Type keyword(s) to search

How I Met Your Father - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, akg said:

In addition to the reasons Sid should have talked to his fiancée that we've already discussed, buying the bar means she has to find a job in NY when she graduates. That may have been the plan all along but, if Sid had continued with med school, there would have been a lot more flexibility in where they ended up. There's even a chance he could be doing his residency closer to her on the west coast and she wouldn't have to fly across the country to spend time with him. 

I'm assuming the reality of what she has to do to see him is setting in, as well as the fact that she does basically have to go back to New York. Say she gets offered an amazing job in Los Angeles or Seattle, and she'll have to turn that down.

I did really like the conversation between Sid and Sophie. 

I'm hoping we start to see the actors filming various flashbacks to their youth because I'm dying to see Chris Lowell in a wig that imitates his 2007 Piz look:

Stosh-Piz-Piznarski.jpg

I remember him cutting that mop off by the time he played the racist hunk in The Help. I don't remember him in anything else between the time Veronica Mars (first) ended and The Help.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1
On 2/18/2022 at 8:42 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I assume he must have bought the bar when they were just dating. Didn't they get engaged in the first ep? This is why I had a bit of a hard time caring too much that he bought a bar without talking to her.

I agree with this because didn't he say that he knew medical school/being a doctor wasn't for him? I don't see anything wrong with him buying a bar and be coming a business owner especially if it's an established business already. Plus, he could always hire a manager to take over the daily business so he can move to LA with his wife. I mean not every owner works at their business whatever it is, store, shop, bar, warehouse etc... Or when the time comes he could sell it and buy/start a business in LA.

I mostly watch this out of boredom I haven't really found any of the characters that likable except for Sophie and Sid and a couple I really don't care for and are bad actors, IMO of course :-)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I agree with this because didn't he say that he knew medical school/being a doctor wasn't for him? I don't see anything wrong with him buying a bar and be coming a business owner especially if it's an established business already. Plus, he could always hire a manager to take over the daily business so he can move to LA with his wife. I mean not every owner works at their business whatever it is, store, shop, bar, warehouse etc... Or when the time comes he could sell it and buy/start a business in LA.

I mostly watch this out of boredom I haven't really found any of the characters that likable except for Sophie and Sid and a couple I really don't care for and are bad actors, IMO of course :-)

If you want a business to be successful, you have to be involved.  

And just selling, or buying, a bar in New York city is much harder than they make it seem on TV. 

This is the type of decisions that you thunk will be fun and cool at first but turn out being incredibly bad Financial screw up. He doesn't know the first thing it seems about running a bar. 

Quitting med school for something else is one thing. Sinking Money into a small business you don't know much about at a young age is a huge step in itself regardless of your prior plan.  

But it's a sitcom so we're supposed to just hand wave all that, I know. 

• Love 1
On 2/19/2022 at 2:40 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I don't remember him in anything else between the time Veronica Mars (first) ended and The Help.

I didn't watch Veronica Mars. The first thing I saw him in was Private Practice.

46 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I didn't watch Veronica Mars. The first thing I saw him in was Private Practice.

Right. I think he cut his hair off by then but I only saw small snippets of the show. Good call because Chris Lowell did not in any way have the right face shape for the Troy Bolton shag haircut. I think his Piz hair was an ill-advised attempt to make him seem younger and it failed miserably.

• Love 1

This cast just does not have the chemistry and the writing is just not as sharp as in HIMYM. It just doesn’t have the “it” factor - all of the characters seem flat and superficially sketched, which shouldn’t be the case after six episodes.

It’s a pleasant 22 minutes but nothing stays with you at the end. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Insert Username said:

This cast just does not have the chemistry and the writing is just not as sharp as in HIMYM. It just doesn’t have the “it” factor - all of the characters seem flat and superficially sketched, which shouldn’t be the case after six episodes.

A good example of it is when they mention that Val mentions that Charlie likes to be in his underwear. There should have been some kind of reaction to this by Ellen, who is sitting right there and lives with Charlie. She probably has seen him in his underwear despite not really wanting to. Friends and How I Met Your Mother totally would have made a joke about that, but yeah, nothing.

I do think there's a decent chemistry between Sophie, Sid, and Jesse. But Ellen and Charlie are definitely the weak spots for me, although I did notice that Ellen's actress seems to be acting more naturally than she did in the first few episodes. 

Also, does anyone else kinda feel like this show seems outdated at times? Like Jesse being humiliated in a viral YouTube videos feels like something that would have happened in 2009 but the current YouTube environment is not like that at all. Then there was the influencers, who were dressed/styled like they were trying to look like 2018 Ariana Grande or the mean socialites in 2018's Crazy Rich Asians. Again, 2018. I don't claim to be up to date on fashion but trendy looks from 2018 don't feel like they'd be trendy in 2022. 

I mean, I get that it's hard to keep up with the current zeitgeist but How I Met Your Mother did it really well.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Insert Username said:

I was thinking this too watching the latest mediocre episode. 

The two male roommates, honestly don't even recall their names, are nothing like Ted and Marshall.  Or barney and either if them.  You watch and think 'how close are they?'  The bird dress up thing was just typical sitcom silliness and not that funny. 

The party they are doing photographs for had lots of potential for hollywood/ industry jokes about the guests, pretty much wasted except for a throw away about Lin Manuel Miranda.  

Seems like lots of missed opportunities in the script. 

• Love 1

I actually thought the pump day story with Jesse, Sid and the birds was pretty close to a Ted and Marshall thing. Good to have the old bathroom featured in another animal related story.

This time round even I thought that Charlie and Ellen sucked. The story was alright and sweet, but their delivery is SO robotic. As was the woman's who hired Sophie for the party. They all sounded like SIlicon Valley's Laurie Bream.
I still don't get Charlie and Valentina's relationship.

Sophie felt very Kelsey again this week. I am no expert in photography, but was that small camera what a professional would bring to an event like that? And as her assistant, Valentina should've had a sizeable bag with additional equipment? Please correct me if I am wrong, but if they go for something like photography as a profession they need to do it properly - like Hank on NBC's Parenthood.
Re the kids thinking they took Valentina's drugs - I hope they have someone eating a giant sandwich in the background in at least one of the next episodes.

• Love 2

Jessie, Sid and the birds were by far the best plot, it seemed like the sort of thing that would have happened on the original show back when it was good. I especially laughed at Jessie screaming in horror at the pigeon "summoning a friend" and when the animal control guy showed up and asked if it was a sex thing. "You would be surprised at how often its a sex thing."

Charlie and Ellen were fine, nothing special but it had some funny lines, it worked just fine. Sophie's story was pretty lame though, it felt very "how do you do fellow kids?" made by writers who know very little about the current influencer scene. I guess because they're the easiest target for cheap "kids today" jokes, writers always go with the same exact kind of internet personality, even if it feels a few years out of date.

• Love 6

I didn't remember Josh Peck from Grandfathered (a show I really need to rewatch along with another gone-to-soon show The Grinder) but he did a season of Turner and Hooch on Disney+ and I really enjoyed him on both that show and this one. I know he is not the one but I am enjoying watching Sophie have her first serious relationship and figuring out what she wants and needs in one. He is a good starter boyfriend for her.

I think we are going to get a swerve and it will end up being Sid that is the father. They are pushing Jesse too hard and we are definitely seeing cracks in Sid's relationship with his fiancée. I could easily see her deciding that her career is more important to her and she is staying in California while Sid is tied to New York because of his bar.

Plus, that scene with him and Sophie in the hallway was adorable and there was an easy chemistry between them. Maybe it is my Piz dislike shining through but I really do not want it to be Jesse - it is too obvious and I want the show to be a little better than that.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

While I understand most of the criticisms here, I still like the show.  I kind of look forward to it every week.  It's not in my top 5 shows this year, but, I don't know.  Maybe top 10.  LOL.

I still like it too.  I think there might have been an expectation of Sophie being the star of the show but like HIMYM this show is an ensemble.  So far I'm not seeing any character capable of breaking out the way Barney/NPH did.  

• Love 3

People really look upon HIMYM fondly but it's really not a perfect show to me!  It was really not diverse, Lily was terrible, a lot of the humour was misogynist, many plots and jokes were ripped off from "Friends".

I agree that NPH is very talented and this cast will not breakout like that.  The writing is also not good enough to support that.  (Unlike many others I am also a Ted/Josh Radnor fan.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

(Unlike many others I am also a Ted/Josh Radnor fan.)

He was actually my favorite character.  I liked Marshall but he could be tiresome.  Lily was just meh for me.  I liked Robin with Ted (the first time) but didn't like her with Barney.  Barney became a caricature for me.  

I look for them to get rid of Sid's girlfriend (she made so little an impression on me I don't remember her name) because if they don't Sid doesn't seem like a viable candidate to be the father.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

While I understand most of the criticisms here, I still like the show.  I kind of look forward to it every week.  It's not in my top 5 shows this year, but, I don't know.  Maybe top 10.  LOL.

Same here. I mean, it's a very easy show to watch.

8 hours ago, cmahorror said:

I didn't remember Josh Peck from Grandfathered (a show I really need to rewatch along with another gone-to-soon show The Grinder)

He was the co-lead, John Stamos' character's son.

45 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

People really look upon HIMYM fondly but it's really not a perfect show to me!  It was really not diverse, Lily was terrible, a lot of the humour was misogynist, many plots and jokes were ripped off from "Friends".

This so much. It really lost any of the mojo it had way before the awful finale.

I also think Sid is looking like the father. I almost think it's a bit too obvious actually. Like, I think the writers think they're being subtle with it but they're not lol.

• Love 4

Was Hannah completely in charge of planning the original wedding (other than Sid's guest list) from across the country? Why would he just assume she would be the one planning a second event in India? That seems like something Sid and his extended family there should take care of. 

The wedding talk between the guys was the only part of that storyline I enjoyed. Every other step was completely predictable and I don't like the characters/actors enough to overlook that.

And back to the bar decision discussion, apparently it is "hemorrhaging money."

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, akg said:

Was Hannah completely in charge of planning the original wedding (other than Sid's guest list) from across the country? Why would he just assume she would be the one planning a second event in India? That seems like something Sid and his extended family there should take care of. 

The wedding talk between the guys was the only part of that storyline I enjoyed. Every other step was completely predictable and I don't like the characters/actors enough to overlook that.

And back to the bar decision discussion, apparently it is "hemorrhaging money."

Yes, shocking the bar is losing money.  Since he has no business experience, inflation is up 7 percent, wages are skyrocketing, hard to find workers, supply chain problems.  Pandemic. Literally the worst time to buy a bar

I know, I know ....it's fictional

• LOL 1

Thinking about that more I feel like it was mentioned in the pilot so I guess they’re just pretending it’s over now, like in real life lol. But also that does make Sid buying a bar a little more of a terrible idea than I thought last ep when his fiancé was mad about it.

I completely forgot Val and Charlie were dating for some reason and was weirdly surprised when they started kissing. 

This is too real-world nitpicky but Drew is going to know who stole that purse (don't yell your partner in crime's name while stealing, Charlie!). Does he just apologize to the auction winner and not take her money?

I'm not excited about the Jesse/Meredith storyline but I did like that Sid and Ellen were so invested in protecting Jesse (even if Ellen had no idea what Sid's emergency code meant). And we got more about Ellen and Jesse's relationship before their (evil) parents split them up. We really need to get more on what happened afterwards though.

• Love 2
(edited)

aw! I like Jesse! And I really liked his chemistry with Sophie (which is unfortunate because I don't think he'll be her endgame). 

I also think the show chose a good song for the kiss. HIMYM was great in creating amazing moments because of the cast chemistry (and timing) but also because of the killer soundtrack.

Edited by braziliangirl
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Liked the ending, never really cared about Drew and that relationship shop.  He was so plain and boring.  

But did they actually break up before she kissed Jesse?  She just said they had a fight. 

And it wasn't even a "Fight".   It was Sophie asking Drew to answer a question honestly and Drew answering that question honestly and that was the end of the scene.  Woman (meaning Sophie) if that's a fight to you you have led a charmed life.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I’m a working artist and so are half my friends. We all have day jobs, related to our art or not across the whole spectrum. And not to be cocky, but we’re pretty great artists. Being “big” isn’t about how good you are, but how lucky. It’s hard to distinguish yourself in such a saturated market, so yeah, there’s a middle ground between giving up all art forever and being Annie Leibovitz. 

Also, if she wants a long term serious relationship, especially with a guy like Drew whose career is locked down, yeah, being able to afford a dental or mechanical emergency isn’t the worst thing ever. I’m just so tired of Hollywood propagating the idea that a partner who asks that you be realistic and look at the big picture is unsupportive and you’ll show them one day how wrong they were to sneer at your dreams. 

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And it wasn't even a "Fight".   It was Sophie asking Drew to answer a question honestly and Drew answering that question honestly and that was the end of the scene.  Woman (meaning Sophie) if that's a fight to you you have led a charmed life.

I assumed there was more said when they met up again later and we just didn’t get to see it.

They got me with the kiss! Jesse is so cute and the song was great.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I assumed there was more said when they met up again later and we just didn’t get to see it.

I don't really get the choice of not showing us the most dramatic part of the conversation.  That would be weird.

• Love 1

Maybe they did it to spare me from another Josh Peck scene lol.

I hope they just let that character die and move on but yea it’ll probably be that they didn’t talk more and so Sophie basically cheated on him and now we’ll have to see him finding out about it.

• LOL 1
On 2/23/2022 at 11:44 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think the father will be someone we haven't even seen yet. 

The whole last season of himym was awful.  Including the finale. 

But lots of shows are guilty of hanging around too long.  It's not the first. 

Don't forget about the perfect guy that left for Australia or whatever it was.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

If Sophie ends up sleeping with Jesse, are we going to have the predictable “Who’s the daddy?” 🙄 We’re already wondering “who”!

I sincerely hope they wouldn't do that this soon in the show and I doubt they would.

I really like Piz.  I didn't even watch Veronica Mars.  I just like that name Piz.  I like Piz and I like the bartender Sid.  It's true that next to them Josh Peck does suck, but especially because of the way he approached Sophie's job.  I find that to be a weird thing to care about with respect to someone you're casually dating.  But I guess there are a hell of a lot of straight women out there obsessed with men's jobs so I guess it makes sense that there would be the reverse.

They've done a good job with establishing chemistry between Jesse and Sophie.  I like the actor who plays Jesse because I really believe he does like Sophie. But then again Sophie and Sid had that nice scene together too.

9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I find that to be a weird thing to care about with respect to someone you're casually dating. 

I guess that's why I don't think Sophie cheated, They are dating, right? Two episodes ago they didn't even had sex yet. I liked the fact that it made things a bit messy, a little conflicted.  

• Love 3

I thought this shows new episodes were tuesdays?  Next one already out

Thought this was probably the best episode. 

No spoilers because not sure how I saw this already but it bugged me it looked like Sid and Valentina looked like they were wearing the same shirt. 

That was probably my fave episode so far. I didn't even hate Drew! 

On 3/3/2022 at 10:17 AM, Jillybean said:

Did I see FutureSophie aka Kim Cattrall wearing a wedding ring in this week's episode? She hasn't in past episodes, has she?

I remembered this so I checked in the ep they put out today (ep 9) and she was wearing rings on both her middle fingers. I might go check the other eps because I am kinda curious now.

I didn't have access to the episode until today. Funny to see the Captain and Boats, Boats, Boats! I never thought Kyle MacLachlan was attractive but he's turned into quite a silver fox. Can't imagine what that has to do with the new gang.

Charlie and Ellen are still such clunkers. The show would work much better without them. The actors aren't good enough to sell the weak material. 

The whole "what do you know?" bit was straight out of Friends when Rachel finds out about Monica and Chandler and has the same conversation with Joey.

This episode was the best one yet. Without the soccer and interview outfit storylines, it would have been solid. 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I didn't have access to the episode until today. Funny to see the Captain and Boats, Boats, Boats! I never thought Kyle MacLachlan was attractive but he's turned into quite a silver fox. Can't imagine what that has to do with the new gang.

Charlie and Ellen are still such clunkers. The show would work much better without them. The actors aren't good enough to sell the weak material. 

The whole "what do you know?" bit was straight out of Friends when Rachel finds out about Monica and Chandler and has the same conversation with Joey.

This episode was the best one yet. Without the soccer and interview outfit storylines, it would have been solid. 

So weird.....wonder why I had access last week?  It was no fluke or mistake they corrected I went back and looked again was like two episodes last week at the same time. 

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

So weird.....wonder why I had access last week?  It was no fluke or mistake they corrected I went back and looked again was like two episodes last week at the same time. 

I looked Friday and it was up. So I thought I will watch it over the weekend.  I looked Sunday and it was gone. Said it would drop today. I watched it this morning.  I do think they might have made a mistake. 

1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

Funny to see the Captain and Boats, Boats, Boats! I never thought Kyle MacLachlan was attractive but he's turned into quite a silver fox. Can't imagine what that has to do with the new gang.

As soon as I saw him I thought hey wait a minute isn't that the Captain. Although for a second I thought his name was Commodore for some reason.  I've always liked Kyle MacLachlan.  Going back to Twin Peaks.  I even liked him on SATC. He was wrong for Charlotte but I still liked him. And by coincidence I am doing a re watch of Desperate Housewives and I just finished season five and while I think Kyle does a good job his character Orson is not so nice