Type keyword(s) to search

How I Met Your Father - General Discussion

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

people change their minds about whether they want to have kids.  

This was another thing I liked about Robin in the original. She knew she didn't want to be a mom and stuck to that. Again, something that's unusual on tv. Most women who feel that way are made out to be monsters who are eventually pressured into changing their minds.

Yet another thing I hated about HIMYM's finale: I know Ted's kids weren't super young when they sent their dad after Robin but they weren't adults (and even adults need a mom sometimes) so Robin was still going to end up filling the mother role if she said yes. And we weren't given any insight into how she'd feel about that. Was she only against motherhood with babies and teenagers were ok?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I was more excited to see Carl (Karl?) than Robin. 

I was trying to decide if that guy was someone I was supposed to know or not lol.

5 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

The show is making us believe Sid is out as baby daddy because he married Hannah and Charlie is out because he said he didn't want kids.  I don't think either one of those things rules them out.  People get divorced and people change their minds about whether they want to have kids.  

I agree. They're still options imo.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, akg said:

I think he was also excited that his mom's weird side story about the Captain finally made sense.

That line the Captain said in reference to Churchill's three traditions of the British Navy, "We've done two of them, now let's get some rum" was probably one of the filthiest (and well written) jokes I've heard on a sitcom.

• LOL 1

I certainly didn't see Robin showing up coming, Cobie looks amazing. I guess if any of the cast showed up here I am happy it was her, even if the reference to her divorce and her dewy eyes talking about Ted (while he's still married to poor Tracy, his second choice) made me roll my eyes so hard they almost fell out of my head. 

Don't worry Robin, I wasted several several years of my life watching you and your friends talking about your silly love lives too. Its probably why, as much as I have come to enjoy this show, I am not getting too emotionally invested. I've been burned by these people before.

• Love 7

I think I'm missing something (or I'm way overthinking this).  We (the viewers) are supposed to believe that the kid already knows who his father is, right?  (Or even if he doesn't, he could rule in/out some candidates right off the bat based on ethnicity, unless the kid was adopted.)  And we've also been told that she met the father for the first time on that one particular night.  So the only mystery is for us, the viewers, right?  The kid (presumably) knows who his father is, and has now heard the stories of how she met all those men in her life.  So what is he so anxious for his mom to reveal to him?

I guess when I have some time on my hands, I could go back and re-listen to all the mom/son exchanges, but that's not happening anytime soon.  Can anyone tell me what I'm missing/misunderstanding?

• Useful 1
On 3/14/2022 at 10:46 PM, Lethallyfab said:

I hope Miss Smulders got paid a crap-ton of money to swoop into the season finale to try to save this show.

I had read that someone from HIMYM was making a cameo appearance but I was a couple eps behind and thought it was The Captain when I saw him. Robin was a nice surprise and it was good to see her.

I'm a sucker for a high heel, especially spikes, but Sophie's white shoes didn't work with the dress that she was wearing for the gallery event.  They should have been black.

I guess Future Sophie had a copy of her own break-through photograph in her apartment for sentimental reasons?  Interesting choice.  I wonder how much of their own stuff Warhol, Avedon, or Leibovitz displayed in their homes.  Or was that supposed to be like a Blue French Horn call back. 

Speaking of which, I get and appreciate the similarities between the original and this, with the will-they-or-won't-they, did-they-or-didn't-they, is-he-or-isn't-he, and other misdirects.  I think the show's trying hard, but I'm just not feeling it.  Kind of watching out of a combination of curiosity and inertia at this point.  I wouldn't miss it if there wasn't going to be a second season, but I'll probably tune in anyway. 

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 1
On 3/15/2022 at 5:42 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Wait, what?! Did I miss a scene lol?

I gasped when Robin showed up. I think she was a good choice since she was the only character still likable at the end imo.

Overall, I really enjoyed the show and I’m glad it was renewed. I’m a little worried about so many more eps though. I feel like it could go off the rails quickly.

No, Ian was not confirmed as the father. 

On 3/16/2022 at 2:00 AM, Zonk said:

Didn't the producers say they'd reveal who the father was in the seaosn one finale? Liars.

I think with that I might be done. I don't really fancy getting strung along for 9 years only to have everything ruined by a horrible finale again.

I thought they were just saying that the father will definitely be someone we’ve met, but honestly I haven’t been paying any attention to articles about this. 

On 3/17/2022 at 11:11 AM, SoMuchTV said:

I think I'm missing something (or I'm way overthinking this).  We (the viewers) are supposed to believe that the kid already knows who his father is, right?  (Or even if he doesn't, he could rule in/out some candidates right off the bat based on ethnicity, unless the kid was adopted.)  And we've also been told that she met the father for the first time on that one particular night.  So the only mystery is for us, the viewers, right?  The kid (presumably) knows who his father is, and has now heard the stories of how she met all those men in her life.  So what is he so anxious for his mom to reveal to him?

I guess when I have some time on my hands, I could go back and re-listen to all the mom/son exchanges, but that's not happening anytime soon.  Can anyone tell me what I'm missing/misunderstanding?

The only anxiousness I noticed from the son was how the old weird couple fit into the story. I think the son knows exactly who the father is in relation to the story, but he doesn’t know how their relationship played out. 

I still think it’s a dumb premise overall, and I thought that about HIMYM too. It would’ve been just as good of a show (or, better because we never would’ve had any expectations) if it was just a story about a group of friends and their relationships. HIMYM, in it’s prime was really funny, so the “hook” always seemed dumb to me. This show pales in comparison, obviously, but the hook doesn’t bring anything to it at all, imo. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

I'm a sucker for a high heel, especially spikes, but Sophie's white shoes didn't work with the dress that she was wearing for the gallery event.  They should have been black.

I didn't even notice her shoes, I was too distracted by her horrible, horrible top. It that sort of thing in style now? 

9 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Kind of watching out of a combination of curiosity and inertia at this point.  I wouldn't miss it if there wasn't going to be a second season, but I'll probably tune in anyway. 

Me too. I have no idea what day hulu airs new episodes, I just subscribe to this thread and, when there's discussion here, I'll go watch. 

1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

I still think it’s a dumb premise overall, and I thought that about HIMYM too. It would’ve been just as good of a show (or, better because we never would’ve had any expectations) if it was just a story about a group of friends and their relationships. HIMYM, in it’s prime was really funny, so the “hook” always seemed dumb to me. This show pales in comparison, obviously, but the hook doesn’t bring anything to it at all, imo. 

Theoretically, I agree on the stupidity of the premise but, if they'd dropped that, we'd have lost a level of the humor and Bob Saget. So they maybe should have gone with dad boring his kids with tales of his "group of friends and their relationships". 

If I'm remembering correctly, OldTed was changing things enough in his stories to not make things obvious. In that case, I'd have loved at least one episode of what he was actually saying (like the Ghostfacers episodes of Supernatural where we got to see the "real" Sam and Dean).

As much as I love Kim Cattrell, I don't think she's adding as much to the show as Bob did so I'm more aware of how dumb the premise is.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Completely agree.

Before I yell at the kids to get off my lawn, can this curmudgeon complain about the fashion. Does not one woman on this show own a non-cropped shirt. Now I lived through the cropped shirt/highwaisted jeans once before, when I was young and very fit. Looking back at the photos, it looked stupid and disproportionate then. It looks stupid and disproportionate now. It also dates the show (and as someone said, they are THIRTY, not 21, and would have moved past the need to dress absolutely of the minute.)

It has gotten better, but the chemistry isn't there yet and the characters are still ciphers.

• LOL 1
On 3/16/2022 at 12:58 PM, akg said:

Yet another thing I hated about HIMYM's finale: I know Ted's kids weren't super young when they sent their dad after Robin but they weren't adults (and even adults need a mom sometimes) so Robin was still going to end up filling the mother role if she said yes. And we weren't given any insight into how she'd feel about that. Was she only against motherhood with babies and teenagers were ok?

I wonder about this too. And, you know Ted is going to be a super involved father because a.) he's the only parent they've got and b.) he's Ted. 

Coming back to this show, it was great to see Future Robin -- wildly successful, confident (yet still geeking out on being recognized), and seemingly in a very good place in life. Cobie is such a beautiful woman.

I really would have liked to have seen a conversation between Future Robin and Charlie since it seems that he will be going down the same path as her. Like she was back in the day, he too is determined to never be a parent even if it means ending a very good thing with the person he loves. What advice would she give him, since it seems that all these years later in 2022 she's still kind of pining for Ted -- a happily married Ted living his dream life with his wife and kids, at that.

• Love 2

Maybe this would have worked better with an unknown as lead. I think part of me is always acutely aware that Hillary Duff has 3 kids and she has been around so long, it is hard to see her as Sophie. She is either grown up Lizzie McGuire or just Hillary Duff at all times.

• Like 1

I swore I was not going to watch this show because I’m still so bitter about the ending of HIMYM. But I caved, due to my fondness for Chris Lowell. I never watched Veronica Mars, so I don’t have the Piz bias against him and I loved him in GLOW and the gone-too-soon Enlisted.

This show is just OK. I was too old for Lizzie McGuire and didn’t make it past S1 of Younger, so I didn’t have any real feelings about Hillary Duff going in, but she’s definitely got some charm. But I’m not quite sold on the plot point of her being simultaneously someone who has struck out in romance her whole life AND this dream girl that Jesse, Drew, and now Ian are all besotted with  I mean, did Ian come straight off the plane to the gallery? How did he even know where to find her?

Also,

On 3/19/2022 at 11:30 AM, akg said:
On 3/19/2022 at 1:33 AM, Lone Wolf said:

I didn't even notice her shoes, I was too distracted by her horrible, horrible top. It that sort of thing in style now? 

I thought the top was really cute* — so I looked it up and it’s $695!!! Sophie must be doing better than we thought with her photography.

I agree the white pumps were absolutely wrong with that skirt and top, though. 

*And it doesn’t even come with the black shirt underneath. It’s a clear resin “chain mail” and each little medallion/segment has a pressed preserved daisy in it. 

• Love 2

Disney+ in Canada is releasing the episode weekly and my wife and I watched the first 7 (all the ones out so far) over the last two nights. It was good for a light pretty traditional sitcom. There was some good lines and it is easy to watch without paying super close attention. Plus I had no idea that Hillary Duff was actually funny (and hot). 

It didn't grab me the way HIMYM did, but a big part of that I watched that show from season 1 and it was the first show I remember watching as an adult where the characters were in the exact same phase of their life that I was. I was the same age as Ted and working an office job after moving away from home after university. Obviously almost 20 years later this show doesn't line up the same way. But I am curious to see how it will grow on me. I'm also curious if it will start using some of the same gags and other visual trade makers (like flashbacks/nicknames) that the original show did.

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I'm also curious if it will start using some of the same gags and other visual trade makers (like flashbacks/nicknames) that the original show did.

Now that you mention this, I realize I'm really missing the fun HIMYM had with the premise (parent telling a story from the future). I don't really remember HIMYF doing anything really creative with the set up and that was a big selling point for me with the original.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, akg said:

Now that you mention this, I realize I'm really missing the fun HIMYM had with the premise (parent telling a story from the future). I don't really remember HIMYF doing anything really creative with the set up and that was a big selling point for me with the original.

I remember with HIMYM they used so many quick cut-aways, flash backs and visual post-production gags like the hot/crazy scale that they couldn't film it in front of a live studio audience. So the laugh track was basically people watching a screening of the finished episode. So far for this show I haven't seen any reason why they would need to do that.

On 1/21/2022 at 12:47 PM, anthonyd46 said:

Josh Peck is in a lot of this season according to IMDB so we will see what he adds to the show. Ian is also credited with 9 episodes so I assume he still will be a storyline of some sort. 

It did feel that one of the four guys from the pilot had to be the father, but I don't trust these writers after HIMYM, because the narration only said that she met the father that night so they could always pull something down the line that it was some background character or like with Ted he was in the same location as the mother at one point and didn't know it at the time etc. 

I only just started watching this and have only seen the first two episodes. I'm also thinking that the father won't be one of the four guys. I really hope Josh Peck, who met the mum on the same night as the others, isn't the father (I've disliked him ever since Drake and Josh). Also have to add that I didn't recognise him.

• Love 1

A wild NPH appears! 

I caught this early over my morning coffee, it was a fun way to start the day. I got a few good laughs and I really want to know how Sophie apparently starts dating her dad by the end of the year. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

A wild NPH appears! 

I caught this early over my morning coffee, it was a fun way to start the day. I got a few good laughs and I really want to know how Sophie apparently starts dating her dad by the end of the year. 

I didn't want to spoil that for anyone before they watched it

53 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It's still just ok.  I'll watch but the jokes are weak.   

It's not great but it's better than some comedies on network TV.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

I loved the premiere. It’s just so fun and easy to watch.

It is easy to watch I'll give you that. There is nothing I dislike about the show. It's kind of like light reading.  I get the same way about blockbuster.  I watched that whole thing because it was just kind of there and inoffensive. Then it was cancelled and I was like .....ehhh...ow well. 

It's like even the laugh track though...it's a weak soft laugh track. Almost like the writers know the jokes are not that great. 

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I just enjoy watching it personally and I laughed several times. I like the music as well. It all just works for me.

I noticed the music too!  I liked the music last season also.

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It's like even the laugh track though...it's a weak soft laugh track. Almost like the writers know the jokes are not that great. 

I still can't stand the laugh track.  One of the major reasons I'm so shocked this show is so popular.

My hopes that the actors playing Charlie and Ellen would get some acting training between seasons were dashed after seeing this episode. Wow, are they bad. Ellen is written and played rather maniacally. Both of them seem like they think they are on a live stage with their exaggerated movements and line delivery. All of the writing is pretty weak, but I'd rather wake up and watch 25 minutes of this over 25 minutes of news.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

One of the major reasons I'm so shocked this show is so popular.

This show must be a huge success for Hulu. 20 episodes and only releasing 1 a week. It's kind of insane to me that it's that popular.

5 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

I got a kick out of the very tan Josh Peck

Same. I was not a fan of Drew last season but he was very enjoyable in this episode.

On 1/24/2023 at 6:21 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I loved the premiere. It’s just so fun and easy to watch.

That is sort of where I am at. It's not a great show, but it is consistently pretty good which is nice. I also like that they take advantage of the fact that it is a streaming show to get away with a bit more of the content you probably couldn't get away with on a network.

One thing I really liked was they did the quick cut away flash back a few times. Gags like that were always used really well on How I Met Your Mother so it's nice they are starting to use it more here.

On 1/24/2023 at 6:26 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Its like even the laugh track though...it's a weak soft laugh track. Almost like the writers know the jokes are not that great. 

I didn't even notice the laugh track so it can't have been that loud and annoying. Not like the one they used on That 90's show which is super loud and obnoxious.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I didn't even notice the laugh track so it can't have been that loud and annoying. Not like the one they used on That 90's show which is super loud and obnoxious.

Maybe that's because for That 90's Show it's actual human beings sitting in the studio and laughing.

That 90's Show:  Ten episodes were ordered, with the series taking on a multi-cam format like the original.[7] The show was filmed in front of a live studio audience at Sunset Bronson Studios in Los Angeles between February 7 and July 21, 2022.[8]

It's a track for HIMYF.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1

Hmmm. I didn't find Drew funny. I was just too much for me. And very different from how his character was written last season. Too zany for me. And it's only the beginning of season 2. Ross started to be a caricature loser later on. lol

I like Jesse and Sids relationship. Their talk seemed like a conversation that real people would've had. That's what I miss the most comparing to HIMYM. 

Another thing I did like was the scene with Valentina and Charlie "relapsing". Felt very true to life starting the conversation how they were being mature and proud to being friends and then...making out.  It's hard to break-up not because you fell out of love but for inegotiable life goals. 

Ian has potential and I'm betting he's the father or endgame. Chemistry and timing, right? 

I thought this episode was weaker (comparing with the last 3 episodes of season 1). I'm hoping they'll do work/family/old friends storylines considering they got 20 episodes this season. 

Edited by braziliangirl

Jesse is the most unlikable love interest I've seen in a minute. Such a whiny, entitled, Nice Guy, and  his delivery grates. I wish Ian was the regular cast member. I don't want anything nice for Jesse.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • LOL 1

I though episode two was stronger than the first one.  The shrimp to cool the pool is a bit much but still deemed better.  And more classic sort of himym revisions to your initial scenes snd impressions with the burrito reveal and why she didn't text.  

On the other hand....I thought Jesse and his gf were going on tour and he had to give her an answer right away?  Now two episodes later they're still just hanging around.   

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

On the other hand....I thought Jesse and his gf were going on tour and he had to give her an answer right away?  Now two episodes later they're still just hanging around.   

He said in the first ep he was going on tour with her for 3 months. I can't decide if they already went on tour and are back or they haven't gone yet lol.

I kept trying to decide if the pregnant woman was Megan Trainor. She kinda looked like her but not fully. Turns out, it was her. Her face looks pretty different but she's still recognizable, I guess lol.

I didn't like this episode as much as the first one but I still enjoyed it.

• Useful 1
On 1/30/2023 at 5:13 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

Jesse is the most unlikable love interest I've seen in a minute. Such a whiny, entitled, Nice Guy, and  his delivery grates. I wish Ian was the regular cast member. I don't want anything nice for Jesse.

I love Ian, from what little we know of him.

Your post is so funny.

5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I though episode two was stronger than the first one.  The shrimp to cool the pool is a bit much but still deemed better.  And more classic sort of himym revisions to your initial scenes snd impressions with the burrito reveal and why she didn't text.  

Also the vibes of Sid, Jesse, and Leighton Meester just hanging around in that apartment felt so HIMYM.

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I kept trying to decide if the pregnant woman was Megan Trainor. She kinda looked like her but not fully. Turns out, it was her. Her face looks pretty different but she's still recognizable, I guess lol.

OH. MY. GOD. ME. TOO.   i can't believe it was really her! I was split between thinking it's her and AJ Michalka.  

15 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

My husband is usually totally off when it comes to identifying celebrity cameos, but he called this one right away. I was thrown off, because I thought she was much shorter.

This show continues to be watchable, but not great. Sid is the only one who can generate a natural/realistic chemistry with the other characters, so I find myself only liking his storylines. The other characters always feel like they're being slapped together for the sake of the week's plot.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

He said in the first ep he was going on tour with her for 3 months. I can't decide if they already went on tour and are back or they haven't gone yet lol.

I didn't like this episode as much as the first one but I still enjoyed it.

It was a one month tour, and I figured they had gone and come back by the 2nd episode. 

• Useful 1

Liked this one more. 

I don't think the tour already happened. It would be mentioned, right? Maybe she's doing a lot of shows to promote the album and then they'll go on tour. 

Meredith, Sid and Jesse storyline was good. I understood why Sid didn't tell the burrito story though I would've also agree if he did. That's a good sign for me about the writing.

Sophie lying when she's feeling  insecure seems plausible (she did it in her 30th birthday). 

Liking Charlie much more this season. I'm still trying with Ellen. 

Edited by braziliangirl
  • Like 2