Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E09: MAXPRO Fitness; Banana Loca; Liberate Meditation; Tenikle Tripod

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

First into the Tank is an entrepreneur from Rochester, Michigan, who introduces his innovative fitness system with on-the-go simplicity that will help you stick with your workouts. Entrepreneurs from Basking Ridge, New Jersey, and Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, make snack time fun with their ap-peeling kitchen gadget; while an entrepreneur from Santa Monica, California, presents her online self-care program for a different type of workout. An entrepreneur from Dana Point, California, pitches his sea creature-inspired all-in-one product for hands-free device holding. (TV-PG)

In a Shark Tank update, entrepreneurs Jumoke Jackson, Duane Myko and Danita Claytor from Brooklyn, New York, update their investor Mark Cuban about Legendary Burgers, the organic plant-based burger and how they're currently living up to their name.

The Sharks in this episode are Mark Cuban, Daymond John, Kevin O'Leary, Lori Greiner and Robert Herjavec.

1. Max Pro-a portable fitness machine.  It looks very useful.     Makes the deal with Mark. 

2.  Banana Loca-cores a banana-It lets you core a banana while still in the peel, and use another part of the device to stuff it with hazelnut spread or other things.   You can also stuff donuts, cucumbers, cupcakes, etc.  Kevin and Mark for 25% and a royalty until they're paid back.  Kevin and Mark make the deal. (Lori goofed, this would have been great on QVC). 

3.-Liberate-Self care workout-a mental fitness program, with journaling, and other stuff.  They're online leader led, Zoom classes.  (On a personal note, her voice is getting on my last nerve).   Mark is talking about her undervaluing her company.   No deal. 

4. Tenikle Tripod-device holder inspired by the octopus.   It's a flexible device with suction cups that can be used for a lot of devices.   Bendable suction holder. The seller only has $39 in the bank.   Robert wants 60%, and Hans (the seller) has to hire a manager.  Hans sold the house, and he lives in an RV on his mom's property.  Daymond makes a much better offer.  The seller, Hans, tells Robert he's out, and Hans makes the deal with Daymond.  THis is on Amazon for $45, but it has good reviews (at least in this version, after the suction cup issue was fixed). 

Update on plant based food company "Everything Legendary", with Mark.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 8

Liberate lady was so desperate you could practically see it wafting off her.

Max Pro - crazy high valuation that for once may be justified. Has already done millions in sales.

Useless but fun trivia; bananas literally do not taste the way they used to because the strain popular in the first half of the 20th century is effectively extinct. Wiped out by fungus.

• Useful 1

I can't believe the Tenikle (that spelling🥴) guy didn't jump at any deal.

I don't understand what Liberate does.

Was I the only one yelling, "Bananas are curved!" They seemed to have picked rather straight bananas. There's always going to be like a third of the banana with no filling!

As I typed that, I just remembered that I dreamed that I was in Whole Foods and saw the banana thing for sale! I never shop at Whole Foods.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I, too, have no idea what Liberate does, but I think the presenter thought she had it in the bag and seemed really surprised that nobody wanted to invest in a 2 million valuation for a "business" that has lifetime sales of $50,000.  Math matters.

I thought the banana thing was stupid as it's not that hard to spread peanut butter/other things on a banana.  I also think it would be hard to clean the corer thing. Plus, I don't like that kind of "clutter" in the kitchen.  How often do people eat plain bananas versus bananas with chocolate/peanut butter/etc.

I thought the tenkicle guy should have gone with Robert's deal which was essentially $370,000 (which would pay debts with 100,000 to start anew) for 60%, BUT once a new manager was hired that person's equity would come out of Robert's 60% thus protecting the presenter's 40%.  Also, if Robert had controlling interest, I think he would have really focused on the business and help it grow.  It amazes me when sharks moan and complain about an offer when they are out and have no intention of making an offer.  

The MaxPro seemed to be the best business presented in this episode (IMO).

Oh, and Mark and his humble brag about having a video up with his son that has been viewed 20 million times while telling the presenter how easy it is to get views.  I'm so glad that the guy responding with something like "yeah, but you're Mark Cuban."  Geesch Mark, just stop using yourself as an example of what others can do.

• Love 1
On 12/16/2021 at 12:48 PM, JTMacc99 said:

In a Shark Tank update, entrepreneurs Jumoke Jackson, Duane Myko and Danita Claytor from Brooklyn, New York, update their investor Mark Cuban about Legendary Burgers, the organic plant-based burger and how they're currently living up to their name.

Don't know if it was Jumoke or Duane, but they should re-think the choice of who their spokesperson is.  His OTT enthusiasm, loudness, and fast talking made him very, very hard to understand.

5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I can't believe the Tenikle (that spelling🥴) guy didn't jump at any deal.

I didn't listen closely at the beginning of the pitch, but I wonder if the thinks the 'real' word is "tenacle", and that's why he made his cutesy spelling variation.  The name is absolutely awful and I'm guessing they edited out the part where the sharks grilled him about that.

5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I don't understand what Liberate does.

As I understand it, it's simply a platform that offers mind-related classes.  They all thought the concept was so great, but how do they know anything about the quality?  And one of them mentioned that there are bigger companies out there doing the same thing, so what is so special about hers?  

1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

I thought the banana thing was stupid as it's not that hard to spread peanut butter/other things on a banana.  I also think it would be hard to clean the corer thing. Plus, I don't like that kind of "clutter" in the kitchen.  How often do people eat plain bananas versus bananas with chocolate/peanut butter/etc.

Yet another solution looking for a problem. I can see people buying it for the novelty of it then using it only once or twice.

Nobody mentioned how phallic that thing was. When they were all playing with it, I thought Freud would be having a field day analyzing all of them.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Yet another solution looking for a problem. I can see people buying it for the novelty of it then using it only once or twice.

Nobody mentioned how phallic that thing was. When they were all playing with it, I thought Freud would be having a field day analyzing all of them.

I noticed too. I figured they were not allowed to mention it. 

Max Pro seemed like other fitness devices we used to see, like Bowflex. 

• Love 1

Maxpro: Good product, but $900 seems too expensive for basically adjustable resistance bands. It doesn't really solve the problems causing obesity like he started the pitch with (lack of time, motivation, accessibility, etc.) and the whole kit and kaboodle looked like it would take up half your suitcase if you traveled with it, which he said was the inspiration to his idea. Seems like he's trying to blow up the brand too hard, too fast, and he's basically burning down the company to keep the pilot light on.

Banana Loca: Oh, great, more useless plastic garbage to throw into our landfills. I spread peanut butter on bananas all the time, somehow I haven't killed myself or anyone else in the process so it's not quite the disaster they think they're solving. Pure novelty, and Daymond said it best: you're going to use this thing once or twice to be cute, and then it'll sit around collecting dust until you toss it.

Liberate: Loved Kevin's grim delivery of "That's not a lot, Liv." I don't remember if she even said she had any education or credentials for this line of work, it sounds like it would just be vague suggestions about mindfulness you could get from any bargain bin self-help book.

Tentikle: I like this product, actually. They looked well-designed, fun and multi-functional. I would probably buy one if they were $29.99 instead of $45, I think he said. Hope the price-point comes down, it should probably help with his sales.

Does Mark Cuban have any self-awareness, actually? "It's easy to go viral, my videos get 20 million views!"

• Love 5
9 hours ago, jaigurudeva said:

Tentikle: I like this product, actually. They looked well-designed, fun and multi-functional. I would probably buy one if they were $29.99 instead of $45, I think he said. Hope the price-point comes down, it should probably help with his sales.

I looked online, and it appears that the original, which is called Tenicle 360 (with the degree sign after the 360) is selling for 39.95, and there is a (newer?) one called Tenicle Universal Mount v.2 for 30.00.

Because I've been looking for a cell phone car mount for my new used car, I looked at Tenikle online. It doesn't stick to anything with texture, but they'll helpfully sell you a set of stickers for another $8. I have a wraparound Popsocket on my phone case and no room for a sticker that I don't want on it anyway. No thanks.

• Love 2

Not only would the banana gizmo be really hard to clean, but I was put off by how much of each banana would be wasted. 

Surely, they only let the mental fitness woman in the tank so the sharks could feed on her. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, jaigurudeva said:

Maxpro: Good product, but $900 seems too expensive for basically adjustable resistance bands. It doesn't really solve the problems causing obesity like he started the pitch with (lack of time, motivation, accessibility, etc.) and the whole kit and kaboodle looked like it would take up half your suitcase if you traveled with it, which he said was the inspiration to his idea. 

I don't think he mentioned how much it weighed. It seemed as though putting it in your suitcase would easily put you over the baggage weight limit. I'm also not sure I'd pay $900 for something then risk having it stolen out of my suitcase.

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Because I've been looking for a cell phone car mount for my new used car, I looked at Tenikle online. It doesn't stick to anything with texture, but they'll helpfully sell you a set of stickers for another $8. I have a wraparound Popsocket on my phone case and no room for a sticker that I don't want on it anyway. No thanks.

I tried various types and the best one we found inserts into the CD player slot. Very sturdy mounting and good placement. My car is OLD!  

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

I tried various types and the best one we found inserts into the CD player slot. Very sturdy mounting and good placement. My car is OLD!  

That sounds just like what I'm looking for! 

I guess I just didn't get what is so unusual about the tenikle - is it that it sticks to surfaces?  Don't pretty much all of them do that?  It seems like a lot of them are bendy, as well.  

Re; Liberate, I think the concept of developing and selling to corporations some kind of on-line mental wellness program is a good one, but I can't believe it hasn't been (or will be) offered by some of the major players, like the big health insurance companies, similar to Silver Sneakers.  I just don't see this woman as having the ability to do that. 

That banana thing was gross, and by having banana in the title instantly limited the potential market.  Now - a churro or eclair stuffing kit sounds a lot better to me, but I still wouldn't buy such a limited use item.

• Love 1
On 12/19/2021 at 1:00 AM, jaigurudeva said:

Does Mark Cuban have any self-awareness, actually? "It's easy to go viral, my videos get 20 million views!"

At least the guy called him out on the fact that he's a celebrity and it's harder for regular people to do that.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:18 AM, TVbitch said:

Not only would the banana gizmo be really hard to clean, but I was put off by how much of each banana would be wasted. 

I thought of that too. I was waiting for them to mention you could eat the middle part you squeeze out of the banana, although that might be kind of gross since it is all mushy.

I have a hard time spreading peanut butter on bananas, so I just take a spoonful on my plate and use it like dip. A lot easier than setting up that whole device. Easier to clean too. I am surprised no one talked about the extra cleaning involved just to eat a simple banana. 

• Love 3

I thought the Banana thing was so pointless and stupid. Couldn’t agree with Daymond more that it’s a product you’ll use once and throw in the cabinet. Is it really that hard to spread PB or something on a banana? If I am someone who wants something like that for a snack, I’ll grab the banana and jar of PB and bring it to my living room to sit and eat while watching tv. “Oh let me get my banana gadget out to properly spread the PB!”

I did love the guy calling Mark out when he mentioned him and son doing a TikTok video and getting millions of views. I think Mark even said in his head, “Ok that was stupid of me good point”.

On 12/19/2021 at 12:34 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

If the MaxPro takes off, I bet a lot of the big hotels will have them available to use in your room, so no carrying. 

Why when many hotels already have a fitness center?

Edited by TM101

I know people who work out, and want to workout when they're traveling, but don't want to use the fitness center.   It may not have what they want to use, or it's not the equipment they like, or the hours don't work for them.    So, in the bigger motel rooms, something like the Max Pro would work for them.  

The banana stuffer seems useless to me.    I can see someone using it a few times, but never again.   

The tenticle mount could be useful I think.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama