Type keyword(s) to search

American Auto - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think the problem for me is that they are trying to normalize the incompetence and evil-doings. It's one thing to show the soul-crushing experience of workers at a soulless company. It's an entirely other thing to show the crushing from the point of view of the people doing the crushing-- and then ask the audience to sympathize with them and find their antics amusing. They want us to laugh it off and not think: this is why the world is fubar! People are being rewarded for incompetence and immorality! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
48 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I think the problem for me is that they are trying to normalize the incompetence and evil-doings. It's one thing to show the soul-crushing experience of workers at a soulless company. It's an entirely other thing to show the crushing from the point of view of the people doing the crushing-- and then ask the audience to sympathize with them and find their antics amusing. They want us to laugh it off and not think: this is why the world is fubar! People are being rewarded for incompetence and immorality! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I agree. There's a fine line in the writing and this show isn't towing it. It's not funny, it's just annoying and frustrating. It's certainly not "Better Off Ted," which was able to find that line and make it funny. 

It's too bad, the actors aren't bad but the writing isn't working for them. 

Edited by Maren
  • Love 2

That was dark!

On 1/20/2022 at 5:25 AM, AnimeMania said:

Weird that Dori and Elliot were not in the episode, maybe there was a incident with that dog from last episode 😉. I liked the part where Katherine tries to tank the "Opening" with her speech.

I'm just not getting what Elliot is adding to this show ☹️

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

American Auto     S01.E06: Commercial 
Katherine and the team reshoot a commercial to make it more inclusive of the LGBTQ+ community.
January 25, 2022      8 p.m.     NBC
243335084_1297736640676810_5113166134395

How does this team get into these crazy situations? Another crazy amusing episode

• Love 2

I'm getting the feeling the people writing this show are actually trying to turn back time because they themselves aren't capable of doing anything new, and don't really understand why they ought to be able to do it. 

It's really not that hard, but if you don't actually care, notice, or hire competent people, yeah: you will have a hard time doing anything right. Checking the boxes isn't a substitute for actual awareness or commitment or experience or investment.

I think the same fellow(Justin ?) who created "Superstore" is the creator of this show...both shows have similar over-the-top, absurdist Humor.  This current episode about filming the Commercial had me laughing out loud in several places and Ana Gastayer's facial expressions crack me up.

• Love 8

I find my problem with this show is that the charactes aren't good enough people to be likeable but also aren't bad enough people to be entertaining.  The commericial plot would have been way funnier on a show such as Curb Your Enthusiasm or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia because those characters are ususally portrayed as terrible people who do/say outrageous things, which makes it hilarious.  This show would be so much better if it stopped trying to make any of its characters good people and just leaned into them being shady, greedy business people who keep getting themselves into ridiculous situations.

I liked the commercial episode because the characters were only causing around 50% of their own grief. Mostly through stupidity and overreaction, but at least they are stupidly overreacting for less greedy reasons.

Dori's struggling(?) Actor/Leach encounter amused me no end.

• Love 5

I hated it because to me it was saying that it's too hard to make an inclusive production, when the real problem is trying to do anything last minute because you didn't do it right the first time. 

I do think we're supposed to like and sympathize with them, but I don't.

I just binged all six episodes today and LOVED THEM. I think the show is hysterically funny. I love pitch-dark humor, and I also know very well from my professional working life that many executives are this clueless and incompetent. No, I don't feel we're supposed to like or sympathize with any of them apart from Jack and Sadie, who still have some heart and conscience (and so not coincidentally are the show's romantic couple). Otherwise the show is unsparing about how venal these people are. I read back before the show started that the creator said he showed the regular workplace side in Superstore, with the characters there reacting to the stupid shit corporate sent down, and now he's doing the other side of it, seeing corporate actually make the decisions on the stupid shit. I loved Superstore, and I'm finding this even funnier.

Someone made the point that a lot of Superstore was about the characters' personal lives while here we're not getting much of the characters' personal lives, and for me, that's a feature, not a bug. The weakest part of Superstore to me was the time devoted to Amy and Jonah's personal lives. I always preferred the actual workplace stuff. I'm sure more will be rolled in eventually about this crew's personal lives, but hopefully not much. It's kind of like this show is L&O while Superstore was L&O: SVU in terms of how often the regulars' personal lives are shown.

I was so sad to reach the end of the sixth episode and find that there wasn't any more in my queue. Can't wait for the next one.

• Love 11

We caught up on the first few episodes and have been watching along since. We really enjoy the show - yes, the characters are over the top, but then that's pretty much what you would expect in something like this. Was really glad to see Joshua Malina, hope he shows up again before the season wraps up.

Never watched Superstore, so I can't comment on similarities/differences, but we're sticking around with this one for a while.

• Love 2

I think this is the first episode I will delete without watching.  Thinking about people like Anton Yelchin who were killed by a rolling car.  

In fact, maybe I'll just delete the series.  I'm not even pro-car anyway.  I'm pretty damn anti-car in fact.  Although I did watch The Office and it's not like I think paper is good for the Earth either....... 

Here, from Anton's Wikipedia page:

Lawsuit and recalls[edit]

A Jeep Grand Cherokee like the one Yelchin owned

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), the manufacturer of the Grand Cherokee, was aware of 2014 and 2015 models having a high rate of rollaway incidents due to a gearshift design that could make it difficult for the driver to determine whether the vehicle was in park or still in gear. FCA had already recalled all 2014–15 Grand Cherokees for this concern in April 2016, but the software patch to repair the vehicles did not reach dealers until the week of Yelchin's death. Following his death, FCA accelerated the recall campaign and took steps to get the affected Jeeps repaired more quickly than originally planned.[43]

On August 1, 2016, Yelchin's parents announced through their attorney that they were planning to file a wrongful death lawsuit against Fiat Chrysler.[44] The dealership from which Yelchin purchased the vehicle stated that he was responsible for his own death, because he had allegedly "misused" and "modified" the vehicle. The dealer also asked to be removed from the lawsuit.[45] On March 22, 2018, it was announced that Yelchin's family and Fiat Chrysler had confidentially settled out of court.[46]

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I felt like this was a lot of wheel spinning this episode but I'm curious about two things that could carry over:

1) Obviously, the janitor seeing the chart they left up on the whiteboard (and that's just weird that they wrote it out and left it up, but then again none of these characters seem very bright). 

2) It's clear that the "haunted cars" are all having the recall issue right? People are claiming the car was haunted because it rolled a few feet in the driveway or something similar and no one's looking at the specifics of the complaint because it sounds crazy...but they mentioned it more than once, so I'll be disappointed if it truly was a throwaway joke. 

• Love 4

Oh gosh no do not do any redemption arcs! That would ruin the whole hilarious show! 
I have gotten caught up and I am rewinding the conference room “I WISH I were a robot!!” scene over and over to catch each comment. 
This show and Grand Crew are giving me life for comedies again.

Eta Well if it is an ironic redemption arc that might work. But no, no not at all any redemption arcs that change the dynamic of this ridiculously funny show.

Superman? Your Queen! Has me rolling.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Love 1
On 2/2/2022 at 9:43 AM, questionfear said:

1) Obviously, the janitor seeing the chart they left up on the whiteboard (and that's just weird that they wrote it out and left it up, but then again none of these characters seem very bright). 

Executives don't notice janitors.

It's like the modern-day version of aristocratic life where the nobles have all their dramas in front of the waitstaff.

On 2/4/2022 at 3:13 PM, appositival said:

I'm enjoying the humor, so I guess the inexplicable incompetence of the CEO is going to have to slide. I'm hoping that she gets a redemption arc and finds a use for the talents that made her a success in the first place.

Lots of CEOs are incompetent. There's nothing inexplicable about it. Even the origin story, that she was hired from another industry altogether, is quite common. The corporate boards that hire CEOs often do not put much weight on actual industry knowledge and think it is fungible. And she came from the pharmaceutical industry, which helps explain it further. That's an industry that prints money, and the formula for success is not difficult: Fund the R&D division for drugs with the largest potential user base, set as high a price as can be gotten away with without becoming Public Enemy #1 (Martin Shkreli's failure), and hold onto patents for the maximum time. It's an industry where a CEO can look great because of a company's success while having little to do with it.

On 2/2/2022 at 9:43 AM, questionfear said:

2) It's clear that the "haunted cars" are all having the recall issue right? People are claiming the car was haunted because it rolled a few feet in the driveway or something similar and no one's looking at the specifics of the complaint because it sounds crazy...but they mentioned it more than once, so I'll be disappointed if it truly was a throwaway joke. 

I don't think so. She specifically had the customer complaints woman search for the words parking and rolling. If somebody thought a ghost was in their car because their car rolled mysteriously, that would have been mentioned in their complaint.

• Love 4
On 2/22/2022 at 11:27 PM, Ms Lark said:

Martha Kelly! From Baskets is Barb. Although she seems to be typecast, that's her shtick. Glad to see she has work.

Oh she's working, she's got an absolutely terrifying role this season in Euphoria. She's amazing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, gesundheit said:

Oh she's working, she's got an absolutely terrifying role this season in Euphoria. She's amazing.

Great to know. I don't get HBO, but I'll put it on the "Freeview Week" list. Thanks!

• Love 1
(edited)

American Auto     S01.E09: Charity Dinner

The group attends the annual Payne Foundation Fundraising Gala. Katherine suspects her job may be in jeopardy. Wesley deals with a family rivalry.  

March 1, 2022      8 p.m.     NBC

Alexandra Siegel as Michelle
Brad Hall as Richard
Ian Roberts as Charlie Altman
Isai Devine as Andre  

NUP_195486_0561.thumb.JPG.719b69c5853192b3f8a9cf2638c302e1.JPG

NUP_195486_0637.thumb.JPG.e731257625a64995ae569e82c87aa6f4.JPG

NUP_195486_0256.thumb.JPG.352b3900ad4c9bd855ce8bc9854644b7.JPG

Edited by AnimeMania

The thing with Andre and the other boy was uncomfortable. What did Elliot think he would do with Andre?

It was nice to see that Wesley isn't the worst member of the Payne family.

Katherine is about to crash and burn.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, appositival said:

The thing with Andre and the other boy was uncomfortable. What did Elliot think he would do with Andre?

Learn all to the lines from every Jame Bond movie.

• Love 1

American Auto     S01.E10: Profile 

Season Finale

When a TV newsmagazine films a segment on Katherine, the team struggles to portray her in a positive light while avoiding “gotcha” questions.

March 8, 2022      8 p.m.     NBC
NUP_195694_00640.thumb.JPG.d0378d73179dca5b3377afa7613a416c.JPG

NUP_195694_01335.thumb.JPG.7d6173ef25e1bcd2dcc801a9cb6480b2.JPG

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

American Auto     S01.E10: Profile 

Season Finale

When a TV newsmagazine films a segment on Katherine, the team struggles to portray her in a positive light while avoiding “gotcha” questions.

March 8, 2022      8 p.m.     NBC
NUP_195694_00640.thumb.JPG.d0378d73179dca5b3377afa7613a416c.JPG

NUP_195694_01335.thumb.JPG.7d6173ef25e1bcd2dcc801a9cb6480b2.JPG

Interesting that the one thing Katherine knows and stays calm about at a car company is how to deal with a scandal

57 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Interesting that the one thing Katherine knows and stays calm about at a car company is how to deal with a scandal

And thank goodness for that! I enjoy the show but I'd been waiting to see what she is good at, so that was fun.

• Love 6
On 2/2/2022 at 10:20 PM, redpencil said:

I kept expecting them to find the missing pawls somewhere else and realize they had never been installed to begin with. Maybe that will happen later, as they do seem to carry over storylines.

It seemed to me like the warehouse guy was implying they'd been stolen; if everybody in the warehouse knew they wouldn't be used, maybe some people decided to make a profit on inventory that wouldn't be missed.

Also, wouldn't the company have taken a write-off for inventory that was faulty and couldn't be used?  In that case, there would have to be an adjustment if they were located and utilized, which would negate at least part of the savings.

Finally, would those pawl shelves really stay empty?  Wouldn't new inventory take its place?

Speaking of carrying over (jokes), in the 8th episode we met Justine (sparkling wine), whom Wesley wanted to describe with the c-word (not can't) in the 4th episode.

• Love 2
On 3/1/2022 at 7:36 PM, AnimeMania said:

American Auto     S01.E09: Charity Dinner

The group attends the annual Payne Foundation Fundraising Gala. Katherine suspects her job may be in jeopardy. Wesley deals with a family rivalry.  

March 1, 2022      8 p.m.     NBC

On 3/2/2022 at 7:37 PM, appositival said:

It was nice to see that Wesley isn't the worst member of the Payne family.

Jake Barinholtz's (Wesley's) real-life brother Ike Barinholtz (The Mindy Project) played his brother Landon.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Maya said:

I really hope this show gets renewed. 

Me too.  When I first started watching it I wasn't sure I would like it but with each new episode I'm liking it more and more. 

11 hours ago, tomsmom said:

“Just a drive” I’ll bet that’s what Dodi said to Diana? 

Too Soon. Lmao!

You have to pay attention to hear all the jokes.  This one made me chuckle.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Also, wouldn't the company have taken a write-off for inventory that was faulty and couldn't be used?  In that case, there would have to be an adjustment if they were located and utilized, which would negate at least part of the savings.

The "pawls" were not "faulty", they just were not rated for what they "believed" they might have been used for. I wonder if they ever ordered "stronger" pawls and if those were correctly placed in the cars. They really should have followed up with a investigation into the missing inventory or would that have made them seem more liable. 

If there is a Season 2, I would like there to be a little more physical comedy, like when they were roaming the parking lot looking for cool parts to build their new car. A group of people sitting around talking doesn't always hold everybody's attention.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

The "pawls" were not "faulty", they just were not rated for what they "believed" they might have been used for. I wonder if they ever ordered "stronger" pawls and if those were correctly placed in the cars. They really should have followed up with a investigation into the missing inventory or would that have made them seem more liable. 

I agree about the follow-up, but if the pawls were incapable of being used in any car that the company anticipated ever making and they could not return them or resell them, then I believe they might have been entitled to a write-off.  Perhaps an accountant should weigh in!

• Love 3

I found this series totally disappointing.

The will they/ won't they vibe between Sadie and the former factory guy was so played out and boring. Who cares?

It was like the show did not have an original idea and just tried to use the best parts of better shows.

I hated that everyone was so incompetent at their job. I love Anna G but why the Hell should I root for her character to keep her job? She knows nothing about cars or the business.

Not even the secretary was competent and not putting the right people on mute can get you fired.

I did find it interesting that Catherine's husband was playing the supportive spouse so well, particularly since he was an older man. I have never seen the genders reversed like that.

However, in the most capitalist country in the world, we have to have a plot about how she is not as supportive of his career as he is of hers. I am sorry but I am betting her work is insanely stressful and probably funds a million-dollar lifestyle very few elementary teachers can afford.

That said she should have just told him she needed some me time instead of making up that stupid lie about going to Mumbai.

• Love 1

There is still ZERO chemistry between Sadie and the factory guy.  Zero.  I don’t know why they’re trying to force it, and why this wasn’t apparent at the audition.  Let them each find someone else!  And she didn’t look hot in that dress.  At all.  

Also, that lawyer is so paranoid about everything they could possibly say that he sits in on every interview, but he’s ok with an employee WHO HAS NEVER DRIVEN BEFORE AND DOESNT HAVE A LICENSE driving around a reporter and camera person?  No way he would’ve approved that, if she gets into an accident they’re toast!  They at least should’ve had him object.  

Edited by Rebecca berkowit
  • Love 3