Type keyword(s) to search

Utopia in the Media

http://www.utopiatv.com/home   

I went ahead and got my passport, and watched all the videos so far.  I can't wait for the Live Feeds to start; I think this could be a really interesting show.   As a Big Brother superfan who has been terribly disappointed for the last several seasons though, I know that it will be highly dependent on the cast.  

There was an article on deadline.com about the coming tv premiere and the live feeds.

http://deadline.com/2014/09/utopia-contestants-series-premiere-fox-828396/

From EP Jon Kroll -- “I almost think we cast it too well,” Kroll said happily.  I think Kroll was doing way to much blow before this interview.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't describe Hex as "six feet of twisted steel and sex appeal" 

Funny -- there's no mention of the drunkenness or the fight that required security intervention or that Hex's dehydration was caused by aforementioned drunkenness or the threats by certain people or the constant and heated bickering/squabbling over the food/money/workloads or the 7-months pregnant contestant.

"Once a month, the happy natives of this Brigadoon of Broadcast will have their peace disturbed when Utopian wannabes show up, and viewers at home get to participate in a whirlwind election process, in which some of the locals get the hook and some of the wannabes get invited to join the clique."

Brigadoon of Broadcast -- really ?  I don't believe the writer of the article is aware of what the basic concept of Brigadoon is.  We can only hope that this show will disappear for a 100 years.

ETA:  The final line of the article is:  "Utopia is a very long spring break in Daytona Beach."  This statement pretty much guarantees that the writer of the article has not seen any of the live feeds yet.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

From the Utopia website:

Your complete guide to the plants of Utopia.

Fifteen very loud humans are about to move in on August 29 -- but what about the site’s pre-existing strong, silent types? Our expert plant masters have been busy tilling the soil and sowing the seeds of a new civilization.

You won’t see them all right away, but trust us -- crops are croppin’ up! Or they will be, provided the Utopians realize it’s up to them to keep their new home from becoming a barren wasteland.

The full ledger of Utopia’s plants suggests that our pioneers won’t be gobbling up eclectic fruit salads right away. They’ve got pomegranates to start, but their oranges won’t grow until the winter. The apricots won't bloom until May, so Utopians may not even realize they have apricots. Would you? Wow, you’re smart.

Utopia looks beautiful, and it’s in no small part because of this impressive floral arsenal.

Caesalpinia gilliesii (bird of paradise bush, has medicinal properties)
Cercis occidentalis (western redbud, can be used to weave baskets)
Leonotis leonurus (lion’s tail or wild dagga, known for medicinal and mild psychoactive properties)
Leucadendron safari sunset (red cone bush)
Lyonothamnus floribundus (California evergreen tree)
Myrica californica (Pacific wax myrtle)
Myrtus communis (common myrtle)
Prunus illicifolia (evergreen cherry)
Sambucus mexicana (Mexican elderberry)
Grevilliea noellii (hummingbird bush)
Pennisetum fireworks (purple fountain grass)
Pennisetum spathiolatum (slender veldt grass)
Penstemon spectabilis (colorful tubular flowers on tall spikes)
Salvia clevelandii (California blue sage)
Salvia greggi (pink autumn sage)
Salvia greggi (red autumn sage)
Salvia leucantha Santa Barbara (Mexican bush sage)
Salvia mellifera (black sage)
Ipomea vine (morning glories)
Solanum jasminoides (white potato vine)
Calliandra (powder puff vine)
Buddleja Black Knight (butterfly bush)
Buddleja Pink Delight (butterfly bush)
Arctostaphylos Howard McMinn (pink-flowered shrub)
Rosmarinus off prostratus (creeping rosemary) 
Lavandula stoechas (lavender shrub)
Miscanthus sinensis Zebrinus (Japanese silver grass)
Pennisetum setaceum Cupreum (red fountain grass)
Ceanothus Ray Hartman (mountain lilac shrub)
Dodonea viscosa purpurea (purple-leafed hop bush)
Tecomaria capensis (Cape honeysuckle)
Viburnum suspensum (evergreen shrub, produces berries in fall)
Pyracantha f. Graberi Bush (red-berried firethorn)
Rhamnus a. John Edwards (Italian buckhorn shrub)
Plumbag auriculata (white flower bush)
Osmanthus fragrans (tea olive bush)
Laurus nobilis bush (large shrub with green, glossy leaves)
Leucophyllum f. compactum (evergreen shrub with pink flowers)
Hesperaloe parviflora red (red yucca)
Distictis buccinatoria (red trumpet vine)
Distictis rovers (royal trumpet vine)
Trachelosperum jasminoides Staked (star jasmine)
Grewia occidentalis (lavender starflower)
Rosa Banksiae Lutea (Lady Banks yellow rose)
Rosa Banksiae Alba Plena (white root rose)
Orange King staked bougainvillea
Barbara Karst staked bougainvillea
James Walker staked bougainvillea
White Genoa fig tree (year-round)
Orolanco grapefruit tree (Dec-spring)
Page mandarin tree (Feb-May)
Dancy mandarin tree (March-Apr)
Gold Kist apricot tree (May-June)
Dorsett apple tree (Jan/Jul/fall)
Mex Pea guava tree (fall)
Hass avocado tree (Feb-Oct)
Eureka lemon tree (year-round)
(2) Sweet pomegranate trees (late summer)
(2) Granada pomegranate trees (Aug) 
(2) Valencia orange trees (Apr-Oct)

Later today two new 'pioneers' will arrive.  They'll stay for a couple of days, then the group will vote for one of them to stay on.  Gotta replace the one (Andrea) who got kicked out before even making it to the compound.

Edited by Zahdii
Later today two new 'pioneers' will arrive.  They'll stay for a couple of days, then the group will vote for one of them to stay on.  Gotta replace the one (Andrea) who got kicked out before even making it to the compound.

Looking at the photos of these two pioneers, they are both blonde like Andrea -- almost like they had a specific niche they needed to fill in casting.

When one of the potential newbies, Kristen the 23 year old, describes her skillset as "sowing the seeds of drama", you know that's who is going to stay.

ETA:  The Utopia twitter feed posted a map of the grounds

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwyCsaFIQAA0ghG.jpg

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

OK, folks!  Listen up.  Today two new people are entering Utopia to replace Andrea.  Who's she?  I don't know.  We never met her, she got booted while still in sequester for breaking some rules.  I know we've been told she either tried to contact other contestants before entering the compound, or she smuggled in a smart phone so she could get online and get information about the others before the show started, or violated the confidentiality agreement.  Doesn't matter now, she needs to be replaced, and now we have two women who are prepared to do just that.  Links to see the rest of their introductions are included below.

Meet Kristen and Rhonda.  Both attractive blondes.  The comparisons end there.

Read on:

Kristen.  23, Former burlesque clothing company owner, and in a relationship.

http://www.utopiatv.com/participant/detail/33/Kristen

Kristen calls herself an entrepreneur, loves fashion, and considers herself a master minupulater.  She talks about studying the Utopians online while on the flight out, taking notes on each person's weaknesses and how she can exploit them.  She uses Jon as an example.  She wants to ask him about his family, does he miss his kids, is he here to be a good role model for his religion.  She wants to get him to open up to her so she gets his loyalty.

She says "Naturally, girls tend to not like me as much".  She feels that she won't have trouble with the guys, but the girls will be more of a problem.  They'll band together because she's new and attractive and feel more protective of each other.  Oh, and also "girls tend to be more catty."  Meow.

Kristen feels that Utopia is missing some spice.  She says that while watching the feeds that everyone seemed so inhibited.  She thinks she can fix that, because she has a great wardrobe, she's brought a lot of flashy jewelry, she's sassy and fun.

Her Utopia is a work hard play hard mentality.  She wants us to know that she doesn't mean lots of drinking and hooking up, that's old news, you could get that on any other reality show.  No, Kristen wants to make money, throw concerts, have people in the community...(I don't know what she means because she doesn't finish the thought).  It ends on "Lets just enjoy ourselves."

Then we have Rhonda.  48, married with one child.  Lives in Oceanside CA.

http://www.utopiatv.com/participant/detail/32/Rhonda

Rhonda identifies herself as a conservative political activist, a business owner, former military, and a community response team trainer.  She's used to telling people what to do, and she looks like she can make it happen!  She has toned arms, a barbed wire tattoo on her left arm, has obviously spent a lot of time outdoors (slightly leathered skin), and brilliantly white teeth.

Says she's responsible for the Tea Party movement in Southern California.

Says her son, a high school freshman, was happy to see her go, (because he's a teenager and she thinks all teens want their mom to just go away [actually, I bet a lot of them do.  We'll see if her son thinks differently if Rhonda stays])

She identifies most with Red.  He's "so genuine and so real."  (Yikes!)

Her version of Utopia is where everyone follows their talents and strengths, people get out of each others way, and big decisions to be made by group vote.  (There's something about her that makes me think that the group vote should always be whatever her vote is, but vote her in and we'll see.)

She thinks the Utopians should choose her to stay because she's well rounded.  She says she has experience with cows and chickens, she knows how to garden, has business skills management, she can cooperate with others and is a quick learner.

I read most of the articles linked on this page (because Utopia is my new shiny playtoy and I can't get the feeds.)  The Kid's Nation report was interesting for the basic reality show rules of play.  Suggesting you might want to go home is the gold standard for additional camera time; producers get snippy if you have the perfect opportunity to be a dick and you choose to pass.

I'm surprised by all the enthusiastic comments from the Dutch viewers on the home site who are eager to see the American version of their original Utopia show.  They sound upbeat and not like the whole thing was a clusterfuck at all.  Makes me cautiously optimistic, although maybe the Dutch didn't cast from the deep end of the loony pool.

Strangest of all was the plethora of invective and backbiting from the commenters at EW.  "Immoral liberal filth"?  Obama attacks?  Sheesh, it's just fluffy little Entertainment Weekly.  Have they all been blocked from Huffpost?  The insults going back and forth are nastier and more offensive than anything on the show.

The thought of FOX cancelling the show and then having to tell the Utopians that no one watched and that they can go home now, is giving me life.

It seemed fairly inevitable to me (even before the show came on, I was rolling my eyes at the grand year long plans they were talking about).

• Love 1

I can see it now.    The Closing Ceremonies.

Everyone remaining gets a Utopia tattoo, and they ring the bell fifteen times.  slowly.  solemnly.  

if Red is still there, he runs around and tears stuff up.    Dave jumps over the back fence and helps.  Both are ranting about rich people's electricity and pop tarts.

• Love 2

Ah, what might have been, if they didn't make a terrible format.  But yeah... cancelation seems inevitable unless they can get a William Goldman- level reality TV "script doctor" to fix this train wreck so that it lasts even 3 months.  The idea itself has, with tinkering and improvements, potential...

Edited by hincandenza
  • Love 1

I can see it now.    The Closing Ceremonies.

Everyone remaining gets a Utopia tattoo, and they ring the bell fifteen times.  slowly.  solemnly.  

if Red is still there, he runs around and tears stuff up.    Dave jumps over the back fence and helps.  Both are ranting about rich people's electricity and pop tarts.

And Red and Dave continue running around ranting and tearing things up as everyone else quietly leaves the compound.

Maybe they were hoping for a franchise home run, like Survivor

Yes, to build a set like that, it would make sense. Survivor builds simpler sets and reuses them for two or three seasons. 

From the article:

“It’s a show that feels familiar but had a great unconventional twist. There’s an aspirational feel to it. But we launched it really early, maybe before viewers were ready for a new fall show,”

What, exactly, is the aspirational feel they reference?  Apparently the Fox executives have as little interest in watching the show as the viewers.

• Love 1

What is the unconventional twist? Aspirational feel? Huh?

So far there are a bunch of folks who are annoyed that people are not doing what they want them to do who are acting like jack asses and phone calls for food. I am waiting for someone to call and order take out one night because they feel like it. I had less contact with the outside world when I went to Girl Scout camp in the 1990's then these people do while creating their own society.

• Love 2

What is the unconventional twist? Aspirational feel? Huh?

So far there are a bunch of folks who are annoyed that people are not doing what they want them to do who are acting like jack asses and phone calls for food. I am waiting for someone to call and order take out one night because they feel like it. I had less contact with the outside world when I went to Girl Scout camp in the 1990's then these people do while creating their own society.

Truly, what are they talking about as "unconventional twist" and "aspirational (!) feel"? This must be producer-speak for "this was supposed to make a ton of money for me (aspirational feel). What happened? (unconventional twist, cause I was so sure I'd make millions)."   *

[* ETA:  ottoDbusdriver - your explanation was so much better! lol]

I'm still unsure of the time frame for this. Will we (well, somebody, somewhere, because none of us may last) be seeing it in anything like real time (e.g. "last week's events...")?

Personally, I'd love the message disasterous ratings followed by cancellation would send to the producers and cast of this mess.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1

Sounds like they're planning to give the show a bit more time:  http://www.tvweek.com/tvbizwire/2014/09/fox-boss-responds-to-record-low-ratings-for-utopia/

It'll be interesting to see if they still feel that way if the viewership is still down a week from now.

It's always interesting to see evidence that even network execs delude themselves.

This show's ratings are never going to go anywhere but down from here.  There may be minor fluctuations, because that always happens based on how many asses are on coaches on certain weeks, but almost nobody dives into a show of this nature after the fact.  They're there from the start, or they don't bother.

I'm still unsure of the time frame for this. Will we (well, somebody, somewhere, because none of us may last) be seeing it in anything like real time (e.g. "last week's events...")?

Yeah, It's weird -- Tuesday's show was only up to about Day 4 or 5 (when it was already Day 12 in Utopia).  Are they (production) planning for the shows to always be a full week or more behind the live feeds ?  

That just seems ludicrous in this day and age -- it's like NBC still tape-delaying the Olympics (and trying to hide the outcomes from viewers before broadcast).

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

They always trail by a few days on these types of shows so the story editor has time to assemble an episode of "highlight" clips to tells some sort of story real or imagined. 

The live feed thread here is where all the fun is with an absolutely brilliant member of our forums logging in the REAL happenings there with much wit, snark and humor while still showing the real deal which you don't really get just seeing the show.  In fact some people have quit watching the TV version preferring to get all their info from the live feed loggers who actually make this thing hilarious in the train wreck way that it is actually happening.

I'll probably watch on Friday at least because the two parallel universes of live feeds versus the "spin" TV show is kind of interesting to see in a schizoid way.  I assume they will bear less and less resemblance to each other as Fox desperately tries to save this mess.

Edited by green
  • Love 3

The review in VARIETY -

http://variety.com/2014/tv/reviews/tv-review-utopia-1201298923/#

says a lot of the same stuff discussed on this board .

Nice try, except the casting mavens have loaded up on extremes – folks with whom a lot of people wouldn’t want to share an elevator ride, much less a log cabin, even if it’s freeway-close to Los Angeles.

As a consequence, the crazy train made several stops before the first hour was up, from an emotional outburst by the ex-convict to the survivalist prepper’s blather about waste to discovering that one of the women is secretly pregnant. And that didn’t even count Josh, the 36-year-old contractor who got drunk and became abusive on night one.

Edited by backformore

Friday night ratings are in -- and it's actually getting worse.

While Utopia was in 2nd place ratings-wise -- a whopping 0.7 rating/3 share in 18-49 demo, which is OK for a Friday night -- it was 4th in total viewers, basically down 20% in rating and viewers from Tuesday's show.  And since there is no longer any Sunday night show with a healthy lead-in from football, I doubt it is going to get any better once new episodes of NCIS and The Voice (and The Flash on the CW) show up on Tuesday nights.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/09/13/tv-ratings-friday-utopia-slips-further-kitchen-nightmares-goes-out-softly-masters-of-illusion-flat/302390/

Friday night ratings are in -- and it's actually getting worse.

While Utopia was in 2nd place ratings-wise -- a whopping 0.7 rating/3 share in 18-49 demo, which is OK for a Friday night -- it was 4th in total viewers, basically down 20% in rating and viewers from Tuesday's show.  And since there is no longer any Sunday night show with a healthy lead-in from football, I doubt it is going to get any better once new episodes of NCIS and The Voice (and The Flash on the CW) show up on Tuesday nights.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/09/13/tv-ratings-friday-utopia-slips-further-kitchen-nightmares-goes-out-softly-masters-of-illusion-flat/302390/

That's great news.  And I'm just messing around with this show until The Amazing Race starts on it's new night of Friday on the 26th.

• Love 2

From ElleryAnne's link-to be clear, a Fox executive said:

"...But we launched it really early, maybe before viewers were ready for a new fall show,” she said

So apparently it's not the producer meddling or the bad casting or the complete lack of commitment to a premise, but that America wasn't ready.  Mystery solved, as long as you don't consider that other new shows that launch early do fine (and sometimes much better) when they don't have competition from new episodes.

To be fair, she only said "viewers", not all of America, so she's not insulting the whole country, just the people who saw the first episode. 

• Love 2

I'm not watching this but I saw a commercial that was enough to make me come here.

Are they actually considering giving people on a reality show guns?  Or was that a hypothetical question?

You don't have to watch the show to enjoy the train wreck.  Some of the funniest posts are in the live feed thread where one or two people here post what is really going on as opposed to what they show on TV.  And live feed recaps plus comments are some of the funniest and snarky (minus the animals ones of course) you will read anywhere about anything.

And no guns so far but they do have two hunting bows.

Edited by green
  • Love 2

Utopia is dragging down FOX's Tuesday night lineup. The comedies should have fared much better without competition from the other networks.

On a more related note, I can't get that silly Utopia theme song by Daughtry out of my head, only I sing my own version of the lyrics..."This is Utopia, where FOX's dreams come to die"

• Love 1