Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Little Black Dress

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

Am I alone in thinking that Carrie (and SJP) would look so much better with a shorter, softer hair style parted on the side?  

I said the same thing in the pilot episode. The middle part and waist length hair is aging her. I thought she looked best in S5 when she had the wavy bob. 

• Love 8
57 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I said the same thing in the pilot episode. The middle part and waist length hair is aging her. I thought she looked best in S5 when she had the wavy bob. 

The bob was one of her best looks. Carrie is following the trend that's been going a while now of older women having very long hair (usually extensions). My hair is a bit below my shoulders and I'm not at all one of those "older women should have short hair!" types. It's just that, yes, this kind of very long hair does make one look older rather than younger as they hope and believe. 

Charlotte's hair looks good!

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 7

I always had a powerful dislike of Stanford Blatch.  His friendship never seemed selfless -- quite the opposite, he was there to get what he could from Carrie, leeching off her name and notoriety.   His jokes were lame, his outfits pretentious and his personality cloying and artificial.   His reprehensible behavior in this episode validated every negative feeling I ever had towards the character.  

Which is not to say Carrie isn't an asshole herself.   She uses Stanford like an accessory.  They really deserve each other.

• Love 12
On 12/15/2021 at 3:11 PM, LegalParrot81 said:

One character returning is not going to save this.  When the writing is horrendous, it's an up hill battle.

I was being facetious. Although I did miss Samantha in the episodes. 

• Love 1

I can’t believe that I really like Miranda’s hair.  I love red hair (it runs in my family), but hers seemed too harsh to me years ago. I like her softer look.  

Her and Steve’s tolerance of their son’s bedroom activity is outrageous and I can’t really buy it.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Her bob was so cute!

I think she could look great at this age with longer hair but this wig makes it look like she is in her 70’s. It might be the severe shape or the chunky streaks.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, millennium said:

I always had a powerful dislike of Stanford Blatch.  His friendship never seemed selfless -- quite the opposite, he was there to get what he could from Carrie, leeching off her name and notoriety.   His jokes were lame, his outfits pretentious and his personality cloying and artificial.   His reprehensible behavior in this episode validated every negative feeling I ever had towards the character.  

Which is not to say Carrie isn't an asshole herself.   She uses Stanford like an accessory.  They really deserve each other.

I never liked Stanford.   He was whiny.  He was bitchy.  And honestly I saw no need for his character.  If I remember correctly he only had one scene away from Carrie, him in the gay bar. I much prefer Anthony.

• Love 9
On 12/9/2021 at 9:13 PM, sashayshante said:

I really hope they give Sara Ramirez's character more depth. I found them super grating. Who the fuck gives a kid they don't know a hit of pot?

Yessssssssssssssss.

On 12/9/2021 at 10:10 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Charlotte could be emotional but she had PERFECT manners. She would never make Big’s death about her. I could see her breaking down with Harry/the girls, but she would hold it together for Carrie. 

She's proven to be the best in a crisis when we remember Miranda's mother passing.  Obviously, Big would be harder for Charlotte, but I really agree with you.

• Love 4
On 12/10/2021 at 3:40 AM, Lethallyfab said:

I think the actress is most memorable for her voice, not her face.  Susan Sharon is from early on (Season 2, Episode 2, “The Awful Truth,” to be exact, and, yes, I googled!) - she was in an emotionally and verbally abusive relationship with her husband, stayed with Carrie for a while to avoid said husband, gave Carrie a cashmere pashmina that Carrie returned for the money (cue the pun ‘why do you think they call it CASHmere?’), was regifted Charlotte’s yappy dog when Charlotte didn’t want said dog anymore (Elizabeth Taylor would NEVER!) and somehow that dog fixed the problems in her abusive marriage.  Absolutely nothing happened on-screen then or since to indicate why she was so icy towards Carrie or her friends in this episode - it was all just “she knows what she did!”  Okay, but the audience…doesn’t?

Speaking of Hitachi Magic Wands, one of my favorite moments is when Samantha has to return her “back massager” and advises all the gals in the store how to purchase the best “back massager.”

Something cool about Susan Sharon is that she is based on Dorinda Medley from The Real Housewives of New York.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 12/13/2021 at 5:05 PM, qtpye said:

SJP really took the criticism that Carrie is the weakest of the friend group to heart. There is some talk that in the revival the other ladies might suffer in comparison to make her character look better. Like Charlotte was never this self-centered caterwauling useless mess that she was in the second episode.

And when was Miranda such a try hard to the point of micro aggression?

So, so, so 100% true.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I can’t believe that I really like Miranda’s hair.  I love red hair (it runs in my family), but hers seemed too harsh to me years ago. I like her softer look.  

For a natural blonde, I always thought red hair on Cynthia looked a bit garish. Like an obvious dye job. Which sucks because I think red hair looks very cool. 

I prefer her natural hair for this show.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I never liked Stanford.   He was whiny.  He was bitchy.  And honestly I saw no need for his character.  If I remember correctly he only had one scene away from Carrie, him in the gay bar. I much prefer Anthony.

Anthony's a riot.

I couldn't believe the writers married him off to Stanford.

• Love 8

I don't find anything gross about Brady and Luisa's scene. In fact, most television about teens these days has some really mean and unpleasant sex scenes (think of 13 Reasons Why or Euphoria) that don't really bear resemblance to reality. I thought it was sweet that Brady and Luisa actually seem to - shock, horror - like each other and were having fun. The only thing Miranda and Steve need to do is to talk to him about consideration for others in the house when it comes to noise and leaving things lying about.

But also, it's played for laughs really, that's the point. I noticed it was becoming a topic of discussion in the media, like on The View, with people getting outraged by it. I guess it's a cultural thing and I just don't get it. Because in my country no one really freaks out about their kids having sex in their house or thinks it's a bad thing. It's generally considered a good thing, so the parents know they are safe and not in a car in the dark somewhere. The reality is they ARE going to do it, and you can't stop it, so it's best to go with a situation that is much safer. No one wants their kids in danger, surely.

• Love 4
On 12/20/2021 at 2:30 AM, SuzieSioux said:

But also, it's played for laughs really, that's the point. I noticed it was becoming a topic of discussion in the media, like on The View, with people getting outraged by it. I guess it's a cultural thing and I just don't get it. Because in my country no one really freaks out about their kids having sex in their house or thinks it's a bad thing. It's generally considered a good thing, so the parents know they are safe and not in a car in the dark somewhere. The reality is they ARE going to do it, and you can't stop it, so it's best to go with a situation that is much safer. No one wants their kids in danger, surely.

You're right; it is something many or most American parents struggle with.  Parents know birth control isn't perfect even when used perfectly, so they worry about that and many other things. 

I would think, though, even in a more sexually open society, parents still make house rules about not having your girlfriend over every night. because she doesn't live there  And, if you're having sex, be considerate and don't wake the neighborhood.   And I would expect them to teach their kid not to be rude at a children's recital, or anywhere else, but Brady seems perpetually set on obnoxious and self-centered.

• Love 6
On 12/9/2021 at 6:33 PM, Lebanna said:

I liked most of the funeral but the eulogy, read by Miranda, was terrible. For a second I thought it was supposed to be a ‘someone stop her, she’s drunk’ moment, but then I realized that it was intended to be beautiful and emotional. I can only assume that we’re supposed to think that Carrie was never was much of a writer.

Loved the support of the friends for each other, the realism about just taking a bit of medicine to get through the pain, and Charlotte’s terrifying plan to donate the secondhand funeral lox.

I thought the same thing re: the bolded!  She was speaking the words too clearly, like she knew she was drunk and didn't want to mess up.  Carrie is a terrible writer, so I like your theory that they were just cementing that, but I don't think the writers of the show actually ever thought Carrie was a terrible writer.

On 12/9/2021 at 7:40 PM, Lethallyfab said:

It would be difficult not to reference it, but I thought the flowers were a nice callback to the episode where Miranda’s mom died where a bunch of white flowers sent Charlotte into the conniption of “I wanted to say ‘sorry for your loss,’ not ‘you’re dead, let’s disco’ “ and here they’re just what was needed.

I presume a man as business and legal-minded as Big would already have had his funeral and estate and will plans planned out prior to his death, but I’m betting that for the dramatic factor, something is going to introduce a wrinkle.

Reveal spoiler

They’re been indications that Natasha is returning - what if he never updated the will from their marriage and now Carrie has to battle in court?

That is a really funny Charlotte quote.  Thanks for the reminder!  Though, I remember actually thinking the floral arrangement, that she was referring, to wasn't that bad.  I guess I would have to rewatch and see if my opinion was wrong then lol.

On 12/10/2021 at 5:54 AM, Aulty said:

Also, is it just me or was that bleak, cold gallery funeral not really in line with the Big character? He sure liked the elegant and exquisite things in life - but the vintage leather, whiskey and cigars version.

I don't know-- I feel like his old apartment was pretty modern looking.  The one with the wall that he ended up painting red.  I guess that was because Natasha had decorated it.  

On 12/10/2021 at 12:09 PM, Jillybean said:

With Susan Sharon, Bitsy, etc. in the mix I really think they just brought back as many bit players from the series as possible in order to attempt to mollify the Samantha fans who are disappointed by her absence. I'm a big Samantha fan and the presence of random characters who were in 1-2 episodes is merely annoying. I do like the implication that Carrie pissed off Susan Sharon without knowing why, it speaks to how self-absorbed Carrie has always been. Now we know she alienated both Samantha and SS. Though I agree with everyone who has already stated the reason for Samantha's absence has been poorly executed and doesn't ring true to the character. Carrie introduced Miranda as her ride-or-die. Nope. That was always Samantha.

On 12/10/2021 at 1:47 PM, luna1122 said:

I always thought of Miranda as Carrie's #1 BFF. 

I agree that I always thought of Miranda as her #1 best friend.  I would say that Samantha would be the only other contender, as I don't think she and Charlotte ever had as strong of a bond as Carrie did with the other 2 girls, but for me it's Miranda for the Ride-or-Die title.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:03 PM, MartyQui said:

*Was* there a deeper level to Carrie?  I never really thought so.

I think they really thought that eulogy, that was written by Carrie, was supposed to impress us, and make us think she was real deep.  

its a no from me dawg GIF

On 12/10/2021 at 10:23 PM, BitterApple said:

I'm not trying to be ageist here, but there comes a point when middle-parted, slicked back hair is a no-no. I think the styling is making SJP look so haggard. I appreciate that she hasn't gone nuts with the plastic surgery, but she would look so much better if she did the wavy, shoulder-length bob she had in S6. 

I don't think she needs to have short hair, but I do agree that the harsh, slicked back hair--like she wore at the funeral with her silly hat--is a terrible look for her, and it gives me a headache just looking at it!

On 12/11/2021 at 7:15 AM, chediavolo said:

Sick of the wokeness angle already. I’m glad I’m not a “hip” nyc dweller who is supposed to know what the fuck to perfectly say to persons of color & people who are not straight but, since no one can read minds, don’t know if the person is male or female or ?  And then get ripped a new asshole for calling someone he. Etc etc.   It’s exhausting where I live & I live amongst hillbillies. 

Carries dress was nice & age appropriate this episode. In the first one she looked like an aging loon. You are almost 60, some if your fashion choices were dicey decades ago but will now make you look like a crazy old woman.  As for the wrinkles etc. don’t they say it’s either the face or the figure? 

speaking of faces, Charlotte needs to stop the fillers & plastic surgery. 
Miranda & family are grating.  Sanford is horrible. 
Not loving this so far but will watch. 

Your comment about living amongst hillbillies cracked me up! 😄  The bolded part of your post reminded me of that episode when Carrie gets stuck in the rain, and goes to that diner where the old crazy lady is sprinkling lithium on her ice cream.  That will be Carrie soon.

On 12/11/2021 at 12:51 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

.I love the first movie--I genuinely cry at the New Year's montage. "You're not alone. You're not alone." That's beautiful. And that gorgeous rendering over Auld Lang Syne over it all.

That part always makes me cry, too!  How can the same people create a beautiful sequence like that, and then also create Jennifer Hudson's cringey, awkward, TERRIBLE line (and for the director to not correct her delivery of the horrendous dialogue):  "MY VERY OWN LOUIS VUITTON??!!!"  Ughhhh - I am cringing now, just typing it out.

On 12/12/2021 at 11:11 AM, luna1122 said:

People keep mentioning that Steve's being written a hatchet job or they're making him lame so we'll cheer for Miranda to dump him...is this just cuz he's lost his hearing? I do think they're making ALL the characters seem older than they are, which is super annoying, but how else is Steve coming off as character-destroying? He's seemed sweet and kind and a little goofy, like Steve always did, to me, just...deafer. 

Yep.  Still seems like the same old Steve to me, just a little older.  🤷‍♀️

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

I thought the same thing re: the bolded!  She was speaking the words too clearly, like she knew she was drunk and didn't want to mess up.  Carrie is a terrible writer, so I like your theory that they were just cementing that, but I don't think the writers of the show actually ever thought Carrie was a terrible writer.

That is a really funny Charlotte quote.  Thanks for the reminder!  Though, I remember actually thinking the floral arrangement, that she was referring, to wasn't that bad.  I guess I would have to rewatch and see if my opinion was wrong then lol.

I don't know-- I feel like his old apartment was pretty modern looking.  The one with the wall that he ended up painting red.  I guess that was because Natasha had decorated it.  

I agree that I always thought of Miranda as her #1 best friend.  I would say that Samantha would be the only other contender, as I don't think she and Charlotte ever had as strong of a bond as Carrie did with the other 2 girls, but for me it's Miranda for the Ride-or-Die title.

I think they really thought that eulogy, that was written by Carrie, was supposed to impress us, and make us think she was real deep.  

its a no from me dawg GIF

I don't think she needs to have short hair, but I do agree that the harsh, slicked back hair--like she wore at the funeral with her silly hat--is a terrible look for her, and it gives me a headache just looking at it!

Your comment about living amongst hillbillies cracked me up! 😄  The bolded part of your post reminded me of that episode when Carrie gets stuck in the rain, and goes to that diner where the old crazy lady is sprinkling lithium on her ice cream.  That will be Carrie soon.

That part always makes me cry, too!  How can the same people create a beautiful sequence like that, and then also create Jennifer Hudson's cringey, awkward, TERRIBLE line (and for the director to not correct her delivery of the horrendous dialogue):  "MY VERY OWN LOUIS VUITTON??!!!"  Ughhhh - I am cringing now, just typing it out.

Well, except the lack of interest in sex part. 

6 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

Well, except the lack of interest in sex part. 

I feel like the lack of interest in sex is on Miranda's part, it was before. Or anyway, she no longer wants to bang Steve. I kind of hope he's got a girlfriend. 

Poor Steve. He shoulda stayed with Debbie. She was beautiful, kind, uncomplicated and she loved him. 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

I feel like the lack of interest in sex is on Miranda's part, it was before. Or anyway, she no longer wants to bang Steve. I kind of hope he's got a girlfriend. 

Poor Steve. He shoulda stayed with Debbie. She was beautiful, kind, uncomplicated and she loved him. 

I agree!  Debbie was sweet and she liked clowns.  Carrie had to be the that “ahh, i’m scared of clowns!” person, because she so craves being the center of attention, at all times, that she even wants to steal the thunder of a 1yr old on their birthday.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

and then also create Jennifer Hudson's cringey, awkward, TERRIBLE line (and for the director to not correct her delivery of the horrendous dialogue):  "MY VERY OWN LOUIS VUITTON??!!!"  Ughhhh - I am cringing now, just typing it out.

The biggest part of the cringe is that it was the ugliest LV bag I have ever seen.  I still yell at the TV when that scene is on about why the fuck wouldn't Carrie buy a classic LV bag instead of that ugly, matches nothing bag.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
35 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

The biggest part of the cringe is that it was the ugliest LV bag I have ever seen.  I still yell at the TV when that scene is on about why the fuck wouldn't Carrie buy a classic LV bag instead of that ugly, matches nothing bag.

You are so right!  How could I have forgotten to mention how disgusting said LV was? 🤢 I mean, I don’t want to get too off-topic, but yes, Louise is all of us, who don’t have a real designer bag, and would just want a classic, more practical bag, that would go with everything.  Leave it to Carrie, though, to pick the tackiest of the bunch! 

ETA:  Carrie is so self absorbed, she picks the one SHE would want.

Edited by Miss Bones
Carrie is annoying
  • Love 5
On 12/23/2021 at 11:16 AM, Miss Bones said:

I'm not trying to be ageist here, but there comes a point when middle-parted, slicked back hair is a no-no. I think the styling is making SJP look so haggard. I appreciate that she hasn't gone nuts with the plastic surgery, but she would look so much better if she did the wavy, shoulder-length bob she had in S6. 

She heard you.  LOL   The promos for Plaza Suite, her hair is shorter and looks really good.

FHFPKNELWNCAXG5TXILWEGTWUE.jpg

Edited by LegalParrot81
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, LegalParrot81 said:

She heard you.  LOL   The promos for Plaza Suite, her hair is shorter and looks really good.

Hmm, but that wasn't my quote.  Weird.  I do agree about the slicked hair looking terrible on her, though.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, LegalParrot81 said:

She does look nice and much younger.

1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

She looks like Vera Farmiga here. 

That's a compliment. 

Vera is one of my favorite actresses and she is quite pretty.

• Love 3
On 12/9/2021 at 9:13 PM, sashayshante said:

I laughed out loud when Susan Sharon said what many viewers were probably thinking. "Am I the only one that remembers what a prick he was to her?" Because he was. He left her at the altar for fuck's sake.

I saw this clip and didn't know who this woman was.  Now that my memory has been refreshed, why was that loud mouth, obnoxious woman even there?  She never struck me as a presence in Carrie's life and certainly not enough to know about the inner workings of her relationship with Big.  And finally, who says something like that at a funeral?  This is the kind of OTT crap I could never sit through.

On 12/10/2021 at 12:36 AM, slowpoked said:

While I have always been Team Aiden, I’ve long accepted the fact that Big was always the endgame, and so while the funeral was sad, I’m glad someone still brought up the fact that he was such a prick to her for the longest time, playing a lot of mind games with her, etc. 

What mind games did Big play with Carrie? And if you're able to point a few out, I'd have to do the same for Carrie.  Besides not meeting her at the altar, just how was he "such a prick" to her? 

On 12/10/2021 at 8:17 AM, Hana Chan said:

Someone on TikTok made a comment that Big winning Carrie sent a bad message that the fuckboy would win over the decent guy. I'll agree to that to a point because Carrie is a fuckgirl. She's just as manipulative and selfish...

I wouldn't call Big a fuckboy.  But I'm glad to see someone attributing accurate traits to Carrie.  Also, what decent guys are you talking about?  Aidan struck me as pretty clingy.  

On 12/10/2021 at 10:12 AM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Finally, I don’t know how it is in middle America, but ain’t no…damned…way would I even think it okay for my teenaged son to fuck in MY house!  What in the bluedilly hell was that about?  And for him to back talk her the way he did?  Ut-huh, see this is why I don’t have kids.

Ditto.

On 12/10/2021 at 10:13 AM, Yeah No said:

I was never particularly team Big but I was definitely never team Aidan.  Aidan played mind games with Carrie in his own way.  He almost broke up with her because she smoked and then lied about it because she knew he made it a deal breaker.  I think that said it all, and his love, IMO was not unconditional.  Big on the other hand may have been skittish about commitment and had other conflicts getting in the way of their ending up together but those were eventually resolved.  And wow, I would never categorize Big as a fuckboy or Aidan as the "decent guy".  There was a lot more going on between Big and Carrie than him being a fuckboy.  Those are labels easily slapped onto them if only looking surface deep.  And Aidan, IMO was a little self absorbed and always seemed to want her to be someone else.  He never came off as getting her on a deeper level.

All of this.

On 12/10/2021 at 1:47 PM, luna1122 said:

So Big had a brother and a secretary we never knew about. 

We always knew Big had a secretary, we just never saw her.  I didn't know he had a brother, but then I'd have to be watching this crap to know that I guess.

On 12/11/2021 at 10:07 AM, ChitChat said:

I'm not watching the show (I don't have HBO), so I'm going by the posts.  

I have HBO, but I'm taking a hard pass.  P.S.  I love your little kitty cat avatar.

On 12/11/2021 at 6:21 PM, PRgal said:

Che is non-binary (but born female), so I'm not sure what one would call a relationship with them other than...queer.  Perhaps Miranda is fluid then?  I'm not even sure what terms we're supposed to be using anymore.  

Miranda sounds like she's become Cynthia Nixon.  Whatever CN is, it should not be forced on Miranda who made it perfectly clear she was straight eons ago.  

On 12/15/2021 at 11:27 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

I feel like Big became that Holy Grail for Carrie, not so much love but obsession.  He treated her badly, leaving her at the alter, not taking no for an answer when she was dating Aiden and he suddenly had to have her, ruining that relationship for her and him cheating wth Carrie in his marital bed and ruining his marriage, they each gave as good as they got. I do believe they loved each other but it did not seem like it was a healthy relationship...he told her he did not want to get married but she forged a campaign to marry him, they did and then she gave him a hard time about wanting to watch tv in bed, something she knew he enjoyed, she wanted to go out for dinner every night and he wanted to stay home, for her it was always her way.

I still say that look in his eyes prior to dying was of disappointment that she was not reading the room and running for his nitro pills then pushing him over in to the running shower.

Carrie ruined her relationship with Aiden.  Big did not force her into bed at gun point.  She never got over him and she wanted to have her cake and eat it, too. 

On 12/23/2021 at 12:16 PM, Miss Bones said:

That entire scene was cringe worthy,  and the purse was HIDEOUS.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TaurusRose said:

That entire scene was cringe worthy,  and the purse was HIDEOUS.

Of course it's hideous, it's Louis Vuitton. (NOT a fan. I hate the logo obsession, I hate how heavy and dark and un-fun they are and I haaaaaaated the cherries.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 6