Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Talkin' Bout A Revolution

secnarf
  • Start Topic

Max and Sharpe settle happily into their new life in London. Dr. Fuentes takes over as medical director with disastrous effects. Bloom helps a patient who thinks he's cursed. Iggy develops a plan to get his psych patients gainfully employed.

Original air date: Jan 4 2022

Well, it’s better.  I liked it ok.  My only complaint is how those doctors don’t understand why a child has the right to know who their father is. Plus, you need it for medical history reasons. That love triangle is annoying and not very bright.  Poor kid.  

• Love 12

As much as I'm appreciative of the very brief fun & barely intimate Sharpwin moments, it's negated by the Veronica/NAH storyline dilemma, Flyn (I simply don't care & yeah, all 3 are pathetic) and Iggy acting as if he's is junior high, i.e., assistant ingratiating himself to Iggy.  This is just a nonsensical and ridiculous storyline.

While I like, value, respect and recognize Dr. Wilder's defiance of Veronica, she should not be the protagonist to Veronica for NAH--or surrogate "leader" to Reynolds, Frome & Bloom--that should be Max.   Speaking of Max, I did feel he was his typical charming self (as usual)--convincing the cancer patients to at least give him a chance.

These asinine arcs, e.g., London, Veronica & Flyn, are detrimental to the the S4 direction.  I'm uncertain how much longer I may be watching.  This mini-spinoff (Sharpwin in London) was unnecessary, imo, and just isn't working for me.

• Love 3

I am really tired of watching Flyn and Claude having awkward, stilted, emotionless conversations. What was the point of not finding out who the father is? Why do I just laugh whenever Floyd and Claude interact? I guess I’m embarrassed for the both of them.

It’s nice to see Sharpwin having fun and enjoying each other but as long as I write Sharpwin fic, they will never live in London and Veronica doesn’t exist in my headcanon. I did love Max being a bad receptionist, though. 

Can Wilder please be on more? It’s nice to have a character with personality who isn’t a complete trainwreck in their out-of-work life. 

I don’t care about alternative medicine lady either. That seemed like a move that Veronica would never pull. Isn’t she all into cutting pointless programs?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I watched part of it but, as it has been m problem with this show, they have the good ideas but the wrong implementations.

I am all for holistic medicine, if they are coupled with the more western traditional medicine because a lot of of ailments are a result of lifestyle, food, daily demands of life in our culture. It is not possible to just use acupuncture if we don't change habits, and habits are not easy to change in society, unless you have infinite amount of resources.

And Bloom, if your patient cannot wait two days to remove a tumor, I guess I am dead. When my cancer was fund, I had to wait two months for the surgery. Besides, it is a tumor, you don't yet know what kind. surgeries are not performed before a lot of tests, the emergency wasn't the tumor, the hospital would have discharged the guy and told him to go find an oncologist. Speaking of lightening guy, when he was hit, another passerby went straight to him and touched him. NOOOOO. You don't touch people  -  in a wet surface specially - after they have been hit by electricity.

I can see where they are going with Max and Sharp. They will make the NHS too hard to work, Max will be frustrated that he cannot do what he wants, they will be back and fix New Amsterdam. I just hope that they explain that the NHS has slowly being privatizing, and that's why the care has declined so much. 

I also didn't get the patients and their therapy/job. If they are inpatients, they need a coach. If they are not, then that's a job, period, and they should have been paid, even if they had a coach (paid a ridiculous amount of money but that's another story). In either case, Fuentes cannot simply cut approved programs without an input from the board. Iggy cannot simply hire people, and the hospital would not agree to start paying for extra staff. Moreover, if they are on Medicaid, with a paying job, they might lose their benefits, so bye bye therapy. It is a clusterfuck of bad logic coming from  the writers, but what else is new?

• Love 9

Why do I keep watching this? It's the train wreck that I can't turn away from.

So the woman who is sleeping with her husband and her boyfriend is pissed off that they want to know who the father is? What a twat waffle. "You all were worried about whether or not my baby is your responsibility." "No shit, lady. You're passing it out to everybody. Damn right we want to know who the father is, and Maury is too backed up for us to get on there." 

So now we're doing surgeries in the morgue. I find it incredible that they managed to get that surgery approved on the guy's insurance (after labeling it elective) and could go through the logistics of building a makeshift OR in a morgue. 

The entire psych patient thing was a disaster, just like everything else involving Idiot...I mean Iggy. Was that Santa Clause Elvin from "The Cosby Show"? Looked just like him if not.

Max and Helen are now trying to Americanize the British healthcare system. I will give the show credit for not making the European model of healthcare look like some kind of beacon of hope, as it's far from perfect in its own right. 

I'm gonna watch again next week, and wonder why the hell I continue to do it to myself. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

The first thing I said when this Floyd plot started was that I wondered if we’d get Maury on to sink the show even further. 

It’s still a great mystery on why this plot and London are being so pushed as the best things to ever happen to this show. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, circumvent said:

Are you American, or had t navigate our (un)health, wealthy system?

Right.  Here’s an article on it.  But, I know quite a few people who have had surgery for cancer removal since covid.  Perhaps, it wasn’t invasive or was done under sedation anesthesia, not general. My uncle’s hernia surgery was postponed, but that’s understandable.  Lately, I get it though. 

https://www.propublica.org/article/cancer-surgeries-and-open-transplants-are-being-put-off-for-coronavirus-can-they-wait

Edited by SunnyBeBe
16 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Right.  Here’s an article on it.  But, I know quite a few people who have had surgery for cancer removal since covid.  My uncle’s hernia surgery was postponed, but that’s understandable.  

https://www.propublica.org/article/cancer-surgeries-and-open-transplants-are-being-put-off-for-coronavirus-can-they-wait

"Elective" surgery is a cop out. They use a term that suggests "choice" so they can deny service. Not the cases in the article, but that's how America functions (or doesn't). Elective shouldn't be the opposite of emergency. Of course life saving surgeries need to be scheduled. Tests need to be done, ORs "booked", because this is America and health care is a luxury. Even some transplant patients have to be on call, but rarely those surgeries are not scheduled. 

Our system is full of euphemisms and outright lies to make us feel as if we have a good healthcare system but the truth is they play with words and meaning to, in the end, deny care. 

I know some people are having surgeries. At least some places are able to go ahead and try to save some lives during the pandemic. The fact that some are being cancelled is just another huge problem with our lack of preparedness and leadership to end this pandemic, and the problem is not only in the US, but something created by the richest countries. My rant was about the use of the word "elective" as if it is a luxury. If the writers cared about research and good writing they could have found this article and used it to do something that actually informs people, instead of virtue signaling gestures

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Does anyone know where we are in the timeline on this show?  It’s not very masky, so hard to tell.  In NC Duke is preparing to put patients in tents in the parking lots!  Except they don’t have enough healthy staff to tend them. 🙁

So, there’s only 2 more episodes this season?  

I was gobsmacked that Max had all those Brits asking for American-style  health care. You still have to wait months to see a doctor, and on top of that you go bankrupt from medical bills. Not an improvement on the British system.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know where we are in the timeline on this show?  It’s not very masky, so hard to tell.  In NC Duke is preparing to put patients in tents in the parking lots!  Except they don’t have enough healthy staff to tend them. 🙁

So, there’s only 2 more episodes this season?  

They are supposed to be in a post pandemic world. I guess all medical shows are like that now, so it will be pure fantasy for the next two years at least. And after that, they might just include what is the reality, Covid is already endemic. The pharmaceutical companies got what they were hoping for

18 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

I was gobsmacked that Max had all those Brits asking for American-style  health care. You still have to wait months to see a doctor, and on top of that you go bankrupt from medical bills. Not an improvement on the British system.

Not to mention that, even if you pay your bills, they still send you to collection. It happened to me three times, I had already finished the payment plan, the collection agency called me to harass me. Or when they deny a service based on their made up, non-medical guideline, but their denial contradicts their own guidelines. It just happened to me too. I could tell more stories about our system that happened to me, personally,  just in the last few months.

Yes, The NHS is in trouble, but because they are taking clues from the American system. Same with Canada. Both still better than ours 

• Like 2
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I must have missed why removing a cancerous tumor was considered elective surgery. 

I'm confused too.  No way is that elective. 

5 hours ago, circumvent said:

Besides, it is a tumor, you don't yet know what kind. surgeries are not performed before a lot of tests, the emergency wasn't the tumor, the hospital would have discharged the guy and told him to go find an oncologist.

that's true.

Heavy handed metaphor aside, going back and forth between bright London(in what world is London so sunny?)and bleak New York was kinda funny.

The ‘fish out of water’ thing they’re doing with Max is already falling flat for me though so I hope they focus more on Helen, because I find her more compelling out of the two and the reason she went back home in the first place was to work out some personal things for herself. 

FLOYD: no thanks!

IGGY: Down Under’s crush is silly but tolerable if they keep it at just a crush. Iggy’s literally got the best he can do in Martin so making him even slightly receptive to Mr.Down Under is ridiculous. I liked how he and Santa sorted things out though, that guy was a great actor.

BLOOM: It really is too bad she ruined things so spectacularly because I liked Leyla. I didn’t realize how much she balanced Bloom out until this episode. She had some great lines in this episode but her moodiness really stood out to me and made the Holistic Doctor seem even more grating. She’s okay but I feel the same about her as I feel with all the newbies: throw ‘em back and rehire solid oldies like Casey and Gladys and Agnes.  

WILDER: She’s fine but I think I might be the only one who doesn’t care even a little bit about their resistance. I’m not sure if it’s because it feels unearned coming from Dr. Wilder or what, but I guess I also find it unbelievable that Max and his chaos was the only thing holding the other doctors together(Fuentes was bad but really? They’ve stopped writing her like a super villain though so that’s great) but maybe they’ll pull some cool new patient stories from it.

9 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

My takeaway is that maybe healthcare systems always suck. Even in England, which people always say is better than ours, people hate the system. And of course Max is the one who can bring out people's complaints about something. But has he really not thought about where he was going to work before? He has a child to think about.

I liked Dr Wilder. She seems more competent than any of the other doctors there.

Most of what Veronica was doing seemed awful, but I didn't understand why telling women to start getting mamograms earlier was bad? It seems like a money grab, but extra mamograms would help catch cancer right? Did I mishear that part?

5 hours ago, babyrambo said:

IGGY: Down Under’s crush is silly but tolerable if they keep it at just a crush. Iggy’s literally got the best he can do in Martin so making him even slightly receptive to Mr.Down Under is ridiculous.

Seriously, Down Under's behavior is not tolerable at all.  It's grossly unprofessional and Iggy is essentially setting up a nice sexual harassment lawsuit for the hospital by letting it go and acting flattered.

20 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

The Floyd/Claude storyline reminds me of "My Two Dads" from 25 years ago.  Neither Michael nor Joey wanted to know who Nicole's real father was.😄

It's so dumb.  Even if these three idiots think it is not important, imagine what all their relatives are going to say when they hear about their maybe grandchild/nephew/niece/cousin, etc.  No one is going to want to live with that kind of uncertainty when the answer is so easy to get.

18 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Most of what Veronica was doing seemed awful, but I didn't understand why telling women to start getting mamograms earlier was bad? It seems like a money grab, but extra mamograms would help catch cancer right? Did I mishear that part?

It might help a small number of women, but it's an unnecessary screening when you are younger than a certain age.  Encouraging women who don't need the mammogram to get it anyways, ties up resources for the women who actually should be getting a mammogram. 

• Love 3

It's time for...

WORST DOCTOR OF THE WEEK

oh god we're starting in the taxi of them leaving new amsterdam?

oh ok we're in london judging by that siren

oh god they are just piling the stuff on and being right on the nose- that sign on the bus behind them said "new beginnings"

so that means we are definitely gonna have someone back at New Amsterdam within a few episodes. I wouldn't be shocked if they ran around like chickens with their heads cut off calling Max by the 30 minute point

max, that counter looks like an uncomfortable place to make out, your hand could slam right into that sharp cabinet corner

how are they painting so quickly

are they even allowed to paint that apartment

why are they painting the white apartment white

why are they playfully wasting paint

oh god now the floor is painted

oh hey it's the kid, I thought they were just going to never mention her again

Fuentes appears with grumpy face. Are they going to make everyone give her the silent treatment or something

oh look i'm right

it's been six weeks and the hospital hasn't fallen apart? i'm guessing it'll take another week or so

um fuentes i don't think you can get every department head there in an hour - what about ones who took the day off, or are seeing patients, or surgeons doing procedures that get new amsterdam money?

so they are gonna go with an Iggy Cheats On His Husband plot line, judging by how he stopped at the start of saying "Husband"

wait, it's only 6 weeks since she told Floyd she's pregnant, would she really be showing that much

oh god I care negative amounts about your storyline floyd, the baby daddy storyline is so bad

um bloom why are you still calling her six weeks later and why is it raining so much when there was no indication of that in the hospital (I believe when Fuentes was in the hallway, it was a nice sunny day out)

HAHAHAHAHA THAT LIGHTNING BOLT LOOKED SO FAKE

wait fuentes earlier you were saying that whoever wasi n the elevator was a face/name you didn't need to memorize, 

why are you needing floyd to raise his hand so you can find him

um fuentes how can you lower the suggested age for mammograms when you were literally just talking about how you don't want people sent from the ER for surgeries that insurance might not approve, when insurance will not approve mammos that early without very very specific circumstances

why the hell would she add a holistic medicine department, I could understand if she did integrative medicine, since that is actually helpful, but holisitic medicine is hokum.

oh god a secret meeting of max loyalists

ok I like Wilder

oh my god Iggy is being reasonable??? did he get hit in the head during the last six weeks?

oh no, Wilder is giving a Pearson Speech(tm) to rally the doctors... but it was not effective!

oh no Sharpe is Max-ing this place

oh no why would you have Max work at the reception desk

why is there only one receptionist

uhhh holy crap holistic medicine doctor why did you just take the patient out of the ER

also if the guy was struck by lightning once already, iirc that increases risk of being struck in the future

I'm surprised Iggy doesn't have separate funding for his work program through a ticket to work program through voc rehab or social security, since they'd need job coaches, job shadowing, etc.

in before the woman Floyd is sleeping with is pregnant with a third man's baby

i'm guessing holisitic medicine doctor is a "doctor" of naturopathy, which is not recognized in NY.

why would they throw out all of the christmas stuff, especially since Fuentes didn't seem against having it if it weren't after christmas

Iggy, wilder doesn't sound like Max, she sounds like a normal human being talking you through something

oh god are they going to say nationalized healthcare is bad, delays are bad, etc.

so the guy has "cancer" - are they going to say what kind of cancer it is, or just make it Cancer without defining it

um holistic doctor you should not be saying that even if you are trying to good cop-bad cop

Bloom how would removing a tumor be elective, especially when it is a kind of cancer that could kill him in days?

um, Wilder, doing surgery outside of the OR is bad

hey, Floyd came out with the paternity test right away - I am surprised

also how would their spit be compared against the unborn fetus (that is, at most, 12 weeks, I am guessing?)

and of course something is going wrong

oh no max is bored at the front desk, how is he going to revolutionize british healthcare in five minutes

wait wait wait, he's only two years out of treatment? the kid is much older than that

WHY ARE YOU DOING SURGERY IN THE MORGUE HOLY CRAP DEAD BODIES GO THERE

um Iggy indulging the delusional Santa patient's delusions does not seem like the best idea

wow I don't think that guy could look more British if he tried

what a surprise, max is trying to revolutionize healthcare

oh my goddddddddddddd this Floyd plot is just so boring please end this quickly

would they even have the results of the fetal test within a few hours - but maybe they rushed it because she's a doctor at the hospital

i mean they should know which one is the biological father for medical record purposes

yup, lightning guy just had Cancer(tm), nothing actually named

why would he be in the ER and not in post-op, well I guess since they operated on him not in the OR they can't put him there

how does every single patient seem to know about the holistic doctor in a day

i hope they don't abuse the Santa patient by having him report things on Fuentes, because holy crap if they do that Iggy needs to have his license suspended

max getting fired is what he deserves

where's the kid, she is nowhere in sight and the place on the floor looks the same as it was when we saw it at the start of the episode, so it is unplayed with since she got home

uhhh that was an abrupt ending to the episode

So, again this episode was boring, but it was *less* boring than previous episodes, since I was only tuning out during the Floyd parts.

Now, for what we are all waiting for..

WHO IS THE WORST DOCTOR???

so, there's the low hanging fruit of Dr. Whackadoodle

or we can future crime it and go for Iggy - since if Iggy ruins his marriage for Aussie, that'd be irredeemable.

I think we'll go for Dr. Whackadoodle, for taking a man who was just struck by lighting out of the ER (along with his hospital bed??? Where did it go so he could be hit in the head with a door????), to do accupuncture without clearing it by his doctor, since she is not a licensed physician

• Love 4
20 hours ago, babyrambo said:

She’s okay but I feel the same about her as I feel with all the newbies: throw ‘em back and rehire solid oldies like Casey and Gladys and Agnes. 

And Karen. Karen and Max scenes were my favorite ones.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Artsda said:

This triangle, baby, no DNA test story is horrible.

The show would improve greatly if they just aborted (pun intended) that plot. The actress is unappealing and untalented. The character is a pain in the ass, resorting to platitudes to justify her bad decisions. Maybe the writers will decide to kill her and have Floyd and the husband battle for the baby, which is another TV trope but better than what they are doing now. I mean, Floyd was supposed to be this super special surgeon, now he is just this boring person who might be a father of a baby but wants to play nice, pretending that "being present" is what matters. They were doing a genetic test, FFS, it does matter who the bio father is.

• Love 5

If the guy that got hit by lightning really was cursed, he would have been somehow killed by the acupuncture needles when he hit the ground after getting smacked by the door.

Was Baptiste just hanging around the hospital for whatever testing Lyn was getting done? They said earlier in the episode Max had only been gone for six weeks, how far along is she supposed to be that premature contractions are even a concern?! Add me to the list of people not liking this storyline and how Lyn is apparently shaming her husband and her boyfriend for wanting to know who the father is. The Floyd/Baptiste conversations were horrible but I did laugh imagining what would happen if Reynolds brought Lyn home for Sunday dinners with Mama Reynolds and his sisters, lol.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

If the guy that got hit by lightning really was cursed, he would have been somehow killed by the acupuncture needles when he hit the ground after getting smacked by the door.

Was Baptiste just hanging around the hospital for whatever testing Lyn was getting done? They said earlier in the episode Max had only been gone for six weeks, how far along is she supposed to be that premature contractions are even a concern?! Add me to the list of people not liking this storyline and how Lyn is apparently shaming her husband and her boyfriend for wanting to know who the father is. The Floyd/Baptiste conversations were horrible but I did laugh imagining what would happen if Reynolds brought Lyn home for Sunday dinners with Mama Reynolds and his sisters, lol.

Lyn has to be one of the stupidest TV doctors ever. And I say that as someone who’s watched a few other medical shows that also have dumbass doctors. I don’t know anything about medicine but depending on how far along she was when she found out/told Floyd she can’t be more than 3-4 months or so. And it’s not like the actress is expecting so it’s such a stupid storyline overall.

And yes, the actress is boring as hell. I don’t know if this would’ve played better with a different casting decision but good God. She is so wooden and emotionless, I always feel like she’s reading off cue cards. 

• Love 8
19 hours ago, circumvent said:

The show would improve greatly if they just aborted (pun intended) that plot. The actress is unappealing and untalented. The character is a pain in the ass, resorting to platitudes to justify her bad decisions. Maybe the writers will decide to kill her and have Floyd and the husband battle for the baby, which is another TV trope but better than what they are doing now. I mean, Floyd was supposed to be this super special surgeon, now he is just this boring person who might be a father of a baby but wants to play nice, pretending that "being present" is what matters. They were doing a genetic test, FFS, it does matter who the bio father is.

yeah, maybe she can die in a bad car accident after having the baby like they did with that other bad show i used to watch, the Resident

I was thrilled to see Geoffrey Owens and Genevieve Angelson!  I recognized Geoffrey Owens even with the Santa beard. Remember when he was photographed working at Trader Joe's?

I really think the holistic doc must be in a relationship with Veronica, because bringing her on board is contrary to everything Veronica stands for.

I really couldn't care less about any of the main storylines at this point.

• Love 3
On 1/7/2022 at 9:47 AM, cinsays said:

yeah, maybe she can die in a bad car accident after having the baby like they did with that other bad show i used to watch, the Resident

And Georgia? Isn't that how she made her exit?

I'm having a hard time right now figuring out which storylines I like. I find myself going back to the interactions between the Max, Izzy, Bloom and the minor ones who were all laid off.

I must commend the writers for how fast they managed to make this show go off its rocker. Ever since Season 3, it’s one stupid plot after the other.

Where do I even start?!

Iggy - FIRE HIM already! Though I’m guessing they’re setting him up for a cheating storyline with Down Under which will put his job AND marriage on the line. Martin better not die for this! He deserves so much better! 

Bloom - Did she really ask Leyla to tell her where she lives? Are we in for a stalker storyline? I thought she’d relapse but so far she’s been okay. Maybe they’re going to forget her hertbreak over Leyla until they need a cliffhanger again, just like they did with the bribe.

Floyd, Baptiste, Lyn, and the baby - Poor child will be born to the most elite educated yet completely idiotic parents.

I have some spicy predictions I want to throw out there: 

The three MD stooges decide to go through the pregnancy as an atypical throuple.  Perhaps we even see them raise the baby together in its infancy with some “cute” scenes at like the park or something where people ask Floyd and Claude who’s the dad and both look at each other awkwardly (Lord knows they’ve had a lot of practice on that).

Then, Lyn decides to have the DNA test, and, surprise, surprise (to no one but Floyd) it’s Claude’s, and off those two go along with that storyline. Having bonded with the baby, Floyd is devastated, and he’s thrown into yet another idiotic storyline. I can’t wait to see what other stupid thing the writers pull for him! 

Max and Helen - I give Helen a pass for her grandiose plans because she needs some time to firmly reconnect with her British roots.

They’re towing a VERY fine line though with going after the NHS. Is it perfect? NO! But I can assure you Brits wouldn’t want a for-profit system like US healthcare! For a show that’s supposedly progressive, they’re veering into some weird territory there.

Veronica - They’re trying to make her the villain in the stupidest ways. Really, a holistic doc (HOW can she even be called a doc on hospital grounds?!), who also came from the university?  Just when you think the writers can’t think we’re stupider…I mean, Veronica was presented as a seasoned executive who has a track record of successfully turning hospitals around. I’m sure it was not due to gimmicks like this, which I’m also sure they wouldn’t fly at a huge public hospital in the US. 

Wilder - Really the show’s only saving grace. More Wilder, please and thank you! 

Edited by winnie.minnie
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, jabRI said:

I also was wondering why they were painting their white apartment white.  

This was just your common trope scene to show domesticity. It lends itself to playfulness etc.

It’s not like they could show them strolling at a London park with Luna or pondering their picks for a meal deal at Tesco 🤣

3 hours ago, winnie.minnie said:

I must commend the writers for how fast they managed to make this show go off its rocker. Ever since Season 3, it’s one stupid plot after the other.

Where do I even start?!

Iggy - FIRE HIM already! Though I’m guessing they’re setting him up for a cheating storyline with Down Under which will put his job AND marriage on the line. Martin better not die for this! He deserves so much better! 

Bloom - Did she really ask Leyla to tell her where she lives? Are we in for a stalker storyline? I thought she’d relapse but so far she’s been okay. Maybe they’re going to forget her hertbreak over Leyla until they need a cliffhanger again, just like they did with the bribe.

Floyd, Baptiste, Lyn, and the baby - Poor child will be born to the most elite educated yet completely idiotic parents.

I have some spicy predictions I want to throw out there: 

The three MD stooges decide to go through the pregnancy as an atypical throuple.  Perhaps we even see them raise the baby together in its infancy with some “cute” scenes at like the park or something where people ask Floyd and Claude who’s the dad and both look at each other awkwardly (Lord knows they’ve had a lot of practice on that).

Then, Lyn decides to have the DNA test, and, surprise, surprise (to no one but Floyd) it’s Claude’s, and off those two go along with that storyline. Having bonded with the baby, Floyd is devastated, and he’s thrown into yet another idiotic storyline. I can’t wait to see what other stupid thing the writers pull for him! 

Max and Helen - I give Helen a pass for her grandiose plans because she needs some time to firmly reconnect with her British roots.

They’re towing a VERY fine line though with going after the NHS. Is it perfect? NO! But I can assure you Brits wouldn’t want a for-profit system like US healthcare! For a show that’s supposedly progressive, they’re veering into some weird territory there.

Veronica - They’re trying to make her the villain in the stupidest ways. Really, a holistic doc (HOW can she even be called a doc on hospital grounds?!), who also came from the university?  Just when you think the writers can’t think we’re stupider…I mean, Veronica was presented as a seasoned executive who has a track record of successfully turning hospitals around. I’m sure it was not due to gimmicks like this, which I’m also sure they wouldn’t fly at a huge public hospital in the US. 

Wilder - Really the show’s only saving grace. More Wilder, please and thank you! 

The Holistic medicine specialist isn't legally a doctor in around half of the country, including NYS

Now if she were integrative medicine doing some integrative stuff, sure - but not when the guy is in the damn ER.

tbh I am impressed at how boring they made this show this season, Can we just have a spinoff of Dr. Wilder? I love her character so far.

also this post is a perfect companion piece to my worst doctor posts

• Love 2

i thought i found a board to chat about the show but what is this? is this a message board for people to just hate on the show? why do you even watch? this board is weird. i can't imagine watching something i don't like, let alone coming on to a message board to talk crap about it. anyway, im still enjoying it and letting it unfold how the writers chose. it's typical primetime network tv fare.

Edited by BreakfastInBed95
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, BreakfastInBed95 said:

i thought i found a board to chat about the show but what is this? is this a message board for people to just hate on the show? why do you even watch? this board is weird. i can't imagine watching something i don't like, let alone coming on to a message board to talk crap about it. anyway, im still enjoying it and letting it unfold how the writers chose. it's typical primetime network tv fare.

It is called hate watch and it is definitely a thing. We start watching because we are interested, but we also have high standards and when things get messed up, beyond the possibility of suspension of disbelief, we come here to vent. I don't know, maybe a show runner who is really invested int he show as a project and not just a money making scheme can get some tips and turn around, making the show worth the time. I don't mind wasting my time watching because unleashing my sarcasm here is gratifying

• Love 2
23 hours ago, BreakfastInBed95 said:

We enjoy the show - we just enjoy it in a different way, given how the writers have taken the detour the crazytown. I was fine with last season - sure, it was social cause of the week, but it at least had some memorable things.

This season has honestly just been pretty boring.

11 hours ago, winnie.minnie said:

This is such an honor - I thoroughly enjoy your posts! 

Here's a visual to go with your award!

Worst NA doctor of the week-2.png

that is amazing, thank you so much!

Now you need to do your commentary every week/once in a while/whenever :P

• Love 1

Aside from woowoo doc not being a recognized doctor in NYS, I'm pretty sure Medicare and most insurance plans wouldn't cover the treatments she's administering even if performed by a licensed doctor.  I used to have a premium plan that covered everything under the sun -- I had surgery and 4 years of PT for $0 out of pocket.  It would only cover acupuncture if used in place of anesthesia.   

• Useful 1
On 1/12/2022 at 4:44 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

Aside from woowoo doc not being a recognized doctor in NYS, I'm pretty sure Medicare and most insurance plans wouldn't cover the treatments she's administering even if performed by a licensed doctor.  I used to have a premium plan that covered everything under the sun -- I had surgery and 4 years of PT for $0 out of pocket.  It would only cover acupuncture if used in place of anesthesia.   

They may cover it if used by an integrative medicine physician - some hospitals and hospital systems are establishing Integrative departments

Edited by bros402
On 1/11/2022 at 1:19 AM, BreakfastInBed95 said:

I like the show, but I wasn't watching back when it first aired. I think sometimes nitpicking helps get things out of one's system so it's easier to just get past the moments that defy belief.

If Floyd is the father, he'd have parental rights even if Lyn and Claude decided they wanted to keep the baby to themselves. If Floyd is the father, the three of them are stuck with a co-parenting situation forever. If Claude is the father, they can freeze Floyd out, however. And if you want to be in a non-monogamous situation, you have to be willing to do the work, and it helps if you talk to others who are also living a similar way. There are models to follow, advice to be had. TV always makes people try to re-invent the wheel, and of course that leads to a lot of unnecessary angst.

I love Dr. Wilder. LOVE HER!! She's emotionally an adult and not just an overgrown juvenile and compulsive chaos agent.

I would not enjoy having paint smeared on me.

I'm really pissed off that they were having the psych patients work for free if they were capable of being employed in the normal way. But I admit that seeing "Santa" become Veronica's assistant was awesome in the most TV possible way, and I look forward to seeing that lead somewhere delicious.

Slandering the NHS without contextualizing it is terrible propaganda. I wouldn't mind, if they were giving a fair treatment of the pros and cons; it's not perfect. But only highlighting the problems is just slander. Even at NAH they show problems but they also show greatness. So, no excse for not doing the same with the NHS.

On the other hand, Helen firing Max was the right thing to do, because he will never be anything but chaos and he doesn't even care about the trouble that makes for Helen. I wonder how he managed at the job he had before NAH. He worked at a clinic, didn't he? He must have done okay because NAH recruited him, but I can't imagine how that worked.

Iggy is playing with fire, and not the good kind. His self-esteem issues are going to ruin his career and his marriage in one swoop if he doesn't get a grip on himself, fast.

The unwashed jersey in the OR seems to me like it would be horribly unsanitary. If she really wanted to accommodate her patent's mania, at least put it in a sealed bag and let it be there, but don't wear it!

TV always portrays things like acupuncture without knowing anything about it. My ex is an acupuncturist. She attended a 4 year full time acupuncture college to learn it. It's not just for flakes and it's not just a placebo. But TV doesn't know what they are doing when this topic comes up, and I also don't know why Veronica would hire someone whose services are not covered by insurance. It's not a way to make money for the hospital.

• Like 1