Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: No Such Thing as Fair

Pallas
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, madmax said:

I can't agree with the Jimmy casting.  Calamity Jane was one of my favorite characters and Jimmy is the guy I fast-forward through.  Jimmy is Wu's pigs...

Calamity Jane annoyed me because she was her own worst enemy, and I feel the same way about Jimmy.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

So I just read a rumor on another site that 

Reveal spoiler

Kelsey Asbile 

is leaving. That's going to make a lot of people happy on Sunday night.

I like that rumor 😊

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 12/27/2021 at 3:33 PM, The Pretender said:

Bingham has such a good voice 

Ryan Bingham is an accomplished country singer with some music out there.  He also had a part in Jeff Bridges' "Bad", as the lead singer of the backup band.

On 12/28/2021 at 12:47 PM, TVbitch said:

Is the new house THAT far away? 

In real life geography, yes.  Monica mentioned that the house was an hour east of Pryor, which is out by Billings on the east side of Montana.  The ranch is supposedly somewhere around Bozeman or Missoula, about 3 hours west of Billings. 

What I wonder about is that Kayce can just up and say something like "I saw a wolf outside my new house so I'm going to take four days off my state job to figure it out."

Random observations: 

Glen's Cafe is located in Florence, just a few mile south of Missoula.  I hope John's waitress bills him for the food he ordered but left.

Who does the housekeeping in that giant ranchhouse?  Not John.  Beth?  Oh, hell no.  Gator, maybe.

I guess it's a good thing that 6666 doesn't brand their cowboys.  That's gonna need lot of chest area.

I wonder if Jaime's girlfriend is right about Montana elections.  A quick search gives the population totals of Bozeman, Helena, and Missoula as roughly 275,000, but Billings alone has 184,000 and a trading area of 500,000.  Anybody have an idea?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

What I wonder about is that Kayce can just up and say something like "I saw a wolf outside my new house so I'm going to take four days off my state job to figure it out."

and Monica seems to not work at all.  They've put Kayce in his own world and they made it seem like in season 2 when he moved back how he John said he needs to learn to run the ranch and he was all the next John. Kayce runs and leaves when ever he can. He doesn't deserve anything.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Who does the housekeeping in that giant ranchhouse?  Not John.  Beth?  Oh, hell no.  Gator, maybe.

Well, they have a cook so I'm sure they have a housekeeper or two. 

What's the big deal about crying Beth moving out of John's house? Can't she and Rip go back to his cute little place? Or is she just butthurt because daddy is upset with her?  

15 minutes ago, Artsda said:

They've put Kayce in his own world

Have there been any scenes this season where he has interacted with John or Beth at all? Weird. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

If they do have a housekeeper it's strange that they've never shown him/her.

Why would they pay another actor, just to show her dusting or whatever?  Unless they were going to give her a plot, it would be a waste. But I can imagine someone mentioning a housekeeper, probably in the context that Beth hates her, or that they are hiring their fifth housekeeper since Beth moved back😊

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, MBayGal said:

Why would they pay another actor, just to show her dusting or whatever?  Unless they were going to give her a plot, it would be a waste. But I can imagine someone mentioning a housekeeper, probably in the context that Beth hates her, or that they are hiring their fifth housekeeper since Beth moved back😊

Well, Gator doesn't have much of a plot either.  Other than that scene where he's eating the biscuit, they basically just show him serving food, so the housekeeper(s) doesn't have to be in that many scenes. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Well, Gator doesn't have much of a plot either.  Other than that scene where he's eating the biscuit, they basically just show him serving food, so the housekeeper(s) doesn't have to be in that many scenes. 

Gator has a few good lines!  I just thought adding another peripheral person/actor to the show wouldn't add anything.  Although if she replaced jimmy.......!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, MBayGal said:

Gator has a few good lines!  I just thought adding another peripheral person/actor to the show wouldn't add anything.  Although if she replaced jimmy.......!

I'd love to see him and a housekeeper blowing off steam together, especially about Beth.

• Love 5

Why can’t Beth just say I’m sorry?

and is the thing with Summer truly malicious because it seemed as though she really does want to screw ME. Summer is a fringe benefit. 

and hasn’t John had the “who cares about everyone else” philosophy?

• Love 3
On 12/28/2021 at 7:46 PM, Artsda said:

I don't see Rip leaving that ranch, so if Beth did leave I bet she would be going alone.

Where else could he go? I seem to recall him saying once that he didn't even have a driver's license because he didn't officially "exist" - John had taken him in as a child. I don't remember exactly how that came about, but for some reason he didn't have any official documentation. If he left the ranch, he'd have to "get on the grid" so to speak.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

John had taken him in as a child. I don't remember exactly how that came about

I think his father attacked/killed his mother, and Rip killed his father attempting to defend her. He then ran off fearing he would be charged for his father's death.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

This show added a daughter and granddaughter for a character that was established in show to have neither. (Literally, Malcolm Beck says "You wanna know what I wish for, Donnie? I wish to God that you had children.")

I absolutely would not put it past the show to change Rip's "off the grid" issue.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 12/28/2021 at 5:47 PM, JenMcSnark said:

Not only that but they are bred to be smaller than normal Quarter Horses so that they are more agile.  I abhor breeding any animal to meet human objectives.  It rarely works out well for the animal/breed.  :(  Between the smaller stature, unnatural movements, and repetitiveness it has to really be terrible for these horses in the long run.

A normal quarter horse is 14 -16 hands that is the breed standard. Metallic Cat is 14 hands, on the small side of the breed but not smaller than normal. He is worth 50 million and his stud fee is 10000 grand. they compete for a couple of years than they are done. They have every incentive to keep them healthy. Metallic Cat's sire High Brow Cat died at 31. 

I do not believe Beth intended to hurt Summer. She was a tool to cause chaos for ME and she was successful. Summer is a grown up and can make her own decisions. John can miss me with his BS line. He has caused a lot of collateral damage. As if!

Jimmy is in a love triangle. I can hardly wait to see how it works out. NOT! In what world would Jimmy have two women fighting over him? oh right ? Jimmy is Sheridan's alter ego.  Large Tool and all.

The Randall/ John scene was less than I hoped. Next week better bring it.

I still think I'm right about Kasey and the wolf. Omen/ warning.

• Love 3

Now Dutton has a problem with somebody cussing. Yeah, no. Or is it just because Carter's still a kid and maybe shouldn't be talking like that until he's older?

Does Dutton still not know Jamie's bio-dad actually put the hit on him and his family or was he just trying to shut Beth up from blaming it on Jamie?

Jamie is such a weasel to me. If it's not Bio-Dad working him like a puppet, it's his baby mama, who I'm thisclose to calling Evita.

The new acting sheriff is straight-laced guy. Wonder how the Duttons will corrupt him? Or try to?

That moment between Dutton and Garrett Randall came out of nowhere. Huh? Did Dutton go to that diner specifically because he knew Randall would be there? Not sure why they wouldn't have saved that scene for the season finale.

And then a rodeo music video shows up to kill time and give Sheridan an additional ego boost.

Metallic Cat. Oy, that was not an attractive horse IMO. Guess it doesn't matter if he's worth $34M in stud fees.

Carter the card shark. Of course. Bet he learned some new cuss words hanging out with the bunk house crew too.

And then Walker gets a heavy-handed reason to sing again and kill even more time while Beth sobs. Is Sheridan even trying anymore? 🤨

Heh, Dances with Wolf, starring Kayce! Seriously, what's he gonna do if it snows or rains while he's out there? Be funny if Rainwater and Mo were hazing him and Monica's in on the joke.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 12/31/2021 at 2:03 PM, Crashcourse said:

If they do have a housekeeper it's strange that they've never shown him/her.

It's not likely that rich people with 10,000 sq ft homes mop their own floors and clean their own toilets. 

• Love 5

I guess I'm part of the unpopular opinion that like's the Jimmy story line haha. I would have been pissed if they just dropped him completely and wondered what came of him. I like the new girl in his life and he better make good on his word and come running back to her. Knowing Jimmy, he'll mess that up haha.

So we know that Jamie's Dad set up the hit on the family (right?). Does John know? That's the only thing I'm not sure on. The conversation in the diner kinda confused me on what was going on there.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Be funny if Rainwater and Mo were hazing him and Monica's in on the joke.

The two of them are sitting in Rainwater's living room, drinking good whiskey and watching Kayce on a trail cam.  "What a maroon.  Wait till he finds out that was my pet wolf."

• LOL 10
  • Love 3

It's a tough contest, but I think for me, the bat guano cray cray award goes to Kayce for believing for even a nano-second that Monica is more than he deserves. 

My favorite aspect of the show is the story of the Confederation and the mysticism which surrounds it.  I have a difficult time believing that Rainwater and Mo would be teaching Kayce as they are at this point.  In any event, it's good exercise to consider their words.

Beth most definitely did not seek to screw Summer.  She needs all the allies she can muster.  Summer rotting in prison does not help.  

The biggest laugh I've enjoyed in this series was how Jamie revealed what his "real" daddy did.  "Your mother?!"   Gold.

John is simply a monster.  He's got some good in him, but he is, at heart, a monster.  

Has he so much as lifted a pinky to garner votes since his announcement?  Oh, I forgot.  Montana votes grow on trees.  

I really liked the new sheriff.  He gave John every possible courtesy and respect and he let him know the days of looking the other way when it comes to the Y are ovah.  Well, at least until Sheridan realizes that would be impossible for a future arc he wants to foist on us - just like when he wrote that Jimmy would have to pay massive dues and that he, Jimmy, would know when he was ready. 

Same thing Rainwater was telling Kayce.  Hmmmm.  Is that Roseanne Roseannadanna I see?

• Love 1

I don't have a son. But Monica's attention to Tate during bathtime seems extremely creepy to me. He's old enough to get his own towel! He's even old enough to close the door when he's in the tub. 

• Love 7

So, I am dragging through the last episodes of this season and I don't think I will be coming back for another one. The only reason I even watched that was first, to appease a nagging friend who insisted it was the greatest show ever, then gave me his bought seasons. Two, I thought it was interesting enough in the first season, part of the second, because I have westerns but thought this one would be a little different. And Kevin Costner is good as John Dutton. But there is too much (almost only) testosterone in the show. Some of the women are loaded with testosterone, the other one is a brooding whiner, the main female character is a psychopath. There is no accountability for the worst people in the world (although this is what happens in real life too), there is no entertainment value (to me). After an episode ends, I am angry at all characters, frustrated that they didn't die a painful death, wondering why the fuck I am still doing watching it. But I dragged along, watching episodes in three parts, taking a break after each one.

There is no real message to the show - not that it is a requirement, it is just something I like to see. The irony is lost in the white supremacists  that watch it (and in the general white people who watch it because history is something that is not taught in schools anymore): white descendant of colonizers who invaded indigenous land and claimed it as their own are now mad about capitalists trying to take their stolen land away. Big fail, showrunner. Big fail.

• Love 1
On 1/21/2022 at 7:34 AM, circumvent said:

So, I am dragging through the last episodes of this season .......................................... Big fail, showrunner. Big fail.

It's too bad you feel that way.  You're missing out on a good show. 

I love Yellowstone and will continue to watch as long as it's on TV.

Needless to say, I disagree with your post on so many levels.

Edited by AnnA
10 hours ago, AnnA said:

You're missing out on a good show. 

I am not missing because I did watch, painfully, the last episode of the last season.

I will not be missing (I guess that what you mean) because it was "painful" to watch, and I don't will not miss "pain". Better things to do with my time

On 1/21/2022 at 7:34 AM, circumvent said:

But there is too much (almost only) testosterone in the show. Some of the women are loaded with testosterone, the other one is a brooding whiner, the main female character is a psychopath. There is no accountability for the worst people in the world (although this is what happens in real life too), there is no entertainment value (to me). After an episode ends, I am angry at all characters, frustrated that they didn't die a painful death, wondering why the fuck I am still doing watching it. But I dragged along, watching episodes in three parts, taking a break after each one.

There is no real message to the show - not that it is a requirement, it is just something I like to see. The irony is lost in the white supremacists  that watch it (and in the general white people who watch it because history is something that is not taught in schools anymore): white descendant of colonizers who invaded indigenous land and claimed it as their own are now mad about capitalists trying to take their stolen land away. Big fail, showrunner. Big fail.

Hard yes to the bolded sections. Sheridan gets credit for writing women and I find his women characters to be pretty one-dimensional. This show is also written for a white (male) demographic, and while clearly there are non-white supremacists that watch it, it's uncomfortable to see the vocal fans on social media who are. I'd like to think Sheridan realises the dangerous line he's walking but I'm not so sure. Casting Indigenous actors for Indigenous roles (aside from Monica -yikes), including a MMIWG plot in an earlier season, keeping Monica, Tate, and Kayce connected to the Reserve - these are all storylines that would seemingly be respective of the local Indigenous culture. But the overarching theme of the show is absolutely a white family who settled on Indigenous land and are now trying to keep it from the next group of poachers, while expecting sympathy from the audience.

Costner and Hauser are why I watch but I ffwd through more and more each season. Many people obviously enjoy Yellowstone, but it's not for everyone. What a boring world this would be if we all liked the same things.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mledawn said:

Costner and Hauser are why I watch but I ffwd through more and more each season.

I don't know any of those actors aside from Costner and Dillon (I also know the actor who played the older son but he dies pretty early in the show). I do think Hugh Dillon is a better actor than the characters he has played in the shows/movies I have seen lately. I like him when there is more story to be told, when there is more depth. Lately it is all brawl and little feeling. 

I fast-forwarded a lot too, all the cowboy contest stuff (was it a contest?), and all the Kayce spiritual stuff or whatever that was.

And all the country music, ARGH!

On 1/23/2022 at 8:55 AM, mledawn said:

white family who settled on Indigenous land 

The entire population of the United States (including you and me) fits that description.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, AnnA said:

The entire population of the United States (including you and me) fits that description.

The entire population of the United States consists of white settlers? This is some truly impressive erasure of approximately 40% of the US population, including decidedly non-settler Indigenous people.

Incidentally, that does not describe me, however; I don't think being a white settler would preclude someone from seeing the irony in the Dutton's defense of their land.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 1/24/2022 at 8:38 PM, mledawn said:

The entire population of the United States consists of white settlers? This is some truly impressive erasure of approximately 40% of the US population, including decidedly non-settler Indigenous people.

Incidentally, that does not describe me, however; I don't think being a white settler would preclude someone from seeing the irony in the Dutton's defense of their land.

I apologize.  I didn't intend to include the word "white."  My point was that everyone living in the US is living on indigenous land.

Rip may be hurt that Beth didn’t come to him, but I don’t think he was jealous (unlike that psycho Monica). I think he was giving Beth privacy when he shut the door. Walker is so interesting to me. He never participates in any of the bunkhouse games. I enjoyed Carter and Rip in the bunkhouse enjoying themselves for a change. 

Like many others I’m tired of being force fed 1884 and the Texas spin off.  Like I may take a look but right now I’m watching Yellowstone so just cut it out.  What is 6666 Ranch named for?  I’m guessing it’s meaningful because otherwise it’s a dumb name.  I know it’s all a part of ranch life but I get kind of tired of all the horse shows and moving cows constantly.  I don’t really understand it and the scenes are super long.  Great scenery though.

I’m very interested in all the Native American rituals, unfortunately Kayce is so far removed from the ranch it almost feels like he’s on a different show.  

These people move around constantly!  It’s like musical houses over there. 

Edited by mostlylurking
(edited)
On 12/27/2021 at 12:31 AM, Artsda said:

John knows Jamie's dad is out of prison, wonder if he'll put the pieces together now. 

Rip and Carter running away from dinner and the cards playing was entertaining to watch. Rip was happy and smiling at the kid beating the rest of them. 

The Walker/Beth stuff with Rip watching was odd and seeming the start of episode kind of forrshadow Rip hurt/dead.

Rip was enjoying that card game so much, and even called Carter "son". It was an offhand thing, but sounded a lot better than "boy".

I liked that we're not sure if John was wrong about Riggins and the motive for the attack and truly hadn't (yet) realized that Randall was the top player or if he just was throwing Beth off the scent. I'm sure it will fall into place now. But the scene in the diner was indeed confusing because it's not clear who called who to come to that meeting.

I think he did lie to Beth, and Beth is keeping some of her cards hidden from him, so look what happened. If both laid all their cards on the table they could strategize together.

On 12/28/2021 at 7:19 PM, Lady Jane said:

I don't think Rip was angry at Beth/Walker. I think Rip knew that he couldn't help Beth in that moment. I feel like he was giving her the privacy to work through that intense despair rather than intrude.

Another interesting ambiguity. It was hard to tell if he was annoyed with Beth not sharing her pain with him, or if he understood she needed space. With his intense dislike of Walker in the mix, plus knowledge that Beth screwed Walker (I think Rip knew), I'm leaning toward Rip being none too happy about their little convo.

On 12/29/2021 at 1:36 AM, Sunnykm said:

Jeez John, you put your ho above your daughter??? That is bad stuff regardless if Beth had a suggestion to Summer about the protest--Summer is an adult and know and controls what she is doing.

When John made a remark about his men wearing the brand I wanted Beth to point to her facial scar and then her burned back and say, "I wear your brand, too, daddy!"

Not happy that John saving Summer from 30 years (?!) in prison will likely set them up as a couple. I hoped to see Summer as a smart and intriguing partner to Beth (because they both want to preserve the land), not an annoying, 20-years-too-young sex partner for John. I guess in his case opposites attract. Ugh. 

On 1/1/2022 at 7:40 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Heh, Dances with Wolf, starring Kayce! Seriously, what's he gonna do if it snows or rains while he's out there? Be funny if Rainwater and Mo were hazing him and Monica's in on the joke.

I thought the same thing, what if it storms? But Kayce is a Navy Seal so I guess he'll survive.

Edited by RedHawk
Correction
  • Like 1