Type keyword(s) to search

How I Met Your Father - General Discussion

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

This annoys me lol. They purposefully showed a shot of the 4 guys when she was voiceover-ing about meeting the father that night so it better be 1 of those 4, dammit!

Yea once I read this I was like did they learn anything?

• Love 3

Like many others the HIMYM finale ruined the entire series for me. Haven't been able to watch a single rerun since. Total travesty. But for some reason I gave HIMYF a chance. Possibly one of the worst pilots I've ever seen. No jokes landed, line delivery was off, lines themselves were awkward, chemistry lacking between every character, it was abnormally awful. I've seen most of these actors in other things, they aren't usually this bad. I'm not sure what happened. Even Kim Cattrall was off her game. So I was very surprised when I really enjoyed the second episode. The characters started to gel and much of the awkwardness in the pilot was gone. The actors seemed to relax and not go so big. Still has many kinks to work out but I'm excited to keep watching and see where it goes. There are so few good, ensemble comedy shows out there now, I really hope this one takes off.

The structure of the original show is there and the title of course, but I see just as much of a Friends influence. Three men, three women living in New York navigating work and relationships. Jesse's self deprecating and even been recently jilted by a long term partner a la Ross and he's rapidly developing a thing for Sophie. Sophie and Valentina are the Rachel and Monica besties and roommates while Ellen is the Phoebe of the trio. Charlie is handsome, not the brightest bulb but a total sweetheart like Joey. Sid is the Chandler providing witty commentary. He has the serious relationship like Marshall with Lily but I don't see it lasting beyond the end of this season. 

Edited by CharethCutestory
  • Love 8
39 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I also just realized that that quote implies they do not yet know who the father will be. I can't decide whether I like that or not lol.

Call me crazy but when you are writing a mystery shouldn't you at the very least know the ending?

I've always thought on HIMYM they were so intent on having that twist at the end of the first episode that they didn't really think  what that would mean long term.  

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Call me crazy but when you are writing a mystery shouldn't you at the very least know the ending?

I'm actually glad that they aren't being rigid with the "endgame" as the characters may evolve in directions where the initial "dad" no longer makes sense. I'll throw out this example until the end of time, but just look at Dawson's Creek. I do hope that once the series ends, they tell us whether they deviated from the originally planned dad.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

In theory, but that’s exactly what went wrong with HIMYM. 

Count me in with the group who hated the HIMYM finale and since then can't rewatch any episodes. The alternate ending lessens the wound a bit, but not enough.

This was fine so far. Not nearly on the level as HIMYM was in its first season though. I'm not sure if I'll be back for a second season, but I think I'll stick it out through this one.

On 1/20/2022 at 6:56 PM, akg said:

A very big bonus to this is that the writers can't paint themselves into a corner with how they think things will end at this point in the process. The last scenes of Ted's kids had been filmed years before to catch the actors at the right age and couldn't really be changed (although I have no idea if tptb would have rewritten the ending if they'd had more flexibility). With HIMYF's format, they can adjust the plan if actor chemistry isn't what they expect or they realize a different father would just make more sense in 5 years.

I mean, they easily could have changed that finale if they had wanted to. Just show the kids from behind when they are talking, have a few old reaction shots, when Ted is talking. It would have been a little clunky, but loads better than the finale we got. Or they could have done what they did with the alternate ending and not shown the kids at all. Anything would have been better than the actual finale.

On 1/21/2022 at 11:47 AM, anthonyd46 said:

It did feel that one of the four guys from the pilot had to be the father, but I don't trust these writers after HIMYM, because the narration only said that she met the father that night so they could always pull something down the line that it was some background character or like with Ted he was in the same location as the mother at one point and didn't know it at the time etc. I think thats just the safe story for now in case this doesn't make it very long so they could have some kind of resolution, but if this show goes on a while I wouldn't be surprised if that changed since they had a plan like that for HIMYM if it didn't make it past season 1.

Who had episode 3 on their betting card, for when they wheel out a new man she met that night? Not me. I thought that would be a move for season 2 at the earliest.

• Love 1

I thought the 3rd episode highlighted some characters' similarity to HIMYM characters.

6 hours ago, Zonk said:

Who had episode 3 on their betting card, for when they wheel out a new man she met that night? Not me. I thought that would be a move for season 2 at the earliest.

Me neither, but to be fair I'd rather have them widen the pool early than using it later just to get a bit more mileage out of the show. At least episode 1 is there for reference.

If anyone is taking bets I'd go for Sid as the father but a curveball in Sophie/Ellen being endgame. There's bound to be some twist in there somewhere and I like Ellen.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 2

I thought episode 3 was much better than the first two. Everyone really clicked in their stories. I kind of want Sid and Valentina to get together now.  And I thought Charlie and Ellen finally showed some personality. 

Something to note, Sophie introduced the episode with the time she helped "a friend" take a profile picture, which could possibly rule out Jesse as "the father."

All of that stuff from the show runner about things being "unexpected" when it comes to who the dad is makes me very nervous. Its that kind of "aren't we clever" insufferable plot twist that killed the original show with its terrible insulting "twist" that invalidated the entire show. I can give them a few "they were there too!" people as possible fathers, but I am not going to be thrilled with one of them is endgame. But then, I guess I'll be happy if we don't end the show finding out that the father dropped dead a week ago and this has all been a long winded way to tell the son he has a new daddy, who is the one she loved all along.

The episode itself was pretty good, I like that they are already mixing pairings up a bit to help the whole cast come together as a friend group. I can definitely see some similarities with this cast the the HIMYM characters, but I like that they aren't all super obvious, they don't really feel like updated carbon copies of the older characters. 

Normally in a mystery show (even if its a romance mystery) its good to always have the answer ready, but where the original show screwed up was that they took so long to get to the ending and had taken so many different turns based around what was working and what wasn't, that by the time we got to the preplanned ending, it no longer made any sense. They spent so much time showing us how Ted and Robin just could not make it work, so much time on building up Robin and Barney as a couple, mainly because they were trying to give fans what they wanted, but then they tried to pretend that none of that had ever happened at the very last minute so that they could still use their stupid terrible already filmed ending. I don't think the ending was ever going to be very good, even without Barney/Robin being a thing or fans falling for the mother or if they hadn't had Robin and Ted break up a million times, but the fact that they strayed so much, dedicating whole episodes to why Ted and Robin don't work as a couple and a whole damn season of Robin and Barney realizing that they can commit to each other, made it feel not only mean spirited, but also really random. Ideally this show has some idea of its endgame but is leaving some wiggle room in case their plans change, which I think is a solid choice for many show runners. Its good to have a plan, but its not always bad to deviate from the plan if something isn't working or you realize that you have a good new thing that you want to really use. 

• Love 9

I think the biggest thing with this show is not really sure how long it could last so I hope if it does end abruptly they at least say who the is the father. With HIMYM the first couple seasons they aren't sure it was going to be renewed, but it was not in danger after a while, but streaming shows are so different there's really no timetable how long they last. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

But then, I guess I'll be happy if we don't end the show finding out that the father dropped dead a week ago and this has all been a long winded way to tell the son he has a new daddy, who is the one she loved all along.

Good God they couldn't be stupid enough to do that again could they?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Zonk said:

The alternate ending lessens the wound a bit, but not enough.

I didn't even know there was an alternate ending! After that finale I just disengaged from the show entirely so I guess I missed it. Do you know if it's online anywhere?

8 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Something to note, Sophie introduced the episode with the time she helped "a friend" take a profile picture, which could possibly rule out Jesse as "the father."

I noticed that, too. But if they wanna do Jesse as the father they can easily explain it by saying he was her 'friend' at that time.

8 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I kind of want Sid and Valentina to get together now. 

Same! 

23 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I didn't even know there was an alternate ending! After that finale I just disengaged from the show entirely so I guess I missed it. Do you know if it's online anywhere?

I didn't either and I'm so happy people mentioned it here. It is definitely better (I found it on youtube). I really liked the mother and preferred Ted and Robin as friends so keeping those relationships instead of switching them up at the last minute would have been the right call.

I do hope the writers have an answer to their mystery now but I also hope they can be flexible if that answer no longer makes sense as we learn more about the characters and see their interactions.

• Love 7

I enjoyed the third episode, though I just don't care for the British dude. For all of us who are squeamish given the HIMYM finale debacle, the co-creators and writers for HIMYF are also writers/showrunners for This Is Us. I have faith that they know the ending already and will work backward depending on how many episodes they are given. 

Edited by Jillybean
36 minutes ago, akg said:

I didn't either and I'm so happy people mentioned it here. It is definitely better (I found it on youtube). I really liked the mother and preferred Ted and Robin as friends so keeping those relationships instead of switching them up at the last minute would have been the right call.

Wow, I had no idea! Thanks for sharing the link. This ending was just a million times better and I bet they wish they had gone with it, regardless of what they say on the record. Their choice of ending has lived in on infamy as one of the worst series finales of all time. 

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I just don't care for the British dude

Oh, I hate him. He's such a cliché. I mean, it's not like any of the characters would ever be mistaken for real non-tv people but he's so over the top and fake.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the third episode. There is just something really endearing about the show. I like how they broke them up into pairs. It particularly humanized Valentina to have her helping Sid in a way that didn’t work when she was with Sophie or Charlie.

They really need to dial back Charlie. It’s only the third episode and he is in serious danger of being one note. Although having him be roommates with Ellen may help since she has a completely different energy. 

21 hours ago, Zonk said:

Me. They really didn’t have a lot of other options. Sid and Charlie are off limits. It’s too soon for anything to happen there without her looking like a horrible person. Ian is off the table until he returns to New York.  Jesse is being set up as the “will they or won’t they” guy they will drag out for at least a season. I’m just surprised they didn’t include part of the scene of her meeting Drew in the pilot. 

7 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Wow, I had no idea! Thanks for sharing the link. This ending was just a million times better and I bet they wish they had gone with it, regardless of what they say on the record. Their choice of ending has lived in on infamy as one of the worst series finales of all time. 

It is so much better. 

Edited by Guest
15 hours ago, Jillybean said:

For all of us who are squeamish given the HIMYM finale debacle, the co-creators and writers for HIMYF are also writers/showrunners for This Is Us. 

Well, that doesn't make me feel better lol. I couldn't make it past the pilot of This Is Us and I usually give a show quite awhile before I bounce.

This reminds me, is the Dan Levy that's an exec producer and wrote episode 3 Schitt's Creek's Dan Levy?

I do like that this third episode mixed up the pairings. Agree that Charlie is a standout and not in a good way. I think eventually he will be toned down a bit but for now he isn't working. I like Hilary Duff, but she comes across as wooden especially in scenes with Jesse, who emotes really well. But, her scene on the subway was pretty good. I doubt VP Drew is the father, but I like Josh Peck, so I'm happy to see him for a while.

And, on a shallow note, hi Sid!!!! 

And on another shallow note, Chris Lowell has beautiful eye lashes.

Edited by xander874
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Jillybean said:

For all of us who are squeamish given the HIMYM finale debacle, the co-creators and writers for HIMYF are also writers/showrunners for This Is Us. I have faith that they know the ending already and will work backward depending on how many episodes they are given. 

I wonder what name brand household appliance will ruin Sophie's life.

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

This reminds me, is the Dan Levy that's an exec producer and wrote episode 3 Schitt's Creek's Dan Levy?

No wonder I thought the show finally clicked with this episode!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Well, that doesn't make me feel better lol. I couldn't make it past the pilot of This Is Us and I usually give a show quite awhile before I bounce.

Be that as it may, it is well-known that they've had the series end game mapped out seasons in advance. So my point was, I have at least some confidence that the ending won't be a total shit show like HIMYM's was. That being said, TIU isn't over yet so who knows how satisfying the ending will be...

Honestly, imo the problem with the HIMYM finale was actually that they did have it planned out and went with it even though it didn’t make sense anymore. 

Streaming shows seem to not last as long as network ones tend to though so I think there is less chance of this show running into similar problems.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Honestly, imo the problem with the HIMYM finale was actually that they did have it planned out and went with it even though it didn’t make sense anymore. 

True but it was more that they only had the end scene mapped out with no clue how they were going to get there and continued just stretching out the concept to keep the show on the air. I quit watching TIU awhile ago but the overall trajectory of the show is much more defined. They are not just flying by the seat of their pants. 

As you said, there is no way this show is getting 9 season and 200+ episodes. There just isn’t as much room in a show with short season to derail as badly as HIMYM did. Starting with a defined ending is a really good indicator under these circumstances. 

Edited by Guest
35 minutes ago, Dani said:

True but it was more that they only had the end scene mapped out with no clue how they were going to get there and continued just stretching out the concept to keep the show on the air. I quit watching TIU awhile ago but the overall trajectory of the show is much more defined. They are not just flying by the seat of their pants. 

As you said, there is no way this show is getting 9 season and 200+ episodes. There just isn’t as much room in a show with short season to derail as badly as HIMYM did. Starting with a defined ending is a really good indicator under these circumstances. 

What was annoying about HIMYM though is that we also had a "defined" ending. We knew that the mother wasn't Robin, the mother had to be in the same location on st Patrick's day to have the incident with the umberella, the mother was a roommate to Cindy, the mother was in the wrong class Ted taught etc.

So after hearing all these things and Robin not being connected to any of those a lot fans wrote off Ted and Robin being endgame, because this person described was obviously not Robin. Well none of that mattered because while Robin wasn't that person they killed that person off to make endgame Robin anyway.

I guess the difference here is they never said it "had" to be one of the four guys and the only thing is the guy has to cross her path that night to be eligible, plus no one was called "Uncle whoever" so it wouldn't be as much bait and switch if it wasn't one of the four guys.

Edited by anthonyd46
  • Love 7

I was disappointed by the home stretch of HIMYM as well BUT I don't come here to re-litigate that mess... I will say I hadn't watched any HIMYM since it ended and just happened to start it up for some background viewing after starting HIMYF and it actually has been a pretty pleasant experience. Better than I expected.

ANYWAY, it's obviously hard to separate the two shows, and I do see some promise in HIMYF, but it's definitely starting off rockier than HIMYM did. Ted, Robin, Marshall, Lily, and Barney were a pretty seamless crew right off the bat. The character of Barney is super cartoonish and wildly outdated yada yada yada but they felt like people who would hang out together, and the characters' shared history shone through in their interactions and inside jokes. They all had great chemistry that made you believe they were old friends (and Robin fit right in when she joined the gang). 

In comparison, I'm having some trouble remembering/caring which HIMYF characters go together, how they know each other, which people knew each other before the first episode, etc. I would like the characters to get a little more room to breathe. It feels like some random people thrown together instead of a believable friend group. Contrary to what some people have said about episode 3, I actually wish they would've waited another episode or two before separating everyone off into pairs. I want to see the group dynamic and see how the characters relate to each other before they're all off in their own storylines. How often did we see the HIMYM crew all sitting together just shooting the breeze over some beers and getting to know the characters through those conversations? Anyway, I do see promise and it's already got the ingredients for a decent comfort food type of sitcom, but it also feels pretty scattered.

So far this is about all I've retained, after having to look up the characters' names again:

Sophie - Hillary Duff
Jesse - Sad sack
Sid - Long distance relationship
Valentina - Midriff shirts
Charlie - Naive rich fancy guy
Ellen - New to NYC I think?

Edited by Cornhusker12
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Dani said:

Starting with a defined ending is a really good indicator under these circumstances. 

Although, they did also say they're open to changing course. Which could be a bad thing or a good thing lol.

2 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

I guess the difference here is they never said it "had" to be one of the four guys ...

To me, they kinda did. After she said she meant the father that night, those 4 guys were shown. So, I find it annoying that the writers are now saying it could be anyone. They should have just left out those shots of the 4 guys.

1 hour ago, Cornhusker12 said:

Yes, as is Charlie. Ellen is also Jesse's sister.

I don't mind Charlie at all, frankly.  I mind Valentina a lot more because she's suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch the typical Instagram woman.  She should be on Euphoria instead.

I agree that Sid is hot.  I like everything about this character and this actor.

I love Hilary Duff's curvaceous body.  I don't know how to say that politely , there is no way to say that politely.  

2094900131_ScreenShot2022-01-26at8_25_07PM.png.0c7d64cbfc1e9e416c3dc2756036e17e.png 2073239904_ScreenShot2022-01-26at8_25_33PM.png.0b42405f75132db1336342dfff6d9d41.png

Valentina on HIMYF versus Maddy on Euphoria

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Cornhusker12 said:

I was disappointed by the home stretch of HIMYM as well BUT I don't come here to re-litigate that mess... I will say I hadn't watched any HIMYM since it ended and just happened to start it up for some background viewing after starting HIMYF and it actually has been a pretty pleasant experience. Better than I expected.

ANYWAY, it's obviously hard to separate the two shows, and I do see some promise in HIMYF, but it's definitely starting off rockier than HIMYM did. Ted, Robin, Marshall, Lily, and Barney were a pretty seamless crew right off the bat. The character of Barney is super cartoonish and wildly outdated yada yada yada but they felt like people who would hang out together, and the characters' shared history shone through in their interactions and inside jokes. They all had great chemistry that made you believe they were old friends (and Robin fit right in when she joined the gang). 

In comparison, I'm having some trouble remembering/caring which HIMYF characters go together, how they know each other, which people knew each other before the first episode, etc. I would like the characters to get a little more room to breathe. It feels like some random people thrown together instead of a believable friend group. Contrary to what some people have said about episode 3, I actually wish they would've waited another episode or two before separating everyone off into pairs. I want to see the group dynamic and see how the characters relate to each other before they're all off in their own storylines. How often did we see the HIMYM crew all sitting together just shooting the breeze over some beers and getting to know the characters through those conversations? Anyway, I do see promise and it's already got the ingredients for a decent comfort food type of sitcom, but it also feels pretty scattered.

So far this is about all I've retained, after having to look up the characters' names again:

Sophie - Hillary Duff
Jesse - Sad sack
Sid - Long distance relationship
Valentina - Midriff shirts
Charlie - Naive rich fancy guy

Ellen and Charlie still seem like super thrown into me and I'm not sure I buy either as part of the "group" long term characters. I know Robin was "new" to the group, but she fit right in theres something about those two that just doesn't mesh with the others. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Although, they did also say they're open to changing course. Which could be a bad thing or a good thing lol.

To me, they kinda did. After she said she meant the father that night, those 4 guys were shown. So, I find it annoying that the writers are now saying it could be anyone. They should have just left out those shots of the 4 guys.

Yes, as is Charlie. Ellen is also Jesse's sister.

Looks like Josh Peck is now the official fifth person since he's in this ad and was there that night.

2 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

Ellen and Charlie still seem like super thrown into me and I'm not sure I buy either as part of the "group" long term characters. I know Robin was "new" to the group, but she fit right in theres something about those two that just doesn't mesh with the others. 

I don't think she fit in at first!   

I like Ellen and Charlie!

• Love 2

Ok fine, show, fine. You win. Lizzie Mcguire, Josh AND Piz (I have issues with Piz but if you ignore all of season 4 VM still has my heart). Fine. Im in.  All of this to say I liked the ep. Fine. Sigh. Im ready to be hurt again.

• Love 9

This is a light vague spoiler for the future: 

Spoiler

Based on a Q&A, it sounds like it is their intention to have us know who the father is by the end of the first season, but to keep mixing up the story with more mysteries as the stories go along.

Pure speculation at this point, but I think if the show does well enough, they'll have a season about how other characters find their person. I could see this for Valentina, for example.

Also, they've teased that there's something that isn't how it appears to be, whatever that means. (Some are theorizing that this means that perhaps she's a surrogate for another character?)

Edited by Azgard12
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Azgard12 said:

This is a light vague spoiler for the future: 

Reveal spoiler

Based on a Q&A, it sounds like it is their intention to have us know who the father is by the end of the first season, but to keep mixing up the story with more mysteries as the stories go along.

Pure speculation at this point, but I think if the show does well enough, they'll have a season about how other characters find their person. I could see this for Valentina, for example.

Also, they've teased that there's something that isn't how it appears to be, whatever that means.

With shows being cancelled without any warning I do think it would be smart to do this.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2022 at 11:29 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Yes, sadly not in good quality. The one @akg linked has lsight audio desync. this one is fine but the overall picture quality is horrible.

• Love 1

I've watched the first two episodes and didn't find the writing very clever. It seemed like generic sitcom writing. As if it could be from any forgettable show. Maybe it's because I'd just come off a rewatch of Community and this show pales in comparison. 

I felt there were several instances of older writers throwing in jargon of how they think Millennials talk. It felt forced.

The actress playing Ellen is not a good actress. 

I probably won't last much longer on this show.

• Love 5

So far I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would. It's nothing I'd rave about and I'm still wary given the ending to HIMYM, but it's watchable. 

They do seem to be pushing Jesse as the most likely candidate, and I wouldn't hate that as he and Sophie have the best chemistry so far. But it also feels like if they're leaning into it so much now, there will probably be some twist. 

• Love 3

I just saw the latest episode.  I guess they're released at midnight?

I liked it.  I was smiling against my will at the whole Josh Peck romance thing.  

I thought the ending with Valentina and Charlie was so silly.  I thought all of those guests outside the door were going to say, "Who cares?  We just wanted to use the bathroom."

It annoys me that they'd rip off a "Friends" plotline so blatantly.  HIMYM did that allllllll the time and it drove me insane.  Why does this "tradition" have to carry on?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Jesse and Ellen's family situation sounds horrible, did their parents seriously Parent Trap them, having them pick a parent as kids and then never saw their other parent or sibling? Their dad was annoyed at Jesse asking about his sister? Their mom let Ellen think her brother didn't want her? Did they hardly ever get to see their other parent? What a pair of assholes those parents are, I hope they show up and they can apologize for being so crappy.

I thought this was pretty cute, all the stuff about how thirty can be so different for different people rings very true for me. None of the writing has really blown me away yet, but the actors are likable and every episode has a few real laughs. Of course, this will easily be the better show compared to the original if they just manage to resist the urge to jerk us all around for several seasons and then deliver us a giant middle finger for a finale...

• Love 5

I thought this was easily the worst ep so far. They need to let Dan Levy write all the eps lol.

16 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I thought the ending with Valentina and Charlie was so silly.  I thought all of those guests outside the door were going to say, "Who cares?  We just wanted to use the bathroom."

I thought that was where it was going, too. It would've been better.

I am not fond of Josh Peck in this. He's always smiling and it's off-putting and borderline creepy to me.

I'm in agreement on the weirdness of Jesse and Ellen's situation.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Jesse and Ellen's family situation sounds horrible, did their parents seriously Parent Trap them, having them pick a parent as kids and then never saw their other parent or sibling? Their dad was annoyed at Jesse asking about his sister? Their mom let Ellen think her brother didn't want her? Did they hardly ever get to see their other parent? What a pair of assholes those parents are, I hope they show up and they can apologize for being so crappy.

I agree on the parents. I really hope the writers don't just forget and drop how messed up this situation is.

• Love 2