Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Azure Dragon

raven
  • Start Topic

With an unexpected passenger aboard the Rocinante, Holden and crew undertake a dangerous mission that could shift the balance of power in the war. Drummer decides to make an uneasy alliance. Filip wrestles with his guilt.

Airdate 2021.12.17

Please keep your discussion to this episode only.  No book talk, thank you!

Have to imagine something will come out of the scenes with the young girl down the line.  Will it simply be a case of showing how one attempt at kindness might cause so much death due to being on a foreign planet and not realizing what can be good for some might harm others?

Bobbie is back on board with the Rocinante!  Not exactly a warm welcome since the crew wasn't thrilled with Chrisjen's sudden "Instead of just blowing up the ship, I want you to break in so we can download the information" change, but it was still fun seeing her interactions with everyone again: especially Amos.  Plus, her reaction to the Clarissa reveal was priceless!  I do hope they have their reference Alex more at some point after everything happened with them last season.  But, hey, they got the job done!  Say what you will about their egos or butting heads: they make for one hell of a team!

Aww, Holden said Clarissa was part of the crew now!  Sure, it was when he was chewing her out for not following chain of command, but that clearly got to her.  Nadine Nicole really sold that moment.

Looks like Drummer might have found a way in by meeting a disgruntled Free Navy guy who isn't a fan of Marco (smart!) and knows a lot about where they keep their supplies....

Chrisjen and Monica are so much fun together!  So many smiles and pleasant exchanges: and probably only about 20% of them are sincere!

Marco continues to talk a big game, but clearly was shaken after finding out Azure Dragon is done for.  Filip continues to be disillusioned  by everything, but it's still hard for me to care.  I can see him being the one to bring down Marco in some way, but I'm still hoping either Drummer or Naomi get the final blow.

• Love 8

Awww Clarissa was practically glowing when Holden called her a member of the crew. She's finally moved from "Amos's plus one" to "actual crew member" after a very bumpy start. At least someone on the Rocinante is having a good day, the mood of the Rocci is so bad that even Bobbie commented on it. Even under the crappy circumstances, I love seeing Bobbie with the crew again, they always make for a great team. Even now, the second they get back together, Marco gets hit with his first major loss. I am glad that most of the cast is together this season so far, everyone was so spread out last season, and while it did give a lot of great scope to the world, it also meant we lost out on the casts chemistry together, which is one of the best things about the show. 

Chrisjen and Monica would be an amazing team, they're scenes together are so much fun. Chrisjen's idea is actually pretty good, Monica is very well respected as a journalist who stays neutral as much as possible (its why it was so important that she broke the news about the conspiracy a few seasons ago) to tell the truth, so people probably would listen more to her about the victims of the terror attacks. I don't know if it would change the minds of any people in Marco's navy, but it could change the minds of his civilian supporters. Its one thing to cheer about striking it to some nebulous oppressors, but its another to cheer at pictures of dying children and regular people. Of course, I am not even really sure how much the average Belter supports Marco so much as they're scared of him.

Looking fabulous as always Chrisjen, I especially liked her outfit when she met with Monica, it seemed a bit more festive then warlike then her other outfits this season, which makes sense as she finally had a win. 

Of course Marco is excited about Earth starting to fight back, it means he can go back to blowing things up instead of actually running his supposed Belter utopia. That being said, he seemed a bit more shaken then he was letting on, and I will take even a second of him losing that smug smirk. I so do not care about Filip and his angst, he participated in mass murder, he betrayed his mom, he murdered his friend, he can whine all he wants but he still did all of those things. I am sure that he will end up being a part of Maco's downfall, but I am hoping that Naomi or Drummer will get the finale blow. Preferably he gets shoved out the airlock for maximum karma. 

• Love 10

Bobbie to Amos - "Don't worry your pretty little head.  That's why I am on board."  😆

I really feel the loss of Alex this episode.  Besides Clarissa, were they all going to board the Azure Dragon?  They didn't trust Clarissa and you need someone with piloting experience on the Rocinante to be on board in case something went sideways.  

It is not suprising that Naomi is experiencing PTSD - especially when it comes to leaping from the air lock into space.  No way could she do that after everything she went through.

• Love 11

This episode I really noticed Holden's weight loss. It's sort of disturbing, very Christian Bale. I'm not sure it was needed. Both he and Naomi are so dark this season. It's understandable, but I hope they lighten a bit before the season ends. Perhaps with Bobbie there, and Clarissa starting to become part of the crew, the mood will lift a little. 

The Strange Dog moves in bizarre and alien ways. It's so well done. They're really stretching out this storyline, aren't they? I'm looking forward to learning the point of it. 

Marco and Filip continue to be obnoxious, but I guess that makes sense. Imagine a show where you're following the exploits of Pol Pot or Idi Amin or Saddam. Imagine how much you'd hate them and want to punch the TV. Villains are going to be hateful. Boringly hateful. 

• Love 9

Does Marcos think it's a good idea to talk about ignoring any authority on Ceres and taking their supplies to his depot in open public spaces? Maybe he doesn't care, but it's a good way to make people turn on you.

Drummer's going to hit Marcos's supply depots. Cool.

• Love 5

We are a third through this season already!!! Nooooooo. I resent the time spent with the little girl on Laconia, it is taking precious time away from Chrisjen and the Roci Crew. Ditto for Marco and Filip. 

"You do quite a guilt trip."

"I practice a lot when I'm alone".

WOW. That was great.

The raid on the Azure Dragon was so tense and so well done!! Poor Naomi with her PTSD. Clarissa is growing on me, and I love seeing Bobbie interact with the Roci Crew.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 12

Filip is a lil bitch. There. I said it. And I hate saying it because real bitches get shit done, and that lil bitch could never. But he a lil bitch.

Loved Holden slipping and calling Clarissa Peaches. And I don't think I appreciated how fast Clarissa is when she juices, because damn she took that guy out fast! Aww, and she's crew now!

My girl Naomi is going to have so many more issues to work through by the time this is all over.

When she was talking to Monica in their last scene, I wonder if Avasarala was thinking about that Belter she had tortured back in season one?

2 hours ago, Melina22 said:

This episode I really noticed Holden's weight loss. It's sort of disturbing, very Christian Bale.

Okay, so I'm not crazy thinking Steven Strait is scarily thin!

Drummer! Let's Go!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Well, that was very good. 

9 hours ago, marinw said:

"You do quite a guilt trip."

"I practice a lot when I'm alone".

WOW. That was great.

Fantastic moment - perfectly sold.

9 hours ago, steelyis said:

When she was talking to Monica in their last scene, I wonder if Avasarala was thinking about that Belter she had tortured back in season one?

I'd say she was with the line about practicing guilt, but you'd never get her to admit it.

As much as I hate TLS Jasai Chase Owens is absolutely nailing the part. In the scene where TLS tried to contact Yohan's family it was clear that after the first botched attempt (again the motive of guilt rising its head) he took a deep breath and then decided to make Dad proud by channelling Dad's asshattery supreme with that little speech. Marco's new second-in-command is pretty loathsome too but she lacks the ferocious fanaticism of Karal.

So the Laconian parents made sure to label tech that little Cara was not supposed to touch, yet let her roam free in an environment that is full of dangers and that she herself can endanger too? I'll never get why moving to a planet with a complete biosphere that might be toxic so that you have to bring along plants and seeds (and contaminate said biosphere) should be superior to the Martian terraforming project.

Loved Bobbie immediately going into soldier mode when Holden pulled rank about Clarissa. And if Clarissa does not know how to respect the chain of command that's also on the Captain (and his second-in-command) who never bothered to teach her the ropes. Amos is a terrific instructor for all things mechanic but certainly not for respecting hierarchy. Naomi needs a good concealer and even better counseling, she's completely off her game. Not just with the PTSD - she's still not on good terms with Amos which is almost painful to see. And I have no idea why she freaked about Avasarala's plan, which was genius although it was dangerous. I also expected Bobbie to get a warmer welcome and so did she.  But warmth seems to have gone from the Rocinante. Well not quite, Clarissa and Amos still have it - the two sociopaths on board. I rest my case.

You could almost see Drummer's brain kicking into gear during her small talk with the Golden Bough captain. I so hope that one day Drummer and Avasarala will meet.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

You could almost see Drummer's brain kicking into gear during her small talk with the Golden Bough captain. I so hope that one day Drummer and Avasarala will meet.

Yes. This. Please.

• Love 10

That was a good episode. 

Drummer laying the groundwork for a Belter resistance to the Free Navy was fascinating to watch. Also, Liang saying "The great Marco...with his pretty eyes and his perfect hair" made me cackle.

The space battles on this show are truly second to none. I marvel at what the VFX folks do.

I did not realize that Avasarala/Monica scenes was a thing I needed but now I want more.

Bobbie teasing Amos is the best thing ever. "Don't you worry your pretty little head. That's why I'm here." Haha.

Naomi is going through it. I want to give her a hug and my therapists' number.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

Unless it's CGI? I seem to remember someone saying the actor lost weight. 

Yeah but its not just the weight Steven Strait has aged visibly. I almost wonder if he is ill and that has something to with the shorter season. The Rocinate can survive without Alex but The Expanse just doesn't work without James Holden self appointed saviour of the universe.

I can't wait for Drummer to start taking down Marco's supply depots. She has just been itching to fight back since day one I can't wait to see her get her chance. 

Monica is going to end up back on the Roci at some point right? because her vs Avasarala is fun but the Roci could do with her lightness.

Bobby is where she belongs I just hope they all realize it soon.

• Love 4

Steven Strait looked very gaunt.  His jumpsuit and tee-shirt were hanging off him, and his beard looks really patchy.  I kind of wonder if the actor is doing this to both show the stress of the current situation and to hint at maybe the character's massive radiation dose back on Eros is coming back to haunt him.

I was really hoping Marco would space Filip, though second-in-command's suggestion of making him swim in shit for a few hours sounded good too.  Especially if they forgot to give him any breathable air.  

Marco's out and hair continue to look ludicrous, but I really dislike the eyeliner.  How could anyone mistake him for a charismatic leader?  

2 hours ago, marinw said:

I resent the time spent with the little girl on Laconia, it is taking precious time away from Chrisjen and the Roci Crew. Ditto for Marco and Filip. 

Same here.  Until the Azure Dragon assault, I was getting the impression that this episode was another move-the-chess-pieces setup like Ep 1.  It was giving me Game of Thrones S8 conniptions.  I'm still concerned they'll try to wrap up too much shit in the remaining 4 episodes.  I mean, kill Marco and Filip but leave some of the other stuff open for the inevitable Expanse:  The Motion Picture that Amazon will put out in a couple of years.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Emily Thrace said:

Yeah but its not just the weight Steven Strait has aged visibly. I almost wonder if he is ill and that has something to with the shorter season.

Oh dear. That thought did occur to me. I truly hope this isn't the case. 

• Love 2

Perhaps Bobbie will convince Chrisjen to grant Clarrisa a pardon.

One of the great joys of The Expanse is psychoanalyzeing Amos. Yet of the poor Roci Crew, Amos seems to be holding it together the most, that being a very realative term. Mentoring Clarissa and the resulting (platonic?) friendship has given him a sense of purpose.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, MissLucas said:

As much as I hate TLS Jasai Chase Owens is absolutely nailing the part.

I have to agree; he is really good.  You can see Filip wavering between true regret and teen stubbornness.   I also have to give some props to Keon Alexander, who has a pretty thankless role.  You can also see Marco feeling *something* for his son but then reverts back to "me, me, me" - Filip HAS to do better!  I need him! It's Naomi's fault!  Shut up, Marco.

Loved watching Drummer planning on the fly as she was talking to the Golden Bough captain.   Marco believes his vision to be broad but it is really very narrow - he only sees what directly affects himself and to a lesser extent his crew.   The farther from his sphere of influence, the clearer his BS becomes.

I'm sort of neutral on Clarissa at this point but if she (and Bobbie) are the impetus to bringing the Roci crew back together than I'm all for it.

Avasarala and Monica scenes are pure gold.

Regarding Laconia, that kid seems old enough to know better.  I caught the parents saying that the soldiers ordered the adults to be at the meeting, which is fairly ominous.  I also noticed that Cara dismissed her younger brother the same way her parents dismissed her "pat on the head, this isn't for you, etc".   These scenes have a point but 1) I'd rather spend time with the Roci crew, Drummer and Avasarala and 2) I don't think there's enough time to flesh them out.

Overall a compelling episode.

• Love 8

Well, the ladies sure kicked ass this episode.  Bobbi, Drummer, Avasarala… how will I live without them?

So. If Clarissa can be rehabbed after her crimes, can’t Filip?  They both killed/tried to kill populations to get daddy’s approval.  Both were very young when they were brainwashed.  Both are feeling a boatload of guilt.

I’m not sure the Cara and the strange dog story is adding anything to the show. With so few episodes shouldn’t they focus on wrapping up what was already begun last season?  Besides, I hate dumb kid characters who do dumb things.  

• Love 10

Capture of the Azure Dragon was a real coup for the Inners. It allows them to avoid all the (apparently) hundreds of rocks Marco plans to use against them.

But wouldn't the capture also allow them to re-target those rocks? If not the ones already underway, at least the large number that are still waiting to be deployed? 

1 hour ago, raven said:

Regarding Laconia, that kid seems old enough to know better.

I was just wondering: How old is she supposed to be? Two?

Edited by Netfoot
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, MissLucas said:

This is the team up that I never knew I needed. They would be unstoppable working together, the intensity of their stares alone could bring down Marco. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Capture of the Azure Dragon was a real coup for the Inners. It allows them to avoid all the (apparently) hundreds of rocks Marco plans to use against them.

But wouldn't the capture also allow them to re-target those rocks? If not the ones already underway, at least the large number that are still waiting to be deployed? 

What I didn't get was how Marco could spin this into something good for the belt, which he seemed to suggest. Perhaps that was just baseless bravado or a psychotic yearning for further bloodlust, but I couldn't see how this helps the belt in any way. Some amount mitigation seems conceivable - as in the re-targeting - but I'd imagine that's an immense, and maybe even impossible, undertaking, at least for the majority of the very many rocks. That the loss and capture of the Azure Dragon has caused significant damage to the belt's position seems confirmed by Avasarala's buoyant, good mood. She knows this is a sea change. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ahpny said:

Some amount mitigation seems conceivable - as in the re-targeting - but I'd imagine that's an immense, and maybe even impossible, undertaking, at least for the majority of the very many rocks.

The belt has an essentially unlimited number of rocks. Not so, kick-motors. Wasn't there something last episode about cannibalizing ships to provide propulsion units for the rocks?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

This is the team up that I never knew I needed. They would be unstoppable working together, the intensity of their stares alone could bring down Marco. 

Drummer is a natural leader. I could see her heading up some sort of Belter Government if they ever get rid of Marco.

4 hours ago, raven said:

Marco believes his vision to be broad but it is really very narrow - he only sees what directly affects himself and to a lesser extent his crew.   The farther from his sphere of influence, the clearer his BS becomes.

I keep thinking of Praxis Chen from seasons two and three. A guy like that would have NO interest in Marco's "vision". Hope Chen and his daughter made it through the rings and are living peacefull-ish lives on a planet somewhere.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ahpny said:

What I didn't get was how Marco could spin this into something good for the belt, which he seemed to suggest. Perhaps that was just baseless bravado or a psychotic yearning for further bloodlust, but I couldn't see how this helps the belt in any way.

Marco's less interested in helping the Belt than helping himself. As Liang "I intimidate him...sexually" Walker said, Marco got lucky and now the Belt thinks he's a genius. Marco believes it too. So I'm not surprised he's spinning the loss of the Azure Dragon as an opportunity. He's always been good at making whatever setbacks he encounters seem like that was his plan all along. And when he can't, he just finds someone else to blame.

• Love 6

OVERALL

Whoo hoo!  Bobbi Draper (and her bad-ass Martian Marine power armor) is IN DA HOUSE!   Don’t get me wrong . . . I love the crew of the Roci.  LOVE them.  But Bobbi Draper is my spirit animal.

THE GOOD

You have to love Avasarala’s style.  She makes sure that the Roci gets all the supplies it needs and THEN – while the ship is still locked to the supply station – sends Bobbi aboard.  

Bobbi telling Amos “Don’t you worry your pretty little head.  That’s what I’m here for.” when he questions the wisdom of trying to board and capture the Azure Dragon (rather than just blowing it up) . . . well, that was a moment.  (I speculate that those two are going to knock boots before this season is over.  Either that, or they are going to come to blows.  Possibly both.)

Amos’ introduction of Clarissa to Bobby was . . . just classic. 

“If they try to move past us, kill them all.”  Whoa.  Do not fuck around with Camina Drummer.

The whole conversation between Marco and his second-in-command about Filip was amazing.  Loved the writing.  Loved the performance.

“Ooooh the great Marco! With his pretty eyes and his perfect hair!”  That line made me laugh.  That character was speaking for all of us, I think.

Oh I also loved Drummer’s talk to the other captain about being sick of taking scraps from Marco’s table and wanting to be a “true pirate” again.  If someone is going to take Marco out this season I hope it is Drummer.

I’m not gonna lie.  I laughed when Holden yelled “Everyone brace” before he accelerated and only Bobbi reacted fast enough to actually do so.  Have I mentioned how much I love Bobbi?  And then she ORDERS Holden not to scrap the mission when that’s his inclination.  And THEN – while everyone else is pinned to the floor due to the G-force of their acceleration – she just calmly continues her task.  I mean, I know it’s the power-armor that allows her to do so but . . . damn that was impressive.

Holy shit the CGI of the space battle that follows was AWESOME.  This show does such a good job of visual story-telling.

Naomi being unable to fulfill her part in the plan due to a PTSD-induced panic attack rang true given what she went through in the prior season, and it opens the door for some serious questions.  How do you live and work in space if you are afraid of space?

At first I scoffed at Clarissa’s being dressed for space and able to step in and replace Naomi on the mission, but then I remembered that all the way back in season 1 we saw that everyone on board the Roci suits up in a space suit when they are going into battle.  But THEN I recollected that when Naomi went to the Bridge to walk Clarissa through the steps of breaking in to the other ship, she took her helmet off.  Okay, I’ll fan-wank that since the firefight was over it was safe for her to do so (but really it was so we could more clearly see the anguish on her face.)

Monica was right (for once) when she said to Avasarala “You give a really good guilt trip.”  I don’t like Monica.  I love Avasarala.  So I wasn’t best pleased when Avasarala invited Monica to her cabin for a chat. But if Avasarala has found a use for Monica then (sigh) so be it. 

I had to laugh (again) when Holden gives Amos the hint to go away so that he can talk to Clarissa privately in the med bay and Amos completely ignores the hint.  The discipline on this ship is SERIOUSLY lacking.  It’s practically their defining characteristic.  

THE BAD

Ugh!  Is every episode going to start with the exploits of the clichéd little-kid-with-poor-judgement-who-gets-involved-with-an-innocent-looking-(but-probably-deadly)-critter?   Oh and for bonus points this kid immediately disobeys the verbal instructions from her parents (as well as the written “hands off” sign in the drawer) as soon as they walk out the door.  And how exactly was filming the now-motherless baby birds supposed to help?  Ugh!  (All that being said – the critter eating the dead bird while the girl wasn’t looking is loaded with portent.  Anyone who has ever been to a National Park knows that nothing good can come from feeding the wildlife – even by accident.)

Ugh!  When Emo-Eyeliner-Mussolini (a.k.a Marco) handed Filip’s gun back to him seconds after getting him released from the brig I KNEW there would be no consequences to Filip (that little shit) for his fit-of-pique murder of his friend.  Oh how I hate both of those characters.  Can they please kill each other in a friendly-fire accident?  PLEASE??? (A gun-cleaning accident that blows one or both of their heads off would also suffice.  Or a catastrophic decompression of the toilet compartment while one of them is in mid-poop.  Really, the possibilities are endless.)

Oh and can we PLEASE come up with a side-effect for Clarissa’s ultra-violence implant OTHER than her puking.  In her helmet.  In zero G.  Ugh!

THE UGLY

I complain above about the lack of consequences to Filip for killing his friend but in fairness, that little “talk” Marco gave Filip after his release – the one where he makes clear what a low opinion he has of his son – that WAS something.  And it was ugly.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

And how exactly was filming the now-motherless baby birds supposed to help? 

She was using the drone to put the babies back in the nest.  But, yeah, not helpful when the mother is dead. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I get that we have an "Epstein drive" now, but Bobbi made it from Luna to wherever the Roci was refueling (out in the Belt somewhere?) in what, a short afternoon jaunt? I try to avoid thinking about things like this....

I don't like the Strange Dogs plot at the beginning of the episodes - we are on a planet that has flora and likely fauna that are poisonous to humans (I gather than the food humans grow is hydroponic? Not going to be able to grow crops out in free air/soil) and we just let a, what, 10 yr old wander around, unsupervised? We clearly don't have a handle on the native flora and fauna - how do they know the "predator niche" isn't filled? Or is that what the large lizardy-dog things are? It didn't attack outright, so maybe not. The least busy parents could do is have communal creche or day care.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ahpny said:

What I didn't get was how Marco could spin this into something good for the belt, which he seemed to suggest. Perhaps that was just baseless bravado or a psychotic yearning for further bloodlust, but I couldn't see how this helps the belt in any way.

I assume Marco's "logic" is that weakening the Earth -- which is one of the two super-powers in the solar system (Mars being the other) -- creates a power vacuum and he believes (or at least claims) that the Belt can take advantage of that situation to gain power.  He's tapping into long-standing Belter resentments and at least some people will buy into it.  

Marco is also a a big enough egomaniac that he's probably confident that once HE is in charge he'll figure out -- as a benevolent dictator -- how to make everything run smoothly and equitably (with some people being more equal that others, naturally.)

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

I'm enjoying getting glimpses of settler life on Laconia. Based on what Cara's parents were talking about, it sounds like the rogue Martian military officers are taking over the running of the settlement and marginalizing everyone else - e.g., scientists like them. There was also a mention of "what's being built in orbit," which must refer to the orbital shipyard shown at the very end of last season.

Fun fact: the kids who play Cara and Xan (her little brother) are real-life twins.

One other thing I liked about Drummer's talk with Liang was him saying that he threw in with Marco because he got caught up in the thrill of (finally) retaliating against the inners. Now it's back to the reality of having Marco as the self-proclaimed leader of the Belt, and I'm guessing Liang isn't the only one having buyer's remorse.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, marinw said:

Rewatching whe fast forwarding through Laconia and the Marco's and Filip show. The music during the Azure Dragon sequence is really effective.

I do the same thing on rewatch!😄

• LOL 1
18 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Marco's less interested in helping the Belt than helping himself. As Liang "I intimidate him...sexually" Walker said, Marco got lucky and now the Belt thinks he's a genius. 

Exactly!  Marco is a ideological revolutionary.  As shown with the administrator of Ceres, he has no aptitude or concern for governing.  He's glad that the fleets will be attacking now since fighting is the only thing he knows how to do.  

He thinks he's Napoleon, but he's really... who, Napoleon III?  Trotsky?

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, mac123x said:

"I intimidate him...sexually"

One of my favourite lines from the episode. The delivery was perfect. I continue to be impressed by the great care The Expanse takes in casting minor roles. It remind of 24 in that way.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 5

Upon rewatching the show I see some stuff emerging from different scenes that are going to converge I think:

- Last season when Drummers ships met with Marco Inaros, food supply concerns were mentioned and ManBun admitted there would be some lean years ahead. 

- last weeks premiere episode show ManBun dismissing the damn supply spreadsheets, so those concerns voiced earlier are starting to manifest themselves. Not to mention Manbun is using extra water rations on his hair care regime....

- now Drummer finds out that Marcos has been building supply caches in the Belt, likely diverting supplies away from hungry civilians. And Manbun is apparently sending them to Medina. Perhaps the Martians who went thru the ring gate are demanding more food since Laconia is incompatible for growing food ?

- if Drummer and her emerging breakaway faction start raiding those caches, it will either expose Manbun's hoarding, and/or he'll have to divert more ships to hunt down the dissidents - ships he can't spare now that his rock throwing operation's shut down has freed up the UN ships to come after him. As it is, he's using ships like Golden Bough that are of borderline loyalty at best. 

Can't wait to see how this plays out. 

As much as a I miss Ashford, Liang Walkers character has already made a strong impression. 

I finally figured out how to watch the bonus content - WTF did Amazon have to bury it ? ( When you’ve watched each episode, you can go into “X-Ray” on Amazon Prime Video. This is available via all formats of watching Amazon Prime Video. You’ll then be able to go to Bonus Content. ) . The Avasarala one was OK but this episode with the crew of the TYNAN was better. 

Edited by Msample
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Msample said:

I finally figured out how to watch the bonus content - WTF did Amazon have to bury it ? ( When you’ve watched each episode, you can go into “X-Ray” on Amazon Prime Video.

I'm just repeating this to call attention to it.  (It took me FOREVER yesterday to hack my way into the extra content.  And then -- because I failed to write down how I did it -- I promptly forgot how I did it for the first episode and had to re-hack my way in to find the extra content for the second episode.)  

I agree that it's really weird how Amazon decided to hide these goodies.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Not only is it weird how they buried it, but I am not sure why they didn't just embed it into the episode itself. The bonus stuff is only 5 mins or so, and the eps are like 45 mins. WHEEL OF TIME eps are running close to an hour long. And with this final season of THE EXPANSE being only 6 episodes I'd think making each ep a little longer would lessen the sting a bit of a shorter season. From what I can see, its not like they skimped on the production quality of the bonus stuff either. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mac123x said:

Exactly!  Marco is a ideological revolutionary.  As shown with the administrator of Ceres, he has no aptitude or concern for governing.  He's glad that the fleets will be attacking now since fighting is the only thing he knows how to do.  

He thinks he's Napoleon, but he's really... who, Napoleon III?  Trotsky?

I vaguely remember a phrase about it's easy to be a revolutionary against the government, but much harder to be the government, because instead of fighting the system, you have to worry about stuff like who will pick up the garbage.

We're seeing that play out with Inaros showing little interest in the petty issues of managing resources for the people. He'd much rather "fight for his people" and receive adulation for it than actually work for his his people. I'm hoping we end up with the civilians who are more the "average Belter" have their own mini-revolt against him once they find out he's hording supplies. Plus he's the mastermind who's continuing to punch Earth while it's down, which is also a source of food and other supplies.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Msample said:

I finally figured out how to watch the bonus content - WTF did Amazon have to bury it ? ( When you’ve watched each episode, you can go into “X-Ray” on Amazon Prime Video. This is available via all formats of watching Amazon Prime Video. You’ll then be able to go to Bonus Content. ) . The Avasarala one was OK but this episode with the crew of the TYNAN was better. 

THANK YOU!! I was able to watch this on my laptop if not my TV. For me personally, I found the Avasarala one the most moving:

Spoiler

I actually cried when she asked her grandaughter to make her a salad! For some reason I found that such a moving gut punch. And what is up with her medical situation? Christen is as exhausted as everybody else but won't allow anyone to see it.

Hope we get a Roci X-Ray next episode.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2
On 12/17/2021 at 1:51 PM, Melina22 said:

Marco and Filip continue to be obnoxious, but I guess that makes sense. Imagine a show where you're following the exploits of Pol Pot or Idi Amin or Saddam. Imagine how much you'd hate them and want to punch the TV. Villains are going to be hateful. Boringly hateful. 

Hateful, sure.  But boring?  No, a well-written villain is about as great a character as you can find.  Ramsay Bolton was a psychotic masterpiece on GoT.  And of course there was the deliciously evil Cersei Lannister.  Gus Fring was easily the most fascinating character to watch on Breaking Bad and chewed up every scene he was in with his quiet menace.  There have been "evil is fun" characters like Lucifer, Crowley, and Rowena on Supernatural.  Or Riddler and Penguin on Gotham.  Al Swearengen was so entertainingly loathsome on Deadwood I root for him whenever he's on the screen.  But sometimes you get bad villains like Negan on Walking Dead, or Marco and Phillip.  You don't just hate what they're doing, you don't want to watch them.  Mostly it's because of the writing, and sometimes the acting (like in Marco's case).

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Dobian said:

No, a well-written villain is about as great a character as you can find.

See also: Hannibal Lector. Both Anthony Hopkins and Mads Mikkelson made this character charismatic and compelling. In the case of the Expanse, Jean-Pier Mao was an  interesting villian, as was Sadavir Errinwrigh.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, marinw said:

Question: can anyone explain why Drummer's crew wears those harness things all the time?

I was pondering that question, too. Harnesses are a popular fashion accessory on The Expanse. I suppose it could be for clipping on to a safety line in zero gravity, but that is what the mag boots are for (one of my favorite The Expanse visual and audio effects). The harness looks too bulky to fit under one of the vacuum suits, and then the tether would be on the suit, anyway.

Which forces me to conclude - because it looks cool and someone in costuming thinks it makes them all look more pilot-like.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

The harnesses also support tools, lights, sidearms ,and oxygen tanks for use when the crew go on salvage ops or ship repairs. On larger ships they have dedicated repair techs ( like Clarissa when she was on the UN ship ). But on the small belter ships, everyone pitches in. 

Edited by Msample
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 12/19/2021 at 7:11 AM, marinw said:

One of my favourite lines from the episode. The delivery was perfect. I continue to be impressed by the great care The Expanse takes in casting minor roles. It remind of 24 in that way.

On 12/19/2021 at 9:16 AM, Msample said:

As much as a I miss Ashford, Liang Walkers character has already made a strong impression. 

I laughed so hard at "I intimidate him...sexually." And the reaction of Drummer and her crew was also hilarious. I had to rewatch that bit multiple times. Give about 85% of Marco/Filip screentime to Walker and every episode would be immediately better.

I'm intrigued by the prospect of not only Avasarala and the Roci crew (with Bobbie!) working against Marco, but also simultaneously Drummer and a band of disaffected Golden Bough ships who can't stand Marco and his pretty eyes and perfect hair.

• Love 5
On 12/17/2021 at 8:17 PM, MissLucas said:

Marco's new second-in-command is pretty loathsome too but she lacks the ferocious fanaticism of Karal.

This. I remember Karal saying ‘We must feed and protect the Belt” vs this one’s ‘You owe these people nothing’. TLS also noticed that. Still love the character; she’s Marco’s Drummer. 

• Love 1