daydreams. And then again on the other hand there aren’t many of us who can imagine what her life was,  is, and will be like forever. 
While the tattooist seems like a cool guy, that tattoo was Awful! 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Love 4

None of her tattoos are particularly attractive to me. 

I still find it ironic Shauna is so eager to do adult things because she doesn’t want to have to act like a child (and understandably so) just because other people assume she is one, like drinking, getting tattoos etc but has no responsibilities like an adult. No college, no job, no license. Although I'm sure later episodes will focus on driving and other things but not holding my breath that she'll get more independent. 

The worst part about this show is all the things she’s been convinced her whole life that she can't do. Her parents have mollycoddled her.

I haven't bothered to watch a full episode but catch bits here and there. How old is Rylee? She looks about 17-19 but definitely acts younger. She'll likely be living at home for a long time too if she has bad anxiety. 

• Love 4

After watching an episode I went and googled people who have dwarfism, some famous, others not. They go to college, graduate school, own businesses, have careers, own their own homes and raise families. What has this young woman done since graduating from high school? Apparently nothing. No job, no college, doesn’t drive. I don’t think there is anything here worth watching. The show is playing up “trapped in an 8 year old’s body” but really her problem is she hasn’t bothered to take control of her life and act like an adult and just makes excuses. 

• Love 9