Type keyword(s) to search

How I Met Your Father - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Once again I feel like this show works better when they break the characters up in to small groups. The group scenes just aren’t gelling. I started the episode uninterested but wound up enjoying it. 

Unfortunately it was really lacking in humor. I did laugh at Sid getting excited over cocktails and dropping the keg. So far he and Kim Cattrall are the best part. 

Came here to ask if the Jesse Ellen situation was a fever dream.  The heck?!?!?!   Jesse's mentioned his mom a few times (although, I can't remember exactly what he's said about her) is that his step mom or did they lock Ellen in the basement when he interacted with his mom after the age of nine?  Literally nothing about that makes sense and if this dropped I'm going to notice because... I have questions.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Came here to ask if the Jesse Ellen situation was a fever dream.  The heck?!?!?!   Jesse's mentioned his mom a few times (although, I can't remember exactly what he's said about her) is that his step mom or did they lock Ellen in the basement when he interacted with his mom after the age of nine?  Literally nothing about that makes sense and if this dropped I'm going to notice because... I have questions.

Do you mean that he mentioned his mom in this episode or a previous one? Here he said that Ellen, their mom and their mom’s boyfriend moved to Iowa after they divorced. When he talked about his mom it was before the divorce. I can’t remember if a previous episode contradicted any of that. 

5 minutes ago, Dani said:

Do you mean that he mentioned his mom in this episode or a previous one? Here he said that Ellen, their mom and their mom’s boyfriend moved to Iowa after they divorced. When he talked about his mom it was before the divorce. I can’t remember if a previous episode contradicted any of that. 

I don't remember at all what he said about his mom in the previous episode just that he mentioned her when he was having his photo taken and at the time I didn't think he had a nonexistant relationship with her.   

• Love 1

I feel like it would have made more sense if Jesse and Ellen were step siblings when they were kids, and then their parents broke up and they never saw each other again. The dynamic they set up instead is just too distractingly bizarre for a light hearted sitcom. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I don't remember at all what he said about his mom in the previous episode just that he mentioned her when he was having his photo taken and at the time I didn't think he had a nonexistant relationship with her.   

Okay. That was when I said that his best feature was his adam’s apple so I could be something she said before she left. I didn’t think that the relationship was nonexistent just very distant. Where they saw each other periodically but weren’t close. 

21 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I feel like it would have made more sense if Jesse and Ellen were step siblings when they were kids, and then their parents broke up and they never saw each other again. The dynamic they set up instead is just too distractingly bizarre for a light hearted sitcom. 

It really would have. They probably thought an Asian sister meant she had to be adopted when step or even half siblings makes a lot more sense. 

2 hours ago, Dani said:

Okay. That was when I said that his best feature was his adam’s apple so I could be something she said before she left. I didn’t think that the relationship was nonexistent just very distant. Where they saw each other periodically but weren’t close. 

The Adam's apple develops during puberty so unlikely to be something she said before she left when she was nine.  

• Useful 1
6 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

The Adam's apple develops during puberty so unlikely to be something she said before she left when she was nine.  

Nine is the lower end of the age range when puberty starts in boys. Anyway, him saying that  about his mom doesn’t require that she was a regular part of his life. It sounds like something a parent would say to a kid feeling insecure or out of awkwardness. 

The Ellen and Jesse development kind of explains both of their characters.  She's a fish out of water with attachment issues while he seems to gravitate toward emotionally unavailable women (I'm sure the social media girl that refused his proposal was somewhat like his mom).

I'm gonna stick with the show and I think it's breezy enough, but I'm also holding out hope that it will get re-worked a little bit if there's a second season the way many good sitcoms do. As of right now, I think there is a fatal flaw in that there are just too many people. It just doesn't feel like a cohesive gang to me at all.

Six central characters, barely any of whom were familiar with each other prior to the events of the first episode, two of whom are brand new to NYC and don't really know ANY of the rest of the gang (including Ellen and Jesse, I guess I completely missed the fact that they were totally estranged in previous episodes?), plus now adding Josh Peck into the mix, it just feels like a random assortment of people thrown together without establishing any group chemistry or rapport with each other.

I mentioned this in a previous post, but for all its flaws HIMYM had a great "gang" that felt believable and fun to hang out with for a half hour. Shared history, inside jokes, genuine camaraderie. This show has to divide up its time and storylines among so many people that it's not quite connecting, I can't be sure but it feels like there are main characters who haven't even spoken to each other yet in four episodes!

If I was a fancy network exec giving notes to the showrunners, I would recommend re-focusing the show on Sophie, Valentina, Sid, and Jesse, with Ellen moving back to Iowa and Charlie being relegated to a wacky neighbor.

• Love 1

I guess I like a lot of characters, I don't mind it.  And I always thought it was a little odd that there were 3 men to 2 women on HIMYM.  And Lily sucked, so I really felt like that show could have used more of a female presence.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I guess I like a lot of characters, I don't mind it.  And I always thought it was a little odd that there were 3 men to 2 women on HIMYM.  And Lily sucked, so I really felt like that show could have used more of a female presence.

Yea I do wish they had maybe a season of Tracy with the group to get to know her a little more.

• Love 3

When Drew introduced his sister to Holly he should have said, "Haaaaaave you met Ellen?"

That would have been a nice callback, props to HIMYM, and Easter Egg for those of us who are basically watching to compare.    

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

When Drew introduced his sister to Holly he should have said, "Haaaaaave you met Ellen?"

That would have been a nice callback, props to HIMYM, and Easter Egg for those of us who are basically watching to compare.    

I thought they DID do a variation of that at the bar.  I don't remember the exact one though, but I noticed it.  I'll post here if I rewatch.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I really felt for Sophie, she really wants to root for her mom but she's just such a selfish flake, I'm glad that she met up with her new boyfriend instead of listening to her moms excuses. Dragging your kid around so much just because you want a life full of "fireworks" is a lousy way to be a parent, even if she does really love her. 

I thought this episode was better then the last one, it had a lot more funny lines and situations. The joke about adding "teen step dad" to their Google Doc of possible Nickelodeon shows works on several levels. 

I wonder if this show will end up being a sort of creative opposite of the original. While that one had lots of great instantly iconic highs right out of the gate, it also had some amazingly low lows, including that brain rottingly bad finale. This one could end up being less great but more consistent. Never all that amazing but never all that bad. 

• Love 7

Always good to see Paget Brewster.

The British dude (whose name I can never remember) continues to be cartoon-ish. I would enjoy the show more if his character were eliminated. Ellen really doesn't seem to be gelling with the group either. Wandering across the hall to steal tomatoes from a funeral reception was not at all funny.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Wandering across the hall to steal tomatoes from a funeral reception was not at all funny.

I don't know why she told the granddaughter she was the best friend. She could've just said she was her neighbor and they were friendly if she wanted an in but I guess that didn't matter because they really didn't focus on that lie.

I agree that Charlie comes across as wacky and feels like he is in a totally separate sitcom. Barney was outlandish too but he jelled better with the group. I want more with Sid and even Valentina. I really don't know who they are below the surface.

That being said, I do enjoy this show. It's fluff. It's nostalgia. And it's a good way to spend 30 minutes. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, xander874 said:

That being said, I do enjoy this show. It's fluff. It's nostalgia. And it's a good way to spend 30 minutes. 

I feel the same way. It's nothing great, but it's the perfect thing to watch quickly and relax. I have always liked Hilary Duff, and really like Chris Lowell too. I'll watch as long as it's on, though I'm well aware it won't be winning any Emmys. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, xander874 said:

I don't know why she told the granddaughter she was the best friend. She could've just said she was her neighbor and they were friendly if she wanted an in but I guess that didn't matter because they really didn't focus on that lie.

Once again it feels like a plot ripped from "Friends".  Ross pretended to be close to a woman who was on her deathbed because he wanted Rachel to have a chance at getting the apartment.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Once again it feels like a plot ripped from "Friends".  Ross pretended to be close to a woman who was on her deathbed because he wanted Rachel to have a chance at getting the apartment.

Or Dennis telling a girl he knew her dead grandfather well to try and bang her on its always dunny.  

• Love 1

Or another Friends plot line where Chandler's mother (Morgan Fairchild) kissed Ross, and Joey saw them, and forced Ross to tell Chandler about it.  Chandler's mother was a romance novelist and always inappropriate.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I think the powers that be wanted to recreate the original show...but the characters were obnoxious..and I figured the 'mom' couldn't stand Ted's whining so she willed herself to die to get away from him.

I think Ellen and hot British dude should be written out if there is a second season...and just focus on the 4 other characters.  This would leave more room for other recurring characters.

Kim's Sophie isn't seen much, but what it proves the old saying 'no small parts, only small actors' applies...because Kim infuses a bit of sass, confidence and wistfulness into future Sophie.

And I think Valentina is a good friend and I hope we see an episode focus now on her backstory 

• Love 2

Still waiting for something memorable to happen before the season finale. Its all perfectly nice, and that moment between Sophie and Sid was cute, but they can only get by for so long with the watered-down premise of HIMYM.

The girls Ellen meets or hooks up with are all super cute. And I like the energy between her and Charlie (aka Pub Rachel). Drew is boring.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Aulty said:

Still waiting for something memorable to happen before the season finale. Its all perfectly nice, and that moment between Sophie and Sid was cute, but they can only get by for so long with the watered-down premise of HIMYM.

The girls Ellen meets or hooks up with are all super cute. And I like the energy between her and Charlie (aka Pub Rachel). Drew is boring.

Pretty much how I feel as well. 

It's a perfectly pleasant way to spend 22 minutes but there is nothing spectacular or memorable about it all so far. 

• Love 2
On 2/11/2022 at 12:20 AM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I think Ellen and hot British dude should be written out if there is a second season...and just focus on the 4 other characters.  This would leave more room for other recurring characters.

They won't write out Ellen because she's the show's token queer representation, which I have really mixed feelings about as someone who's both queer AND Asian. I really wish they had cast Awkwafina or something because while it's nice that Ellen is played by an openly queer woman, she doesn't seem to have natural comic timing and it's awkward to watch her try.

Anyway, the Take on this show:

It's a nostalgic and pleasant way to spend 30 minutes. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Love 1

I was really hoping Sophie and Drew would break up in this ep because Drew is unwatchable to me and really bringing the show down.

This was the first time I really noticed Ellen and Charlie being kind of annoyingly ott and bad at acting lol. But I still got some entertainment out of those stories anyway.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

They won't write out Ellen because she's the show's token queer representation, which I have really mixed feelings about as someone who's both queer AND Asian. I really wish they had cast Awkwafina or something because while it's nice that Ellen is played by an openly queer woman, she doesn't seem to have natural comic timing and it's awkward to watch her try.

A

Is there any way Awkwafina would have done it, though? She seems to be having success in films, so a mediocre Hulu show would seem like a few steps down the career ladder. 

16 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I was really hoping Sophie and Drew would break up in this ep because Drew is unwatchable to me and really bringing the show down.

Agreed. I can't recall what I've seen him in before, but he's so derpy. Something about the way he talks bugs me. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

You do not want to go down the hole of social media stalking ex's. "How many times did they get ice cream on boardwalks?" Besides, its easy to make everything look perfect and wonderful online. 

Not a whole lot to say about this one, other then I liked it and had fun watching it. I am not really into Drew that much, nothing really wrong with him but he doesn't feel like a real contender. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

This was the first time I really noticed Ellen and Charlie being kind of annoyingly ott and bad at acting lol. But I still got some entertainment out of those stories anyway.

It is so funny to me how you consistently hate Josh Peck.

I actually liked this episode.  I didn't LOVE it, but I liked it.

• Love 1

I loved the pants Sophie was wearing. 

I can't invest in Drew in any way because we all know he's just roadkill on Sophie's romantic highway. 

I have no idea why I watched this show other than it was something to have on while I'm dealing with ...stuff. The British guy's posture is driving me crazy. He's always standing there delivering his lines as if he's telling his nanny how his school day went. Just dress him in a school uniform with short pants already.

Valentina's "I'm so chill, but really I'm not even remotely chill" personality bugs. She can go any time now. I like lesbian sister much better.

Piz/Jesse will never be forgiven for his role in Veronica Mars. I hated him in VM and he can just go away too. 

Give me Sophie and Sid all day long. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It is so funny to me how you consistently hate Josh Peck.

I think I've only seen him in 3 other things (The Amanda Show, Drake & Josh and Grandfathered) and I liked him. I loved Grandfathered and was really pissed it was cancelled lol. Maybe he was always kinda creepy with a strange voice and I just never noticed it before. The character he's playing is just so horrible as well so that contributes.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

If this is how they're gonna write all of Sophie's non-father love interests then it's going to become very annoying.

Well Ted certainly dated a string of assholes on HIMYM.  My personal least favourite? Stella.  And there was Karen too, but at least that episode was hilarious.

• Love 1

The show was in no way always funny for a full 9 seasons but there is a good point being made here, that this is only Episode 6 or whatever and Sophie's first love interest is a such a fail.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
On 2/16/2022 at 6:14 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I'm not a big fan of Drew's either but I was glad he and Sophie actually talked things through in this episode and didn't split up. Sid and his fiancée should take notes. I really hope he's already explain what he told Sophie in the hallway. It made his decisions much more understandable and we don't know if the fiancée has that context (not that she's wrong. That was a huge choice to make without discussing it with the person you're going to marry).

• Love 5
15 hours ago, akg said:

That was a huge choice to make without discussing it with the person you're going to marry).

I assume he must have bought the bar when they were just dating. Didn't they get engaged in the first ep? This is why I had a bit of a hard time caring too much that he bought a bar without talking to her. But maybe I'm wrong because I'll be honest I don't pay that close of attention lol.

• Useful 1
19 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Didn't they get engaged in the first ep?

Oh, that's right. That helps. But, in her defense, it sounded like they'd talked about their future together and had plans that included each other. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, I can see her being a little put off by it but I don't find it that egregious personally. 

Yeah, if it was his money then it was his money........I don't know enough about it either LOL.  Were they sharing all their finances?

• Love 1

I don't think its about finances. 

It's a major life decision.  You'd think he'd want ro run it by the woman he plans on marrying. 

I can't believe she didn't have that conversation with him about her being upset though right after it happened. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I can't believe she didn't have that conversation with him about her being upset though right after it happened. 

I got the impression they had and she thought she had gotten over it. Then she realized in this episode that it was still bothering her. I'm really hoping they had an actual discussion when Sid went back to their room. 

In addition to the reasons Sid should have talked to his fiancée that we've already discussed, buying the bar means she has to find a job in NY when she graduates. That may have been the plan all along but, if Sid had continued with med school, there would have been a lot more flexibility in where they ended up. There's even a chance he could be doing his residency closer to her on the west coast and she wouldn't have to fly across the country to spend time with him. 

• Love 1