Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: So This Is Christmas?

• Start Topic

A satisfying finale, and leaves open the possibility for more. Nice!

Oh, and...

...thanks for the "holiday greeting card", Marvel Studios!

Edited by tkc
  • Love 17

...BEST END CREDIT SCENE EVER!!!

And maybe the best Streaming show so far, because that one is the first one which really nailed the ending. I loved every bit of it. Though now I am completely convinced that Kate's father is actually alive and will turn up in the future. Completely the kind of guy who would take an opportunity to fake his death, leaving his wife to deal with the fallout. 

• Love 16

NYPD has their priorities straight... Look for Kingpin AFTER arresting the woman who lacks superhuman strength. And take the long way around instead of using the giant hole in the wall....

5 minutes ago, owenthurman said:

What was the deal with the watch?

Looks like a retirement gift from SHIELD for Agent 19

Edited by paigow
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, owenthurman said:

What was the deal with the watch?

Basically a nice little Easter Egg. It looked like it confirmed Laura was Mocking Bird, another SHIELD agent who I think has a history with Barton in the comics. I'm sure others know more about that than me.

I liked the finale. Good balance of action and emotion. They made Eleanor somewhat more sympathetic than I expected. Meaning she's less bad per se than just rather dumb, I think.  She did have people killed, so she is indeed bad.  But she was obviously in way over her head and didn't know who she was dealing with in Kingpin. So yeah, she's pretty dumb IMHO.

Speaking of Kingpin, there's no way way Maya actually killed him. I did call her killing Kazi, though.

I liked watching Kate go down the side of the building. Where is your friendly neighborhood Spiderman when you could really use him?

And I liked Clint being able to talk Yelena down. I vote for a Yelena and Kate team-up in the near future.

The full Rogers song was a nice little Christmas gift from the MCU.

Edited by vb68
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16

OMG! What a finale! Probably my favourite of all the Dinsey+/Marvel series. Action, humour, emotion and as much closure as one can expect from a sprawling cinematic universe. I really liked how they didn't have Clint Barton hang up his bow just yet.

It was great to finally see Clint in something resembling his comic outfit. It took 10 years and 6 episodes but we got there.

I may have laughed out loud when Maya killed Kingpin (presuming he is dead - I don't know anything about him I didn't even know he had superstrength etc). Only because people were so excited about his return and then the MCU is see ya later. Still doesn't mean I care about Maya's story going forward.

So it seems it only takes one stab wound to kill a budget Jon Snow.

I have really grown to love Yelena as a character, that I am now at the point I hope she pops up everywhere in the MCU. Her fight with Kate was hilarious and if the MCU does plan to have a Young Avenger property I hope they use Yelena in some form so we can continue to have Yelena/Kate moments. I had predicted that Clint would save himself from Yelena by mentioning how much Natasha spoke about Yelena and loved her.

I was wondering if the show had shot the entire sequence we saw in the mid-credits. It was even more glorious than I had expected. AND I don't care that technically it sets up nothing moving forward. I just now I could watch that scene all daaaaaaaay!

As a person who doesn't have an encyclopeadia knowledge of the MCU, should I know who Agent 19 is? I feel like I've heard that name before but can't place it. And I tjought Agent 19 before seeing someone mention it here. So I've clearly come across it somewhere - is it just an easter egg to show that Clint's wife was an SHIELD agent?

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Though now I am completely convinced that Kate's father is actually alive and will turn up in the future. Completely the kind of guy who would take an opportunity to fake his death, leaving his wife to deal with the fallout.

Probably. When Eleanor was trying to explain to Kate, she said he owed Fisk a bunch of money, so the invasion was actually a break for him in that he could 'die' and drop out of sight. Still, she did murder Armand at Kingpin's request/demand, so he's likely safer away from her anyway. It was only when Kate might have been in danger that she tried to hit the brakes, and Wilson wasn't having that. D'Onofrio growling "Mind your business!" after the breaking of all those arrows gave me the shivers.

5 minutes ago, vb68 said:

And I liked Clint being able to talk Yelena down. I vote for a Yelena and Kate team-up in the near future.

I was kind of disappointed they didn't show where she went after all that. I think that's the first time she actually said she loved Natasha, that she mourned for how much time Clint got with her sister when they'd been separated for so long. As interesting as her interactions with Kate have been, especially that drawn out wrestling match while she was trying to keep Yelena from going after Barton, that was a catharsis she couldn't get otherwise, just being able to say how much she loved and missed her, regretting that there would be no more time for them to be a family.

11 minutes ago, Bill1978 said:

I may have laughed out loud when Maya killed Kingpin (presuming he is dead

It'd be pretty odd for them to get D'Onofrio to reprise the character for, what, ten minutes? He's pretty consistently busy and is still involved with another streaming show, Godfather of Harlem, but if they're going to bring Matt Murdock back as has been speculated, Kingpin shouldn't be far behind.

• Love 9
46 minutes ago, Bill1978 said:

I may have laughed out loud when Maya killed Kingpin (presuming he is dead - I don't know anything about him I didn't even know he had superstrength etc).

He's not dead (well, 99.9% sure). Maya shot him in the comics too. He lived to tell the tale. Hence they cut away from the actual shot. I'm guessing in her series, he will come after her for revenge. 

I enjoyed the finale! A lot of satisfying wrap-ups but it did feel like there was room for more if they so chose. There is never enough Yelena, but I was glad Barton got through to her at the end. Whatever else Barton has done, Natasha made her own choice at the end and he tried very hard to stop her from doing it, heh.

Kate's mother is a lot dumber than I thought, that she believed she could simply peace out on working for Kingpin. 

I loved all the trick arrows, especially the shrinking one. 

Barton finally calling Kate partner towards the beginning of the episode got me in the feels, just because she's been waiting for it. And it was nice he brought her home for Christmas, especially since pretty much her only family member just went to jail.

Jack was unexpectedly hilarious. I LMAO when Kate said "He's on our side...but we should probably get him out of here too."

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, Cristofle said:

Jack was unexpectedly hilarious. I LMAO when Kate said "He's on our side...but we should probably get him out of here too."

It's lines like this and the one about checking in with Scott on what to do with the mini truck that makes me love Marvel movies more than DC movies. They jsut feel organically and naturally humourous. Stuff people would say in real life, whereas DC movies seem to use their humour as jokes with a set up line then punchline which makes it feel more forced than organic.

I think that has been a large part of the appeal of this series for me, the humour. I hoenstly didn't care about the mob plot. I was tuning in every week for the banter.

• Love 18

Well, he isn't a "good guy". It is pretty obvious that he was interested in the marriage largely because of the money, and that his "job" is basically to charm other people. He just wasn't guilty of what Kate suspected him off otherwise. 

• Love 1

I'm sad Kazi didn't make it. I liked the dynamic he had with Maya. And at the end, it sounded like he betrayed Maya's dad out of fear of the Kingpin, not because of ambition. He felt he was stuck in that world. Stuck enough that he'd murder Maya if his back was against the wall, but still, a shame.

I really didn't like the LARPers getting into costume. Made no sense to me why that would help the partygoers follow directions better. Also, the LARPers all dipped out at the same time to change clothes, which left a few minutes where the party attendees would be completely at the mercy of the many hundreds (???) of tracksuit mafia guys.

I'd be shocked if Marvel really signed Vincent D'Onofrio just to kill him off after one episode. On the other hand though, I don't see the logic in Maya shooting to wound. 

Kate was great. Yelena was great. Clint and Yelena's fight and catharsis was great.

Lot of good stuff but it felt like too many things going on. And Kingpin moving to assassinate Eleanor without even securing her "insurance" policy seems beneath a criminal mastermind.

Also, I tweeted this a few weeks ago, but worth repeating in light of the full mid-credits scene:

Did they really film at Rockefeller Center??? That fight looked so expensive and on location.

BTW, re Kingpin's outfit:

kingpin suit simpsons 2.jpg

Edited by arc
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, paigow said:

Maya shot Kingpin... but the bullets bounced off... he knocked her out and drove away in the Bro van...

...I mean, they did quite specifically establish that he was wearing a bulletproof vest, after all...

• Love 3

While as a Broadway fan, I did appreciate seeing all the cameos in the Rogers post-credits scene, but I was kind of disappointed we didn’t get anything else. Also that musical is just ridiculous.

This show was fun. I wasn’t as invested in it as WandaVision and Loki, and that wasn’t a bad thing. At least couldn’t let me down the way TFATWS did.

I doubt Kingpin is really dead. The MCU bringing him in just to kill him off in one episode would be the stupidest move they’ve ever pulled, and that’s saying A LOT. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, paigow said:

NYPD has their priorities straight... Look for Kingpin AFTER arresting the woman who lacks superhuman strength. And take the long way around instead of using the giant hole in the wall....

Plus vigilantism is perfectly legal as long as they're wearing a cool costume. 

They were really blurring the line between human and superhuman with Kingpin.  If Daredevil had fought this version he would have been killed.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, vb68 said:

Basically a nice little Easter Egg. It looked like it confirmed Laura was Mocking Bird, another SHIELD agent who I think has a history with Barton in the comics. I'm sure others know more about that than me.

No.  It was really only confirmed she was a SHIELD agent.  The rest may be probable, but only implied.  They never said the name.   Even the 19 is only an implication.

Edited by SnarkShark

The Kingpin-Maya-Kazi relationships reminded me of the Thanos-Gamora-Nebula relationships. Kingpin was like Maya's father. Maya and Kazi were like his children, with one "child" feeling competitive with the other one, who is the better fighter. Kazi couldn't leave Kingpin. Maya was the rebel.

I like that Clint can make some trick arrows on his own. It's funny that they're now labeled.

I like that Kate told Clint about seeing him fight in the Battle of New York when she was a child and what that meant to her.

Clint is starting to train Kate, asking her to identify assets and threats at the holiday party. The LARPers are undercover as wait staff! And Yelena's there - in green, of course (everyone else is wearing red or black).

That elevator scene with Kate and Yelena was so cute. Their whole fight was fun, too.

The LARPers are like Team Hawkeye now. LOL - Clint: "We're all gonna die."

OK, I loved the ice rink fight where Clint and Kate (in their matching purple suits) used trick arrows to fight off the Track Suits. Yay - a shrinking Pym arrow.

Oh no, the big Clint versus Yelena showdown! Also, Maya versus Kazi, and Kingpin versus Kate. 

Clint knows Natasha's secret whistle! We've learned more about Clint and Natasha's relationship in this series than in the entire 10+years of the MCU. 

Florence Pugh is a very good actress. Yelena needs her own movie. Like Clint did with Natasha, Yelena also failed to fulfill her mission and spared her target's life.

Is Kingpin invulnerable? Can he be killed? Hit by a car. Shot with an arrow. Blown up. Shot. But we don't know if he died. Stay tuned... for the Echo series, I assume.

It looks like Kate is going to become a member of Clint's family (just like Natasha).

"Lady Hawk." "Hawkeve." "HawkShot." "Lady Arrow." "I have an idea..." The passing of the Hawkeye torch to Kate.

So the watch was Laura's watch and it has a SHIELD logo and "19" on the back. I guess that means she was SHIELD Agent 19. 

shield-agent-19-hawkeye.jpg

(source)

Spoiler

But the big deal here is that we now know that Laura was Agent 19, who, in the comic books, goes by the code-name Mockingbird. A fellow non-powered superhero like Clint, Mockingbird and Hawkeye have often been paired together, both as partners and romantically, so retconning Laura Barton to be Mockingbird makes a lot of sense.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

While as a Broadway fan, I did appreciate seeing all the cameos in the Rogers post-credits scene, but I was kind of disappointed we didn’t get anything else. Also that musical is just ridiculous.

Ridiculously awesome.

They went to Maroon 5, bro!

Some might say that I got way to excited when the LARPers suited up.  And to them, I say that they didn't get excited enough.

Sometimes you just want a show to be fun, and Hawkeye was fun as could be.

• Love 20

My fan canon is Laura was Mockingbird, then the designation was given to Bobbi Morse.

I knew they wouldn't go with a dark ending (other than Eleanor being a criminal), but it totally worked. I loved all the affirmation Clint gave to Kate, you could see how much it meant to Kate. And I knew he would bring her home for Christmas.

At the very least, we need a team up between Kate and Yelena. Hawkeye and Black Widow, together again. Obvious parallels are obvious.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Cristofle said:

He's not dead (well, 99.9% sure). Maya shot him in the comics too. He lived to tell the tale. Hence they cut away from the actual shot. I'm guessing in her series, he will come after her for revenge. 

Yes, he was just blinded for a few years, it was right out of the comics. I know the MCU goes different ways with things, but they pretty much kept Maya's back story the same. 

• Love 3

Well, elevator fight scene in The Winter Solider.  It was a good run, but I think Kate vs. Yelena in the elevator might have topped it!  Okay, not really, but it was freaking hilarious.  Their entire battle was, honestly.  Really, really hope that we get more Kate/Yelena team-ups going forward.  Hailee Steinfeld and Florence Pugh are just perfection together.

Pretty satisfying finale that wrapped up the majority of the main arcs, but set up some new ones that should hopefully be intriguing going forward (wherever this show gets a second season or just in the MCU in general.)  Glad Clint and Yelena finally hashed it out (in more ways than one), and there is an understanding between them now (even if I understand why Clint couldn't really go into the nitty gritty because is a whole lot to take in!)  One of the things I liked about this series is how important Natasha was to Clint (and Yelena) and how her presence was felt through all of this.  Can't wait to see what is in store for Yelena going forward.

So, Eleanor wasn't 100% evil, since her alliance with the Kingpin was mainly due to her husband's fuck-ups and I do think she probably really did think she was protecting Kate by doing what she did.  Still, she was still very arrogant and condescending about it at the end, so I kind of think this amoral behavior was always in her and she was using Kate as an excuse.  Her "How dare you?!  On Christmas?!!" reaction to getting arrested was priceless.  Suspect this won't be the last we see of her.

After the whole "Ralph Bonner" gag on Wandavision, it would almost be in line for the show to already kill off Fisk like this, but I definitely think that didn't happen.  We already saw how invulnerable he is (caught in an explosion?  Walk it off, man!) in this version, so I imagine he will survive the shot and will likely play a big part in the Maya/Echo spin-off.  Plus, I can see him being pitted against a whole bunch of other particular heroes currently in New York City...

Kind of wished they kept Kazi around for the spin-off, but I figured he had to be taken out to fully begin Maya's start into anti-hero territory.

Jack really isn't evil, but is just a bit of a weirdo who really, really loves swords?  I guess that's just on me assuming the worst of a Tony Dalton character!

The Tracksuit Mafia will go down as one of the most idiotic, ineffective, but lovable group of goons to ever grace the superhero world!

Clint and Kate taking out the Tracksuit Mafia was a blast.  Loved all of the trick arrows: especially how the Pym one came into play!

Aww, not only did Clint make it back to his family in time for Christmas, but even brought Kate (and Lucky) with him!  It also seems to be established that Laura use to work at S.H.I.E.L.D. (as Agent 19?)

The "ending scene" was actually just a full clip of the Rodgers! musical.  I can dig it!

Going to wait and see on how this overall stacks against the rest of the MCU shows, but I definitely think it had the strongest ending out of all of them and it was generally just a fun and pleasant journey, which is actually refreshing in a lot of ways.  By far the best use of Clint and Jeremy Renner really seemed to enjoy getting this kind of material.  Rest of the cast was great to with the highlights being Florence Pugh shining once again as Yelena and Hailee Steinfeld being the perfect choice as Kate Bishop.  I hope we see all of them again soon!

• Love 11
6 hours ago, swanpride said:

...BEST END CREDIT SCENE EVER!!!

And maybe the best Streaming show so far, because that one is the first one which really nailed the ending. I loved every bit of it. Though now I am completely convinced that Kate's father is actually alive and will turn up in the future. Completely the kind of guy who would take an opportunity to fake his death, leaving his wife to deal with the fallout. 

Agreed, they nailed it and that's a first for D+ (IMO).

So Laura was a SHIELD Agent but, unspecified? I thought for sure there'd be a Mockingbird or Agent 19 reference...unless I missed it.

I loved the Clint/Yelena scene. I know Nat was always better at hand to hand than Clint. I don't know if Yelena is, I felt that most of the fight was Yelena lashing out and Clint taking it because he feels so guilty and didn't want to hurt Nat's sister. The final scene were they both talked about how much the loved Nat was really good and I got a little misty.

I knew Kate would go home with Clint, I was kind of hoping Yelena would show up. Not to replace Nat but, family belongs together and this was Nat's family too.

There is no way Maya killed Kingpin off camera...maybe she took out his eye. 

I loved the end credit scene, Adam Pascal looked like he was having a blast and barely holding it together. I expected Yelena to be in the audience but, just watching the number was also fun.

Bye Dirty Jon Snow, too bad he was the only interesting aspect to Maya's screentime.

ETA: just saw the picture of the watch posted above, so it did show 19. I'll go with Laura Barton being the original MCU Mockingbird and Bobbie from AoS being the 2nd. Only because i believe AoS is part of MCU canon...well hell, now Netflix shows are too 😁

Edited by Morrigan2575
Saw picture of Laura's watch
  • Love 7

Jack might actually kill a few LARPers by taking it too seriously...

Yelena played the "confess before I kill you" game and lost because of a whistle. Barton should have led with that...

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

So Laura was a SHIELD Agent but, unspecified? I thought for sure there'd be a Mockingbird or Agent 19 reference...unless I missed it.

The watch had both a SHIELD logo and the number 19 on the back, which seems like a hint to me.

5 minutes ago, Llywela said:

The watch had both a SHIELD logo and the number 19 on the back, which seems like a hint to me.

Yeah, I edited my post after seeing the close up of the watch posted up thread. I didn't see the 19 on the TV...guess I need a bigger TV 😂 

Couple of things I forgot to mention. Jack being a smarmy but, "good" guy was a nice twist. I loved him using sword and his comment to little Renard about everyone remembers him peeing his pants in the Hamptons was hilarious. It was just so childish and yet funny.

I also loved the shrunk truck and the bros, I wonder what the Owl will do with it? LOL.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Couple of things I forgot to mention. Jack being a smarmy but, "good" guy was a nice twist. I loved him using sword and his comment to little Renard about everyone remembers him peeing his pants in the Hamptons was hilarious. It was just so childish and yet funny.

Also Grills carrying the kid out of the building while he's kicking and yelling, "Don't you know who I am?!" "I'm trying to save your life, you little brat."

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
Just now, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Also Grills carrying the kid out of the building while he's kicking and yelling, "Don't you know who I am?!" "I'm trying to save your life, you little brat."

That was great too. There really was a ton of great moments. I didn't even realize it was the LARP's as the staff at first (before the fighting started). 

Also, I got serious Die Hard Vibes at the beginning seeing the Bros trucks drive up. The way it was shot looked like the Die Hard scene

• Love 2
6 hours ago, vb68 said:

"I don't know. I guess I need to ask Scott."

and then the owl...

I enjoyed the series, it might not have been my favorite, but it might have had the best and most satisfying finale.

Why did Eleanor put the hit out on Clint in the first place, was it to keep him away from her daughter or was she ordered to do it for business reasons by the Kingpin?

• Love 3

The owl was one step too far for me...but then, I am a little bit squirmy. 

Naturally the cops were incompetent. They are all (unless they are larpers or close friends of Matt Murdock, naturally) in the pocket of King Pin after all. 

Did we ever had an action movie which did THAT with the tree of the Rockefeller Center? And used the ice skating ring that effectively? I can't think of any but then, I am not that much into pure action movies...

Count me in as loving the elevator scene. 

Not sure if I should be disappointed that Kate didn't do any accidental music on the giant piano or glad that they didn't go there. 

Somehow it makes total sense that Rich people wouldn't listen to the serving staff, but (in this particular world) to people in costumes. Though they should have all changed at the same time.

Speaking of rich people, somehow I have the feeling that Armand the VII might turn up in the future. He was a little bit too present to just be a running gag. 

I keep rewatching the musical, and discover more and more details...like "hawkeye" having to push Caps shield slightly aside. Honestly, I have so much fun with that one (and I wouldn't be surprised if New Yorkers took to it specifically). 

• Love 2

Chekov's owl!

Kate and Yelena are so great together. I hope we see them in a movie or series. The slap and both their reactions were hilarious. 

I've made my peace that the last 2 seasons meanr Agents of SHIELD was definitely a different timeline. They never called Bobbi Morse "Agent 19"(her SHIELD designation in the comics) so a version of her could still be out there while Laura is married to Clint.

The callback to the whistle was sweet but I was hoping Clint would sing Yelena's favorite song "American Pie". I like Jeremy Renner's singing!

Well that was goddamn delightful. My only criticism - no boomerang arrow?? Come on! But seriously, that was so much fun. And MCU can make Kingpin scary cuz he was terrifying going after Kate. Also, like I believe a single bullet took him down. He'll be back.

The gasp I made when Kate smacked Yelena. I'm pretty sure our faces looked the same. FloP was such a great choice for this role, and I look forward to what comes next. I'm glad she hashed it out with Clint and knows that Natasha never stopped thinking and caring about her. And Clint made it home for Christmas. Though there was one brief moment when he was standing outside I thought he'd walk in and find something terrible had happened to his family which didn't make sense with the tone of the show, but I was concerned. Then Nate appeared and everything was fine again.

MVP was the Rockefeller owl. I loved that little guy when he was found last year, and I loved that someone thought to include him here. 

That end credit scene was great. The costumes were terrible, but hey, we don't know what kind of hit Broadway took during the Snap. Budgets may be tight right now. Nice seeing Adam Pascal again. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, readster said:

Yes, he was just blinded for a few years, it was right out of the comics. I know the MCU goes different ways with things, but they pretty much kept Maya's back story the same. 

They may allude to it, but Fat Man is fast too.  It may be easier just to show him striking her arm.

That said, he mentioned eyes in that scene.

6 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Wait...the owl is a REAL thing? 

Google it.

This was just a CGI equivalent, of course.

1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

I imagine he will survive the shot and will likely play a big part in the Maya/Echo spin-off.  Plus, I can see him being pitted against a whole bunch of other particular heroes currently in New York City...

Also, he's going to be carrying a pretty big grudge against Kate.  Her actions directly and indirectly led to all of this. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SnarkShark said:

No.  It was really only confirmed she was a SHIELD agent.  The rest may be probable, but only implied.  They never said the name.   Even the 19 is only an implication.

1 hour ago, Llywela said:

Even if it's just an implication, it seems like a pretty strong implication.

I have no idea though if Agents of SHIELD is canon or not. 

19 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

MVP was the Rockefeller owl. I loved that little guy when he was found last year, and I loved that someone thought to include him here. 

I don't even remember that. I had no idea it was pulled from real life.😂

Laura's a fair bit older than Bobbi and we know she retired long enough ago to have a kid who would be over 20 if he hadn't been blipped, so I don't see any incongruity in both her and Bobbi being Mockingbird, with the code name being passed on.

I don't have any explanation for why the Tracksuits wanted her old retirement watch, though!

• Love 8