Type keyword(s) to search

2022 Awards Season

• Start Topic

Interesting. I know Jessica Chastain has most of the requisite nominations, but I didn’t really see her in the running this year. Maybe with the lack of clear front runner, she can run on the “it’s her time” narrative. Amy Adams is probably kicking herself right now for award baiting with Evan Hansen this year. 

I think it’s Will Smith’s award to lose.

I need to watch Coda before my Apple TV trial runs out. 

I need to watch CODA, too.  I'll be signing up for the free week of Apple TV+ soon.

Can anyone who follows the entertainment news tell me if CODA's win was a surprise? I'm wondering how much of a chance it has in a category of 9 other nominees.  From what little I've read over the past several months, I'd put my money on either Power of the Dog or West Side Story.

14 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Can anyone who follows the entertainment news tell me if CODA's win was a surprise? I'm wondering how much of a chance it has in a category of 9 other nominees.

It did really well at Sundance. I think the unique nature of a mostly deaf cast, gave the movie an edge at the SAGs, and I’m not sure how much it’ll translate to the rest of the academy. Power of the Dog and Belfast have the better chance of winning, since they check off more of the boxes that the academy loves. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Can anyone who follows the entertainment news tell me if CODA's win was a surprise? I'm wondering how much of a chance it has in a category of 9 other nominees.  From what little I've read over the past several months, I'd put my money on either Power of the Dog or West Side Story.

Two of the podcasts that I listen to had CODA being an outside contender who is gaining momentum.  I wonder if this win will increase Apple+ marketing.

• Useful 1
(edited)

It would really be something if Jane Campion won the Oscar.  Women have hardly ever won that award from what I understand.

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 9.40.36 AM.png

On 2/27/2022 at 11:23 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm happy for Will Smith.  Uzo Aduba wasn't even nominated for In Treatment?  Was it eligible?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/sag-awards-winners-2022-complete-list-1235100358/

Quoting myself, Uzo has won a million awards in the past (including 5 SAGs for OITNB) but was not nominated for the SAG for In Treatment.  I am happy to see that she was nominated for the Golden Globe, Critics' Choice, and Emmy for it instead.  Her track record is insane!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
(edited)
On 2/28/2022 at 6:45 AM, absnow54 said:

Interesting. I know Jessica Chastain has most of the requisite nominations, but I didn’t really see her in the running this year. Maybe with the lack of clear front runner, she can run on the “it’s her time” narrative.

Yeah. And she went all-out. Self-produced biopic! Playing from teens to sixties! Prosthetics! Accent! Heart! Humor! Pathos! Singing! That's some nuclear-option Oscar baiting.  

But I have no idea what will happen in Best Actress. I could see any of them winning it. Colman and Kidman have "She's already won" working against them, but that didn't hurt Frances McDormand recently. Cruz's previous win was in Supporting, she's now a veteran international great, and she's really impressing people who see Parallel Mothers. Stewart was the presumptive front-runner for so long, but faded...but not so much that I'd consider her out of it.

Chastain has as good a chance as anyone, maybe more. She's been solid or more in so many critical favorites (The Tree of LifeTake ShelterZero Dark ThirtyA Most Violent Year, the Scenes from a Marriage miniseries) as well as more commercial films (The HelpInterstellarThe Martian). Even if the Tammy Faye picture isn't someone's thing, she might get it for career achievement and lack of prior wins. She's also well liked, and a lot of people filling out ballots will have worked with her.

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • Useful 1
On 3/1/2022 at 3:30 PM, Simon Boccanegra said:

Chastain has as good a chance as anyone, maybe more. She's been solid or more in so many critical favorites (The Tree of LifeTake ShelterZero Dark ThirtyA Most Violent Year, the Scenes from a Marriage miniseries) as well as more commercial films (The HelpInterstellarThe Martian). Even if the Tammy Faye picture isn't someone's thing, she might get it for career achievement and lack of prior wins. She's also well liked, and a lot of people filling out ballots will have worked with her.

If she wins, it'll be like Sandra Bullock in Blind Side, less the White Savior trappings.  Bankable star that everyone likes, giving a good performance in a mostly inoffensive movie.  Or Julianne Moore, though she was also getting an apologia for not winning for Boogie Nights.

Subtracting out the "likeable" part, that's also the template for Julia Roberts' win.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, starri said:

Or Julianne Moore, though she was also getting an apologia for not winning for Boogie Nights.

Or (in the lead category) Far From Heaven. She'd have had my vote that year, over Nicole's Virginia Woolf. 

She was also pretty damn great in her first nominated lead performance, The End of the Affair, totally overcoming my doubts about her suitability for it (I love that novel). But there, I really can't quarrel with the Academy's choice (Hilary Swank for Boys Don't Cry). 

(edited)

Jessica Chastain BANKABLE?   None of her recent movies have been hits.  The last time she was in a hit was It Chapter Two and I didn't even know she was in it so I don't think we can credit her for that.  Molly's Game only made $59 million when it cost 30.... is that a hit?  I don't know.

And Julia Roberts has made an entire career out of being likeable, even if some people out there do not like her.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And Julia Roberts has made an entire career out of being likeable, even if some people out there do not like her.

Onscreen, perhaps.

She does not have the most sterling personal reputation.  In contrast to Sandra Bullock or as another example, Regina King, who seem genuinely liked.

• Love 4

That's amazing.

4 out of 5 nominees for Best Director being women:

Best Director

Maggie Gyllenhaal, The Lost Daughter

Janicza Bravo, Zola

Lauren Hadaway, The Novice

Mike Mills, C’mon C’mon

Ninja Thyberg, Pleasure

I watched The Eyes of Tammy Faye last night and wow!  Jessica Chastain was fantastic.  I see that she won the SAG award, but wasn't been keeping up on the other awards, so I don't know how she did with those. Of the nominees, I've only seen Being the Ricardos and I think she's definitely better than Nicole Kidman.  I can't imagine the others beating her, but maybe......

• Love 2

BAFTA Winners:

Picture: The Power of the Dog

Director: Jane Campion

Actor: Will Smith

Actress: Joanna Scanlon, After Love

Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur

Supporting Actress: Ariana DeBose

Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, Paul Thomas Anderson

Adapted Screenplay: CODA, Siân Heder

Dune took several of the Crafts awards.

Details and other winners here:  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/bafta-awards-2022-winners-list-1235109906/

BAFTAS site with all winners: https://www.bafta.org/film/awards/2022-nominations-winners

Edited to add the link to the actual BAFTAS site, because THR's article has TPotD as Best Picture in its headline, but as of the time I posted this, has Belfast winning in the body of the article! I'm sure they'll edit soon but LaLaLand! 😄

Edited by ProudMary
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Edited to add the link to the actual BAFTAS site, because THR's article has TPotD as Best Picture in its headline, but as of the time I posted this, has Belfast winning in the body of the article! I'm sure they'll edit soon but LaLaLand! 😄

The BAFTAs have three Best Picture categories- a general one, International and British Film. BELFAST won the latter.

2 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

The BAFTAs have three Best Picture categories- a general one, International and British Film. BELFAST won the latter.

Yes, I ws aware that Belfast had won the British Film award earlier in the evening. My comment referred to THR's incorrect listing of the film in its article. That's why I included the second link that had the correct info. They've probably corrected it by now. I haven't checked as I'm now watching the Critics Choice Awards. Busy awards day!

I'm on record of not loving CODA as a best picture winner, but, as an agent of chaos, Apple TV becoming the first streamer to win best picture over Netflix is enticing.  Netflix has been thirsty for this for so long and to have another studio come in and take it would be kind of funny.

Edited by kiddo82
  • LOL 2

Let me preface this by saying that the only Best Picture nominee I've seen as of today is Dune. I don't normally make a prediction for BP, although I often have a favorite. I don't this year. It would have been tick, tick...BOOM! and I don't understand how that film didn't receive a BP nod.

Despite this, and only based on things I've read between the lines and/or commentators on YouTube, I have a ridiculously strong sense that West Side Story is going to be the surprise winner on Sunday night. 

Just my gut's opinion. 🙂

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Despite this, and only based on things I've read between the lines and/or commentators on YouTube, I have a ridiculously strong sense that West Side Story is going to be the surprise winner on Sunday night. 

Word of mouth is great, Picture does that ranked choice voting math problem thing, and the industry loves Spielberg so I wouldn't be surprised. 

Right now I think CODA has the edge thanks to the love from SAG and PGA but a WWS win would be a fun surprise. 

CODA winning Best Picture is the equivalent of Grand Hotel winning in 1932. That was its only nomination and the only thing it won. CODA has three- Picture, Supporting Actor, Screenplay and zero technical nominations at all. It would basically throw out 100 years of Oscar stats.

I suppose I'd like to see it do it for that reason.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Let me preface this by saying that the only Best Picture nominee I've seen as of today is Dune.

I'm sorry.  Dune is the movie I liked the least of what I've seen.  I have no idea how it scored so many nominations.  It baffles me.  

17 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm sorry.  Dune is the movie I liked the least of what I've seen.  I have no idea how it scored so many nominations.  It baffles me.  

No need for an apology for me. We have HBO Max and my son was very interested in seeing it, so I watched it with him. I can see how it could be nominated in and probably even win some of the craft categories, but I don't think it's a particularly deserving BP nominee.

7 hours ago, ruby24 said:

CODA winning Best Picture is the equivalent of Grand Hotel winning in 1932. That was its only nomination and the only thing it won. CODA has three- Picture, Supporting Actor, Screenplay and zero technical nominations at all. It would basically throw out 100 years of Oscar stats.

I suppose I'd like to see it do it for that reason.

Troy Kotsur is the front runner for Supporting Actor now, so it will likely win 2 awards. But your point still stands. Even Argo, which didn’t get the cinematography/director trifecta, at least had some sound, editing, and score nominations to pad its count. 

21 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I'm on record of not loving CODA as a best picture winner, but, as an agent of chaos, Apple TV becoming the first streamer to win best picture over Netflix is enticing.  Netflix has been thirsty for this for so long and to have another studio come in and take it would be kind of funny.

I haven't seen "Coda" and also think that the Oscars are a very screwy barometer of anything "best" in the film industry. But yeah, Netflix and Amazon have been trying hardcore for years and Apple was always kinda laughed at as the ugly stepchild among the streamers and as if they basically just started it to get more people to buy their hardware (which isn't totally wrong, to be fair...). And now they have "Ted Lasso" and "Coda." It is kinda funny. 

• Love 1

To my surprise, I like all nine of the BP nominees I've seen. Almost every year, I can count on a Promising Young Woman or a Ford v. Ferrari or a Vice (and so on) for the "Please, anything but that" slot, but this year. I'd give even the ones I liked least a solid "7."

So, unless I absolutely loathe CODA, which I've been procrastinating over for weeks now...

On 3/21/2022 at 11:34 AM, kiddo82 said:

I haven't seen CODA because it happens to be on one of the few services I don't have. It is crazy how having 6 streaming services is not enough lol.  If CODA wins that is big for streaming services in general. It would be hilarious but I still think one day Netflix will get the big prize they just won't be the first. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I haven't seen CODA because it happens to be on one of the few services I don't have. It is crazy how having 6 streaming services is not enough lol.  If CODA wins that is big for streaming services in general. It would be hilarious but I still think one day Netflix will get the big prize they just won't be the first. 

Netflix will eventually nab a best picture win.  Their biggest problems have been trying to skirt the rules and trying too hard.  The whole showing Roma in one theatre for one weekend in LA was too blatant.  Then there's the millions Netflix spent on The Irishman.  They want it too badly, and one thing Hollywood abhors is a try-hard.  You have to act like you don't care about awards, and then you will win the big prize.  

Stuff like this will happen when you have this many movies nominated for Best Picture.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

"Drive my Car" is 3 hours long.  Such a bummer.  It's going to be near impossible for me to see what I want to see before the ceremony.  Ah, well.

I really liked Drive My Car a lot but It didn't need to be 3 hours long.  I think you could have easily gotten rid of at least 30 minutes.  It will probably win in international film but I think it should be more of a frontrunner for best picture.  I also think there is also an argument that the male and female leads should have made the acting categories.

ETA:  now that I think about it, I think every BP nominee was rather indulgent in its run time to a degree 

Edited by kiddo82
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I liked it too, but it was...leisurely. Coast My Car, at times. I've seen movies with the opening titles placed pretty far in, such as Midsommar, but a 40-minute pretitle sequence is really hitting another level. I was at that point thinking we were going to do without them entirely (as is pretty common nowadays), and then when I saw titles appearing, I almost laughed. "We're still doing that? Really?" 

However, I'll say that while it asks for patience, it's the kind of movie I tend to remember the best parts of now, at the remove of a few months. That next-to-last scene is beautiful.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

I liked it too, but it was...leisurely. Coast My Car, at times. I've seen movies with the opening titles placed pretty far in, such as Midsommar, but a 40-minute pretitle sequence is really hitting another level. I was at that point thinking we were going to do without them entirely (as is pretty common nowadays), and then when I saw titles appearing, I almost laughed. "We're still doing that? Really?" 

However, I'll say that while it asks for patience, it's the kind of movie I tend to remember the best parts of now, at the remove of a few months. That next-to-last scene is beautiful.

I thought the same thing about the opening title sequence!  That might be the longest prolouge I've ever seen.  And I agree that it's the type of movie where the good parts will stay with you while the more leisurely parts will wash from your memory.  I wonder how it will play on rewatch knowing where things are going.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

ETA:  now that I think about it, I think every BP nominee was rather indulgent in its run time to a degree 

You're totally right, I just think that DMC might be the longest......  I would like to watch it one day but man......

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

You're totally right, I just think that DMC might be the longest......  I would like to watch it one day but man......

It's a commitment but I think it's ultimately worth it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

This is a really interesting video about the voting process.  I had assumed the movie with the most votes won best picture.  I had no idea about their ranking voting system.

How the Oscars Work….and How They Don’t

I think they should go back to five and just the majority vote.

A movie with zero below the line support couldn't win on that system. The only way CODA has a chance is with this preferential system.

• Love 1

What I always found interesting about the process is that the nominees are chosen by the branch at issue, and then the winners are chosen by the entire Academy. Randy Newman gave a memorable interview on that years ago. At the time, he had 12 or 13 nominations (a combination of his scores and his songs) without a win. He said it really is an honor just to be nominated, because it's your peers recognizing you. But there were times when the score that won the award -- bestowed by the collective Academy -- was something the composers might have had third or fourth on their list. 

He said it sometimes was hard for him as an Academy member to decide what to pick in certain categories. One year he really liked The Talented Mr. Ripley, so he threw support to it in the craft categories where it was eligible, but "What do I know about makeup?" Then he gestured at his own schlubby clothes and added, "Or wardrobe, obviously." 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

What I always found interesting about the process is that the nominees are chosen by the branch at issue, and then the winners are chosen by the entire Academy. Randy Newman gave a memorable interview on that years ago. At the time, he had 12 or 13 nominations (a combination of his scores and his songs) without a win. He said it really is an honor just to be nominated, because it's your peers recognizing you. But there were times when the score that won the award -- bestowed by the collective Academy -- was something the composers might have had third or fourth on their list. 

He said it sometimes was hard for him as an Academy member to decide what to pick in certain categories. One year he really liked The Talented Mr. Ripley, so he threw support to it in the craft categories where it was eligible, but "What do I know about makeup?" Then he gestured at his own schlubby clothes and added, "Or wardrobe, obviously." 

That explains why the winners for hair and makeup tend to be the most showy.  Academy members who know little about the craft vote for the ones that look pretty or look scary, etc.  I will say that Randy knows more about hair and makeup than he thinks.  The costumes, hair, and makeup in The Talented Mr. Ripley are superb and help to create the vibes necessary for the story.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That explains why the winners for hair and makeup tend to be the most showy.  Academy members who know little about the craft vote for the ones that look pretty or look scary, etc.  I will say that Randy knows more about hair and makeup than he thinks.  The costumes, hair, and makeup in The Talented Mr. Ripley are superb and help to create the vibes necessary for the story.

It also explains why cinematography almost always goes to the big outdoor productions with the sweeping landscapes.  My husband used to work in film and had to work closely with the cinematographers.  This always annoyed him because on the big, sweeping landscape movies, he'd say "God is the cinematographer on those.  Put up the flags and a few other pieces of equipment and you're done."  It's the inside sets or night time shoots where the cinematography is much more difficult and nuanced.  There was also a sound category that Bohemian Rhapsody won that had industry people saying that it's win proved that people who didn't work in sound didn't know anything about that category (It was nominated for both-I don't remember which one the buzz was about). I think every category except BP should be voted on by only the people who work in that field.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I think every category except BP should be voted on by only the people who work in that field.

At that point aren't you just rehashing the individual Guild awards? I like the idea, but I think they should weigh the voting pools, ie for the hair and makeup category, those in the field are given a weight of 60% of the vote, and the other 40% is the opinion of the remaining members, so that the experts have the greater say, while also diversifying the voting pool from the guild vote. Are voters allowed to abstain from voting in a category? I'm sure in Hollywood, people's egos are too big to think their opinion might not matter in some categories, but that could also improve voting, if there were qualification metrics for voting in each category. 

1 minute ago, absnow54 said:

At that point aren't you just rehashing the individual Guild awards? I like the idea, but I think they should weigh the voting pools, ie for the hair and makeup category, those in the field are given a weight of 60% of the vote, and the other 40% is the opinion of the remaining members, so that the experts have the greater say, while also diversifying the voting pool from the guild vote. Are voters allowed to abstain from voting in a category? I'm sure in Hollywood, people's egos are too big to think their opinion might not matter in some categories, but that could also improve voting, if there were qualification metrics for voting in each category. 

That's a really good point.  I actually thought of that not long after I posted. 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Over in "The Annual Academy Awards Topic," I recently linked an anonymous Oscar ballot that ran in The Hollywood Reporter. The Producer's ballot had abstentions in several categories. I wish more Academy members would exercise this option.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3