Type keyword(s) to search

S33: Kim & Penn Holderness

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Babalu06 said:

I think I heard them say the woman who plays their neighbor is their producer (or one of their producers). 

I’m pretty sure she has that accent, though it’s exaggerated for this videos. They had some bloopers once, or maybe it was just talking a bit and you could hear it. I love those Midwest neighbor skits!

• Love 4
16 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I know we only see what they post but my general impression is that they know that they can annoy each other but that they have learned how to talk to each other when angry. 

They did, in fact, write a book about how to fight well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Everybody-Fights-Why-Not-Better-ebook/dp/B08BYJT1ZS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2CMZKQSQ0ECEW&keywords=holderness&qid=1642827943&sprefix=holderne%2Caps%2C352&sr=8-1

• Love 1
On 1/7/2022 at 5:44 PM, kcrabtree06 said:

Penn also mentioned that the train was extremely slow, so he was hesitant to leave then have to come back on the slow train again.

In the recaps, he also mentioned that he's slightly claustrophobic and the train was VERY TINY (and he's 6'6") and the train's fit in the tunnel barely had any clearance, so I bet he wasn't eager to have to redo the journey should they have it wrong.

As someone Penn's age with ADHD, I'm loving watching these two - somehow they've figured out how to leverage her anxiety and his ADHD to work well together and I like that they sat down before the race and discussed how they were going to cope relationship-wise under stress. You can see that in the mail task where Kim brought Penn out of his shame spiral and his failing made her feel like the pressure not to fail was off a little - they flubbed a task and survived to live another day.

• Love 11

How big were on Youtube prior to the pandemic. I only found them during lockdown when they went pretty viral with several covid parodies. So I knew who they were when Amazing Race started but obviously in real time I was seeing them on YouTube after they had ran those initially 3 logs.. if that makes sense?

• Love 1

I've been watching this season after a long TAR hiatus. I actually have a couple of connections to Penn and Kim. Back in the day when Penn was an on-air reporter in the Triangle, I was working a political job where I had some interactions with him. In addition, he went to the University of Virginia and was involved in some music stuff there (no surprise). My husband shares some mutual friends with Penn through those circles. Their videos aren't my cup of tea, but I think they can be quite funny and charismatic and I'm rooting for them.

• Love 8

What I like about their videos over some others that I see is that there is no pretending that it’s a real situation and not a staged one. So many I see try to pretend that whatever crazy thing occurring is real. Kim and Penny’s are parody songs, parody videos (like the Hallmark movie ones) reverse role play with the kids or some other original content. There’s no “you won’t believe what happened when I came home early” type things that are clearly staged. 
ETA the “Men of Target” that Penn did with a couple of guys a few years ago was very funny. 

Edited by bearcatfan
  • Love 9

My son asked about Kim and Penn while watching the Amazing Race. So we are watching their videos every now and then. The Hallmark ones are hilarious and I like showing him the This is a Coat on, recently shoot. Mainly because my 9 year old doesn’t want to wear pants or coats and thinks that hoodies are stupid. Never mind that it has been in the 20’s…..

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

My son asked about Kim and Penn while watching the Amazing Race. So we are watching their videos every now and then. The Hallmark ones are hilarious and I like showing him the This is a Coat on, recently shoot. Mainly because my 9 year old doesn’t want to wear pants or coats and thinks that hoodies are stupid. Never mind that it has been in the 20’s…..

My 14 yo daughter is the same way. She leaves every morning without a coat even when it’s in the teens. Her excuse is that she just needs to walk from the car into school. The only time she wore a coat this winter was when she went skiing with some friends. 

12 minutes ago, bearcatfan said:

My 14 yo daughter is the same way. She leaves every morning without a coat even when it’s in the teens. Her excuse is that she just needs to walk from the car into school. The only time she wore a coat this winter was when she went skiing with some friends. 

My kid walks a mile to school. I am going with 9 year old something or other. I don’t know what it is but I see the teenage boys doing the same thing so I am going with young men are really warm blooded? 

• Love 4

So, Kim almost quit the race before the Portugal leg. Apparently she had a massive panic attack the night before and Production had to let her find an outdoor place to walk and chill. She said she was out of it the entire Portugal leg and was just barely there. 

Kind of crazy

And there is no way Kim ever races again. She wants to work for the Race but she won't run it again. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

So, Kim almost quit the race before the Portugal leg. Apparently she had a massive panic attack the night before and Production had to let her find an outdoor place to walk and chill. She said she was out of it the entire Portugal leg and was just barely there. 

Kind of crazy

And there is no way Kim ever races again. She wants to work for the Race but she won't run it again. 

I heard that as well. I rewatched it this morning and she does seem subdued. Maybe that’s why the TAR gods gave her luck with her boat choice. 

• Love 1
On 2/27/2022 at 8:33 PM, ProfCrash said:

My kid walks a mile to school. I am going with 9 year old something or other. I don’t know what it is but I see the teenage boys doing the same thing so I am going with young men are really warm blooded? 

Since he lives in Raleigh, and it’s not that cold, a hoodie might be okay.

Though I will admit this winter was a bit colder than usual.  We actually had a few inches of snow once for the first time in four years.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I enjoyed those clips.  Penn really works hard at affirming Kim; I wish she did a little more to give Penn credit too.  Seems imbalanced but that’s obviously how their relationship works.  

Kim just had a major panic attack that almost caused her to quit the race. In all of the podcasts/interviews that they have done the past couple of days she has been very complimentary of Penn. In the extra clips throughout the race she has often said she has the best partner and she was extremely supportive of Penn when he screwed up in London. I don’t know why some are so hung up on her not acting how they think she should act in a few minutes of edited footage. 

My nephew’s wife suffers from anxiety and I’ve seen first hand how it effects her and how the judgmental bull she hears from others makes her feel like less of a person.  

• Love 14
15 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I enjoyed those clips.  Penn really works hard at affirming Kim; I wish she did a little more to give Penn credit too.  Seems imbalanced but that’s obviously how their relationship works.  

We don’t know that she didn’t…editing can really change reality.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, bearcatfan said:

Kim just had a major panic attack that almost caused her to quit the race. In all of the podcasts/interviews that they have done the past couple of days she has been very complimentary of Penn. In the extra clips throughout the race she has often said she has the best partner and she was extremely supportive of Penn when he screwed up in London. I don’t know why some are so hung up on her not acting how they think she should act in a few minutes of edited footage. 

My nephew’s wife suffers from anxiety and I’ve seen first hand how it effects her and how the judgmental bull she hears from others makes her feel like less of a person.  

7 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

We don’t know that she didn’t…editing can really change reality.

I just started listening to their race recaps on their podcast and on one (sorry, I don't remember which), Penn mentions that his "love language" is actually physical - hugs and kisses.  So whenever Kim stops to give him a hug or kiss on the race, that is her way of showing him that he is doing great and she loves him.  

It does seem to me like she is not as physically/verbally demonstrative so she makes sure to do this.   

My anxiety has gotten extreme at times over the past several years and I just shut down and need to be away from everyone.  So I get it.  And a lot of people do NOT understand.  

• Love 14
13 minutes ago, JenMcSnark said:

My anxiety has gotten extreme at times over the past several years and I just shut down and need to be away from everyone.  So I get it.  And a lot of people do NOT understand.  

I just want to let you know that I get it.  It’s horrible.  I shut down too.  It’s not cathartic because the anxiety is still berating me but I can’t physically or mentally do anything.  I’m just there.  It’s not a ‘I’m going for a run to clear my brain’. It’s too many steps to make the choice to get into running clothes so I’m going to shut off in a room and ruminate and do something mindless and have the anxiety just sit there looking at me like an annoying little sibling waiting for me to do anything to provoke a tantrum.   
I didn’t know anything about them besides their videos but their podcasts on marriage and ADHD and anxiety have helped so much.

• Love 11
On 3/7/2022 at 7:09 PM, ProfCrash said:

We have been watching the Holderness Nailed It videos. They are pretty amusing. 

I liked the 5 stages of Costco one mainly because it’s very true. I consider it a victory if I get out of there under $200. The snack aisle is my danger zone! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, bearcatfan said:

I liked the 5 stages of Costco one mainly because it’s very true. I consider it a victory if I get out of there under $200. The snack aisle is my danger zone! 

The COVID ones were really great, especially the distance learning ones. 

I do chuckle at the comments that Penn was playing to the cameras during the season because I know what Penn playing to the camera looks like and he was no where near close to anything he does in the videos. I see his responses as being pretty authentically Penn. But I see myself in a lot of his reactions so I could very well be projecting. 

• Love 9
15 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

The COVID ones were really great, especially the distance learning ones. 

I do chuckle at the comments that Penn was playing to the cameras during the season because I know what Penn playing to the camera looks like and he was no where near close to anything he does in the videos. I see his responses as being pretty authentically Penn. But I see myself in a lot of his reactions so I could very well be projecting. 

I don’t believe he was playing to the cameras either. The one exception was after he finished mending the fishing net but I believe that was because he knew he looked really nerdy in those glasses. I think if you are always playing to the cameras, it will effect your racing as you are more concerned with the cameras than the race. 
The Gen X Anthem just popped up in my timeline. I love that one too! I am also Gen X so I relate. 

Edited by bearcatfan
  • Love 6