Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E07: Dee Gets Stuck in a Bog / S15.E06: The Gang Carries a Corpse Up a Mountain

• Start Topic

Last two episodes of the season. I'm guessing FX/FXX wanted to get them in by the end of the year.

Here's the synopsis for "Bog":

Guided by a young priest, Mac spends a day at the seminary to truly understand what it takes to become a priest. Dennis and Frank plan an elaborate trap at the castle to humiliate Charlie’s pen pal. Dee prepares for a date with an Irish doctor, only to find herself sinking in a bog. Having learned of his pen pal’s true identity, Charlie bonds with him and makes a choice that will forever change the Gang

I'm going to "spoiler text" the summary of "Corpse," even though most of us know what that entails.

Spoiler

The Gang attempts to ascend a mountain in order for Charlie to fulfill an old and mysterious Irish burial tradition. But one by one, the Gang backs out until Charlie is left to honor the dead body alone.

Am I weird to think that Cricket might rear his disfigured face before the Gang's trip to Ireland wraps up?

I feel like apologize to Ireland. And I know damn well "The Gang" is fictional.

Basically, it's those five at their absolute worst. Well, Mac did bail out of the seminary once his "buddy" revealed he diddled lads, but then he went back to being insufferable. And then it turned out his mother was paid off to tell him he was Dutch, which . . . damn. Well-played. And for a few loose cigarettes. Dee gets a date with a hot doctor, but then she gets stuck in a bog. Insult to injury: the Waitress ambles up and gloats often Dee's situation, demanding that she say her name. Of course, the Waitress winds up helping Dee in the end because she's not a psycho. And, of course, Dee climbs over the Waitress, leaving her stuck in the bog.

Dennis and Frank decide to host Charlie and Shelley, but for the worst reasons. Dennis is still listening to the castle. Frank just wants to feed shit to Shelley. Yadda yadda yadda, the Kellys leave, and then they see a banshee . . . which is actually a muddied Dee.

Turns out seeing a banshee is a harbinger of doom, because Shelley dies. Actually, he died of COVID because Frank believes in alternative cures. Charlie tries to get the Gang to help him carry the body onto a large hill to drop it from (because Kelly tradition, natch). One by one, they bail on him, and we get a poignant scene of Charlie in the rain, sobbing to his dead dad about never being a father. It's not "Mac Finds His Pride" good, but it's pretty good. But then the Gang comes back, all feeling guilty about abandoning their friend. They take Shelley Kelly to the top by pickup truck (Frank got it by throwing money at its owner), and they chuck the body over. It doesn't do into the water, but it's a case of "close enough." The End.

It's sad we only got eight episodes this season in the span of four weeks. The Ireland trip was great, though, with everyone getting a happy ending. Well, except for the Waitress, who's at the pub covered in mud, screaming at the Gang to lower their voices, then getting told that she's out of line. I feel bad for her.

She's still better off than Cricket, though.

ETA: Forgot to mention that when Dee's date showed up at the castle, Dennis killed him with the burning oil he was going to dump on Shelley. Only on this show can a main character basically murder someone, and it's mostly an afterthought for me.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

E7
Sike!

E8
The product placement for the Ford truck was unexpectedly funny. It had been fairly low key until the end when it became obnoxious in that special American way. 🤠

The end of the Vitruvian era. Poor Dennis.

Charlie should get an Emmy for that scene where he chews out his dad's corpse. That was quite powerful.

Great season but holy cow, how will they top it? I'm scared. 😉

• Love 1
On 12/26/2021 at 11:23 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

They really didn't have much other recurring characters as they usually do. 

I'm writing it off to the pandemic and the push to have episodes in Ireland. Once again, I was totally expecting Cricket to pop up at the rectory., trying to make a comeback to religion. Nope  . . . just Mac making friends with a priest that turned out to be a pedo.

On 12/26/2021 at 12:23 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

They really didn't have much other recurring characters as they usually do. 

Not only in this show but in many others... according to what I've read is one of the many collateral effects of 'rona *sighs* 😒