Type keyword(s) to search

Joe Pickett - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Joe-Pickett-Key-Art-768x1152.jpg

Joe Pickett is a new 10 episode drama series based on an (over 20 book) series of ongoing novels written by C. J. Box. Another set of C. J. Box bestselling novels was the inspiration for the hit TV Series "Big Sky". 

The series comes from creators, directors, showrunners and executive producers, John Erick Dowdle and Drew Dowdle.

The first three episodes of Joe Pickett will debut Monday, Dec. 6. New episodes will continue streaming exclusively on Spectrum every Monday until the finale airs on Monday, Dec. 27. After it airs in it's entirety, Joe Pickett will air exclusively on Spectrum for nine-months before eventually heading to Paramount+ at some later date.

To see the TV Series you must have Spectrum Cable Service.

Sneak Peek of Episode 1

joepickett-1638366040780.jpeg

Joe Pickett follows a game warden and his family as they navigate the shifting socio-political climate in the small rural town of Saddlestring, Wyoming on the verge of economic collapse. Surrounded by rich history and vast wildlife, the township hides decades of schemes and secrets that are yet to be uncovered. The area is suddenly swarmed by individuals hungry to profit off of the rich lands. The mystery begins when a murder victim winds up on Joe’s front doorstep and he and his family find themselves in the crosshairs of a larger looming conspiracy. Without the help of local law enforcement, Joe is taking matters into his own hands as he questions what it means to be a good man and father in a world that lives on the edge of the wilderness.

joepickettseries-1638368569971.jpeg

Michael Dorman will play Joe Pickett, a Wyoming game warden.  

Zebastin Borjeau will play Joe Pickett as a child.

Patrick Gallagher, who plays Sheriff Walter Tubb on ABC’s "Big Sky" TV series, is this time playing another Sheriff, Sheriff Barnum. Sheriff Barnum is an institution in Twelve Sleep County who’s learned that enforcing the law is not so black and white in this place and clashes with the Game Warden’s involvement in his murder case and doesn’t take kindly to the implication that he isn’t doing his job.

Julianna Guill will play Joe Pickett's wife, Marybeth Pickett, a charming, forthright, and probably the smartest person in all of Saddlestring, Wyoming.

Skywalker Hughes will play Sheridan Pickett.

Kamyrn Pliva will play Lucy Pickett.

Sharon Lawrence will play Missy, Marybeth’s mother.

David Alan Grier will play Vern Dunnegan, a former gregarious, larger than life game warden.

Mustafa Speaks will play Nate Romanowski, a former Special Operations soldier. 

Paul Sparks will play Wacey, an ex-rodeo cowboy who is about to begin his campaign for sheriff. 

Benjamin Hollingsworth will play Ote Keeley, a big game poacher whose brazen and unpredictable behavior makes him both intimidating and a bit scary.

Leah Gibson will play Jeannie Keeley

Aadila Dosani will play Cricket

Chad Rook will play Deputy McLanahan.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, AnimeMania said:
14 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Mustafa Speaks will play Nate Romanowski, a former Special Operations soldier. 

The first episode seems more Longmire than Yellowstone, well they are both lawmen. I guess the modern western  genre is popping.

I went in cold on Joe Picket but I wonder if it was just colorblind casting or is there a story about Romanoski's name in the source.

Episode Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: A Monster at the Gate

On his first day as game warden in Saddlestring, Wyo., Joe Pickett finds himself in an unexpected situation with a local poacher.

Original Airdate: Dec. 6

S01.E02: Circling Vultures

Joe weasels his way into a local murder case and finds himself at odds with some important townsfolk; Marybeth manages the rest of the family at a motel and does some digging of her own.

S01.E03: Joey, Get Your Gun

As Joe and some other brave locals embark on a dangerous trek, Marybeth contemplates going back to the courtroom for what seems like a worthy cause.

• Useful 1

3 episodes in we have the stay at home lawyer, where the family can't really afford that. Everybody can't believe that Warden Pickett is so Mr. Clean that he gave the Governor a ticket. He carriers his  childhood .22 long rifle "rabbit gun" into combat situations.

But I am interested to see what conspiracy is behind a poacher/informants murder.

Episodes 4-5 Titles and Descriptions 

Spoiler

S01.E04: A Conspiracy of Ravens

Joe enjoys newfound praise after dispatching the presumed murderer, but he isn't convinced the investigation is over; someone is attempting to clean up all the loose ends.

Original Airdate: Dec. 13

S01.E05: Live and Look Like a Million

Joe and Marybeth are spooked after the incident at Clyde's trailer and must decide whether or not they want to continue looking for the truth; Sheridan gets an expected visitor.

Original Airdate: Dec. 13

• Useful 1

Episodes 6-7 Titles and Descriptions 

Spoiler

S01.E06: Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up

Joe begins to wonder if there's anyone in this town who isn't connected to the deeply rooted corruption, and Marybeth works around the clock to try and free Nate.

Original Airdate: Dec. 20, 2021

S01.E07: The Most Hated Man in Twelve Sleep

Joe connects an important piece of the pipeline mystery, but it may cost him; the Pickett's find themselves in a luxurious new home.

Original Airdate: Dec. 20, 2021

I liked the books and was afraid the series would not do it justice but it is surprisingly good. I love the casting. Romanowski is, if I recall correctly, a blonde in the books so the African American casting is new in the series but it doesn't affect anything really. He was an easy main character to recast and diversify somewhat an area of the country that is mostly white.  This is supposed to be based on the first two books, Open Season and Winterkill, but it seems like it has a lot more to go if that is true. But there are only two(?) episodes left I believe.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it and hope it comes back for more seasons. 

Episodes 8-10 Titles and Descriptions 

Spoiler

S01.E08: The Killing Fields

In need of some breakthrough evidence, Joe calls in a favor from an unexpected ally; Marybeth and Sheridan remain vulnerably close to danger.

Original Airdate: Dec. 27, 2021

S01.E09: Endangered

While Joe frantically rushes to the hospital, Sheridan tries to recall her survival skills to escape an unhinged predator.

S01.E10: Open Season

Season Finale

In the final showdown, the Picketts face their toughest battle yet; when the dust settles, those who live will have to learn to move on and cope with the sacrifices they have made.

Edited by AnimeMania

Hub and I have been binging this on Spectrum Originals On Demand.  Each episode is more gripping than the last.  I'm surprised there's not much chatter here about it.  Same with Temple that's also a Spectrum Original (that I can't seem to find any thread on)

Anyway - very good series.

7 minutes ago, ctlady said:

Hub and I have been binging this on Spectrum Originals On Demand.  Each episode is more gripping than the last.  I'm surprised there's not much chatter here about it.  Same with Temple that's also a Spectrum Original (that I can't seem to find any thread on)

Anyway - very good series.

I guess it depends upon the intersection of fans of the books and folks who have not cut their cable cord. Only a few like me who never heard of the series but had some time and gave it a shot.

On 2/9/2022 at 3:27 PM, AnimeMania said:

Joe Pickett is renewed for a second season.

Fantastic.  Hub and I just finished the first season.  Good ending, but did leave some open doors.  I wanted to know what was the repercussions for the Scarlett's with Vern and Wacy dead and their entire scheme to get rich off the re-routed pipeline.  I wonder if Jeannine will be back with or without her baby.  Since she's flat broke I thought she may put the baby up for adoption.  Glad Marybeth kicked her drama queen leeching mother to the curb. And, of course, I need to know what happened to Joe's brother and parents.  Oh, and I want Nate to come back.  

I saw that this series is going to start airing on Paramount Plus next month.  I don't have Spectrum so wasn't even aware that they had made a series out of this.

When they announced "Big Sky" I was saying that they should have adapted Joe Pickett instead, and I am happy to see that they have done so.  The Joe Pickett books are great, I hope this series does them justice.  For me, "Big Sky" started off great but then devolved into ridiculousness, and I didn't return for the second season.

• Like 1

‘Joe Pickett’: Keean Johnson Joins Season 2 Of Spectrum Series As Trio Upped To Regulars

The first season was watched by over 1M households in its first month after its December launch – making it the company’s most-watched original before the full season was released.

For Season 2, Vivienne Guynn, Chad Rook and Aadila Dosani have been promoted to series regulars. 

Keean Johnson plays Luke Brueggeman, Joe Pickett’s new Game and Fish trainee. Luke is a wide-eyed, lovable screwup who often acts as Joe’s comedic sidekick. Luke has a motormouth, an aversion to horses – and an unconventional method for corralling drunk elk. 

Season two follows Pickett after he finds the body of a murdered hunter that’s been strung up and field-dressed like an elk and makes a shocking discovery: someone in Saddlestring has begun hunting hunters. While Joe tracks down the killer, his wife, Marybeth, investigates the disappearance of a young Arapaho woman named Marissa Left Hand.

• Useful 1

Just started watching this - we just finished episode 3.  I had a couple of "huh?" moments.  Mrs. Pickett finds out she is pregnant and in the next scene she is visibly looking like she is 5 months pregnant, and they're trying to help their kids make friends in their new town, so no time has really passed.  Also, this is Wyoming, why is everyone speaking with a southern accent?  (I've noticed this in Longmire and Yellowstone too).  Are they trying to sound "rural"? whatever that may be?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I just finished the series and enjoyed it. I agree, the timeline at the beginning seemed off - I thought there was a time jump because of how much more pregnant Marybeth got from episode 1 to episode 2, but they kept talking about being new to town. It was strange.

Did anyone notice how Joe let Nate take April's horse when he left? Joe always rode the brown horse and Marybeth rode the Palomino, and April's horse was black. When Joe and Nate rode, Joe was on his brown horse and Nate was on a black horse, which had to be April's. It was never addressed, but I felt bad for April.

SEASON 2 OF JOE PICKETT TO PREMIERE ON PARAMOUNT+ JUNE 4

Joe Pickett Season 2 will have a two episode premiere on Sunday, June 4, 2023 on Paramount+. 

In season two, Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett (Michael Dorman) discovers a hunter murdered in the mountains and realizes his is just one of a series of gruesome murders. To solve the case and catch the killer, Joe must navigate a radical anti-hunting activist, a ghoulish set of twins living off the grid and his own tortured past.

Joe and his wife, Marybeth (Julianna Guill), discover that the murdered men weren’t as innocent as they seemed. But when they dig too deep, they are forced to go on the run and fight for their very lives.

• Like 2

Michael Dorman as Joe Pickett 
Patrick Gallagher as Sheriff Barnum
Chad Rook as Deputy McLanahan
Julianna Guill as Marybeth 
Kamryn Pliva as Lucy Pickett
Skywalker Hughes as Sheridan Pickett
Vivienne Guynn as April 
Aadila Dosani as Cricket
Mustafa Speaks as Nate Romanowski 
Keean Johnson as Luke Brueggeman
Julianne Christie as Blair 
Alex Breaux as Caleb Grimmengruber/Camish Grimmengruber 

Joe Pickett Season 2        June 4, 2023       Paramount+

Episodes 1-2   Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: The Missing and the Dead
joe-pickett-1080x725.jpg.webp
One year after the violent attack on the Pickett family, Joe and Marybeth try to pick up the pieces and move forward together. Joe journeys deep into the forest on the mysterious Bermuda Mountain in search of a lost hunter and makes a grim discovery. Meanwhile, Marybeth throws herself into her legal work in an effort to forget the loss her family suffered.JoePickettS2_Eps201_db_20220620_87_RT.jpg.23d792fb3c458033f52b76d35ff0ad01.jpg

S01.E02: The Question Why
JoePickett_202_NO_LOGO_2225069_1920x1080

Injured and alone on Bermuda Mountain, Joe encounters a mysterious cabin as he tries to escape the grim threat stalking him through the night. Marybeth grows increasingly desperate for answers and makes a choice that will affect her whole family. Meanwhile, Cricket entertains an unexpected visitor and Sheriff Barnum and Deputy McLanahan search for answers of their own.

JoePickettS2_Eps202_FG_0303_03_RT.jpg.88efc054389d7a6b07cdce574a1eba24.jpg

S01.E03: Stop the Slaughter!
JoePickett_203_NO_LOGO_2232619_1920x1080
An anti-hunting activist, Klamath Moore, stirs up trouble in Saddlestring when he hears about the tragic death of a local hunter. Joe grapples with what really happened on Bermuda Mountain and searches for answers as he investigates the death. Sheridan gets angry with Marybeth after she discovers the truth about what happened to Joe on Bermuda Mountain. Marybeth joins the search for a missing woman from the Wind River Reservation.

Premiere Date: June 11, 2023       Paramount+
joe-pickett-2x03-sneak-peek-joe-nate.png

I wish they would lighten up on Sheridan's sulky brat routine.  Otherwise, I was so disappointed when the episode came to an end.  I got really spoiled being able to binge the last season.  Love the show - I hope it keeps going..  

• Like 2

S01.E04: Buck Wild
ebeede4a8ff89f3ec9a1184533352425_706x397
Joe heads to the crime scene to lay a trap for the killer with the help of radio personality and master tracker Buck Lothar. Anti-hunting activist Klamath Moore continues to stir up trouble in Saddlestring. Sheridan has a run-in at school and connects some unexpected dots for Marybeth. Meanwhile, Nate drops in on an old friend from his past and learns his future with Cricket is in jeopardy.
Premiere Date: June 18, 2023       Paramount+
JoePickett_204_NO_LOGO_2235816_1920x1080

I like this show a lot, but would also totally watch a Nate/Cricket spinoff.  I like that it's a realistic show in the sense that not everyone is hollywood handsome/beautiful, struggles with addiction and depression are not cured overnight is also refreshingly realistic.  Marybeth still quietly grieving a year later rings very true. 

• Like 3

S01.E05: Heads Will Roll
JoePickett_205_NO_LOGO_2238103_1920x1080
While the Governor shuts down hunting season, Joe searches for truth in the aftermath of the new murders at the crime scene. Meanwhile, Marybeth digs deep into Stop The Slaughter and Klamath Moore and discovers a disturbing pattern of events. Nate and Cricket search for answers -- and safety while on the run. Missy re-examines her relationship with McLanahan.

Premiere Date: June 25, 2023       Paramount+

• Like 1

OK, I don't remember ever seeing Missy's new boyfriend, Derek Longbrake, in town last season. Is there a chance that he's the serial killer and he watches the Stop The Slaughter social media accounts so he can show up wherever they're going to be?

Missy shooting the windows out of his truck was pretty funny.

• Like 3

S01.E06: Ducks and Falcons
2f81536cbc.jpg.webp
Joe searches for the truth in Cheyenne when Sheriff Barnum and Deputy McLanahan shut him out of the murder investigation. Nate and Cricket seek answers to questions of their own in Idaho. Sheridan and April do a school project about their families and Derek Longbrake makes his intentions clear to Missy.

Premiere Date: July 2, 2023       Paramount+
JoePickett_206_NO_LOGO_2238099_1920x1080

• Like 1

S01.E07: Fair Chase
JoePickett_207_NO_LOGO_2268648_1920x1080
As the focus shifts to a new suspect, Joe makes the hard decision to trust an old enemy as he searches for answers in the murder investigation. Cricket delivers much-needed information to Charlie Left Hand about the missing persons investigation. Meanwhile, the killer is lured back to the crime scene.

Premiere Date: July 9, 2023       Paramount+
98c334f92b.jpg.webp

On 7/9/2023 at 10:22 PM, VegetasMom said:

I wonder if he ends up being actually really rich.  

You can count on it! Way too much of her saying 'I like you but I need a rich man'.  I like the actress, wish her charachter was not so one-dimensional.  Why did the sheriff kill that activisit? He had his hands up, not reaching for anything.  Just general incompetence?

My guess was that it was intentional rather than incompetence.  The sheriff seems kinda corrupt to me.  The sheriff's deputy (the one who was Missy's lover for a while) is more of the incompetent type.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, roughing it said:

My guess was that it was intentional rather than incompetence.  The sheriff seems kinda corrupt to me. 

that was what I thought.  Especially one of those final scenes where he was turning to face the sheriff with his arms raised.   At that close range, the sheriff didn't need to fire at all.  

• Like 3

S01.E08: A Call For Help
JoePickett_208_NO_LOGO_2272327_1920x1080
Joe and Marybeth make a shocking discovery, as the truth behind Marissa’s disappearance is revealed. Shannon strikes a risky deal with the Sheriff.

Premiere Date: July 16, 2023       Paramount+
6d6b5af6be.jpg.webp

The beginning of episode 8 was hard to watch. I am still holding out hope Marissa is alive, but that would make the sheriff pretty dumb- he couldn't check to make sure she was dead? He references letting birds peck out her eyes so I am hoping that means after the second time he shot her, he just left her for dead somewhere in the woods, but that would be extraordinarily stupid of him.

I can't figure out why Shenandoah revealed herself so soon. She still had two guys left to kill, who actually appear to be the worst of the group. Why out herself as the killer, when everyone, including the corrupt sheriff, is right on hand to arrest her? Why not wait until another time to get her target? If she was worried about Klamath being blamed for being the killer, she certainly could clear his name later. In fact, letting them temporarily think they got their man could only help her. I was hoping that she had some master plan, but really, it just seemed a sloppy way to move the story along.

Given Klamath's popularity and money, I am little surprised Shenandoah was so vulnerable. I would think a hotshot lawyer would be on the scene immediately, but Joe made it sound like the sheriff had kept her completely isolated from everyone.

22 hours ago, Tatum said:

I am still holding out hope Marissa is alive

I am wondering about the very first 2 episodes of the season, where he is helped by some mysterious woman in a cabin.  Was that ever resolved? seems like they dropped the thread.

On another note, not every show can go back and forth in time, but this really worked for me.  I love this show, sad more people aren't commenting.

4 minutes ago, jabRI said:

I am wondering about the very first 2 episodes of the season, where he is helped by some mysterious woman in a cabin.  Was that ever resolved? seems like they dropped the thread.

On another note, not every show can go back and forth in time, but this really worked for me.  I love this show, sad more people aren't commenting.

I googled this, and one news source says they are certain that

Spoiler

She is indeed the woman in the cabin, the tattoos on the fingers match.

Spoiler tagging just in case, not an actual spoiler though.

I do hope they return to the twins- that seems like an odd storyline to just drop.

I wish more people watched this show too. I am dying to hear theories on why Shannon/Shenandoah gave herself up. I was really hoping she was trying to get arrested, that there was an ulterior motive, but the way the episode went down made zero sense. Shenandoah had a very brief window when Pickett ran to where Klamath was shot, and she could have killed Pope with no witnesses. Instead, she chooses to brilliantly wait until all three armed members of law enforcement are staring right at her, knowing the crooked sheriff just killed her husband and will be the one to take her into custody, after presumably killing Marissa. Why, Shenandoah?

I did love Pickett kissing the deputy's ass while Marybeth rifled through the evidence to get Shenandoah's phone.

But I was vaguely annoyed with him as the episode went on. When he said there was never a reason to kill anyone (when Nate defended Shenandoah) but later on, when thinking about what one of the guys (his name escapes me) had done to him and Sheridan, he seemed  a lot more open to vigilante justice. It just rubbed me the wrong way, like it was somehow worse because it was him and his daughter vs all the other women. These guys are absolutely monstrous, and while legally vigilante justice is wrong, I can't say I'd be too broken up about it personally.

I wonder what the one widow who got really defensive and hostile with Marybeth knew about her husband's activities.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, roughing it said:

I'm watching!

Just waiting for a day when all Joe has to do is issue a couple of fishing citations.  I'll bet he is too.

In fairness, he did try and issue a fishing citation earlier this season and that did not end too well for him. Or his horse...

• Like 2
On 7/18/2023 at 12:12 PM, jabRI said:

read the excellent recap of episode 8 on the website wideopencountry.  The author concludes that Marissa is alive and that she was the girl in the cabin.

• Useful 1

S01.E09: If This Is Goodbye
5cb6b20414.jpg.webp
In a desperate bid to set things right, Marybeth makes a decision that will change her life forever. Shannon grieves her murdered husband while on the run from the law. Joe comes face-to-face with trauma from his past when he follows Marybeth into the woods.

Premiere Date: July 23, 2023       Paramount+
JoePickett_209_NO_LOGO_2238108_1920x1080

On 7/18/2023 at 4:03 PM, Tatum said:

In fairness, he did try and issue a fishing citation earlier this season and that did not end too well for him. Or his horse...

I'm waiting for Checkov's wendigos to show up and wipe out the good ole boys hunting Marissa. What's the point of introducing them if you aren't going to use them? And then Nate can take care of the cops.