Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Breakdown

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing December 12, 2021:

Desperate to break free from his connection to Elijah, Wesley tries to plant a listening device in his office to incriminate him. Meanwhile, Officer Bradford and his sister, Genny, learn an unsettling truth about their father.

Oh, gee. Who didn't see La Fiera's henchwoman, Abril, taking her place and seeking revenge? 🙄

Of course, Bailey is married. Her relationship with Nolan is awkward as it is. Pull the plug in it already.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 12
42 minutes ago, Michichick said:

I assume Wesley is still going to lose his law license (and IMO, he probably should even though I understand his motivation), but at least he probably won’t die.

I think he will too. He's from wealth, so he can use his law education to help others without being able to practice law.

• Love 5

Is LAPD so defunded that kevlar vests are shared? When they executed the search warrant at the Food Bank, everyone had a vest.... rolling up on Elijah, NOBODY had a vest... Now that Nolan is Union Rep, he can get funding for more vests.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

So Nyla and her husband either are going to get together again? If they're not going there, that entire storyline is botched beyond belief. They seem to repeating the same beats they started with Nyla's entire storyline in s2, and it now it's just weird.

Nolan wants to propose to Bailey? Already?! Also, their chemistry was especially non-existent this episode. And of course Bailey has an ex-husband Nolan has no idea about, and that soap opera trope is put into a good use. Not. I'm assuming the ex is not ex-convict but a mental institution patient, right? Why would he'd be "let out" otherwise?

The Elijah plot was silly when it first came out in episode 1 and the manner they decided to scrap it from existence via "Random benevolent friendly crime lord from another country appears" plot device is the silliness itself. The fact that everyone acts like it's somehow serious matter is ludicrous.

Well, Tim's abusive POS of a father is so terrible he spent no time to go back to be verbally abusive the moment he saw Tim the first time in twenty years. And he also had a gall to actually call some other dude whose murder he'd helped to cover abusive. What a piece of work, that one. Every scene Tim was with father made me terribly uncomfortable, and the writing was actually good and nuanced. Poor Tim, he was put through a ringer this episode, for sure. At Lucy was there to be emotionally supportive. The sister, though, is still annoying.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Surrealist said:

Of course, Bailey is married. Her relationship with Nolan is awkward as it is. Pull the plug in it already.

I agree.  Hopefully, he'll show Bailey the door.  The "secret marriage" as a way to create tension/drama is beyond idiotic.  I've never met anyone in the real world who hid a marriage from a significant other because that's sleazy, selfish, and immoral.  This is the second time that I have seen the secret marriage crap in a TV show.  They also did it with Jay on Chicago PD.

So, in addition to being annoying and a busybody, Bailey is an asshole.  Please, writers, kill her off the show.

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

I agree.  Hopefully, he'll show Bailey the door.  The "secret marriage" as a way to create tension/drama is beyond idiotic.  I've never met anyone in the real world who hid a marriage from a significant other because that's sleazy, selfish, and immoral.  This is the second time that I have seen the secret marriage crap in a TV show.  They also did it with Jay on Chicago PD.

So, in addition to being annoying and a busybody, Bailey is an asshole.  Please, writers, kill her off the show.

When she played the card "Oh, God. I suck so bad at relationships. I've put up a wall." type of mess, my eyes almost rolled all the way out of my head.

I'm tired of female characters being written as bumbling morons in their love lives and they just need the "right man" to save them. Bailey's supposed to be a badass. 

I like Jenna Dewan. I don't like the character of Bailey. I would have preferred if the writers had made Bailey the serial killer. This would have made the character more interesting from the jump.

And yeah, I think her husband suffers/suffered from mental illness. I didn't take his comment to mean he had been in prison.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3

Glad the Elijah storyline is over but agree that having Abril come up to kill off everyone and reassert control over La Fiera's lost drug empire was a bit much but that is this show.  Also, Wesley trying to plant the bug only to get exposed via radio interference, okay, maybe as new rep Nolan can come up with some better bugging tech along with the kevlar vests.

Tim's dad was a mess.  He can help the neighbor lady but he's a jerk to his own family...nice.  I'm glad Tim seems to have some closure and even though I think his sister has her issues, it would be nice if they could come together for each other's sake.  TPTB are really not being subtle in pushing Tim and Lucy together, ugh.

I really hope they aren't trying to push Nyla and her husband back together.  He's pretty set in the way he views things.  I do hope he and Nyla can work things out so their daughter has both parents in her life.

As for Nolan and Bailey, that whole storyline was cringe worthy especially Nolan trying to get his son and Bailey on the phone together.  Him wanting to propose (egged on by that butinski Lucy) to her was ridiculous.  So of course she has a husband that she hasn't told Nolan about.  Nolan might want to consider being single for awhile and thinking about how off his radar is regarding the women he wants to date.

• Love 7

Interesting theme this episode - Women Lie.  Bailey lied to Nolan.  Nyla's ex's fiancee lied to him.  The neighbor lady lied to Chen and Bradford.  I think someone in the writers' room has issues...

Anyway you look at it - mental institution or prison - the "I didn't know you were out" line was stupid.  If it was a mental institution, that would make Bailey a heartless bitch, not knowing or caring to know that her mentally ill husband had improved enough to be released.  If it was prison, then that just makes her a jerk, not telling Nolan "hey, I'm legally still married, my husband is in jail and the divorce paperwork hasn't been finalized yet."  And stupid for not knowing when her husband gets released from prison.   But her reaction wasn't one of fear, barely surprise, so maybe there's a third possibility.  Maybe he was deep undercover for the past year, infiltrating either some surfer dude cartel or homeless community.  Maybe he's been in an extended reality show covid bubble for the past year - The Great Really Really Long British Bake Off, Survivor - the Extended Cut, Big Brother Hotel California - You Can Never Leave. 

Was Bradford's dad really having an affair with the neighbor, or was he just helping out an abused spouse, or both? 

The prop/set person for the house demo scene needs to be fired.  That was the most ridiculously clean demo I've ever seen.  They didn't even try.

Why can't they just kill Wesley off?  

• Love 3

If Enver Gjokaj stays on one of the shows I watch, I'd prefer he stay on NCIS: Hawaii.  He had great on-screen chemistry with Vanessa Minnillo as her romantic interest on that show.  I don't think he has bad chemistry with Mekia Cox, it is just that their bitter divorce, shared custody roller coaster, and all that isn't a fun story.  It is a real story, one that is happening in lots of families every day, but not light and bubbly. 

It was good that Tim confronted his dad, and faced that head on.  What wasn't good was that the dad is unrepentant, and in fact, believes he did nothing wrong and only made Bradford stronger.  What I was hoping for was that Bradford and Chen would go back to the sister at the house so they could continue demolition and they get to, I don't know, a wall in the living room exposed when they move some furniture, and there's a huge dent in the sheetrock.  Tim's sister makes a joke like "Well, we found a gun in the kitchen wall, I wonder what we'll find here!"  Tim will look at her, incredulous, and say "Don't you remember?  That was from the time I came home from my baseball game and woke dad up in his chair.  That dent was from when he bashed my head into the wall.  You were home.  It made you cry."  Then the sister remembers everything she'd repressed and realizes that Tim has a legit reason to hate their dad, Chen realizes that Tim wasn't being melodramatic about his childhood, and Bradford's anger at his dad gets validated.

I did like that they had that scene between Chen and Bradford where Chen apologizes for saying that the "Tim Tests" stemmed from his father's abuse.  That was nice, because that was a really shitty thing she said to him in the last episode, and you could tell it really hurt him.

• Love 7

Almost forgot, Smitty getting played, hah!

As for Bailey's husband, jail, mental hospital, undercover, doesn't really matter.  It's just more bad/lazy writing on this show's part.  Again, why Nolan just can't be by himself for awhile, I don't know (well okay, because that's not how it works on TV/movies) but if TPTB think that that many viewers are invested in Nolan and Bailey living happily ever after, they don't know how to read the room.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

If Enver Gjokaj stays on one of the shows I watch, I'd prefer he stay on NCIS: Hawaii.  He had great on-screen chemistry with Vanessa Minnillo as her romantic interest on that show.  I don't think he has bad chemistry with Mekia Cox, it is just that their bitter divorce, shared custody roller coaster, and all that isn't a fun story.  It is a real story, one that is happening in lots of families every day, but not light and bubbly. 

He did a farewell scene on NCIS: Hawaii, so perhaps he'll become a regular here on The Rookie.

He reminds me of the doctor (Melendez??) on The Good Doctor.

Edited by preeya
25 minutes ago, preeya said:

He did a farewell scene on NCIS: Hawaii, so perhaps he'll become a regular here on The Rookie.

He reminds me of the doctor (Melendez??) on The Good Doctor.

Argh, not NEARLY as gorgeous as Melendez.  Enver Gjokaj has what I used to call a vanilla pudding face -- no distinguishing characteristics.

And I'm new to this thread, but I have never seen any chemistry between Bailey and Nolan.

Edited by Puffaroo
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, chaifan said:

Anyway you look at it - mental institution or prison - the "I didn't know you were out" line was stupid.  If it was a mental institution, that would make Bailey a heartless bitch, not knowing or caring to know that her mentally ill husband had improved enough to be released. 

That could be a legal and/or insurance thing regarding Bailey's healthcare plan at work. Hard to say but this soap opera trope is meant to be broken apart in the future.

2 hours ago, chaifan said:

Was Bradford's dad really having an affair with the neighbor, or was he just helping out an abused spouse, or both? 

Tim said he saw them together when he'd been 14, and didn't tell his mom about it.

2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Chen realizes that Tim wasn't being melodramatic about his childhood, and Bradford's anger at his dad gets validated.

The abuse stuff came up in the show before. When Tim was trying to comfort Lucy after her kidnapping, he mentioned his father "tuning him up a regular" from his dad. So it's not like last episode was some brand new information for Lucy.

2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

What wasn't good was that the dad is unrepentant, and in fact, believes he did nothing wrong and only made Bradford stronger. 

That what's called a Truth on TV at tvtropes.org. Abusers just have zero clue, which makes it even worse as victims feel they've been gaslighted and their trauma invalidated.

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Netfoot said:

And to everybody who has been saying how much younger Bailey looks in comparison to Nolan, I refer you to the final scene. Where Nolan has lunch with Betty White.

Aww, @Netfoot, that would make me The Portrait Of Dorian Gray. I was admiring how the sunlight on Bailey and Nolan at the outdoor café made both look mature but also lovely and attractive.
About Bailey having a secret husband? Yeah. I got nuthin’ except I guess that’s the 21st century version of the Cartwright Curse.

But, wow, not much of a curse compared to Nyla, Wesley and Tim’s story arcs.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

About Bailey having a secret husband? Yeah. I got nuthin’ except I guess that’s the 21st century version of the Cartwright Curse.

Bwah!  Oh gosh, having watched some of those episodes, yes, no show could be that bad as far as badly fated love life's go.  Other shows have had a string of bad luck but Bonanza was one of the worst.

• Love 2

Not much police work in this one, it was about their personal issues.

So they tied up the Wesley screw up quite easily and without consequences.
Actually the only consequences in this show seem to be kept for actors who leave it 😄
I like the guy who plays Wesley, loved him in Killjoys, but I really can't stand of his character here.

The whole Nolan - Bailey thing never really worked. They simply have no chemistry at all. 
So I dunno if there is any future in this relationship and I do not care, as long as it doesn't consume much time from the show.

Nyla and bitter hubby 's story. He is an hypocrite (she lied to me so I broke out with her. I mean she didn't even cheated on me, like I did to  her) and the last thing he has in mind is his daughter happiness. Unfortunately something we see quite often in RL as well.
This is probably the most realistic current plot, however it doesn't seem like belonging to this show. As was Tim and his dad's story, which was quite badly written.

So.. LA's SWAT team response time must be the worse in the universe. Not that anyone needs them when Nolan is around. Riiiiight? Right!

• Love 5

This episode was pretty weak.  Bradford and his dad (sans Chen) were the only scenes really worth watching.  I really don't want a Bradford/Chen hookup and I'm disappointed that the show is going in that direction. Bailey can leave any time now.  She brings nothing to the table especially chemistry with Nolan!  He's known her for like a month and he's already proposing.  Give me a break!  I'm so over Nyla and her ex husband/child custody drama.  The Wesley and Elijah storyline was very anti climatic!  

• Love 4

They built up this Elijah character as a big bad who is manipulative and intimidating but his takedown was meh! 🤦🏻‍♀️ I like Elijah more than Wesley.

Nyla’s storyline was stupid and they’ve totally ruined Donovan’s character. No matter what Nyla does (career move etc), it will never be good enough for him and he will always find a way to blame her. There shouldn’t be any reconciliation between these two characters, it’ll make Nyla looks weak.

I like all scenes between Tom and Tim Bradford, good acting by both! It’s good to see the vulnerable side of Tim. Am glad they addressed Lucy’s hurtful remarks re Tim’s Test. Gosh, sometimes she’s so immature!

No comment re Bailey’s latest drama. I wish she just fades away into the sunset. Really not interested in Nolan’s love life. The next relationship for Nolan should be with Smitty… #woke 🙄

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

They built up this Elijah character as a big bad who is manipulative and intimidating but his takedown was meh!

LAPD would never beat him... Unfortunately, his crew lost a 8 v 1 firefight. 

• LOL 4
12 hours ago, Netfoot said:

And to everybody who has been saying how much younger Bailey looks in comparison to Nolan, I refer you to the final scene. Where Nolan has lunch with Betty White.

The lighting in that scene was atrocious - everyone looked at least 20 years older, it was shocking

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, bros402 said:

The lighting in that scene was atrocious - everyone looked at least 20 years older, it was shocking

The make-up artists did a number on Jenna Dewan there. That horrible eyeliner alone! Also, Bailey had her evening make up done (while there's daylight and they're outside), and Nolan was dressed waaaay to casual for the occasion.

I get that the outdoor table is related to COVID-19 restrictions but everything else was just unfortunate.

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 1
On 12/12/2021 at 9:44 PM, paigow said:

Is LAPD so defunded that kevlar vests are shared? When they executed the search warrant at the Food Bank, everyone had a vest.... rolling up on Elijah, NOBODY had a vest... Now that Nolan is Union Rep, he can get funding for more vests.

That bugged me to no end.

20 hours ago, Netfoot said:

LOL. I did notice some gray in her hair as well - but then the actress is in her early 40's.

18 hours ago, chaifan said:

Interesting theme this episode - Women Lie.  Bailey lied to Nolan.  Nyla's ex's fiancee lied to him.  The neighbor lady lied to Chen and Bradford.  I think someone in the writers' room has issues...

Anyway you look at it - mental institution or prison - the "I didn't know you were out" line was stupid.  If it was a mental institution, that would make Bailey a heartless bitch, not knowing or caring to know that her mentally ill husband had improved enough to be released.  If it was prison, then that just makes her a jerk, not telling Nolan "hey, I'm legally still married, my husband is in jail and the divorce paperwork hasn't been finalized yet."  And stupid for not knowing when her husband gets released from prison.   But her reaction wasn't one of fear, barely surprise, so maybe there's a third possibility.  Maybe he was deep undercover for the past year, infiltrating either some surfer dude cartel or homeless community.  Maybe he's been in an extended reality show covid bubble for the past year - The Great Really Really Long British Bake Off, Survivor - the Extended Cut, Big Brother Hotel California - You Can Never Leave.

Yes, the theme was pretty in your face, wasn't it.

I don't know what to think about Bailey's husband. The thing I noticed most was that he did not react negatively to Nolan saying he was her boyfriend. So it doesn't seem to me there'll be that much drama between Bailey and the husband, but between Nolan and Bailey.

18 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I did like that they had that scene between Chen and Bradford where Chen apologizes for saying that the "Tim Tests" stemmed from his father's abuse.  That was nice, because that was a really shitty thing she said to him in the last episode, and you could tell it really hurt him.

That scene choked me up. Eric Winter knocked it out of the ballpark.

17 hours ago, Puffaroo said:

Argh, not NEARLY as gorgeous as Melendez.  Enver Gjokaj has what I used to call a vanilla pudding face -- no distinguishing characteristics.

I first saw Enver in The Dollhouse, where he took on many personalities. My favorite being a teenage girl - which was hilarious.

6 hours ago, CooperTV said:

The make-up artists did a number on Jenna Dewan there. That horrible eyeliner alone! Also, Bailey had her evening make up done (while there's daylight and they're outside), and Nolan was dressed waaaay to casual for the occasion.

The makeup did seem a bit garish. I didn't notice what Nolan was wearing.

I loved Smitty's video.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I did notice some gray in her hair as well - but then the actress is in her early 40's.

Which is fine! Just don't get those who seem to think she looks like a teenager and he like Gandalf the White Privileged.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, edhopper said:

It bugs me that they are making Abril into a Black Widow level super woman.  This isn't Agent's of Shield, it's suppose to be a cop show with at least part of one foot in reality. (I know, don't start)

When they put all of that effort in the premiere to make her distinctive, it was a sure sign that she was going to be a major character. Probably TOO sure of a sign, all said and done, really.

I don't supposed there's any chance "her husband" means "her ex-husband"?

• BAILEY
    Jason. I -- When did they let you out?

• JASON
    Uh, last week. Uh, who are you?

• NOLAN
    I'm John Nolan, her boyfriend. And you are?

• JASON
    Uh, her husband.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Surrealist said:

To be fair, Bailey didn't dispute his comment either.

The episode [for me] cut to Nolan while the last line was delivered and ended without any time for Bailey to say anything....

ETA: Is there a Snyder Cut version with 5 extra minutes???

Edited by paigow
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 12/12/2021 at 9:44 PM, paigow said:

I know any scene when one team is alone they just go to the back of their shop and pull out armor and rifles. They can't even play no time for back up, besides SWAT, since Sergeant Grey had to get out of the office with his entire watch, sans Smitty in tow.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't supposed there's any chance "her husband" means "her ex-husband"?

I've seen that trope more times than I can count.  The ex calls themselves the husband/wife and the other partner jumps up to say "You mean ex"  As was said, there wasn't enough time for Bailey to refute his claim.

• Love 2