Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Little Black Dress

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Carolina Girl said:

Actually, thanks to bad weather and a lack of college football this weekend, I decided to rewatch the series from the beginning.  And nope, I can't see a think Carrie did that would have created a problem.  In fact, when she gets engaged to Aidan, she runs into Sharon and the latter is very very excited to hear the news and there isn't a HINT of any problem between the two of them.  

And man, rewatching this series?  Made me remember that I found Carrie to be a needy, self-absorbed and selfish individual.  For instance, from the preview next week it looks like they run into Natasha and bash on her.  The way they did in the original series.  What the HELL was Natasha's crime?  She married Big.  She was nice to Carrie when she met her.  Never said or did a damn thing to her, yet Carrie calls her an "idiot" for using the wrong form of "there" on a thank you note.  Tell you what, frizzy-hair girl - you HAND write 400 thank you notes without making a mistake.   And then cheats with Big in Natasha's bed.  Which to me is the lowest form of behavior.  Natasha breaks a tooth and then, of course, Natasha MUST listen to Carrie's apology in public.  She was sure nicer than I would have been in that situation.  I would have ordered a sticky red drink and thrown in right in her self-entitled "I need to make an apology so you have to listen, even if you don't want to" face.  

I think I'll be going week to week and read the comments here before I invest the 30 minutes to watch the episode.  Although the eagle-eye forum posters (t/m Television Without Pity) also spot things to look for in the episode that I might miss.  

49 minutes ago, Lethallyfab said:

And then Carrie pulled the EXACT same “you have to listen to and acknowledge my apology in public and completely accept it” move with the “yikes” face girl who dated Aiden after her.  The thing about apologies is they have to be given sincerely and freely, the recipient does *not* have to automatically accept them.

I would have fully appreciated a “19XX-2021” caption on the slideshow at Big’s funeral.  Did we ever get a canonical age on him during the series?  He was always written as older than Carrie, complete with her making old man jokes at him and him always calling her “kid,” but was he 10 years older?  15?  (IMDB says SJP and Noth are 11 years apart.)

It’s the New Yorker, so it may be behind a paywall if you’ve reached your limit, but I always thought that this “Difficult Women” article by Emily Nussbaum is fascinating — she argues that SATC is dismissed while shows like ‘The Sopranos’ were praised at the time even though Carrie was also a morally ambiguous anti-hero(ine) as well (such as the cheating on Aidan) while making a lot of astute points about the sexist nature of the shows criticisms.

SJP really took the criticism that Carrie is the weakest of the friend group to heart. There is some talk that in the revival the other ladies might suffer in comparison to make her character look better. Like Charlotte was never this self-centered caterwauling useless mess that she was in the second episode.

And when was Miranda such a try hard to the point of micro aggression?

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
On 12/11/2021 at 4:34 PM, violet and green said:

Especially the line which read:

"He left a large...hole." I guess she couldn't say "big hole"!

She did say “big hole.”  With a huge pause between “big” and “hole.”

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

SJP really took the criticism that Carrie is the weakest of the friend group to heart. There is some talk that in the revival the other ladies might suffer in comparison to make her character look better. Like Charlotte was never this self-centered caterwauling useless mess that she was in the second episode.

And when was Miranda such a try hard to the point of micro aggression?

That reminds me of the friend you have that only feels GOOD about themselves when they are picking apart other people.  Carrie must be a better person in THIS series so Miranda, Charlotte and hell, even Samantha are made to appear very flawed.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

I would have fully appreciated a “19XX-2021” caption on the slideshow at Big’s funeral.  Did we ever get a canonical age on him during the series?  He was always written as older than Carrie, complete with her making old man jokes at him and him always calling her “kid,” but was he 10 years older?  15?  (IMDB says SJP and Noth are 11 years apart.)

If Carrie was 32 when the show started, I assumed Big was between 45-48, which would’ve had him born between 1950-1953, so he’d have been between 71-68 yrs old. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

If Carrie was 32 when the show started, I assumed Big was between 45-48, which would’ve had him born between 1950-1953, so he’d have been between 71-68 yrs old. 

I have found a few articles online that list Big's birthday as April 7, 1955, which would make him 66 years old.  Given that Chris Noth is 67, that would make sense.  Carrie Bradshaw's birthday is listed as October 10, 1968, which would make her 53.  SJP is actually 56.  These birthdays were supposedly mentioned in either the first series or one of the movies.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I have found a few articles online that list Big's birthday as April 7, 1955, which would make him 66 years old.  Given that Chris Noth is 67, that would make sense.  Carrie Bradshaw's birthday is listed as October 10, 1968, which would make her 53.  SJP is actually 56.  These birthdays were supposedly mentioned in either the first series or one of the movies.

I thought in one of these first episodes it was mentioned that Big was 66. Carrie made a joke that when she "turned 45" (when she would actually be 55), she would own up to it -- haha. So she's 53 or 54. We learned that  Charlotte is 55, and I think Miranda is also. Many of the characters were going out of their way to announce ages. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Thanks!

• Love 2

many times people who are close to the deceased, such as a wife or daughter, will write something, but have a friend say it at the funeral.

I too got the impression that they may have Miranda become an alcoholic.  perhaps drinking during the pandemic, but i took it as her being uncomfortable in certain situations and reaching for alcohol to 'steady' herself, i.e. going into a classroom with a bunch of 20 year olds, speaking at a funeral, etc., and bringing it to the recital was just an 'add on' of how much she enjoys the feeling.

i was also a bit surprised at the loud sex of Brady and girlfriend, and that the girlfriend is allowed to spend the night.  i too would think that teens would keep their sex more on the 'down low' especially if parents are around.  

if Brady is actually 17, as Miranda said (and Brady didn't correct her), that would fit in with the apparent ages of Lily and Rose.  it does seem like all of the kids were aged down a bit, perhaps only 14 years since the show ended (Brady around 3, Lily 2-3, Rose just born).

Yes, Miranda's gray hair makes her look a little older, but she looks great.  honestly, they all do, for being in their 50s.  Charlotte maybe could pass for her 40s, but not by much.

I definitely recognized the name Susan Sharon, but i can't for the life of me remember her story line bit.

• Love 2

Samantha cut Carrie out of her life because Carrie did not want to use her as a publicist any more since the book biz has changed...okay but if Carrie had kept Samantha on as a PR person maybe Samantha would have talked her out of doing that shitty, sophomoric podcast where she was supposed to talk about her masturbation habits.  Why if Che was so cutting edge and wanted to talk about things that mattered why masturbation, surely there are many more facets of relationships to talk about, something that is a bit more high brow than self diddling. 

Why did they have to make Anthony and Stanford fight? Couldn't we see a happy couple?

Steve, I never thought much of him and apparently neither do the writers, they made him a doddering old man and Miranda has to announce the percentage of hearing loss in each ear?  Also, I would have kicked that girl out of the house, just because you like her does not mean they can treat your house like a flop house for horny teens.  Why would Miranda not insist Brady clean up the condoms, wash the sheets and hit the books? Miranda is supposed to be a savvy NY lawyer and she walks in to class and makes the most idiotic statements, I would have thought her breakfast wine would have mellowed her out.  If that was the first day of class how did that student know where the teacher typically sat?

Charlotte and her kids, of course Lily would have the discipline to master the piano and wear a great dress doing it and of course Rose would be the difficult child insisting on wearing that stupid shirt, hat and shoes with couture just to piss off mom, if you know your daughter does not want to wear dresses then why buy one and then get upset when she says no thank you, the writers lack imagination, this is what you get.

I do not think the writers like women or like to write for women, so many times the writers give the most pathetic lines to women who are supposed to be savvy New Yorkers.  I just finished watching the movies and hated them because they seemed to want to be a mad cap comedy and a complex relationship like drama, episode one in the new series and I still do not see an honest conversation between the women, it has been decades, can't they open up to each other easily by now?

Carrie stood at the bathroom door staring at Big, does not call 911 and does not run for his nitro pills, I think the look in Big's eyes were of sheer disappointment in her not doing either, the pills firstly, EMT's would have been too late. Why would she push him over in to the shower stream, he was fine leaning against the wall, so many questions.

My take away from the first episode is that I really want to re-do my closet.

This is the last episode I will be watching, not because I don't want to but I could only watch one episode as a preview...and just like that I have saved myself $14.99 a month!

• Love 17
19 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Samantha cut Carrie out of her life because Carrie did not want to use her as a publicist any more since the book biz has changed...okay but if Carrie had kept Samantha on as a PR person maybe Samantha would have talked her out of doing that shitty, sophomoric podcast where she was supposed to talk about her masturbation habits.  Why if Che was so cutting edge and wanted to talk about things that mattered why masturbation, surely there are many more facets of relationships to talk about, something that is a bit more high brow than self diddling. 

This crossed my mind, too, and made me laugh. Because for all of Carrie shitting on Samantha, Samantha's so good at her job that Carrie wouldn't be doing this podcast. 

Also, tacky of them to glorify public masturbation and act like it's a cool, funny thing that happens. It's disgusting, not edgy. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 14
15 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Samantha cut Carrie out of her life because Carrie did not want to use her as a publicist any more since the book biz has changed

I have a serious problem with this rationale.  The book biz did not change as far as I can see - if anything, there are even MORE outlets to promote a book - more talk shows, more late-night shows, even more cable news shows which can use a bit of distraction and fluff.  Plus they still have launch parties and book signings.  Seriously, this is what they want me to believe?  Maybe they're trying to imply that the literary agent would be doing these things, but someone must tell me what PR Samantha would have done for the previous books that would not be required for any future books.  

Am I missing something?

• Love 6

17 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

Also, tacky of them to glorify public masturbation and act like it's a cool, funny thing that happens. It's disgusting, not edgy. 

I certainly didn't find the bum pleasuring himself on a BART train one morning to be "edgy, cool or funny."

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, Carolina Girl said:

Maybe they're trying to imply that the literary agent would be doing these things, but someone must tell me what PR Samantha would have done for the previous books that would not be required for any future books.  

And correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't Samantha being representing Carrie the person and not just Carrie the author?

31 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

If that was the first day of class how did that student know where the teacher typically sat?

Also during that scene how was Miranda supposed to know the student she called him was actually them?    The writers are throwing in a bunch of stuff that feels like they are just throwing it in to say see we get it.  But in reality no they do not get it.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Carolina Girl said:

I have a serious problem with this rationale.  The book biz did not change as far as I can see - if anything, there are even MORE outlets to promote a book - more talk shows, more late-night shows, even more cable news shows which can use a bit of distraction and fluff.  Plus they still have launch parties and book signings.  Seriously, this is what they want me to believe?  Maybe they're trying to imply that the literary agent would be doing these things, but someone must tell me what PR Samantha would have done for the previous books that would not be required for any future books.  

Am I missing something?

Yes, many different ways to promote a book, a tv appearance, anything a good PR person could book their client for, I was quoting Carrie's explanation for why Samantha booked it to London and cut off communication.  Samantha for all her faults, more than anyone understood sometimes it is just business and not personal so I find that a confusing reason why she ditched Carrie.  

The writers either think we all have amnesia about the women's accomplishments or we are stupid or they are lazy writers who are not really fond of women, SJP signs off on this stuff, she actually likes the writing?

2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Also during that scene how was Miranda supposed to know the student she called him was actually them?    The writers are throwing in a bunch of stuff that feels like they are just throwing it in to say see we get it.  But in reality no they do not get it.

Why are they trying to shove wokeness or  the lack there of down our gullets? First it is Miranda and her foot in mouth scene and then Carrie having to talk about self pleasure on the most basic immature level, isn't she a wordsmith, couldn't she have come up with something better to say and move on to the next topic?  

Charlotte is the most narrow minded of the group, as long as she stays in her UES bubble she should be fine.  

Am I correct in thinking we will be hate watching this show but enjoying the fashions?

• Love 7

I did like everything at the funeral besides Charlotte’s outfit, but some of the recent on-set pics have been major yikes on bikes regarding the fashions, then again some speculate those are fake scenes to throw off spoilers.

First, Cattrall, now Noth and even Patricia Field have said “I’m done with this mess.”  Field would rather work on Emily in Paris — EMILY IN PARIS, people!

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I was quoting Carrie's explanation for why Samantha booked it to London and cut off communication. 

Oh I know - I was commenting that the show was sloppy in ITS explanation of why for some reason Carrie believed she no longer needed a PR representative and Samantha up and moved to London.  It's like "oh, I didn't need her and she got pissed."  Makes no sense.  First of all, Samantha was a savvy lady.  If there was no need for PR for book authors, she would have been one of the FIRST people to see the writing on the wall.  

• Love 4
On 12/13/2021 at 3:13 PM, Lethallyfab said:

No joke, I thought SJP was older than Chris Noth.

On 12/13/2021 at 5:59 PM, Carolina Girl said:

That reminds me of the friend you have that only feels GOOD about themselves when they are picking apart other people.  Carrie must be a better person in THIS series so Miranda, Charlotte and hell, even Samantha are made to appear very flawed.  

The movies did this too.  Saint Carrie.  SJP's ego is out of control.

22 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Not just tacky, it is an actual sex crime.  I am seriously disturbed that the show is acting like it is a cool, new sex thing.  

19 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

As far as I'm concerned jury is still out on the fashions.

The jury is back... the fashion is horrible.  They need Patricia Field back, no one can do what she does.  Didn't her daughter work with her in the last few seasons?  Maybe they can at least convince her to return?

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 12/10/2021 at 11:33 AM, LegalParrot81 said:

Two episodes and I'm done.  Not enjoying this, which is a disappointment.  Personally, they should have left well enough alone, because sometimes bringing back something so many people loved isn't a good thing.

So far I'm in the same boat as I am with The Conners. I have no problem with them moving on from Roseanne, but the writing is just bad. Darlene and Jackie, once favorites in the original show, are insufferable now and throw Harris into that and you have a whole lot of unlikable squeezed into a half hour. I'm getting the same vibe with AJLT. I was excited when it was announced, but my thought is now, "be careful what you wish for."

The Brady situation is also a whole lot of uncomfortable. Sure, we had sex scenes like that on a weekly basis with Samantha in the original show, but she was a grown woman in her 40's. This is supposed to be two teenagers. I agree that it would be much more effective and tasteful to just hear the headboard hitting the wall in Miranda and Steve's room, than actually see two teens straddling each other. (I'm sorry, was that in the first episode, or second? Oh well.)

And THANK YOU Susan Sharon for saying what I was thinking, the entire time. YES. He was a prick to her for 10 fucking years AND left her at the altar. But in the BADDDDD movie (SATC2), I actually felt sorry for Big, being harped on constantly by Carrie, so maybe he was sufficiently paid back. 

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

And THANK YOU Susan Sharon for saying what I was thinking, the entire time. YES. He was a prick to her for 10 fucking years AND left her at the altar. But in the BADDDDD movie (SATC2), I actually felt sorry for Big, being harped on constantly by Carrie, so maybe he was sufficiently paid back. 

I feel like Big became that Holy Grail for Carrie, not so much love but obsession.  He treated her badly, leaving her at the alter, not taking no for an answer when she was dating Aiden and he suddenly had to have her, ruining that relationship for her and him cheating wth Carrie in his marital bed and ruining his marriage, they each gave as good as they got. I do believe they loved each other but it did not seem like it was a healthy relationship...he told her he did not want to get married but she forged a campaign to marry him, they did and then she gave him a hard time about wanting to watch tv in bed, something she knew he enjoyed, she wanted to go out for dinner every night and he wanted to stay home, for her it was always her way.

I still say that look in his eyes prior to dying was of disappointment that she was not reading the room and running for his nitro pills then pushing him over in to the running shower.

• Love 10
On 12/14/2021 at 11:15 AM, Carolina Girl said:

I certainly didn't find the bum pleasuring himself on a BART train one morning to be "edgy, cool or funny."

I guess I am sheltered because I can't think of one time when I have seen anyone masturbate in public.  Yet the guy on the podcast can't think of anywhere he HASN'T done it and Che  nods in agreement.   If everyone was like them,  imagine how much more uncomfortable your trip to the grocery store or gym would be!

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

I guess I am sheltered because I can't think of one time when I have seen anyone masturbate in public.  Yet the guy on the podcast can't think of anywhere he HASN'T done it and Che  nods in agreement.   If everyone was like them,  imagine how much more uncomfortable your trip to the grocery store or gym would be!

I think they booked Carrie on that podcast because it had to do with sex but over the seasons Carrie has mostly written about relationships and not the "where did you masturbate," question, had Che ever read one of Carrie's columns?  In no way am I sticking up for Carrie but it makes no sense that the host of a podcast would not investigate the guest's profession or her message to help decide if that person is the right fit for her podcast.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

I think the writers think they are writing this show to be cool or hip or whatever the term is now to describe whatever is cool or hip.  And is proving that if you have to show people how cool or hip or whatever you are then you aren't cool or hip or whatever.

Has anyone here listened to podcast about sex and heard people talk about masturbating in public?  It is still illegal right?  And gross.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Not just tacky, it is an actual sex crime.  I am seriously disturbed that the show is acting like it is a cool, new sex thing.  

I am too. I was a victim of this when I was barely a teen and it was frightening at that age. We can only hope the storyline leads to exactly this, stressing it’s a crime. 

• Love 4

I was in the airport in Prague, waiting for a flight, and the guy in the seat next to me was facetiming his girlfriend (I assume), with no headphones, and with his hand down his pants.  It was the grossest thing ever.  

On 12/11/2021 at 2:07 AM, RealHousewife said:

Katie cured her daughter and her boyfriend from doing that in their house by turning the tables on them and acting the same way.  LOL the kids were MORTIFIED and got the message.

Ha, I was thinking exactly that, that Steve and Miranda should start getting raunchy all over the house and be as loud as they can. Hand him one of your orgasm screams, Miranda, we’ve seen you do it!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, MartyQui said:

I was in the airport in Prague, waiting for a flight, and the guy in the seat next to me was facetiming his girlfriend (I assume), with no headphones, and with his hand down his pants.  It was the grossest thing ever.  

Not the first time I've heard of this happening on flights. Let's not "normalize" it, Show. 

• Love 9
On 12/9/2021 at 12:08 PM, Harvey said:

They are still holding out hope that the actress changes her mind for season 2. They left the door open for her.

They desperately need Samantha back. Something has to save the show!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ferjy said:

Ha, I was thinking exactly that, that Steve and Miranda should start getting raunchy all over the house and be as loud as they can. Hand him one of your orgasm screams, Miranda, we’ve seen you do it!

That wasn't my post, but funny! lol Miranda's luck Brady wouldn't care. 

• Love 2
On 12/9/2021 at 8:19 PM, Miss Slay said:

Anyways, this show is not making the case for why it needed to come back.

Points taken, but I loved this show so much for so long my 15 year old screen name (originally on twop) was in honor of SATC.  I'm still going to watch it but I miss Samatha and I hate what they're doing to Miranda. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, ferjy said:
On 12/11/2021 at 2:07 AM, RealHousewife said:

Katie cured her daughter and her boyfriend from doing that in their house by turning the tables on them and acting the same way.  LOL the kids were MORTIFIED and got the message.

That was my quote - I've been thinking that MPK wanted to shock the audience in the first couple of episodes by throwing in the teen sex scene with the parents in the next room, the public masturbation as "normal", the treatment of both Carrie and Miranda like they're dinosaur Karens that need to be taken down by folks younger and more woke and with it than they are.  Maybe that was an attempt to bring home how the new social reality in NYC is like a slap in the face and in some ways horrifying to anyone older than maybe 35 or 40.  And really, it is.  But we didn't need nor want to see that kind of blunt force humiliation inflicted upon these characters.  These are women that once empowered us now being treated like yesterday's Archie and Edith Bunker.  And they shouldn't be.  It's just all kinds of wrong.  I still don't know whether the point of all that was a hidden hatred for the new social reality or a giving into social pressure to conform to the new standard of wokeness and sexual amorality prevalent these days especially in big cities like NYC.  I also have to wonder if even Samantha would find it distasteful if she were in the next room when Brady and girlfriend were getting it on.  The Samantha we knew would probably have banged on the wall and told them to cut it out and "get a room", LOL. But if this show would have also disempowered and humiliated her character like Carrie and Miranda, that's even worse than her not being on the show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 12/14/2021 at 11:51 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

My take away from the first episode is that I really want to re-do my closet.

Yes!  This.  Of course, my closet is just a closet, not a room.  But it still was sort of inspirational...

The reason for Samantha not being around worked (somewhat) for Episode 1, but didn't work at all for Episode 2.  Her not coming to the funeral was a glaring absence, even given the "falling out" explanation.  But, I think it could be salvaged.  I've read that the writers want to keep open the possibility of Kim coming back for Season 2.  They could make it so that at some point Carrie learns that the reason Samantha didn't come to the funeral is because her cancer came back and she was in the middle of chemo, or recovering from surgery, or whatever, and just wasn't able to travel.  But she didn't want to say anything because it was Carrie's time of grief.  (Also, Samantha would rather be hated than pitied.)  If Kim decides to come back for Season 2, Samantha decides she needs to be back around "family" and returns to NYC.  If Kim decides not to come back, start Season 2 with Samantha's funeral (or mention of her death). 

• Love 3

I just rewatched both the first and second movies on HBO Max and forgot (1) Samantha, not Miranda, was Carrie’s maid-of-honor, which I thought was pretty significant and (2) in the second movie, Sam attends Smith’s movie premiere even after their break-up.  Sam could do that, as a consummate professional, but Carrie dropping her was too much to bear and caused a friend break-up with the entire group?

Besides whatever personal drama happened, I am totally fine with Kim Cattrall doing this because of how they wrote her character in the two movies -  in one, they turn her into a giant (no pun intended) fat joke, in the other, she’s the crazy menopausal lady.  In the third, they wanted her to sleep with Brady!  

KC headlined ‘Filthy Rich,’ (which I wanted a second season!), is the future mom in ‘How I Met Your Father’ and has an undisclosed but significant role in the ‘Queer as Folk’ reboot.

She is genuinely living her best life and it’s okay to not want to work with this cast & crew after they went from laughing with Sam/Kim to laughing at her.

• Love 16
32 minutes ago, Lethallyfab said:

I just rewatched both the first and second movies on HBO Max and forgot (1) Samantha, not Miranda, was Carrie’s maid-of-honor, which I thought was pretty significant and (2) in the second movie, Sam attends Smith’s movie premiere even after their break-up.  Sam could do that, as a consummate professional, but Carrie dropping her was too much to bear and caused a friend break-up with the entire group?

Besides whatever personal drama happened, I am totally fine with Kim Cattrall doing this because of how they wrote her character in the two movies -  in one, they turn her into a giant (no pun intended) fat joke, in the other, she’s the crazy menopausal lady.  In the third, they wanted her to sleep with Brady!  

KC headlined ‘Filthy Rich,’ (which I wanted a second season!), is the future mom in ‘How I Met Your Father’ and has an undisclosed but significant role in the ‘Queer as Folk’ reboot.

She is genuinely living her best life and it’s okay to not want to work with this cast & crew after they went from laughing with Sam/Kim to laughing at her.

I'm a give people benefit of the doubt kinda gal and didn't want to believe this vendetta against Kim or whatever,  but I'm so ticked off by how they did her character. It was definitely an eff you. 

I loved the original show so much, so it's hard to not want to watch the show. But yes, as far as Kim, she's really better off. She was part of the show when it was groundbreaking and glorious. 

Samantha was also the one who was so amazing when Big jilted Carrie at the altar. If I were dealing with a broken heart or anything really painful, Samantha is the one I'd most want to comfort me. Carrie could be very self-involved and thoughtless. Miranda could be rough and tough. Charlotte would break down in tears and end up needing MY comforting. Samantha was sweet and not judgmental. 

• Love 8
19 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

Re Steve's hearing issue....we get it, they've aged.  Move on.

They could have easily decided Steve’s hearing loss was from too many concerts and loud music. Why don’t they just give him an ear horn???

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
On 12/14/2021 at 9:12 AM, Carolina Girl said:

Am I missing something?

You’re missing that the writers are clueless? 😉 

I’m not sure about the book industry as a whole but I know I’ve bought more books due to podcasts and author friends are selling more thanks to being a guest on podcasts. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 12/10/2021 at 6:33 AM, greekmom said:

Are they taking turns? Because I betcha dollar to donuts they are not.  When Miranda caught Brady vaping she said "No <girlfriend's name> for a week!" .  If they were taking turns, Brady would just shrugged off the comment and said: "So I'll stay at her house for the week!"

BTW - I'm not American. 

This exactly.  Brady has no respect for Miranda or Steve.  Steve has totally tuned him out with his hearing loss. Miranda trying to be the "cool mom" is putting up with Brady's disrespectful shit. 

LOVE how you bolded that statement! 😆

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 12/16/2021 at 5:45 PM, RealHousewife said:

Samantha was also the one who was so amazing when Big jilted Carrie at the altar. If I were dealing with a broken heart or anything really painful, Samantha is the one I'd most want to comfort me. Carrie could be very self-involved and thoughtless. Miranda could be rough and tough. Charlotte would break down in tears and end up needing MY comforting. Samantha was sweet and not judgmental. 

I agree with a lot of this but how wonderful was Charlotte when Big drove by the wedding and had his driver turn around--that scene? I loved Charlotte simultaneously embracing Carrie while telling Big to back off. She was a mighty lioness in that moment and it was glorious.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I agree with a lot of this but how wonderful was Charlotte when Big drove by the wedding and had his driver turn around--that scene? I loved Charlotte simultaneously embracing Carrie while telling Big to back off. She was a mighty lioness in that moment and it was glorious.

Definitely. I do love Charlotte overall. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be Charlotte, flaws and all. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I agree with you that Charlotte was awesome in that scene. The thing is, it worked so well because Charlotte did finally become that lioness, which was not her typical demeanor. She was so very angry at Big, and she finally didn't hold her emotions in and be the "good little girl". 

I always liked Charlotte and I think motherhood has made her stronger. Look forward to seeing more of her in this series.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 5
On 12/9/2021 at 6:04 AM, BeatrixK said:

Susan Sharon - if it weren't for the voice, there's no way I would have thought it was the same actress.

I thought she looked better than the 3 lead actresses.  Heck, when I attended my 40-year high school reunion, where everyone was 58, I thought most of us looked better than this lot. 

On 12/9/2021 at 5:33 PM, Lebanna said:

I liked most of the funeral but the eulogy, read by Miranda, was terrible. For a second I thought it was supposed to be a ‘someone stop her, she’s drunk’ moment, but then I realized that it was intended to be beautiful and emotional. I can only assume that we’re supposed to think that Carrie was never was much of a writer.

It sounded a lot like what Carrie wrote for that wedding couple back in season 2 or 3.

On 12/9/2021 at 6:24 PM, violet and green said:

I was unable to focus on the funeral as I was mentally trying to take that ridiculous little hat off Carrie's too-tight slicked hair. 

Am I alone in thinking that Carrie (and SJP) would look so much better with a shorter, softer hair style parted on the side?  

On 12/10/2021 at 9:13 AM, Yeah No said:

I was never particularly team Big but I was definitely never team Aidan.  Aidan played mind games with Carrie in his own way.  He almost broke up with her because she smoked and then lied about it because she knew he made it a deal breaker. 

As I remember it, Aidan told Carrie that smoking was a deal-breaker for him when she lit up at the end of their first date -- perfectly acceptable behavior in my book, as I could never date a smoker either.  Carrie then lied by saying she was only an occasional smoker and trying to hide her addiction from him rather than just accept the facts and move on.

• Love 9