Type keyword(s) to search

How I Met Your Father - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I actually really liked this second episode. The Sid/Jesse/Meredith part was definitely the strongest but I was actually pleasantly surprised that I didn't hate Ellen/Charlie's part because they are far and away my least favorites. It was a nice change to have the group split up more and doing different things for most of the episode. I liked the story retelling with more of the truth revealed later on, very HIMYM vibe there. I fully expected the reveal to be that Meredith had cheated on Jesse, so that was an interesting little twist for me. Also good to take a break from Sophie's dating disasters and explore other areas. Looking forward to a nice long second season. 

• Like 1

The more we hear about Jessie and Ellen's family, the more messed up they seem. I was also sure that Meredith was cheating on Jessie, but what Sid heard was bad. No way do they end up together, it seems like she's inevitably going to just ditch him again. 

Pretty good episode, definitely better than the first one. I laughed several times and the structure felt very HIMYM. 

• Like 1

Thought this episode was pretty solid too.  It's getting better. 

Rando was funny.  Even if it was a variation of blah blah in the original.  

Also no reference to 'suit up!'  Missed opportunity.  

And maybe I missed something or its a set up for later but she mentioned kissing all her friends at the beginning but then doesn't seem to happen this episode

• Like 2

The episode was fine, but I hated the subplot about the totally random, faceless man that Valentina was dating.  It's disgusting when pop culture treats women like that, so it should be the same for men.  How objectifying.  I think they were trying to do HIMYM humour, but a lot of that humour was already dated at the time.

If the show is trying to make us remember or like Hannah, this is doing a bad job of it.  That's how she treats her friends?  Does she have her own friends?  Are all of her friends Sid's friends?  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Rando felt very much like blah blah or that older guy Robin dated being remembered as an elderly man on the original show. 

So we might not know the father, but we know that Sophie is going to make out with every one of her friends at some point. 

Pretty solid episode. 

It was a pretty solid episode though I do think how Sophie is written kind of falls into the stereotypical female tropes (flaky, etc). So when she was giving the speech about how the men's movement was kind of a joke...I kept thinking that her past actions kind of confirm his beliefs.  Though maybe this event will evolve Sophie into the wise Sophie we see in the future (less flighty, more serene)

My favorite of the 3 plots was the quirky frequent flyer blind date with Charlie being baffled at missing the appeal of her..unaware of the real reason why Sid and Hannah were so Gaga over her.

Edited by JAYJAY1979

I do not agree that the existence of flaky women lends the Men's Rights Movement any credibility.  Women are allowed to be as flighty and flaky as they want to be.  That doesn't mean that men's rights are being taken away.  Or that women should only be in the kitchen and not work.

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 5.34.53 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3

Charlie is really hot.

I'm really enjoying Charlie and Sid's friendship.

The actor who plays Sid is the best actor they have.

Even Leighton Meester, who I worship, is not fun to watch on this show.  Her character is so horrible, I wish she was at least funny or something.

Poor Ellen.  It's hard to enjoy comedy if it gets too pathetic.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2

I liked Pathethic Deirdre storyline but not the execution. 

Same with Jesse and Sid fighting. It was something that  was bound (and needed) to happen but felt flat for me. 

This episode made me realize something I really miss from HIMYM: narrator Ted. He put a few things in perspective and there were some really nice reflexive moments about live, friendships, love, jobs etc. He would've said something deeper or meaningful about the characters. 

Ellen...I don't know. I want to like her but it's hard with the material they keep giving her. 

Edited by braziliangirl
  • Like 1

Eden sher!   Loved seeing her pop up.  Hope she comes back.  

Episude overall though was .....mehh...

But I little tidbit I think may come up later.  The first video they shit fir tye websight as she is cutting him off he says I think 'I.....love.....men....'  or something like that. 

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

But I little tidbit I think may come up later.  The first video they shit fir tye websight as she is cutting him off he says I think 'I.....love.....men....'  or something like that. 

I think he said something about cock lol.

I probably laughed more during this episode than the other 2 tbh. The stuff with Ellen was so stupid and cliche but I was rolling.

Sid is really the best actor and character. More Sid!

Oh and I too was happy to see Eden Sher. I couldn't figure out it was her at first.

• LOL 1
8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Eden sher!   Loved seeing her pop up.  Hope she comes back.  

Episude overall though was .....mehh...

It was surreal seeing her and not be Sue Heck...how I missed her.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think he said something about cock lol.

I probably laughed more during this episode than the other 2 tbh. The stuff with Ellen was so stupid and cliche but I was rolling.

Sid is really the best actor and character. More Sid!

Oh and I too was happy to see Eden Sher. I couldn't figure out it was her at first.

They were talking about a myrtle Beach show and she said go cocks like the gamecocks and in between it all as she talks he says 'I love.....cock'.  

14 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

It was surreal seeing her and not be Sue Heck...how I missed her.

What a coincidence.  I started rewatching The Middle a few weeks ago and was wondering what the cast was up to now, if anything, and up pops Sue Sue on this show.

I was more pleased by that than by the show itself, which I'm kind of watching out of curiosity, to see what the females are wearing, and inertia. In that order. Not quite hate-watching yet, but just on this side of the border. 

Watched episode 3 last night and I like that they are really trying to make it an ensemble show and use the whole cast. Plus Charlie's line about how no one in the US wears suits was funny. 

Although the airline miles lady seemed like a Kristen Wiig SNL character (and not a good one).

• Like 1

Oh, I do not like Meredith's bangs.

Does the theme song drive anyone else batty?  It's kind of annoying.

Hilary's Botox/eyebrows/makeup are really overkill.  She can't even make normal expressions.  

I know the actor who plays Oscar, just not sure from where.  Oh, it's Victor Rasuk from the 50 Shades movies.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
On 2/14/2023 at 1:28 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Even Leighton Meester, who I worship, is not fun to watch on this show.  Her character is so horrible, I wish she was at least funny or something.

3 hours ago, shelley1234 said:

I'm both happy and sad to see Meredith go.   Happy because her character was such a selfish horrible partner for Jesse and he deserves better.   Sad because Leighton Meester is the best and I liked having her on my tv.  

Such a horrible waste of Leighton Meester! I hope she finds another sitcom soon. I'm still mourning Single Parents. 

Edited by absnow54
  • Like 7
7 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The bro translation just didn't work.   Seemed lazy. Should have said or done more than that. 

I think it didn't work because Jesse and Sid are not really bro types. I was like "since when they don't talk about their feelings etc?"

I wished we could've seen Jesse breaking up with Meredith. Had the potential to be an emotional scene or something to make us know Jesse more. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, braziliangirl said:

I wished we could've seen Jesse breaking up with Meredith. Had the potential to be an emotional scene or something to make us know Jesse more. 

I feel like the whole Meredith arc was terribly conceived. It's like they were so certain they'd be canceled after a season, they came up with a really lame arc for pumping the brakes on Jesse and Sophie. 

• Like 6
22 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I feel like the whole Meredith arc was terribly conceived. It's like they were so certain they'd be canceled after a season, they came up with a really lame arc for pumping the brakes on Jesse and Sophie. 

Yes it was handled poorly.  

It was like they needed a way to keep Jesse and Sophie apart then new season, now break them up again!

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I still enjoy the show.

I still enjoy too. The show has good ideas but sometimes I miss the emotional tone of other sitcoms I enjoy and that HIMYM had. I think last season had more of that. For example, Val and Sophie discussing about Sophies mom or Sophie and Robin talking about life and love. Even Drew and Sophie talking about career and chasing the pipe dream...or Val and Charlie disagreeing about having children. t doesn't have to be a dramatic moment per se but something a bit more reflexive and conversations that I can imagine people having. 

One of the moments that I liked this season was in the first episode when Jesse and Sid talk about Meredith and Sophie. it was a conversation that I could imagine having with friends or, at least, recognize the conflict/emotions as something real. 

Pathethic Deirdre was a good idea because had some human quality. It could be a great commentary about some type of friendships or how being an adult means different things for different people and people judge that or what do when you feel jealousy,  envy, frustration;  But the execution was so meh. There wasn't a hint that this experience made them think anything about themselves. I miss that. Sometimes narrator Ted did that job but mostly (as far as I can remember) the characters just talked (and the dialogue was so greatly written). 

Jesse and Meredith break up was something that could've had that. 

Edited by braziliangirl

The finale ruined HIMYM too much for me to even be able to really look back on it in a fond manner so I suppose that helps me enjoy this show. I also feel like I probably don't take it as seriously now as I took HIMYM, which is for the best because HIMYM was like emotional torture to me lol.

• Like 2

I did like that Ellen was the one to make Jesse see that Meredith was all about herself instead of about the relationship.

I don't like the whole will they or won't they of Sophie and Jesse....reminds me too much of Ross and Rachel on Friends (who also worked better in their off periods as friends then as a couple...same as Jesse and Sophie).

And Mark C and Constance as Val's parents was perfect casting.  Val has both of their personas so it made sense to me

• Like 2

I didn't like Meredith at all, but I'll miss Leighton Meester. She needs a new show desperately, she was wasted here, she could easily carry a show on her own. 

Pretty good episode, Val's parents were perfectly cast and I like that Ellen was the one who got Jessie to realize that Meredith isn't right for him.

• Like 3

Future Sophie:  And that's when I realized.  To have good sex, Oscar needed his Mom.

Sophie's Son:  I hate it here.

😁😁😁

The interactions between Sophie and her son were my favourite part of the episode and I can't even see him 😁

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2

I love future Sophie's way with words.

The positive of this episode was that Ellen had some actual character development with the reveal that she's a people pleaser..and interacting with the cast unlike most previous episodes. 

So the kid says "He wasn't even in this story!" about how she spent Valentines Day with all the guys who've been on screen so far since the pilot. Crap, they're using the HIMYM play book and none of these guys are "the father". It's somebody we won't see until right before the series ends, he'll turn out to be dead now and her 2nd husband will be Jesse. I was hoping this version would fix what HIMYM did wrong. 

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

So the kid says "He wasn't even in this story!" about how she spent Valentines Day with all the guys who've been on screen so far since the pilot. Crap, they're using the HIMYM play book and none of these guys are "the father". It's somebody we won't see until right before the series ends, he'll turn out to be dead now and her 2nd husband will be Jesse. I was hoping this version would fix what HIMYM did wrong. 

The first thing I thought was that is was a hint that Ian is the father. He was the only one that wasn't in the stories. There's only a brief take of him and Sophie after she says "Just ask your father" (I mean after the stories of the terrible Valentines were finished). 

Really liked this episode. "Haaaave you met Molly?" heh!

Technically Jesse didn't say I love you to Sophie in their first date, right? He was dreaming. 

Also: Sid saying about these kinds of fights that you could only have in your 20s. Yep! I laughed about that. 

Liking Ellen a lot more in these last episodes. 

(edited)
17 minutes ago, braziliangirl said:

The first thing I thought was that is was a hint that Ian is the father.

Well, that goes a long way to explain why we've never seen the kid. We're spending too much time on Sophie and Jesse for him not to be her second husband, though. Or maybe first husband, if Ian & Sophie never got married.

Just now, NeenerNeener said:

stupid edit/merge

Edited by NeenerNeener
8 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Well, that goes a long way to explain why we've never seen the kid. We're spending too much time on Sophie and Jesse for him not to be her second husband, though. Or maybe first husband, if Ian & Sophie never got married.

Even though they spend a lot of time on Sophie and Jesse I don't think they write them as pining for each other or something like that. So there is space for them to be "people who changed each other lives and are really good friends". 

• Like 1

I thought this was a pretty fun episode. My wife enjoyed the flashback to Lizzy McGuire. 

My gut says we haven't even seen the father yet. The show is riding close enough to the HIMYM plotline that it seems unlikely that any of the guys are the dad.  

• Like 1
22 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

My wife enjoyed the flashback to Lizzy McGuire. 

I like the concept that Lizzy is past-Sophie, it opens the door to the Lizzy McGuire reboot that got canned, as her childhood friends can pop up in present day.

On 3/7/2023 at 12:01 PM, braziliangirl said:

The first thing I thought was that is was a hint that Ian is the father. He was the only one that wasn't in the stories. There's only a brief take of him and Sophie after she says "Just ask your father" (I mean after the stories of the terrible Valentines were finished). 

I admit, I was only half paying attention, but although we saw a flash of a date with Ian, was that story actually in the episode? I didn't think it was.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I admit, I was only half paying attention, but although we saw a flash of a date with Ian, was that story actually in the episode? I didn't think it was.

I don't think it was. I understood as a fast forward (a story that is going to happen in the future), That's why I initially thought it was hint about Ian being the father. Because he wasn't in the stories that Sophie told in this episode. Her Valentine date with him is in the future and the son said in a moment "but he isn't even in this story". But who knows? Maybe they'll gonna say that he was refering to the Teddy Bear. lol 

• Useful 1

This one was ok.  Kind of liked it

One thing bugs me.....why did they write sid as having a wife in med school/ residency across the country?  Is it an actress availability?  They could easily have her in residency in the same city and have the same story with him dropping out to run the bar.  

On 3/14/2023 at 8:31 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

One thing bugs me.....why did they write sid as having a wife in med school/ residency across the country?  Is it an actress availability?  They could easily have her in residency in the same city and have the same story with him dropping out to run the bar.  

Because if Sid's wife was in the same city, she would be part of the main friend group and there are already a lot people in the group as is.  Compared to HIMYM, we already have one too many and the same number of friends as on Friends.  Making Sid's Hannah, Sophie's Ian locals, elevating in importance Ellen's Rachel or including Drew, would add another person or persons to the group needing stories and needing to be fleshed out as a character.  When The Big Bang Theory added Amy, Bernadette and then Stuart, they went up to 8 main cast members and left little time to give every character a story.  Having Hannah in New York would make her part of the group, and she is not being treated that way.  Also, having a wife, Sid is out of the dating pool, so he doesn't double Jesse or Charlie in needing to date storylines without Hannah being fully in the story.  

I liked the latest episode.  I like when the group is together better than on individual stories. 

The show is likeable not great/super funny or especially memorable but it's fine.  My main issue is that the show and characters are often very manic.  Mostly I watch because I am a Hilary Duff fan. 

Edited by Bazinga
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

Because if Sid's wife was in the same city, she would be part of the main friend group and there are already a lot people in the group as is.  Compared to HIMYM, we already have one too many and the same number of friends as on Friends.  Adding Sid's Hannah, Sophie's Ian, elevating in importance Ellen's Rachel or including Drew, would add another person or persons to the group needing stories and needing to be fleshed out as a character.  When The Big Bang Theory added Amy, Bernadette and then Stuart, they went up to 8 main cast members and left little time to give every character a story.  Having Hannah in New York would make her part of the group, and she is not being treated that way.  Also, having a wife, Sid is out of the dating pool, so he doesn't double Jesse or Charlie in needing to date storylines without Hannah being fully in the story.  

I liked the latest episode.  I like when the group is together better than on individual stories.  The show is likeable not great/super funny or especially memorable but it's fine.

I guess but if they wanted fewer people to write for again they could do that much easier. Could elimate Ellen for instance and if you want a lesbian/ bi dating element just use Valentina in that way.  

Just seems odd to have his wife almost completely out of the story. Plus you lose the married stories would be a change of pace from all the single dating from everyone else. 

I'm seeing the writers trying to recreate the friend group from HIMYM..but I'd rather the writers write to the strengths of this group instead of trying to fit them into what the previous group was.

Too much Jesse/Sophie will they won't they.  Even Ross and Rachel weren't pushed like this all the time on Friends.

I like the show is finally adding some layers to Ellen.

• Like 1