Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09/E10: Welcome to the Snow Globe, Part One / Part Two

• Start Topic

A businesswoman's fantasy of a perfect Christmas and to meet "Mr. Right" tests Roarke in unexpected ways. Meanwhile, Mr. Jones faces his past, while a new Secret Santa tradition has Ruby and Javier looking to the future in the all-new two-hour holiday special.

Airdate: Tuesday, Dec. 21, 2021

island-holidays-fantasy-island.jpg

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Everyone is probably busy, but this is my second Christmas living my own personal version of “Home Alone”. Most of my fam is quarantined (with few to no symptoms, thank goodness). When I saw this on the DVR list, of course, I just had to watch it right away!  What a hoot (the roast of holiday movies)! Lots of questions answered, and a unique secondary story! Best line, “This is MY island, and you’re not welcome here!” (Of course it had to be a poinsettia!). Kept attention for the whole two hours, and established the direction forward for the remainder of the season (coming in spring). I really like the entire main cast-they make a great ensemble, and if they can keep giving us new and different stories, this show should last. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, 4merBachAddict said:

The best part was the Christmas sweaters that kept getting more & more & MORE  'Christmas-y'! 

For me, the best part of that was the reaction to it. Shouldn’t have just been “No”, but “H- No!”

• Love 3

I didn’t know there was going to be a Christmas show, but there it was, recorded and sitting in my library.

I didn’t  think much of this episode. Someone tried too hard to knot up these plots. And at the same time it was all too obvious.

As I recall needles in the dark ages, you had to purchase a cartridge the replace a needle. Good thing it’s Fantasy Island.

James’ teeth were absurdly white. 

I thought Javier was going to get Elena another Golden Retriever.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Okay, this was cute! Gotta be honest, though; I really don't care much about the love lives of the leads. I'm here for the fantasies.

The Christmas movie fantasy was funny with all the tropes and clichés playing out. "Precocious kid" was a hoot!

So the dog has been a person this whole time? That was one of the weirder twists. But at least with this one it answered a question that I've had with some of the fantasies: what happens to the people/lives left behind when clients have long-term fantasies?

So does this mean Elena doesn't have a pet anymore?  :(

I am glad that Elena got closure with her ex-fiancé; but they were also showing that he was getting closure too - but that wasn't the real James, it was 'Fantasy James', so it was a bit confusing. But again, I don't care enough to make sense of it; now we can move on.

With the secret santa stuff, I kept thinking, "literally where would they go to get anything??" Pretty sure there aren't any stores on that tiny island, and flying anything in would take too long. But I know this is not a show to nitpick. At least Javier fixed up that chair that was already there; that was really nice.

I loved everyone's outfits at the Christmas party, and Elena's llama sweater was cute too!

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Trini said:

With the secret santa stuff, I kept thinking, "literally where would they go to get anything?

I think that was the point, they had to be creative and find a meaningful gift from items they already owned or could make/repair. Each gift was given from the heart. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Trini said:

I am glad that Elena got closure with her ex-fiancé; but they were also showing that he was getting closure too - but that wasn't the real James, it was 'Fantasy James', so it was a bit confusing. But again, I don't care enough to make sense of it; now we can move on.

Since this episode was on a different day than originally scheduled, my DVR only recorded the first hour.  How did Elena get closure?  Did the CEO of the company get together with her co-worker?

• Useful 1
22 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

Did the CEO of the company get together with her co-worker?

I'll answer this part at least: She did! In (almost) typical Christmas rom-com fashion. After Elena takes 'Jake'/James out of the fantasy, things start going wrong because he's not there. Co-worker eventually sees how much 'the perfect Christmas' means to her, and he works to fix things, and he gets into the spirit. She starts to see him in a new light, and he confesses that he's actually more like the rugged, blue collar stereotype than he lets on, because he's been hiding his past to make it in the white collar world. He confesses his love and commitment again, and she decides she doesn't want safe predictability, and then proposes to him! At the island Christmas party later, they say that they're going to get out of the corporate world, and open a bed and breakfast together.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 12/26/2021 at 10:32 AM, HerkyJerky said:

Since this episode was on a different day than originally scheduled, my DVR only recorded the first hour.  How did Elena get closure?  Did the CEO of the company get together with her co-worker?

"James" wanted her to go back with him, saying that it wasn't right that everyone got their fantasy except her. But then he saw her in action, turning the bullet in Tony's gun into a poinsettia, and he realized that the island was where she belonged and left.

At the end, when he gave her the chair, Elena told Javier to ask her out again.

I thought that it was a good episode and the Hallmark Christmas movie fantasy was better than the actual Hallmark movie playing on another channel at the same time. Ruby continues to grate though (she makes cheerleaders look morose) and her romance qith the doctor has the subtlety of a plethora of anvils. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

"James" wanted her to go back with him, saying that it wasn't right that everyone got their fantasy except her. But then he saw her in action, turning the bullet in Tony's gun into a poinsettia, and he realized that the island was where she belonged and left.

I think it was moreso that Elena had finally accepted her role on the Island, and she could finally let James go and be open to new love-- but I'm not rewatching those scenes to be sure.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, DanaK said:

The chair given to Elena that Mr. Rourke used was a sweet moment

Why was he "Mr. Rourke" & Elena is just "Rourke"? Hmmm And does this mean that if she gets married she's not allowed to change her last name? 

4 hours ago, GaT said:

Why was he "Mr. Rourke" & Elena is just "Rourke"? Hmmm And does this mean that if she gets married she's not allowed to change her last name? 

She’s addressed as Miss Rourke. I suspect she won’t be getting married while she oversees the island

I loved this double episode . it was a great story line for this type of show, and was even kind of light hearted overall for the holiday. 

For this show, I think you really have to suspend your disbelief and just enjoy it, except if there are some really huge story holes. But of course everyone has a different threshold for where they draw the line.

I love the cast. Kiara Barnes is doing a great job in my opinion, playing a sort of naive young women with an old woman's heart and soul. She was ripped to shreds over on the Bold and Beautiful thread here while she was on that show. I've always liked her and didn't agree about her performance on B&B, and enjoy her here very much! And Roslyn Sanchez is fantastic as Ms Roarke, I feel the channeling of mr. Roarke. 

• Love 3

This show continues to be my guilty pleasure from 2021, now into 2022.  I really do enjoy it.  It's fluff, but it has gorgeous scenery, beautiful people in beautiful clothes, and up until now, a cute dog.  They need to get another dog.  I liked this Christmas episode, and thought skewering all the holiday movie tropes was hilarious, down to the precocious child and (ever changing) holiday sweaters.  This show doesn't take itself too seriously, which is a good thing.  I also give them credit for diverse casting - all ages, races, sizes, etc. 

As to the Mr. Rourke vs. Rourke vs. Elena comments above...  going just for memory, did Mr. Rourke actually have a first name on the series?  Does he now?  Does Elena refer to him as my Great Great Uncle Milford or whatnot?  I have no memory of any first name ever being used for him.  I do remember that on the original series he was mostly called Mr. Rourke, except by cocky, powerful men, who then just called him Rourke.  Usually when they were angry.  In the current series, Ruby refers to Elena as Roarke, but I think she usually calls her Elena when addressing her directly.  Javier seems to do the same.  It makes sense for the character to go by Rourke more than her first name with employees, as she tries to keep a professional distance.  Why not Ms. Rourke?  I don't know, but just Rourke fits. 

The Christmas episode:  First, one little nitpick...  Ruby's eyebrows are ridiculous!  The look like someone took old fake mustaches and glued them above her eyes.  They need to tone those down!  OK, now that rant is over...  I loved the Snowglobe Inn, and love that Elena stole a snowglobe for the old guy's xmas present.  Not sure how she did that, but hey, it's fantasy island.  James/Jake will always be Tag from Friends for me, and it was weird to see him aged so much.  I like that Elena isn't perfect and brought James into the fantasy unintentionally.  I expected Elena to still be in all white - winter white, maybe - when she went into the Snowglobe Inn fantasy, but it was nice to see her in jeans and a sweater.  I liked how Richard was still in his shirt and tie when he entered the Inn - he was the only character that didn't magically change clothes.  I'm glad they finally put Ruby and Dr. whatshername officially together.  It was getting a bit too high school awkward for me. 

Edited by chaifan
  • Love 2

Having just watched this, all I can say that it's a shame Eric Winter was a guest star this season because he would have made a great James/Jake given they've been married for years. They would have really made the screen sizzle. If you note, the actor they chose looks just like him. I wonder if that was intentional .

• Love 1