Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E05: Sad Sorry Lonely Little People

Pallas
  • Start Topic

21 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I also wondered why Kody and Christine were so resistant to the traditional rod and screw method. They only thing I can think of is that it would leave a visible scar on Ysabel's back. So what? I hope Kody and Christine didn't waste time and money on that stupid back trussing brace system for that reason. As for surgery, frankly, I would rather have a scar on my back than a surgery that cut through a lot of muscle and required the collapse of a lung just to put the scar on my side.  I wonder if the type of surgery Ysabel had added to her pain and long recovery. None of the decision making was discussed, of course. 

I had posted before that my friend in high school had the rod surgery many many years ago. She had to be in a body cast for months. Also, there was limited movement even after a long period of time. I don’t know if the rod surgery is easier now or if there are advantages over the tethering surgery. Both surgeries have scars, so I don’t think that would be the primary reason, unless all other things were equal.

• Useful 10
  • Love 6
On 12/19/2021 at 11:40 AM, Kid said:

The man appears to have no redeeming qualities. He fathers countless children and the women might as well be single parents.  He is just a sperm donor. They would’ve been better off going to a sperm bank.

A sperm bank would have more compassion!

• LOL 5
  • Love 10
4 minutes ago, Adiba said:

I had posted before that my friend in high school had the rod surgery many many years ago. She had to be in a body cast for months. Also, there was limited movement even after a long period of time. I don’t know if the rod surgery is easier now or if there are advantages over the tethering surgery. Both surgeries have scars, so I don’t think that would be the primary reason, unless all other things were equal.

This is just a WAG on my part as I have no knowledge of this type of surgery.  I wonder if there is more flexibility for the body from this type of surgery.  Possibly the tethering fibers have some elasticity, giving more freedom of movement than a rigid rod straight up the spine.

• Useful 6
  • Love 9
21 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

I used "steaming, stinking, worm-eaten sack of monkey shit" on another thread. You're welcome to it, @Persnickety1!

It was when I first saw the clip of him demanding Garrison be thrown out. My usual choices like "douchebag" and "vile creature" just didn't seem to cover it.

I was hoping Janelle was going to shove that rake up his selfish ass.  

Maybe next time 😂

• LOL 19
  • Love 3

Also, there was limited movement even after a long period of time. I don’t know if the rod surgery is easier now or if there are advantages over the tethering surgery. Both surgeries have scars, so I don’t think that would be the primary reason, unless all other things were equal.

I think that in one of Christine's talking heads, she mumbled something about this newer procedure with the tether allowing more flexibility and range of motion that the procedure with the rod so that is why they wanted it.

They are running a huge risk not having ongoing health insurance. They'll find out when one of these days, after an evening of little blue pills and Victoria's Secret Lingerie turns into a heart attack for Kody, that you don't always have time to acquire health insurance before whatever condition you develop has a chance to kill you.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

This is just a WAG on my part as I have no knowledge of this type of surgery.  I wonder if there is more flexibility for the body from this type of surgery.  Possibly the tethering fibers have some elasticity, giving more freedom of movement than a rigid rod straight up the spine.

Coming out of lurkdom to relate my take on the rod and screw surgery.  I had several herniated discs a few years ago and after x-rays, it was determined that I also had severe scoliosis.  I am old as dirt and had the surgery at the advanced age of 72.  I had the rod and screw scoliosis repair, a lamenectomy and a spinal fusion all during the same surgery which lasted about 5 hours.  I have two titanium rods inserted in my back to stabilize my spine, which now is much straighter.  I also have a lot of metal in my back due to the spinal fusion. I had one incision in the lumbar area which is about 4 inches long. While at the hospital, I had a morphine pump to use for pain but felt pretty good and used it sparingly.  I was up walking the next morning and was amazed at how good I felt.  I was hospitalized for 3 days and prescribed Norco for when I went home.  I did use the Norco, but again, used it sparingly once home and stopped using it at all after about a week.  I was horrified to see the pain that Isabel was experiencing and I just can’t understand why the pain was not better controlled.  Just my opinion, but to me it looked as if Isabel had a lot of extra medical procedures on her spine and lung.  Chest tubes are no joke and I think I would rather have one 4 inch scar rather than what she experienced.  The titanium rods do reduce my flexibility so that might be part of the decision making process that Christine considered.

• Useful 16
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

I wonder if the type of surgery Ysabel had added to her pain and long recovery.

I worked in heart and lung surgery for years. Anything where you go through ribs is much more painful than going through the chest. I also did spine surgery; surprisingly people who have an incision on the spine also tolerate it better than separating the ribs.

• Useful 21
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Adiba said:

I had posted before that my friend in high school had the rod surgery many many years ago. She had to be in a body cast for months.

as of when I was doing spine surgery (left it in 2004), we did not body cast anyone after spine surgery. And kids who have scoliosis correction heal quickly and are stabilized by the rods; they have to be careful about twisting and bending but over time the bone grows over the fused sections and it becomes essentially immobile. 

• Useful 13

Is there some reason Kody couldn’t have spoken directly to his sons, adult-to-adult? An actual conversation might have led them to figure out an actual solution. I dislike Kody intensely but I sympathize with the caution around Covid (yes, I know he’s inconsistent). 

• Love 5

If you read the description on the surgeon's page (Darryl Antonacci), it states that there is greater reduction of the curve in the kind of surgery Ysabel received, than if they did the tether from the front or the back. It looks to me like state of the art, and in his interview he differentiates it from "tethering." But also sounded from his clip in the episode that her curve was stiffer than expected - also more treatable with the kind of procedure he performs. I was pretty shocked to learn that he had to crack ribs and deflate the lung though. I think Christine did her homework.

• Useful 12
  • Love 8

I missed the maskless Robyn and Kody Brown photo......

Meri has always been only a guest in that family.  Janelle and Christine have always done the heavy lifting!  Robyn a princess.

What a mess they all are.

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 14

It set my teeth on edge every time Kody or Christine characterized Kody's absence in terms of "Kody can't go with them" or "Kody isn't able to join us."  Well, obviously Ysabel's father could have been there--her mother was there, right?

I have to reflect, though, that the covid pandemic before the vaccine was a whole different animal.  I personally did not interact with anyone for almost year.  The scenario where you became ill, went on a ventilator and didn't survive to come off the ventilator was very real.

It seems like the Brown family was custom-made for the pandemic.  I read about several "units" made up of neighbors who lived within their own bubble.  I would have assumed the husband, four wives and children would form a "bubble" and exist relatively happily through the magic of grocery store delivery services.  But the fly in that ointment appears to be the two sons who didn't want to be quarantined inside the family bubble.  That was a fairly typical attitude from people that age--see the pool full of young people frolicking at Lake of the Ozarks.  Young people weren't being scythed down like the seniors were, in the beginning.

I would have set iPads in chairs, like Andy Cohen does on his show, so the boys could have joined in during the many family bubble picnics.  We love you, but the family doesn't risk dying because you want to mack on your girlfriend.  Now tell me how that facetime thing works again.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9

8 hours ago, Adiba said:

They only thing I can think of is that it would leave a visible scar on Ysabel's back.

Having a visible scar seems like an absolute horror to them, it's mindblowing. Maybe this explains Robyn's goiter, as Thyroid surgery will leave a scar on the neck.  When it has healed well, it is barely noticable.  I wouldn't care about a scar if I was just fine then. Getting a scar shouldn't prevent anyone from having important surgery.

• Love 11
On 12/19/2021 at 10:52 PM, lindalouwho said:

I just love Hunter. After all that he’s been through, he still puts his family first. Christine did a great job raising those kids.

All of the grown kids are great.  They have seen the difference between good people and bad people.  Their moms have been wonderful examples and Kodouche is a horrific example and they simply don’t want to be anything like him.

They got the message.

• Love 20
On 12/20/2021 at 1:19 AM, Sasha888 said:

Meri can miss me with her fake tears about not being able to spend time with Solomon and Aeriellablobla, too.

Since you are home alone all the time, all quarantined up, that makes you pretty much the perfect person to go help exhausted Christine with Ysabel, if you really want to be part of this family and want so badly to be a bonus mom.

But there's nothing in that for you, is there, Meri. That's not a way to suck up to the Dark Queen, that's just work.

I cannot remember specifically where it was in the show (I think it was just before Meri’s video blog where she said she and Kodouche were just friends now), but the Idiot was talking about the COVID rules with his THREE wives….  Good Lord, Meri doesn’t even count anymore.  Can’t be any clearer than that.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, KateHearts said:

as of when I was doing spine surgery (left it in 2004), we did not body cast anyone after spine surgery. And kids who have scoliosis correction heal quickly and are stabilized by the rods; they have to be careful about twisting and bending but over time the bone grows over the fused sections and it becomes essentially immobile. 

My friend had it done in 1978 in Manhattan, I think Mount Sinai Hospital? Don’t know all the medical details of why she had to have a cast. I just remember asking her what did she do if she had an itch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I googled their names and Robyn and Kody picture at the Victoria's Secret mall shopping picture popped up!  Two hours away from home and maskless.  Happy as two clams shopping maskless!

Poor Isabel!

Christine gone and I hope stays gone.

Meri living her lonely life because nobody else wants her and the checks are a hug she doesn't get from kody.

Janelle just accepting crumbs and must really miss Christine!

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
12 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

It was when I first saw the clip of him demanding Garrison be thrown out. My usual choices like "douchebag" and "vile creature" just didn't seem to cover it.

I actually put down my iPad and paused my Angry Birds game during this scene.  I was like, is he saying what I think he's saying?  The unmitigated gall of that man to ask his "wife" to throw out her son for the purpose of potentially enjoying Kody's presence for a few minutes a couple of times a month, and then watching him either nap or play on his phone until Robyn whistles for him to come home.  

Also, he's vile because he's basically asking Janelle to toss their son in exchange for time he might spend with their daughter.  MIGHT.  There's no guarantees.  He sucks so hard, he's a black hole of suck with stupid hair.

12 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

I'm also pretty sure Meri was "safe" as she kept herself self-quarantined in her big house.  Could she have not gone over and sat with Ysabel to administer her medication every 2 hours and watch Truely so Christine could grab a nap or a shower...or both?

So much this.  Meri has been Meri-ing all over the place about how sad and lonely she is, how nobody loves her, how her relationships with some of the family are non-existent, etc.  Plus as you say, she's freaking QUARANTINED because no one wants to spend any time with her.  So why not stop whining and make yourself useful to the family that you claim to love?  The only reason I can think of is that Ysabel herself has issues with Meri and doesn't want her around, which is pretty believable.  I don't think Meri necessarily brings sunshine and rainbows when she darkens anyone's door.  And maybe Christine doesn't trust Meri to follow her instructions.  I know I wouldn't.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
18 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

Also, is this much post-operative pain common with the rod-and-screw method?

I’m wondering if the pain level from the surgery has anything to do with the surgeon going in through the side having to move her ribs out of the way. I’ve heard rib pain can be excruciating. 

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Maybe in the "olden days". Now insurance pays for X number of days and then you are out unless there are major medical complications.  Good grief, hip replacements used to be a week of hospitalization and now you are out the next day in a lot of places!

Retired nurse here and I have found your situation to be true in a lot of ortho cases.  NSAIDS work a lot better. I had a knee replacement and tossed out the Norco as soon as I got home. It was pretty worthless and Motrin did the trick.  Everyone's pain tolerance is different and Ysabel is a young girl. I have found the youngsters to be a bit more sensitive postoperatively.

My husband just had a hip replacement 6 days ago! They discharged him a couple hours after they were done. He's doing pretty well on the norco, low-dose aspirin and mobic combo.

I have severe chronic pain from neck and back surgeries plus a few other chronic pain syndrome for good measure, because why not? Lol. I have fusions with hardware and donor bone in my spine. Now, the areas above and below the fusion sites are going wonky.

My pain level, even with a narcotic and nsaid, never goes below a 7, and is usually around an 8 or higher. The meds sand the edges off, and let me be moderately human, but I will always have heavy pain for the rest of my days.
With the war on opioids being waged, we are given the lowest possible amounts and watched like hawks, even drug tested, to make sure we're taking our meds. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I’m wondering if the pain level from the surgery has anything to do with the surgeon going in through the side having to move her ribs out of the way. I’ve heard rib pain can be excruciating. 

I wonder that, too. Would Ysabel had pain in the ribs as well as pain in the back?

I don’t doubt that Ysabel was in pain post-op. Everyone has a different level of pain tolerance, and I hate when others try to minimize anyone else’s pain or compare their pain as worse than another’s.

When my daughter had to have a tonsillectomy as an adult, one might have thought it wasn’t that big a deal pain-wise. Wrong. For around a week she was in pain— and a lot of “discomfort” days more when eating or drinking.

• Love 17

When Codouche said "the pandemic has revealed us....blah blah blah", that should have been it - the end - finished - final - shows over folks, nothing to see here!  Then they should have brought in this panel of experts and we could have analyzed the hell out of the fall of the great Brown empire.  But we would have had to somehow work in that glorious pic of Christina rolling her eyes and going "a nanny?  really?"

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

Absolutely.  The intercostal muscles are heavy with nerves (keeps us breathing) so cutting through them causes a LOT of pain.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 8
17 hours ago, LilyD said:

While I completely agree with you, it’s common practise to discharge patients as soon as possible. Particularly now in the pandemic. Pain generally is no criteria, nor is stuff like a drain for instance. 

That is correct. The sooner they clear the bed, the sooner they can get another patient in it. Especially necessary because of the pandemic.

15 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I worked in heart and lung surgery for years. Anything where you go through ribs is much more painful than going through the chest. I also did spine surgery; surprisingly people who have an incision on the spine also tolerate it better than separating the ribs.

And her doctor said once he got in there, he had to separate 6 ribs instead of the three he was initially planning on. Ouch.

• Useful 10
  • Love 4

Pain and healing really is unique to each person.  

After my last surgery the doctor let me know that it would be a YEAR before I didn't wake up and think of the pain/surgery  first thing.  

It took 6 months for the wound to heal and 2 years with on and off numbness across my whole abdomen.

It really was a year before the pain went away enough that I wasn't affected by it daily.

So I believe Ysabel certainly could be in terrible pain 2-3 weeks after the surgery. 

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Love 17
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Also, he's vile because he's basically asking Janelle to toss their son in exchange for time he might spend with their daughter.  MIGHT.  There's no guarantees.  He sucks so hard, he's a black hole of suck with stupid hair.

And there was nothing to keep him from daily phoning or facetiming his non-Robyn kids, but he didn't do it and he'd go 5 or more weeks without stopping by for a talk with one or more of these family members in their socially distanced lawn chairs. 

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

Kody said he's not feeling the relationship with Christine in this episode, and that writing her poetry or anything would be fake because it's not how he's feeling about her. But when Christine up and left Kody, Kody made sure to say on Instagram that Christine made the decision to leave our marriage. He put it all on her, even though he admitted in this episode that their marriage isn't good and that he's not feeling motivated to improve it. Kody really is a manipulative, self-serving asshole. Robyn can have him. 

I thought the same thing.  She was at least trying to be tactful about her statement.  When she could have said exactly what the reasons were for leaving.  Who knows, she might at the end of the season or if they get another season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
10 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

and let us never forget that he thinks Meri should be courting HIM.  As though he is a prize to be won over.  That boggles my mind.  The gall.  

Yet she embarrasses herself coyly trying to court or entice him and doesn't see the pure revulsion in his face that we all see.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 7

I am a health insurance broker.  You cannot shop for health insurance outside of open enrollment without a qualifying life event.  So no idea what christine was looking for.  Plus, if you have insurance on the federal marketplace or a state exchange 99% of the plans do not have coverage out of network, or out of state.  Now maybe because of a "change of financial situation" she qualified for medicaid outside of open enrollment - maybe she proved during covid they had a severe change of cirumstances and qualfied for free health insurance.  

I was baffled by her revelation, personally.

Edited to add:  if this "shopping" was done during 2021 (which I think it was not) that would qualify them for the ACA extension of SEP and due to Covid, they could enroll on a plan. Still doesnt explain how Christine shopped for health insurance in 2020 for a specific surgery in NJ, from Arizona.

Edited by MV713
  • Useful 19
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, MV713 said:

I am a health insurance broker.  You cannot shop for health insurance outside of open enrollment without a qualifying life event.  So no idea what christine was looking for.  Plus, if you have insurance on the federal marketplace or a state exchange 99% of the plans do not have coverage out of network, or out of state.  Now maybe because of a "change of financial situation" she qualified for medicaid outside of open enrollment - maybe she proved during covid they had a severe change of cirumstances and qualfied for free health insurance.  

Maybe the whole “needed to get insurance” thing was bullshit?

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
33 minutes ago, MV713 said:

I obviously don't know specifically what went on with Christine, but in some places, ACA open enrollment was extended due to the pandemic. Or, maybe Ysabel got her own ACA plan if she's old enough? Christine may have also been able to get CHIP for Ysabel anytime. I don't know how "creative" they are with their finances to try to qualify. 

Edited by readheaded
  • Useful 4
4 hours ago, magemaud said:

Having to deflate a lung didn't sound like such a great idea, either; I'm still curious what they had against the traditional surgery, but that's the wacky Browns for ya...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, all4mom2 said:

I don't think Kody is "hinting" that Meri should court him.  I don't know how any man can make it any clearer to any woman that he is over/done with her forever.

Well, by “divorcing” her himself would be even clearer, but he won’t do that. Divorcing in quotes because I know they are only spiritually married at this point, not legally married. But Kody is not going to be the one who terminates his marriage because…reasons. After all, even though he didn’t want to be married to Christine, in his statement about their divorce, he made it sound like Christine made the decision all on her own. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 8