Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: When Eddie Met Sally

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

On 12/21/2021 at 11:00 AM, BusyOctober said:

And didn’t they have a meeting pre-charter about the guests wants/ food preferences?  So Rachel should have stocked up on Jello, protein shakes, extra broth, maybe a 2nd or 3rd blender/juicer etc when she called in the provisions order to make her job a tad easier.

It sounded in the preferences meeting as if Rachel had planned having soups and broths ready for Lockjaw on a regular basis throughout the day, but that had to be scrapped by her insistence on eating the same courses everyone else was having. So there was a choice between her getting her shellfish smoothies a few minutes later, or holding up the meal so it all came out at once and everyone else's was cold/soaked through/whatever. I suspect the wait times for the former weren't significantly longer than the minutes they took in the aired version.

I do think Rayna is out of line trying to make the N-word incident into a bigger and bigger deal as time goes on. Her initial correction of Heather was on the money, but her subsequent behavior would be more appropriate to having it thrown at her or someone else as a heated slur rather than hearing an unthinking immediate echo of her own words by a drunken co-worker.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
17 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I actually have it in my kitchen cabinet, brand new carton of vanilla Carnation Instant Breakfast!

I had posted earlier that I am sure the doctor gave her some nutritional information and recipes for a jaw wired shut, why would she not bring that information along on her trip, why chance it and wind up eating chicken broth the whole time or liquified food that ought not to be turned to liquid.  On the same note, why wouldn't Rachel Google some ideas?

Oooh - I'll have to look for it - I remember it being so good!!  

• Love 2
On 12/21/2021 at 11:04 AM, sugarbaker design said:

Seriously!  What a buzzkill!  I did notice the other female members of the party did exchange some knowing glances, it looked like they were used to this kind of dramatic, self-pitying behavior.

I was curious about her so I did a little googling.  I wonder what the backstory is to this. Found it on a website called simply confess.com.  I tried to copy the link but it wouldn’t let me. This was 2 years ago by Anonymous.

“Season’s greetings to Chelsea Gonella, Michael Gonella, Alex Gonella, Floyd Gonella, Margaret Gonella, and Michelle Gonella.

You’re all vicious sadists and hope you burn in hell.

Especially you Chelsea. I hope you get to watch your entire family burn in hell along side of you.”

Chelsea is the woman with the wired jaw.

Maybe that’s why they travel with a witch, hoping to ward off curses from this person. 

• LOL 9

Heather, you aren't cute, you aren't remotely likeable, you aren't witty and you suck as a manager.  While it was clear that Jess was not a great fit, the way Heather bitched about her to Fraser was sooooo unprofessional.  She clearly was trying to stick it to her by putting her on service and when someone quits, even if it is at the last minute, your snippy "you have one hour to pack your shit and get off this boat" is not how a professional responds.  I agree with the poster upthread that said she should have said "let's go speak with Captain Lee" but instead pretty much misrepresents how Jess conducted herself to him after she had gone.    I don't know if it's her lack of real experience that is making her such a horrible Chief Stew but I think she is, the worst and I hate watching her.

Wire jaw lady....settle down.  A homeless person hungrily looking sadly in a restaurant window you ain't.  

• Love 17

Eddie is really beginning to irritate me. His deck is going to shit. His crew is losing respect for him and taking kindness (or ineptitude ) for weakness and his attitude is changing towards Lee. I noticed this season that after the "I want my boat daddy back" comment that he has been taking these little "pot shots" at his mentor. Mostly in the talking head segments, as he doesn't have the balls to say that stuff to his face. Captain should bust him back to bosun for the remainder of the season. That would accomplish two good things... it would fill the sorely needed position on deck, as well as give Mr. Ed a deserved kick in the pants. And while I'm at it, Eddie, "backclipping phenomena" caused the jetski to release? Bwahaahaa! Got to join Lee on this one. Wouldn't happen if the clip is properly secured in the first place. Captain wasn't swallowing it :) :) :)

A few episodes ago I posted a comment about Rayna, and I stick by it still, She is "useless on many levels". I will give her props for embarrassing Heather by calling her out on the bowl of food, although it would have been more professional if she mentioned it to her in private, But, Rayna says things for effect. A good example is the N word thing. She only seems to mention it when she gets criticised for something. I wouldn't trust her on deck either. She's the kind of crew member that will eventually get someone hurt.

Jess, you disappointed me. I thought you did the right thing by saying you thought it over and you weren't going to let anyone show you the door. I thought you had fortitude. I overlooked your lethargic attitude because of this. I chalked it up to post Covid "getting back into the swing of things" and I cut you a lot of slack. I thought you would shape up and be a great asset in this season and maybe more to come. Jess, you threw it all away. You acted like a lazy, spolied brat who took her ball and went home. Enjoy your quiet room and minimal responsibility again. I'll bet there is a part of that ship you will miss, maybe the electricity, maybe certain people, maybe just doing something productive and getting well paid for it. I feel sorry for you.

Rachael, you are killing it this year with the food. Too bad you used all your 9 lives up last season. Now would have been the time to say "that's not something I can do for guests" when it came to blending food to a liquid. In your defense, you probably are learning this aspect of what does not work along with the viewers. The wired jaw guest set you up to fail, at least in her experience. It also took something away from the other guests too. A chef needs mental harmony to cook at their creative and technical best. Sometimes, through no fault of their own, something sabotages it. That's what happened here. The rest of her guests don't realize that wired jaw screwed them a bit too.

• Love 15
35 minutes ago, aqusdealer said:

The wired jaw guest set you up to fail, at least in her experience. It also took something away from the other guests too.

Her constant complaining really put a damper on any fun whatsoever at the meal for the other guests. 

And maybe Rachel's blender isn't as good as mine, but that green gazpacho wouldn't need straining after spending some time in my blender. I think she was just bitching.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Eddie is really beginning to irritate me. His deck is going to shit. His crew is losing respect for him and taking kindness (or ineptitude ) for weakness and his attitude is changing towards Lee. I noticed this season that after the "I want my boat daddy back" comment that he has been taking these little "pot shots" at his mentor. Mostly in the talking head segments, as he doesn't have the balls to say that stuff to his face.

He actually has griped within Captain Lee's hearing, and snarked back to him to his face albeit in an affectionate manner. I think their mentor-mentee relationship is strong enough at this point that Eddie's not afraid to backtalk a bit. He's handled deck crews fine as bosun in previous seasons, so I don't think it's a matter of him not being able to manage his direct reports. More likely it's that he's away from the deck so much for this promotion training rather than supervising directly while being in the thick of things, which clearly doesn't work. Things seemed to run smoother at the beginning of the season when he was on deck all day.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I do think Rayna is out of line trying to make the N-word incident into a bigger and bigger deal as time goes on. Her initial correction of Heather was on the money, but her subsequent behavior would be more appropriate to having it thrown at her or someone else as a heated slur rather than hearing an unthinking immediate echo of her own words by a drunken co-worker.

I'd be willing to cut her some slack on this issue, because sometimes something will stick in your craw and start bugging you more the more you think about it. She seems particularly annoyed that Eddie sort of dismissed the whole issue when she brought it to his attention than she is at Heather for saying it.

The problem is that she seemed to be using that as an excuse for her poor performance when Eddie was trying to criticize her work. And she also seems to think her grievances give her license to not do her job or care about anything. I'm still shocked by her non-reaction to the errant jet ski. She just doesn't care.

• Love 10

She seems particularly annoyed that Eddie sort of dismissed the whole issue when she brought it to his attention than she is at Heather for saying it.

Well, she just kind of threw it out there to Eddie when he came to talk to her about her work performance.  It came out of left field and had nothing to do with the topic at hand.  Then she just shrugged it off once it distracted Eddie.  And what exactly was he supposed to do?  Like or hate Heather she did not call Rayna the name.  They were drunk and Rayna brought it to Heather after the fact and appeared to be ok with having addressed it with Heather and moved on.  But now she brings it up any time someone (mostly Heather) does something that irritates her.  Which is often.  Like all the time.  And again she doesn't tell the whole story.  She continues to imply that Heather CALLED her that name. But we know that is not true.  That is what bugs me. 

And yes her staring out over the water watching the jet sky bobbing away from the boat was very indicative of exactly what kind of worker she is.  Lazy.  Add Jess to that too.

• Love 11

It just hit me.  How does Chelsea brush her teeth with her jaw wired shut?

Why would Lee wait 8 hrs. or so before calling for a new stew?  He had to know it's high season and it wouldn't be easy to get somebody so the sooner he calls the better.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

It just hit me.  How does Chelsea brush her teeth with her jaw wired shut?

Why would Lee wait 8 hrs. or so before calling for a new stew?  He had to know it's high season and it wouldn't be easy to get somebody so the sooner he calls the better.

It's not easy.  When it happened to me, I was only able to brush the outer portion of my upper teeth, and then had to use a water pik to clean as best as I could the lower teeth and the back side of the uppers.

The good thing is, since you are not eating any solid foods, your teeth aren't getting any use, so flossing isn't super necessary (and impossible).  I remember that as soon my wires were off, I had a deep cleaning done.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1

I noticed when Rayna is griping to Eddie that she likes to include Wes. Me and Wes, Me and Wes. I haven’t seen Wes go to Eddie for anything. Wes did have a TH and said Rayna was overreacting. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Mr. Miner
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4

I noticed that when Rayna called Heather out on saying the n word and when she called her out on putting her hand on the food and sticking her used fork in the serving bowl, Heather goes off in a huff both times.  She has no problem what so ever dishing out insults and criticism but she can't take it when someone calls out her shortcomings. She gets all hurt and offended. Classic example of a little princesss who has been pampered and catered to all her life. How dare you say that about me attitude. She is the definition of mean girl.

• Love 14

Rayna mutters under her breath when she is told to do a task by her boss, she half asses her work then complains about being told to correct her work, does she not understand how a job works, that you have superiors telling you what to do and how to do it?  Rayna will be in for a rude awakening when she realizes this is how it is everywhere if you have a boss, shit rolls down hill.

I once had a boss instruct me on how to put a stamp on an envelope, something I had always prided myself in knowing, lol.

It is always these incompetent workers that complain the loudest about their job and boss, saying how unfair their work load is and bring the vibe of the crew way down.  What ever happened to just quitting if you are that miserable, it easier to work without a bad employee than with.  Why did Lee wait so long to get a replacement?

Not sure why Eddie has decided to suck at leading his crew, he as excelled before with a green crew and the slide was difficult but it got done with little issues, (by the way, did anyone else notice the mold on the bottom of that slide?), the chrome and decks were spotless, what happened to the Eddie that use to have his crew in order?

Why not give an employee a written check list for the stews? How to do turn downs, how to clean the bathrooms, what you need for a beach picnic, etc...and pulling all the platters and serve ware for each meal, the chef can tell the stews how foods will be served, platted, etc...Why isn't Heather more organized especially if she has had a large staff to manage, you have to make notes or you duplicate efforts or miss something, right?  Half of the things Jess missed was because she didn't know to look for those issues, if Heather would have made a list Jess would have seen the things that needed to be done.

Edited by Baltimore Betty
missed a word that changes a whole sentence!
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Why not give an employee a written check list for the stews? How to do turn downs, how to clean the bathrooms, what you need for a beach picnic, etc...

You bring up a very valid point.  Procedures are mandatory in every significant profession I've ever seen.  In my travels, in hotels, I've seen a checklist on the cart of the service personnel -- making sure everything was clean, stocked, etc.  It's elementary.  Someone who aspires to top management like Heather should know this -- but she's more interested in sniping at other people than making her Department efficient and productive.

• Love 10

Exactly.  If Heather gave the stews a checklist she could correct them if items were not done. I have a feeling that she does not want to do this because she wants to be able to say well you did this but you didn't do that. If they finished all of the itmes on the check list she wouldn't have anything to gripe about. Without a check list she can always find something "not up to her standards.

• Love 6
On 12/24/2021 at 3:10 PM, Tanukisan said:

Procedures are mandatory in every significant profession I've ever seen. 

I worked many years in the chemical industry and every machine had written procedures and protocols that had to be followed.  From the flavor factory to plastic coatings world to paper treatment.  Dad flew 747s for PanAm and the checklists were like God.

(Fluorochemicals are why the grease from food doesn't soak through the paper it's wrapped in, like it does in untreated pizza boxes or newspaper)

• Useful 5

Checklists would also be a big help considering that stews often get called away from their task of the moment to do something at guests' request, or to help with meal service. When they return to what they were doing before they could just consult the checklist rather than waste time trying to remember where they stopped earlier.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

We barely saw the first officer on previous seasons with the exception of Alex (sp?) in the first season.  As a leader, Eddie can not be everyone's friend. Just leave him as bosun. I think Eddie is more concerned with how people see him. Eddie- you should have tighten those reins in the beginning. Your horses are running all over the place.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 12/22/2021 at 9:27 AM, njbchlover said:

Oooh - I'll have to look for it - I remember it being so good!!  

I used to lovvvvve the vanilla flavor - I wonder if it’s as good as I remember it, too? I don’t know where you are (or, tbf, what’s up with it in the US bc I’ve never looked for it here), but I know in Canada it’s been rebranded as Carnation Breakfast Essentials. I guess they wanted to make it sound more healthy, rather than just convenient! My mom buys it for my niece and nephews… 

• Love 1