Type keyword(s) to search

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Part One) (2023)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

Sony Unveils Exclusive Footage of ‘Bullet Train,’ ‘Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse’ at CinemaCon
BY  CHRIS GARDNER, PAMELA MCCLINTOCK, CAROLYN GIARDINA    APRIL 25, 2022 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/sony-unveils-exclusive-footage-of-bullet-train-spider-man-across-the-universe-at-cinemacon-1235134514/ 

To enthusiastic applause, Rothman then welcomed writer-producers Phil Lord and Chris Miller to show off their work in progress from Sony Pictures Animation, including storyboards, of the first 15 minutes of Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, the wildly anticipated first chapter in a two-part sequel to 2018’s Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, which pushed the boundaries of animation and collected a best animated feature Oscar for its efforts.

It once again voice stars Shameik Moore as Miles Morales, a teenage Spider-Man who is transported to another universe, where he comes in contact with Miguel O’Hara, aka Spider-Man 2099, voiced by Oscar Isaac. Miles Morales will also reteam with Gwen Stacy/Spider-Gwen (Hailee Steinfeld) as well as a new roster of Spider characters including Spider-Woman/Jessica Drew, voiced by Issa Rae.

The clip begins in Gwen Stacy’s dimension, with Gwen and her father, the police chief, as he gets a call. Gwen follows and meets Vulture. O’Hara’s Spider-Man and Spider-woman/Jessica Drew are introduced from another dimension. In the scene, Gwen’s father arrives and tries to arrest her for the murder of Peter Parker, and she removes the mask and reveals her identity. Next we cut to Miles Morales’ world, which introduces Miles in a parent-teacher meeting at his school.

Joaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers and Justin K. Thompson direct the sequel from a screenplay by Lord, Miller and David Callaham. The film was set for release Oct. 7, 2022, but the studio announced last week that it was pushing back the theatrical release to June 2, 2023. Spider-Man: Behind the Spider-Verse is the name of the second of the sequels, which is slated for a March 29, 2024, release.

Edited by tv echo
6 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Why must June be so far away?!

Agreed!

Our 7yo is obsessed with the first film, Miles is The Ultimate Spiderman as far as she's concerned. She can't wait for the new film - and neither can I!

• Love 1

All the movies you'll want to watch in 2023, from 'Ant-Man 3' to 'Scream VI'
Jan. 5, 2023
https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/entertainment/movies/2023/01/04/exclusive-look-2023-new-movies/10979963002/

"Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse" (June 2, theaters): Miles Morales (voiced by Shameik Moore, left) reunites with Gwen Stacy (Hailee Steinfeld) and introduces her to his parents (Luna Lauren Velez and Brian Tyree Henry) in the animated superhero sequel.

ec0c6734-0b82-41fd-a41d-805a2be04a4e-Spi 

(edited)

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE Clip - Missing Class
Sony Pictures Entertainment   May 16, 2023

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE Clip - Gwen & Miles
Sony Pictures Entertainment   May 17, 2023

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE - New Guy (In Theaters June 2)
Sony Pictures Entertainment   May 18, 2023

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE – Stronger (In Theaters June 2)
Sony Pictures Entertainment   May 19, 2023

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE Clip - Stop Spider-Man
Sony Pictures Entertainment   May 22, 2023

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Spectacular. Amazing. Great writing and acting but the animation was still the star by a long shot. To think Into The Spider-Verse was visually groundbreaking back then. This movie goes 10x harder on ditching the standard 3D animation look* than ITSV did.

* I know Pixar typically introduces some graphical or rendering innovation with each movie, but compared to these films it’s like comparing a baby crawling to a space shuttle.

I wonder if Peter Parkedcar (LMAO) was bitten by a spider or by a spider-car.

• Like 4

I went back and checked and sure enough, Miles' spider really did glitch back in the first movie as it descended from the ceiling.

• Like 4
  • Useful 7

The first film is probably one of my top animated films of all time, so this had a lot to live up to, but thankfully I think it delivered and then some.  I will have to debate for a while over which one I preferred, but I thought this was an excellent follow-up and actually did improve upon some already impressive aspects.

It goes without saying that the animation really is something else. I really have time to go into all of it because if I keep talking about moments that blew me away and had me sitting there in aww, this post would go on for pages.  But all of the various styles, sequences and how they implemented everything was just perfect.  At the risk of sounding borderline over-the-top, it really did feel like looking at living/moving paintings at times.  The creativity of it all was just... beyond words, honestly.  Truly groundbreaking on a lot of levels.

But thankfully the story was still there and I continue to love how emotionally connected I am to everything here.  They really have made Miles and the rest of the gang such relatable characters and a joy to watch on screen.  Really liked getting more of Gwen's story this go around and I liked how Rio had more of a presence here and explored her relationship with Miles (although Jefferson still had some great moments.)  I love all of the various universes they explore and could watch hours upon hours of just Gwen's world or especially Mumbattan.  Everything just feels so lived in and all of the characters are so layered and fascinating.

Shameik Moore continues to be a perfect Miles and between Gwen and Kate Bishop, Hailee Steinfeld really is proving herself to be a perfect fit for comic roles.  Brian Tyree Henry and Luna Lauren Velez were excellent again as Jefferson and RIo.  Jake Johnson didn't have as much to do as Peter B. Parker this go around, but still got some great laughs and good heartfelt moments.  The new additions were equally impressive.  Jason Schwartzman was having a ball as "The Spot", Daniel Kaluuya almost stole the show as Spider-Punk, and I really enjoyed Issa Rae as Jessica Drew and Karan Soni as Pavtir/Spider-Man India.  But Oscar Isaac though!  So intense and menacing as Miguel.  I was truly captivated whenever he spoke and he made for a great antagonist.

So many Easter Eggs and cameos that I will have to truly rewatch to absorb them all.  For now, my favorites are a) Donald Glover's cameo as the MCU Aaron Pierce/Prowler (keep forgetting we saw him in Homecoming) and b) seeing Insomniac/the Playstation 4 version of Spider-Man/Peter Parker, complete with the voice actor/Yuri Lowenthal.

A little bummed that we didn't see Spider-Noir or Spider-Ham this go around, but it looks like they'll be back for the third film!

Andy Samberg as Scarlet Spider was a fun surprise as well.

Another killer soundtrack.

Only major issues I had was some of the sound mixing seemed off: at least in my theatre.  In particular, I had problems hearing Gwen's opening narration and some of Spider-Punk's dialogue.

Glad that is seems to be doing well at the box office and hopefully the third film sticks the landing.  We could very well be seeing the makings of a classic trilogy.  No matter what though, this and the first film are really some of the best in both of the animation and comic book game.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Really awesome, but I'm going to nitpick- if Miles was never meant to be Spiderman (in any other universe) then why does he have canon events? Or are they just assuming they have to make these canon events happen to repair the big problem of making Miles Spiderman? 

I did like the touches that there didn't seem to be an alternative Miles Morales at the headquarters.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Really awesome, but I'm going to nitpick- if Miles was never meant to be Spiderman (in any other universe) then why does he have canon events? Or are they just assuming they have to make these canon events happen to repair the big problem of making Miles Spiderman? 

My half baked idea is that this theory means the universe requires a Spider-Man. Miguel says if Miles had never been bitten, Peter A would have lived and shut down the collider. This suggests that the universe gives Spider-Man invulnerable plot armor but only so long as the universe doesn’t just have a replacement Spider-Man ready to go. But Miles did get spider-powers, Peter A died, and thus the universe pushed Miles into the Spider-Man shaped role it has to keep filled. And that’s also why his uncle died: Miles’ life got forced into the Spider-Man mold so now Miles has to have canon events happen to him.

Miguel’s philosophy is a pretty solipsistic way of looking at the universe, except instead of “I’m the only person who’s real”, it’s “Spider heroes are the only people who are real”. (And to him, Miles is uniquely less worthy because his spider was stolen from another universe.)

This doesn’t make a lot of sense unless the comics’ Master Weaver character is introduced in the next movie, because then there would be a reason the multiverse is so spider-centric.

• Like 1
(edited)

What a cliffhanger!

At least the old gang is back together to help rescue Miles. Especially thrilled to see Spider-Man Noir, he was very missed in this movie.

I love Mayday. I would happily watch a whole movie of Peter being a superhero and a family man; it would be such a nice break from the usual Peter Parker angst.

Anyone else think it was interesting that Miguel basically did the exact same thing that Endgame Steve Rogers did, with the only real difference being he had to pay actual consequences for his actions? 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 4

First this movie is awesome.

It does make sense why all the Spider-characters believe these canon events must happen but that doesn't mean they actually HAVE TO happen and I look forward to Miles proving this. Even among the Spiders we've seen there have been deviations. First, they aren't all humans getting bitten by spiders, nor are they all men, named some variation of Peter, white, or living in New York. And, again, some aren't even human! Yes it sounds like all the Spiders who were following Miguel had the same story beats as each other* but I think they/Miguel came to this decision after he slid himself into his doppelgängers life and destroyed that universe.

The spider from 42 biting Miles instead of someone (Peter? Gwen? Miles before breaking bad? Someone else?) from the home world would seem to support this belief but, again, they don't actually know Miles' existence is going to destroy his or any universe. Watching them figure this out next year will be fun.

*For those who know the comics, is the T-Rex Spider living in our world but with dinosaurs? Because if not I want to know how the death of a police Captain could occur with no cops.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On Facebook, I asked if it was true that the movie didn't have any bits midway and at the end of the credits. One friend confirmed that, saying the movie would probably explode if it did. And damn, he was not wrong.

Despite the feeling that I'm drowning in Easter Eggs and Miles getting repeatedly p-slapped upside his soul, I had fun. Way too many moving parts, but still a great story about power, responsibility, and all things beyond. Yeah, Miguel was a hardass, but I wouldn't call him a villain for not wanting worlds to be extinguished. Spot looks half-baked as a character but you can really see him as the principal antagonist . . . even above Prowler Miles, which probably shocked people who weren't paying attention.

Is there a list of all the Spider-People that popped up? I think we'll be burnt out on those by the time Beyond comes out, but it's fun to spot them. Live-action scenes from ASM and Spider-Man to up the angst? Hey, why not?!?

Who was the live-action guy that was being held captive?* I feel like I'm supposed to know him. Also, I got spoiled on Spot visiting Earth-Venom. I'm glad Eddie didn't show up. Tom Hardy was an improvement on Topher Grace, but Venom doesn't belong in this movie.

I was also spoiled on Scarlet Spider. Anyone else think he was a substitute for Noir? Come to think of it, wasn't Andy Samberg the guy that goofed on Nic Cage on SNL?

No Spider-Ham . . . because of John Mulaney's ongoing problems? Or maybe Ham was too cartoon-like for this movie? Granted, we saw a Spider-Cat and a Spider-T-Rex but still . .

*Never mind, that mystery was solved. Wait, that Prowler was in Homecoming?

I collect sketches and commissions. I wound up getting the main Spider-team from the first movie, including Peter B. this year. Right now, Spider-Punk and Renaissance Vulture are at the top of my list to get covered.

• Like 1
(edited)

Box Office: ‘Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse’ Slingshots to Huge $120.5 Million Debut
By Rebecca Rubin    June 4, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/film/box-office/box-office-spiderman-across-the-spiderverse-opening-weekend-1235632404/ 

“Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” webbed up a stellar $120.5 million in its domestic box office debut. The film beat expectations to land the second-biggest opening weekend of the year, behind only “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” with $146 million, as well as the third-biggest opening weekend for any “Spider-Man” film.

Sony’s animated sequel is benefitting from great reviews and positive word-of-mouth, as well as goodwill from its predecessor, 2018’s Oscar-winning “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.” Initial ticket sales were significantly higher than the first film, which introduced audiences to Miles Morales and the idea that “anyone can wear the mask” and opened to just $35.5 million. But it proved to have enduring appeal and stuck around in theaters for a while, ending its run with $190 million in North America and $384 million globally.

“Across the Spider-Verse” seized another $88.1 million from 59 territories in its international box office debut, led by China with $17.3 million. That brings its worldwide total to $208.6 million to start.

Edited by tv echo

Finally got a chance to see it. What a film! Packed to the gills with jokes, emotion, absolutely bonkers animation, and Easter eggs. Wow, wow, wow!

There's definitely a level-up element compared to the first films. As incredible as the animation was there, this one takes even bolder leaps. Some of the emotional scenes were just fantastically done, like Gwen's opening sequence, Rio's private talk with Miles, and the Prowler!Miles revelation. And I appreciated that, in addition to obviously getting *way* more Spider-People and Easter eggs in general, we got more specific focus on a bigger number of them this time around. I loved Spider-Man Noir, Peni, and Spider-Ham in the first film, but they felt very much like second-stringers compared to the main plot movers of Miles, Gwen, and Peter. I liked what we got of Hobie, Pravitr, and Miguel--while some of course had more screentime than others, I liked getting to know them. (Though I was surprised that we really didn't get all that much Jessica Drew. I was expecting more of her.) Plus, some of those Easter eggs just made my nerdy heart sing!

While I liked the story, I think the first one has it beat in that department. It's not even the fact that it has so many more moving parts. Rather, I thought the shift from "your collider explosion left holes in the multiverse that we have to fix!" to "all Spider-People are beholden to the canon, and any deviation from that will rip the multiverse apart!" felt a little clumsy. And I'm generally good with a particular hero/team being the only hope of *saving* the multiverse, but the idea of that hero/team being the *center* of the multiverse is a less compelling plot for me; it makes things too grandiose.

And even if Miguel was able to convince all those Spider-People that Miles didn't "count" as a Spider-Man and was a danger to the multiverse, it's hard for me to buy that nearly all of them would've gone after him in that way. Or, for that matter, that they would've accepted Miguel's assertion that they shouldn't even try to save these important people in their universes. I think back to Into the Spider-Verse, when they realized that one of them would have to sacrifice themselves and stay behind to blow up the collider after everyone else went home, and *all* of them said, "I'll do it." Maybe all Spider-People are connected by these certain tragedies in their lives, but other things connect them too, and that attitude is one of them.

Here's hoping that, when the third film comes out, Miles is able to prove (with the aid of Gwen and friends) that Spider-People don't have to be bound like that, and while they can't avoid every tragedy, they have to keep fighting and trying.

Also, any chance of getting Silk in the third one? It'd be neat to see her.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, angora said:

Also, any chance of getting Silk in the third one? It'd be neat to see her.

Sony is working on a Silk TV show, with Lord and Miller in some exec producing role. With the Lord & Miller connection, you'd definitely think Silk might show up.

Plus there was originally some rumor in 2019 that Sony was developing an animated spinoff of the Spider-Verse movies that would star female Spiders. Gwen, Peni and now Jessica are a good start but I'd certainly think they could fit a few more in the movie if that's the plan. There's been more recent news that Sony is still working on an animated Spider-Woman movie, but who knows if that's a multiversal team-up.

• Like 1
(edited)

Watched it tonight and it was pretty amazing. The plot seemed like a lot (once they end up in Spider HQ The Spot is kind of forgotten) but for a 2 part movie I imagine that will work itself out. But the animation and the voice acting and the characters were just so good it didn't really bother me. I think my favourite animation bits were when Gwen goes home and talks to her dad and the background is water colours and kind of out of focus, like tears. Then as they work it out the background becomes more and more clear.

I also liked how when they got on the elevator at HQ you can in some shots see how Gwen's pony tail is upside down, then they eventually reveal that the are riding the elevator upside down. That was really cool.

Actually I think overall I just liked what they did with Gwen. I was impressed with how dark they took her character as she was basically a homeless teenage runaway.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 1

It's been so long since I read the Spider-Verse comics, but I was just looking back at it. The movie actually pulls so heavily from the issue where Spider-Woman/Ghost Spider/Spider-Gwen was first introduced. Her origin, standing up for Peter Parker, Peter dying in her arms after reverting from the Lizard formula, losing herself in her drumming and thus messing up the band's song, being held at gunpoint by her dad and accused of murdering Peter, even her speech to her dad about the Spider-Woman mask being her badge.

• Like 2

I finally got to see it today and it lived up to the hype. Gorgeous movie and I loved all the main heroes. Gwen’s arc was so well done and I loved that she was front and center. I also loved everything with Miles. They really did an amazing job with all the animation and character beats. I loved Gwen putting together the team.

Unfortunately, I didn’t love the plot. It really lost me once it became wall-to-wall Spider-People. I absolutely hated the idea that Miles being Spider-Man is an anomaly. 

Basically, I loved, loved, loved the beginning and end but was less than thrilled with the middle. I’m still excited about the next one but it is entirely because I want to see that team working together. I’m not really invested in the plot which feels like it is going down a really predictable route. 

I kind of wish they had followed Gwen the entire time with little check-ins on Miles. I have a feeling that is going on her journey through learning everything could have helped me to be invested more in the plot. 

On 6/8/2023 at 4:13 PM, angora said:

While I liked the story, I think the first one has it beat in that department. It's not even the fact that it has so many more moving parts. Rather, I thought the shift from "your collider explosion left holes in the multiverse that we have to fix!" to "all Spider-People are beholden to the canon, and any deviation from that will rip the multiverse apart!" felt a little clumsy.

This is it exactly. 

12 hours ago, Dani said:

I absolutely hated the idea that Miles being Spider-Man is an anomaly. 

That theory was proposed by a vampire spider suffering from PTSD from his own stint at being an anomaly. I don't think we're supposed to take it as an objective truth.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ursula said:

That theory was proposed by a vampire spider suffering from PTSD from his own stint at being an anomaly. I don't think we're supposed to take it as an objective truth.

It doesn’t really matter to me if it is true. It shaped a huge part of the plot. It brought my enjoyment of the movie for me. If anything what you mentioned makes it worse because the issue with the theory is so telegraphed but everyone just buys it. It went to big. They pulled it back in for the end which helped a lot but it felt like obvious PLOT to get the main characters in place rather than a realistic progression of the story. 

I recently listened to a podcast where they thought Marvel chickened out by not making Hope the main character of Ant-Man and Wasp and that’s really how I feel about this one. What kept it from being a perfect movie for me was that all of the setup for actual conflict happened off screen with Gwen. I feel like we needed to see that progress through her eyes. 

(edited)

From ‘Mario’ to ‘The Flash’: The Good, the Bad and the Meh of the 2023 Box Office (So Far)
By Rebecca Rubin, Brent Lang    Jun 27, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/box-office-2023-hits-misses-the-flash-super-mario-bros-1235654665/ 

THE GREAT
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Opening weekend: $120 million
Current global gross: $560 million
Verdict: “Across the Spider-Verse” is a reminder that superhero fatigue doesn’t exist when the movie is actually good. With a fresh take on the adventures of a time-tested hero, Sony’s animated comic book adaptation is another box office winner. The $100 million-budgeted sequel even surpassed the entire theatrical run of its predecessor, 2018’s Oscar-winning “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” after less than two weeks of release. Naturally, Miles Morales, as Spider-Man is known in this universe, isn’t ready to hang up his mask. A third installment, “Beyond the Spider-Verse,” is set for 2024.

Edited by tv echo
On 6/25/2023 at 10:19 PM, Dani said:

Unfortunately, I didn’t love the plot. It really lost me once it became wall-to-wall Spider-People. I absolutely hated the idea that Miles being Spider-Man is an anomaly. 

I think what Miguel meant was that *this* Miles was the anomaly. Not that he's the anomaly because he's *A* Miles. It was a spider from another Earth (which was shown in the first movie) that was supposed to bite the Miles of Earth 42 while the Miles that we know was supposed to become the Prowler. 

40 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

I think what Miguel meant was that *this* Miles was the anomaly. Not that he's the anomaly because he's *A* Miles. 

I not sure about that but I was talking about this Miles. Although we didn’t see any other version of Miles which has to be deliberate. 

I am hopeful that the next movie will close the plotholes and that it is deliberate since Miguel clearly has issues. 

19 hours ago, Dani said:

I not sure about that but I was talking about this Miles. Although we didn’t see any other version of Miles which has to be deliberate. 

I am hopeful that the next movie will close the plotholes and that it is deliberate since Miguel clearly has issues. 

But we saw the Miles that was meant to be bitten at the end..unless you meant at the HQ. True there's only one Miles. But at the same time (as far as we know) there's only one Gwen, Miguel, Hobie and Pav too. 

22 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

But we saw the Miles that was meant to be bitten at the end..unless you meant at the HQ.

I meant at HQ. But my issues with Miles being anomaly have nothing to do with any other version of Miles Morales or any other character. I hate that it is the plot that they went with for this particular Miles Morales for a lot of different reasons. I still think the movie was amazing. I just wish they made some slightly different choices. 

Finally saw it and that may have been the best movie I've seen this year. (Admittedly I don't go to the movies as often as I did pre-covid).

I have to admit that the Miguel and the HQ felt off, but I think that was intentional. He came across as more of a cult leader than a hero, and I have the feeling that he's either wrong about a lot of things or not being completely honest. The fact that he didn't want to let Gwen in, barely tolerated Peter B, and apparently didn't invite Spider-ham or Spider-man Noir to a very non-select group is highly suspect.

• Like 2

I got the art book and it's spectacular. This is the (mainstream?) movie that looks the most like pure concept art put directly on screen, but it's still cool to see concept art for the movie and some discussion of why the worlds look the way they do. I hadn't realized that the future world (Earth 928?) has architectural lines overrunning the actual lines of the structure to make it look more like the Copic marker concept art they were inspired by.

The book must have been locked down before the movie was, because there's a whole piece about the Bar With No Name (a bar for Marvel villains; it's been in the comics for a long time) and the bartender there; neither of which show up at all in the final movie.