Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Keep the Wolves Close

Pallas
  • Start Topic

51 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Entire state of Montana has approx 1 million people (according to 2020 figures), approx. equal to San Jose, California or Austin, Texas.  When you choose to live in a place where human interaction is mostly accidental, you would probably feel as JD does, and support his efforts to keep Montana the same as it ever was, whether self serving or not.

That almost makes it more confusing that the current (or previous) state governments didn't do more to restrict development or that there wouldn't be more publicity about the incursion of outside developers before now (at least as far as the TV show goes). But perhaps this story isn't very different than other places where the lure of money and jobs sways public opinion more than holding on to properties that have become unprofitable, difficult to maintain, or too expensive to keep as is. 

Considering how John runs his ranch, I wonder how effective he could realistically be as governor, where he will have to work with diverse people and organizations who may not share his vision. He won't be able to just use some shorthand to Rip to get things done.

• Love 3
On 12/14/2021 at 12:00 AM, BrownBear2012 said:

I kind of liked it when Lloyd smashed Walker's guitar...reminded me of John Belushi in Animal House when he smashed Stephen Bishop's guitar when Bishop was singing "I Gave My Love a Cherry" on the stairs of the Fraternity House during the Toga party...LOL!

Ou71tAQ.gif?noredirect

One of my favorite scenes of all time

Edited by mytmo
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, blackwing said:
  • Kayce - uses his position to carry out and sanction flat out murders of his family's enemies.  Sure, those people were bad people, but it doesn't seem to me that the position of "Livestock Agent" should necessarily extend to being a paramilitary unit who takes out people just because he wants to.  If they committed some kind of crime that was livestock-related, they should have been arrested and charged.

It seems like the only good Dutton was Lee (and perhaps the mom), but that might just be because we didn't get to know them.

I think as far as good people, we have Teeter.  The cook.  Possibly Colby and Ryan, although they have been used as muscle by Kayce and Rip.  And I think there's at least two other nameless ranchhands that we haven't gotten much knowledge about.

Gator! I need more of him. What's his history? Where does he live? 

• Love 3

If Jaime has any sense whatsoever, and that's questionable, he should realize that his governmental career is essentially over.  If John is elected, which is also questionable, he will immediately replace Jaime as AG, because he doesn't need him anymore.  If John loses, his opponent will put his own people into the position.  He should go all in right now and start working his own ranch, family be damned.  Maybe the position is elected; I don't know.  Fun fact:  Iooked it up on Wiki, and the entry says that one of the responsibilities of the AG is to sit on the Land Board, which oversees the income generated from the land in the state.

3 hours ago, blackwing said:

The cook.

Rip is going to have to have a talk with Beth if they move into the big house.  Gator might not stand anymore for her upending breakfast every day because of one of her moods.

3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

the feds had so much trouble rounding them up.

And you would think that the BLM guy there would immediately notice that they were branded and shod.  They've been corralled for a few days at least.  It still leaves the mystery of the dirt bike rustlers who cut the fence in the first place.  Speaking of which, why didn't the Tribal Council round up a bunch of riders to go out and look for the horses?  They, like every citizen, have rights of travel over government land.  I get that it was done so that Kayce could be a stand up guy with the Confederated Tribes, but still...

And one other nitpick.  Market Equities would have relocated to either Bozeman or Helena if they wanted access to their project and/or the Capital.  Beth has to commute every day from wherever that ranch is.  That Mercedes of hers isn't going to like the Montana winters.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I'd like to hear more of Gator's backstory, too.  

Frankly, instead of focusing on 6666, I wish they'd done backstories on the rest of the bunkhouse people.  They didn't have to be that long, just sitting around and talking for a few minutes about where they came from, how they got there.  

• Love 8

I guess we should just start calling this show "Jimmy" instead of Yellowstone and be done with it. Its the backdoor pilot that refuses to end, they so desperately want us to watch their stupid spin-off that they just decided to slice the damn thing into the show we're already watching. And it doesn't even have the decency to be interesting. 

I'm glad that Teeter got her job back, but what the ever loving fuck is Laramie still doing there? You can sure tell which actors are the show runners favorites. This season is just tedious, I have to actually remind myself to watch it. 

I am normally something of a Jamie apologist, but he is really picking the wrong dad here, I cant get behind him at all on this one. The Duttons are pretty terrible but his bio dad is even worse. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

If John is elected, which is also questionable, he will immediately replace Jaime as AG, because he doesn't need him anymore.  If John loses, his opponent will put his own people into the position. 

The AG is an elected position. I don't know when Jamie would be up for re-election next, but if the AG term extends past the Governor's, he could still be in office when John or an opponent takes office. They could try to force him to resign, but they couldn't just replace him.

2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

And you would think that the BLM guy there would immediately notice that they were branded and shod. 

That seemed really odd, you would think he would have noticed. I guess he was too busy on his phone to pay attention to the horses.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, KittyQ said:

That almost makes it more confusing that the current (or previous) state governments didn't do more to restrict development or that there wouldn't be more publicity about the incursion of outside developers before now (at least as far as the TV show goes). But perhaps this story isn't very different than other places where the lure of money and jobs sways public opinion more than holding on to properties that have become unprofitable, difficult to maintain, or too expensive to keep as is. 

Considering how John runs his ranch, I wonder how effective he could realistically be as governor, where he will have to work with diverse people and organizations who may not share his vision. He won't be able to just use some shorthand to Rip to get things done.

Not altogether sure that realism is the goal here. 😄

• LOL 12
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I am normally something of a Jamie apologist, but he is really picking the wrong dad here, I cant get behind him at all on this one. The Duttons are pretty terrible but his bio dad is even worse. 

I agree. Bio dad is way worse, even if the Duttons are a terrible family. I know this won't happen because it is TV, but Jamie should strike out on his own; maybe move to another state. I don't know how tied he is to the former GF and the baby, but if they stick with the bio dad, I think he should move on from them, too. And maybe get a good therapist. 

I really wanted to like Jamie at the beginning of the show, but he's becoming a whiny wimp who buys into all the baloney that his "families" dish out.

• Love 8

Glad I'm not the only one confused about how Laramie ended up back in the bunkhouse.  Even if it was just a booty call, she shouldn't have been there.  Mr. Max seems to think she's branded, but I don't remember that.  Only Teeter.

And why in God's name did Rip not say that from the get go?

The whole horses thing was ridiculous.  "You can't do that with horses."  Look, we're doing it with horses, some weird mystical plan that Mo came up with?  Maybe a better line would have been "you can't do that with two horses."

Isn't Taylor Sheridan's character supposed to be some kind of super rider?  Why was he helping them round up cattle?

Good God, enough of Jimmy!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Moose135 said:

The AG is an elected position. I don't know when Jamie would be up for re-election next, but if the AG term extends past the Governor's, he could still be in office when John or an opponent takes office. They could try to force him to resign, but they couldn't just replace him.

There's a good chance the AG's term is up the same time as the Governor's.   Since Jamie wasa appointed AG, he would have to run for the position when that appointed term is complete.

• Useful 1

Maybe the moments of the season were when Mo and Kayce were riding for the stolen stallions.  Reminiscent of Rick and Capt. Renault in Casablanca - the beginning of a beautiful friendship.  Then, Rainwater's sharing his wisdom (No, not the warning about Avery) in appreciation to Kayce was also quite a moment.  What's next, an ode to the Stille Nacht moment in WW I?

Here's hoping Kayce and the brat's marriage is Sunka.

Everything was in service to the gutting of Jamie, so I get it.  However, I just can't suspend the necessary disbelief and pretend all the exposition we had in earlier seasons about the outrageous actions surrounding the Governor and John's political dealings never happened.  I feel like it would be fun to create a Bingo card as we follow the "campaign."  

The moral difference in the handling of Lloyd's act of atonement and Dutton's ordering Rip "home" is massive.  The former was most sincerely selfless, the latter off-the-charts selfishness.  I sure hope each man reaps what they sowed in those moments.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, madmax said:

The whole horses thing was ridiculous.  "You can't do that with horses."  Look, we're doing it with horses, some weird mystical plan that Mo came up with?  Maybe a better line would have been "you can't do that with two horses."

They just herded 300 head of horses with horses a couple weeks ago( the horses belonging to the rancher whom committed suicide).  I don’t see what was different about these much fewer horses. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

They just herded 300 head of horses with horses a couple weeks ago( the horses belonging to the rancher whom committed suicide).  I don’t see what was different about these much fewer horses. 

Which kinda makes my point.  Why did the Bureau of Land Management guy say they couldn't do it with horses?  If they would have added a word or two, it would have made more sense.

But this season doesn't seem to be much about sense, just Jimmy...

• Love 2
9 hours ago, madmax said:

One more line of dialogue is all that was needed. Or one reworked line of dialogue. I understand “show, don’t tell” but just one additional sentence or show Mo having a moment of interaction that implies a mystic connection. 

The writing is painful. The scene with Avery talking about “love at first sight” equals an immature writer’s daydream or a beautiful girl professing her love for him. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, madmax said:

Which kinda makes my point.  Why did the Bureau of Land Management guy say they couldn't do it with horses?  If they would have added a word or two, it would have made more sense.

But this season doesn't seem to be much about sense, just Jimmy...

I think we were meant to see the ineptitude of the Bureau in being able to manage the horses.  Not only did they not pay attention to the brands and shoes but they didn't have the skill to corral them easily. YMMV.

And about the season not making sense - I feel like we are meant to fall in love with the cowboy lifestyle and the untamed west.  Hence all of the footage of the horses and John's convo with Summer.  So we root for the Duttons in their fight with ME and everyone else. 

Plus Jamie can kick rocks - he didn't use his years away at college to become his own person, like Kayce did with his time in the military. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Moose135 said:

13 hours ago, AnnA said:

There's a good chance the AG's term is up the same time as the Governor's.   Since Jamie wasa appointed AG, he would have to run for the position when that appointed term is complete.

I am not sure the AG and Governor are on the same election cycle in this show.  In my state, all of the statewide executive offices are elected in the same cycle, but I'm not sure it works that way in other states?  And then they could always adjust things for purposes of this show.

I believe Jamie was running for AG, but then was convinced to drop out, and they brought in some blonde woman who was elected.  Then at the start of the next season, the woman had disappeared/resigned (I forget where they said she went) and Jamie was appointed as Acting AG to finish out her term.  I don't recall if there was any mention of the Governor being up for re-election at the same time, but I tend to think not.  Because it seems she was going to be up for re-election now (or soon) and she decided to run for Senate instead.  It'd be way too early for her to be up for re-election if she had just been re-elected at the time blonde woman was elected as AG.  And there'd be no point to her discussing this with John if re-election wasn't for another 2 years.

I would say that if John gets elected as Governor, and since Jamie was appointed as Acting AG, I would say that John could probably replace him with an appointee of his own choice.  Or force him to resign out of some conflict of interest.  Even though I am sure that at some point in U.S. history, there have been siblings or relatives simultaneously in statewide office.

• Love 2

The one thing I'll give John Dutton credit for is saving Jimmy's ass, because he's much better off jacking off horses than being at Yellowstone.   Plus, that woman who's interested in him seems nice and much better for him than that Mia chick.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

So the Kayce as governor story line just gets dropped?  Suprise! Not!

Kayce and Avery? I do think there was something between them at the bunkhouse back in season 1? But she disappeared and no further development until now?  Bad storytelling. I don't think Kayce will betray Monica. Of all the Duttons he has a soul. But Monica being jealous because one woman gave him goo goo eyes? Does she not know her husband?

Jaime is spineless.... His inability to do the right thing is at least consistent. I need a faceoff between John and Randall and soon.

Beth's suit and look in her office? On point as always.

There is a lot of controversy with the BLM, so them missing shoes and other obvious signs of ownership is not surprising.

I loved LLoyd do his gift of the Magi thing for Walker.

Loved Teeter's scenes as well.

Laramie please go away.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, bkathi said:

I think we were meant to see the ineptitude of the Bureau in being able to manage the horses.  Not only did they not pay attention to the brands and shoes but they didn't have the skill to corral them easily. YMMV.

And about the season not making sense - I feel like we are meant to fall in love with the cowboy lifestyle and the untamed west.  Hence all of the footage of the horses and John's convo with Summer.  So we root for the Duttons in their fight with ME and everyone else. 

Plus Jamie can kick rocks - he didn't use his years away at college to become his own person, like Kayce did with his time in the military. 

I think you have something here. The not so subliminal message is that "outsiders" don't know anything and manage things ineptly, so only someone so tied to the land (like John for example) has the know-how to manage the wildlife and the land. 

Good point about Jamie not using his college experience to become his own person. The Duttons didn't suddenly become dysfunctional, so why not use time away to learn about better ways to live while you're becoming the wizard lawyer?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, rhygirl720 said:

upon rewatch: well Jimmy is riding better anyways... I guess 8-hour days in the saddle are helping.

I was thinking the same thing when I watched. The actor must be taking riding lessons as Jimmy looked quite comfortable. Especially for someone who is supposed to be wearing a back brace, but I can't ask for too much of the show at once.

Your horse is beautiful - love the snow!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, rhygirl720 said:

upon rewatch: well Jimmy is riding better anyways... I guess 8-hour days in the saddle are helping.

I love watching the horses run.

Mo's horse looks like one of mine image.thumb.png.6e0bb2b53579e83ba5e506b49d97e3c7.png

So wait.  I'm on camera now?  Do I get dessert?  😋

Beautiful horse.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

17 hours ago, madmax said:

Why did the Bureau of Land Management guy say they couldn't do it with horses?  If they would have added a word or two, it would have made more sense.

4 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I think you have something here. The not so subliminal message is that "outsiders" don't know anything and manage things ineptly, so only someone so tied to the land (like John for example) has the know-how to manage the wildlife and the land. 

Sheridan was definitely making a point about ignorant, if not wicked, outsiders being the ruination of the land.  I am pretty sure Rainwater fully endorses this concept, himself.

Yet, this was also the umpteenth instance where Sheridan wrote a check he could not cash.  He built up the degree of difficulty in wrangling the stallions, and he had Mo fully agreeing and speaking his great doubts when he questioned Kayce.  We never did get the lowdown on the scheme they used.

What I could not get past while I was watching the purty pictures/video of the release and recapture was that the stallions were overtaken on several occasions by the work horses who were fully weighted down with saddles/tack and humans.  The were also well-rested as they did not have to travel to get to the pen they were in.  Those stallions simply had to be faster and better on unfamiliar terrain.  But, they were out run and out quicked by maneuvering horses who were not running straight as they liked.

At least TS didn't choose to use the cutters to get the job done.   

• Useful 3
10 hours ago, blackwing said:

I am not sure the AG and Governor are on the same election cycle in this show.  In my state, all of the statewide executive offices are elected in the same cycle, but I'm not sure it works that way in other states?  And then they could always adjust things for purposes of this show.

I believe Jamie was running for AG, but then was convinced to drop out, and they brought in some blonde woman who was elected.  Then at the start of the next season, the woman had disappeared/resigned (I forget where they said she went) and Jamie was appointed as Acting AG to finish out her term.  I don't recall if there was any mention of the Governor being up for re-election at the same time, but I tend to think not.  Because it seems she was going to be up for re-election now (or soon) and she decided to run for Senate instead.  It'd be way too early for her to be up for re-election if she had just been re-elected at the time blonde woman was elected as AG.  And there'd be no point to her discussing this with John if re-election wasn't for another 2 years.

I would say that if John gets elected as Governor, and since Jamie was appointed as Acting AG, I would say that John could probably replace him with an appointee of his own choice.  Or force him to resign out of some conflict of interest.  Even though I am sure that at some point in U.S. history, there have been siblings or relatives simultaneously in statewide office.

The Governor is term limited and she's coming to the end of her last term in office.

• Useful 1

The governor was pretty cruel to Jamie to give him no heads up over what she was planning. And if she couldn't give him a heads up, did she have to pull him out of his office to watch and give his evil sister the chance to point and laugh at him?

Jamie is pretty weak willed, makes terrible choices, and also like, has murdered someone, so logically it's hard to feel sorry for him, but I do.

That said, he absolutely should have known better. There is no way in any world, for any reason, Beth would show up and smile as Jamie was publicly endorsed.

• Love 11
21 hours ago, rhygirl720 said:

Kayce and Avery? I do think there was something between them at the bunkhouse back in season 1? But she disappeared and no further development until now?  Bad storytelling. I don't think Kayce will betray Monica. Of all the Duttons he has a soul. But Monica being jealous because one woman gave him goo goo eyes? Does she not know her husband?

There was like, a longing look, and Kayce looked startled to see her, beyond just being surprised to see a woman in the bunkhouse. I thought he might have known her, but it was never explored. If there was any intent on the writers to do something with it, I believe that has now been retconned. I think we are to assume that Avery "fell in love" with Kayce upon first sight, whenever that might have been, but he doesn't know her. I think Kayce and Monica have been together since high school, in fact, didn't John tell Monica that Kayce knocking up Monica in high school and insisting on marrying her was what instigated his forced branding?

Kayce has given Monica no reason to be jealous, but if Monica can feel like the aggrieved party for any reason, she will milk it to no end.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Looks like Jimmy is settling in nicely into the Texas cowboy life. Be nice if we didn't have to see so much of it every episode now.

I think Tate's getting too precocious. And mouthy.

Okay, watching Jimmy masturbate a horse was not on my bingo card of Yellowstone scenes which could be nightmare fuel.

Heifer! Heifer! Heifer!

Why did Dutton ask Rip if Kayce knew about Teeter being branded? What's it to Kayce?

John Dutton running for governor. Now that's funny. Especially since Jamie will be running against him. It'll be a race to the bottom of a ditch full of mud.

Jimmy, apparently you learned nothing from your experiences with Mia which almost got you killed. Bossy women are your downfall.

So did Beth finagle a way to bring Summer to town to stop the airport and resort development? She wasn't counting on Summer making a detour through Dutton's bedroom first though, haha.

Love at first sight? Oh FFS. Avery must have a death wish because Monica ain't gonna sit still for that. (But there's a theory over on reddit that a main character is going to die this season. Maybe it'll be Monica and then widower Kayce can find comfort in Avery's arms. 😉)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

So did Beth finagle a way to bring Summer to town to stop the airport and resort development? She wasn't counting on Summer making a detour through Dutton's bedroom first though, haha.

I hadn't thought of that but you might be right, only Beth didn't count on John taking her in.

• Love 1

Just a word here because I watched episode 1 & 2 of 1883 at 12:03 AM today and I'm already hooked. Found myself already looking for hints of the modern day Duttons in the story.  I'll hand it to Sheridan on the writing for these premier episodes. You can tell his heart is in this one. 

And it's a great cast. Tom Hanks has a cameo! I'm going to be happily immersed in Yellowstone past and present for the next few weeks. I've had Paramount+ since it was CBS+ (for The Good Fight) &  now my longing for Westerns  can be sated a bit, too. Worth the $9.99.

Now to see if the original Yellowstone keeps up its standard or if my concern that Sheridan is spread too thin bears out.

Maybe he can keep all these shows wonderful and spinning on those poles and he'll only get divorced due to overwork while the audience stays blissful 😁

And maybe now Yellowstone won't be interrupted by ads for 1883 now that its actually airing.

Edited by BlueHawk
adding words for sense-making...
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 12/17/2021 at 8:59 AM, Tatum said:

Kayce and Avery? I do think there was something between them at the bunkhouse back in season 1?

Do you think maybe Kayce visited the strip club? Isn't that where Rip was when he offered here a job at the ranch? 

• Useful 2
On 12/19/2021 at 1:46 AM, BlueHawk said:

Now to see if the original Yellowstone keeps up its standard or if my concern that Sheridan is spread too thin bears out.

IMHO, the original has slipped way below it's previous level this whole season.  I don't know why we see Jimmy for at least 10 minutes every week,plus the ads for Taylor's other shows, plus zjimmy in commercials for boots or whatever.  I now FF through all his scenes.  This season of Yellowstone has turned me completely off anything Taylor is attached to in  the future.  I'll bet the new show starts off great, but will be a mess in a few seasons.  And bloody hell, I am not paying for another streaming service!!!

• Love 5

Add me as another that enjoyed the scene of the mustangs running.  Kayce's "shhhhhit" as the two men were driving the horses out of the pen was very appropriate, ha.

Yuck to the scene of Jimmy and the horse.  Served no purpose and it's right up there on the awful scale near Monica bathing her grown-ass son in the tub a few episodes back.

Saw the guy who plays the asshole with alligator seats while fast-forwarding through a commercial break, so I rewound see what he had to say.  Just wanted to know what the guy does in real life.  Imagine my surprise when that asshole turned out to be the showrunner!  Explains so much, really...

• Love 7
6 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Saw the guy who plays the asshole with alligator seats while fast-forwarding through a commercial break, so I rewound see what he had to say.  Just wanted to know what the guy does in real life.  Imagine my surprise when that asshole turned out to be the showrunner!  Explains so much, really...

Uh, just a clarification--- if you're referring to the driver of the truck who chased Jimmy out due to his back brace? That's Taylor Sheridan himself. Writer, originator, director, main producer, actual horseman & rider, ranch owner, big boss, top dog & fervent believer in his own omniscience in the world of Western TV Shows.

Sheridan is currently engaged in an internal contest between his talent and his ego which is producing too much dust right now for observers to see which is winning (altho' early indicators currently put ego slightly ahead).

We judges are sitting on the top rail of the corral watching with narrowed eyes to see which bets will pay off.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, BlueHawk said:
22 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Uh, just a clarification--- if you're referring to the driver of the truck who chased Jimmy out due to his back brace? That's Taylor Sheridan himself. Writer, originator, director, main producer, actual horseman & rider, ranch owner, big boss, top dog & fervent believer in his own omniscience in the world of Western TV Shows.

Yes, that's what the poster SONOFABISCUIT said...  No clarification necessary.

• Love 1

Let's see...mass shootings, assassinations, bombings, kidnappings, violent protests, cattle rustling, horse thievery, corruption, jaywalking (maybe), and a shootout at a diner.  Seems like a nice quaint and bucolic location to build a resort.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

I think I have seen snow maybe twice in this show. One was just a dusting on the ground and another was flurries. great place for a ski resort. Wouldn't that change how the cattle are maintained and what the cowboys have to do?  They show beautiful scenic shots always with green trees. Seeing the area with snow would be beautiful also. Guess they jyst way to film in warm weather. 

• Love 3
On 12/18/2021 at 5:28 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Why did Dutton ask Rip if Kayce knew about Teeter being branded? What's it to Kayce?

I think it was about the fact that Kayce never told his dad and/or making sure a Dutton approved the branding and it wasn't done by non-authorized personnel.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

We have been binging this season over the holidays and are disgusted at the escalated violence and the mistreatment of the kid. At one point I said "so they threw him around in the stables and then left him in there in the same dirty clothes (and presumably underwear) and banged up face for about a week?" The only lesson that will teach him is how to become a psychopath.

Are we the only ones who think the Duttons are essentially entitled rich white brutes and, in the case of Rip and Beth, sadists? Are we supposed to think that these two assholes are interesting?

This season is non-stop brutality with occasional scenery porn.

Beth has become a comic book villain. All she does is smoke, drink, show her tits, and snarl. I am so disappointed in how the producers and writers have developed her character. Are they all 14 years old?

Don't get me started on the bunkhouse bunny scenario.

• Like 2
  • Love 9

This was the first episode this season that I really engaged with. 

I wonder why. Well, partly it's because something big (if outlandish) finally happened, i.e. John throwing his hat in the gubernatorial ring. But I think the key to the whole series is Jamie, strange as that sounds. Even though he's the weakest sibling, his very weakness makes him the biggest threat to the Dutton Empire. He's like a Shakespearean villain--dangerous not because of his strength but because of his character flaws. The episodes in which his bond developed with bio-dad were a bore, because that bond wasn't accompanied by an urge to destroy. Now it will be.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

This was the first episode this season that I really engaged with. 

I wonder why. Well, partly it's because something big (if outlandish) finally happened, i.e. John throwing his hat in the gubernatorial ring. But I think the key to the whole series is Jamie, strange as that sounds. Even though he's the weakest sibling, his very weakness makes him the biggest threat to the Dutton Empire. He's like a Shakespearean villain--dangerous not because of his strength but because of his character flaws. The episodes in which his bond developed with bio-dad were a bore, because that bond wasn't accompanied by an urge to destroy. Now it will be.

I like this take- even if it’s giving Taylor Sheridan more credit than I would want to give ...it’s a really interesting way of looking at it

• Love 1
(edited)
On 12/15/2021 at 9:42 AM, mledawn said:

The scene where the Mo and Kayce and the Indigenous riders take the horses back to the reserve was beautiful. The horses in flight and the music was just gorgeous. 

Beth leaking the plans to Piper was a nice touch.

Rip saying “We got that stray kid” to John was a good laugh.

That scene was indeed beautiful and worth watching the episode, as was John "asking" Rip to move into the big house and Rip trying to wiggle out and looking so uncomfortable thinking about banging Beth two doors away from her dad's bedroom. Carter will be happy though. 

Speaking of Carter, I was so glad when he said he'd take his chances with a foster home. I hate that Rip and Beth think it's ok for him to wear the same clothes day in and day out and make him sleep in the barn weeks after the incident in the clothing store. He seems to have been a decent kid stuck in horrible circumstances, not a juvenile delinquent with a long record. He acted out but apologized for it, works hard, does what he's told, and learns quickly. I'm tired of seeing the same stains on his worn-out t-shirt, which seems to be all he has, and I hope that backpack held a couple pairs of underwear and socks because it's looks like he isn't even allowed to wash his clothes since we see him sleeping in them. Withholding basic items like clean clothing is abuse. I guess he is allowed to use the bunkhouse toilet and shower because a 14-year-old is going to stink after that work. Couldn't Beth have given him a couple of clean shirts and a pair of cotton pants to sleep in at least? This continuing cruel treatment of his character in the effort to break him down and then "make him a man" is stupid and one of the many things now turning me off this show. 

On 12/15/2021 at 1:25 PM, MaggieG said:

I'd love to know more, too. The first time he appeared some episodes ago I was just glad for an answer to my question of how the heck meals magically appeared on the table. 

On 12/16/2021 at 7:13 AM, BeckyThatcher said:

The writing is painful. The scene with Avery talking about “love at first sight” equals an immature writer’s daydream or a beautiful girl professing her love for him. 

Seriously. And it was like if she insisted enough that it was "love at first sight" then he'd dump Monica that very day. Such immature thinking but I'm getting the impression that Kayce feels the attraction, too, and denies it and it will cause a crisis. I think Monica will be gone early in S5; in fact I'm hoping for it.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2

Beth is an entitled disgusting vile chain smoking alcoholic low class creep. Everything she says is some sarcastic snap and then she walks away. They are all killers or murderers or bullies. What a disgusting family. And they brand their hired help? 

And why did they shoe horn in Summer? Is it because her husband is the director of many episodes so they gave her a job? What a collection of unlikeable characters. And Rip forced old man Lloyd to fight? Rip pits the guys against each other like it is Ancient Rome and they are gladiators. He will take them to the train station. I would like to take him to jail. 

I never watched this show and binge watched all seasons to season 4 after I watched 1883 and the first two episodes of 1923.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1