Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E05: Sad Sorry Lonely Little People

Pallas
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

Christine bought that large house. No way would she qualify for Medicaid or even a large subsidy for Obamacare.

I believe one qualifies (or doesn't) for Obamacare (ACA) based on income, exclusive of assets.  

Edited by nosedive
typo
  • Useful 7
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, LilyD said:

I’m actually wondering whether Kody offering Truely Liv water instead of hospital treatment was sheer stupidity or a calculated decision (no pun intended) because he knew he’d be getting a huge bill…..

Probably both - he is cheap and unobservant.  Kootie never paid enough attention to his kids to notice that a pale and limp 4-year old is not normal. Aspyn was only 15 and recognized the problem with Truely while Kootie was supposed to be in charge, 'babysitting' his own children (mugging for the cameras to show us what a great Dad he is because he spent 15 minutes of the wives-away weekend cooking hamburgers). Perhaps hiring a nanny is necessary to keep Sol & Areola from the "going to heaven early" concern he had in the last episode.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 2
  • Love 17
5 hours ago, Elodia said:

Of course Robyn is in dire need of a nanny. Someone's got to take care of her spawn on the days (every day) when she sleeps in til noon. Or when she and Rahmenhead are looking for Victoria's secrets bargains while strolling maskless through a mall in Scottsdale.  

omigosh, maybe back in 2020 they had the nanny so they could get away to other places without the little ones - you know, "travel"!! I would not at all put it past them to have taken a vacation of their own during the pandemic, even while accusing Christine of doing so.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

I do wonder if the nanny isn't some relative of Robyn's that is living with them--wasn't Robyn's niece living with them in LV? I know that niece did not move with them, but maybe they asked (enslaved) another relative to live with them for free room and board. Not saying that it justifies anything about Robyn and Kody needing a nanny/ full-time babysitter, but maybe that's how they'll explain the COVID issue? If not, I got nothing.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Kody is talking about all the stuff he does to go to heaven. I wonder whether he's finally realized that he unleashed his own personal hell on earth with all the things he's said and done this season! Oh boy, heaven has never been more out of reach than now!

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Emmeline said:

I believe that under the affordable care act, health insurance companies can't refuse to cover you or charge you more just because you have a pre-existing condition. Before that they could ask.  So that was one of the really good things about it.  I’m sure Kody never wanted to pitch in for coverage.

Yes, this is right. The ACA prohibits insurance companies from excluding or charging more for pre-existing conditions. Unfortunately, people like the Browns have no regard for others and don’t understand that insurance is cheapest for everyone when everyone pays in from the start instead of just paying in when they’re in need of medical care. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Especially since Robyn said last week or the week before that Kody had given up "his work" during COVID.  So Robyn, Kody, Day'un, Aurorabreanna must all be hiding out in the mansion, but cannot take care of the younger two?  Draw up some babysitting chore rules and put them in a clear plastic sleeve! 

Wasn't this the way of the Browns? The older kids help with the younger ones? I mean damn, Logan half raised those kids. I was so happy when he escaped. Robyn wouldn't even ask them to keep the young prince and Oreo borealis 6 feet away from Truely at the Prairie dog plague picnic. 

• Love 15
43 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

This so much.  He's had a close bond with Christine from as far back as I can remember, and I also recall seeing him on the show playing with and holding Truely quite often when she was a baby/toddler.  I love that he was there telling Ysabel that her scar was indeed bad-ass. :)

All of this, and I also need her to stop calling Ysabel "Izzy."  I have not heard one other person on this show call her Izzy so Robyn most certainly does not get to be the only one.  That shows a familiarity that Robyn does not have with her non-spawn.  Also, shut up, Robyn.

And here is what grinds my gears with that stupid mop-headed jerk....he is giving his wives not named Robyn between 5 - 25% of his total time.  As Christine said on the couch, her kids were her companions because Kody was NOT THERE.  Kody is an occasional passer-by who stops over out of a sense of duty, not necessarily because he wants to.  So when Kody has the absolute gall to tell Janelle that the only way she'll get to spend any time with him is if she kicks their SON to the curb - the son who is trying to save enough money to get his own place by living at home - I wish she would've knocked Kody's weave off with that rake she was holding.  How dare he?!  Just the fact that he is asking his wives to choose between a couple of days per month with him or have their kids at home might be the most unbelievable thing I have ever heard come out of that caveman's mouth, and that is saying something.  Just - wow, Kody.  You're a horrible, horrible human being.  Horrible.

Yes to all of this.  I too, was miffed that Robyn called Ysabel "Izzy."  She doesn't care about Kootie's original kids, and we know it.

• Love 20

just a thought.  Christine stated that she had to get insurance for the surgery.  Now, if that were me, I would have been ASHAMED to admit that my child didn't have insurance, which leads me to believe that that is how she was raised and it never occurred to her that it was a really good idea to have some.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

I am confused why Isabelle is BOTH on heavy-duty painkillers every three hours AND "in soooooo much pain!!!" all the time.  Either they're not working, or it's a story line.  When you take narcotics, you're not in pain.  You're FEELING no pain.

Also, what was wrong with the tried-and-true rod-and-screw method?  The cable thing just sounds sketchy, like it will fail at some point.  JMO.

The producers must love a Christine-heavy story; she says everything twice, thus filling more otherwise empty air time!

Edited by all4mom2
  • Useful 8
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Shelbie said:

Kody boo-hooing about how he’s not the head of the house infuriated me.

I have always loathed the idea that just because someone has a penis he is in charge of everything regardless of intelligence, aptitude or common sense. Kody wants to be in charge of everything and everyone and is a seething pit of rage that he isn’t. He then takes out his anger on everyone around him. He is awful on every level.

Yeh. It can't be said enough, Cody sucks hard. He is just now figuring out what the rest of them knew a long time ago.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Absolom said:

For some of us that is not true.  My last surgery it took them three very long days to find something that worked AND lasted more than 40 minutes.  What ended up working was an IV NSAID.  None of the narcotics worked better than 50% and none lasted even an hour.   On this one I'll believe Ysabel. 

She shouldn't (and wouldn't) have been released unless (and until) her pain was being controlled.  Also, is this much post-operative pain common with the rod-and-screw method?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

All the women except the legal wife (at the time) are considered single mothers with dependents and thus eligible for government benefits (food stamps, subsidized housing, Medicaid, etc.); they discussed pooling their food stamps in early episodes.  It's common among polygamists and called "bleeding the beast."  So I assume they had insurance, even if just state-sponsored, but maybe it didn't cover this out-of-state experimental (?) method.  I assume she could have gotten the usual surgery right where she was. 

Edited by all4mom2
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

The hoodie that Ysabel was wearing that her dad gave her had a logo with "Arms" on it. Something Arms. Probably the name of his gun biz.

It said Spartan Arms, it's a Las Vegas based gun store. I'm sure he showed up with his "man card" when he lived here and bought some guns from them or something. 🙄😂 He WISHES he owned Spartan Arms. He's just a disgusting excuse for a father and I'm over his stupid victim mentality that everything is everyone else's fault. He and Robyn deserve each other. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 14

They may have been eligible for benefits when all the children lived at home.  With the decreasing number of children even as single mothers they may not meet the income requirements for all or many of the programs.  They obviously have income from the show and possibly other sources and that has to be counted.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 12
16 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

So I assume they had insurance, even if just state-sponsored, but maybe it didn't cover this out-of-state experimental (?) method.

Nope, none  There have been multiple times when they have been in financial difficulty due to hospital bills such as after Day'uns accident.  And Grifter Christine did a GoFundMe appeal so that they sycophants would pay for the surgery.  They probably make too much income from the show to qualify for state aid at this point.   They don't even carry much car insurance, just the least they can get away with.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

It didn't even really seem like there was much communication between Kody/Christian and Ysabel when she got to NJ, pre or post op. 

One of the most incredulous things said this episode is Robyn discussing how competitive the family can be between Kody and the kids re: height or competition between the moms but of course, Robyn isn't into it and doesn't participate. 

Robyn!?!

The dark wife who rose from 4th spiritual wife to only legal wife who lives in a multi-million dollar home, who doesn't work and has a nanny and who Kody lives with full-time and by all accounts the only one still having sex with him, isn't competitive. Okay bitch!

Having just finished watching way too many drama shows and documentaries about the opioid crisis, I hope Ysabel was able to be weaned off them successfully. 

• Love 21
40 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

She shouldn't (and wouldn't) have been released unless (and until) her pain was being controlled. 

Maybe in the "olden days". Now insurance pays for X number of days and then you are out unless there are major medical complications.  Good grief, hip replacements used to be a week of hospitalization and now you are out the next day in a lot of places!

55 minutes ago, Absolom said:

My last surgery it took them three very long days to find something that worked AND lasted more than 40 minutes.  What ended up working was an IV NSAID.  None of the narcotics worked better than 50% and none lasted even an hour.   On this one I'll believe Ysabel. 

Retired nurse here and I have found your situation to be true in a lot of ortho cases.  NSAIDS work a lot better. I had a knee replacement and tossed out the Norco as soon as I got home. It was pretty worthless and Motrin did the trick.  Everyone's pain tolerance is different and Ysabel is a young girl. I have found the youngsters to be a bit more sensitive postoperatively.

• Useful 6
  • Love 18

Unless there’s a fever/possible infection, discharge would take place under guidelines.

Just wanted to say, I believe it was only Christine receiving food stamps. They didn’t pool the food stamps, they shared the food. I don’t think any  of them would qualify now.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, TomGirl said:

Meri is so pathetic with her constant reiteration of the fact that KODY WANTS NOTHING TO DO WITH HER while she still maintains that she has “hope.”  She has absolutely zero pride.

Yeah, her "I'm still here and I'm not going anywhere" spiel is pathetic. Meri, you are there for the paycheck and don't need to work too hard for it, either, since you are not really a part of the family anymore.  

• Love 15
18 hours ago, Adeejay said:

That Hunter is a student in the MBA Nursing Program at Johns Hopkins is rather impressive.

Isn't Hunter the one that graduated from the Air Force Academy? I have mad respect for him. 

Also, I believe Robyn needs a nanny because she is a lazy mother. I remember one episode she and Kody were talking about how they could not control the youngest one (Ari)? because the kid didn't sleep, she stayed up all night and ran around the house and finally crashed in the morning. Great mothering you got going on there, Robyn. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 21

I watched the episode. Janelle and Christine have a really nice relationship, and their kids have a great bond with each other. Good on Janelle for wanting to help.

Meri made her own bed, but I pity her, and I don't understand why she can't see Robyn`s kids. Is it because Kody doesn't want Meri around? When they all visited Ysabel outside, Kody and Robyn sat real close together, which is a total passive aggressive dick move. 

And wasn't one of the perks of polygamy supposed to be always having help? I'm glad Christine has acknowledged the truth and got hell out of her fake marriage.

I hope we finally get to see the Covid rules list. In the preview, I saw the one about taking off your shoes. I'm betting they are rules no reasonable person can follow.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

For some of us that is not true.  My last surgery it took them three very long days to find something that worked AND lasted more than 40 minutes.  What ended up working was an IV NSAID.  None of the narcotics worked better than 50% and none lasted even an hour.   On this one I'll believe Ysabel. 

I was the exact same.  I was on oxycontin every three hours and alternating ibuprofen and acetaminophen every two hours.  My pain stayed between 4-7 for weeks.  

I had heard that our bodies don't remember pain, I still remember that pain 5 years later.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

She shouldn't (and wouldn't) have been released unless (and until) her pain was being controlled.  Also, is this much post-operative pain common with the rod-and-screw method?

I found it odd, too, that several weeks after her surgery Ysabel was still on round the clock pain meds... I have done spine surgery on children (I realize she's closer to adult, but still...) usually after a couple of tough post op days, kids snap out of it rather quickly and recover fast. I question that maybe the drama ("she's mis-er-a-ble," intones Christine) is to pump up the story and the already-brewing hostility of the audience for Kody.

Did anyone notice (it's been going on a while now) that another pronunciation quirk (aside from the "fillings," and "dill with it") is that they don't say "get to," they say "gedda."  This episode Christine says it several times. "Today, we gedda go home." I live in Utah and haven't heard that one in person, but the dills and the mills abound around here.

I have never seen such a negative transformation of a human as has happened to Robyn. Do yourselves a favor and go back to season 1 and get a look at what she *used* to be- thin, stylish, sparkling eyes, happy. She is now just a bloated, dead-eyed shadow of her previous self. It's really astounding. Her face never reflects any of the emotion she tries to portray. She has no expression (except for a perpetual slight frown) and I find it hard to believe anything that comes out of her mouth.

Meri, Meri- please stop trying to convince us that you're staying for the long run since, you know, covenant with God, getting to heaven, your family belief and culture, blah blah. One minute she's flippantly saying "hey, y'all; you're stuck with me and I ain't goin' anywhere!" and the next she is on the verge of tears despite her "I barely care" or whatever slogan t-shirt. She needs some mood stabilizing medication and someone to slap reality into her- she bought into a bad idea thirty something years ago, maimed it when she got Robyn into the family, and killed it dead with her banana and catfish antics (BTW, what a choice for her "Lizzy's Heritage Inn Family Tradition Baking Extravaganza" - banana bread!)

Kody: "I've done some crazy stuff to get into heaven!" I guess being a responsible father, a good citizen who has a real job and pays taxes, and not relying on your TV revenues to support you doesn't count. 

As phlegmatic as Janelle can be, I find I like her the best of them all. She does her thing; she realizes that the family is a mess but she can't do a thing about it; and she raised some pretty awesome kids. I am in her camp re: the restrictions and "rules" Kody imposed: they are random and often senseless as well as selfish. I think she just doesn't give a shit anymore and is just living her life. I'm not sure, though, why she said, "I can't go on much longer without you being here." Hopefully in regard to her children and not her- em- conjugal needs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

While I completely agree with you, it’s common practise to discharge patients as soon as possible. Particularly now in the pandemic. Pain generally is no criteria, nor is stuff like a drain for instance. 
as for pain meds: I’m on a chronic pain treatment program due to two failed shoulder surgeries. Not all pain killers work the same way. Some are excellent for common pains but won’t stop nerve pain which requires a completely different approach. Ysabel would probably have received something strong for the first few days (possibly an opiod) combined with normal tylenol or ibuprofen and something that tackles the nerve pain. And even then, unexpected movements can really really hurt! I’m thinking about my c-sections now. I was happily drugged and painfree until somebody made me laugh… boy that hurt!

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I also recall seeing him on the show playing with and holding Truely quite often when she was a baby/toddler.

This! There was a wonderful scene of him in the bathroom doing Truely's hair. I forget when, but she was very small. ETA: I believe it was when he was attending the Air Force Academy prep school

Edited by Teafortwo
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

Also Christine said there were many different kinds of meds. She may have been on ant-inflammatory and post-surgical antibiotics too.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

I am confused why Isabelle is BOTH on heavy-duty painkillers every three hours AND "in soooooo much pain!!!" all the time.  Either they're not working, or it's a story line.  When you take narcotics, you're not in pain.  You're FEELING no pain.

Also, what was wrong with the tried-and-true rod-and-screw method?  The cable thing just sounds sketchy, like it will fail at some point.  JMO.

The producers must love a Christine-heavy story; she says everything twice, thus filling more otherwise empty air time!

I also wondered why Kody and Christine were so resistant to the traditional rod and screw method. They only thing I can think of is that it would leave a visible scar on Ysabel's back. So what? I hope Kody and Christine didn't waste time and money on that stupid back trussing brace system for that reason. As for surgery, frankly, I would rather have a scar on my back than a surgery that cut through a lot of muscle and required the collapse of a lung just to put the scar on my side.  I wonder if the type of surgery Ysabel had added to her pain and long recovery. None of the decision making was discussed, of course. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Kellyee said:

There is a movie called The Nanny Diaries, and they talk about the different kinds of moms that have a Nanny. I suspect that Robyn falls into the "doesn't work and doesn't parent" category. And the Nanny may be Kody's idea, if Ariella is still a pain in the ass. Solomon seems like an easy kid.

Christine bought that large house. No way would she qualify for Medicaid or even a large subsidy for Obamacare. I don't know how Kody figures in because I don't know if he signs the birth certificates of the kids whose mothers he is not married to, but I'm guessing Obamacare that would cover a decent part of Ysabel's surgery is pretty expensive. And with no real jobs, they have no option other than the Healthcare Marketplace/Obamacare. Christine may have qualified for food stamps when she had 6 small children, but now she only has 2 underage kids in her care. Plus, once she got the insurance, she has to pay the full deductible because she hasn't made a dent in that yet. It must have been a freaking nightmare, but it's hers and Kody's fault. 

They’re damn lucky the ACA was an option of one of them might have had to get a job with benefits and hope the insurance covered the pre-existing condition. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Kellyee said:

Christine bought that large house. No way would she qualify for Medicaid or even a large subsidy for Obamacare. I don't know how Kody figures in because I don't know if he signs the birth certificates of the kids whose mothers he is not married to, but I'm guessing Obamacare that would cover a decent part of Ysabel's surgery is pretty expensive. And with no real jobs, they have no option other than the Healthcare Marketplace/Obamacare. Christine may have qualified for food stamps when she had 6 small children, but now she only has 2 underage kids in her care. Plus, once she got the insurance, she has to pay the full deductible because she hasn't made a dent in that yet. It must have been a freaking nightmare, but it's hers and Kody's fault. 

Excellent point.

Perhaps because of the polygamy status of their relationship, Kody's name was not on the birth certificates of some of the kids so he can't take out insurance policies on them.  

That being said, there's no law stopping him from divvying up funds to Janelle and Christine to have funded health insurance for their minor children.  

Honestly, the term "prick" doesn't even begin to be harsh enough to describe this ass. 

• Love 13