Type keyword(s) to search

Homespun Marketing: Local Commercials

• Start Topic

I can't find a video of our skeeviest local lawyer's ad. There's a client (some guy with red hair, lots of neck tattoos and big earrings) relating his problems with another driver "suffering from a bit of road rage" who hit him on his motorcycle while going 75 mph. He says he thought he was dying so he instructs the EMTs to call his lawyer.

WTF?! This lowlife obviously is closer to his lawyer than his friends or family.

Then the lawyer, who looks like a fat ferret in a suit, comes on to shill his services. They both can't speak clearly enough so that you can understand the schyster's name. If it wasn't shown on the screen you'd have no idea who this clown is. I doubt if many of his clients can read so I don't see him reaching that many.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-victory-autowreckers-commercial-met-20150121-story.html

If you grew up in the Chicago area in the past 30 years, chances are you saw — and are probably well-acquainted with — the TV commercial for Victory Auto Wreckers.

The ad, which has been running with only slight variations since 1985, features a man in now-vintage attire trying to open the door of his 1973 Chevrolet Impala, only to have it fall off the car and into the street, narrowly missing his foot.

"That old car is worth money," proclaims the commercial, which then directs viewers to call Victory Auto Wreckers, an auto salvage business in Bensenville.

To celebrate the upcoming 30th anniversary of the commercial, Victory Auto Wreckers has announced a contest to create a new one. Contestants can submit their own version of the commercial or something different through a YouTube link, according to a news release.

The company will select a winner each week in February and March. Of those, one could win $500 and be selected as Victory's next commercial.

here's the original: 

This commercial always cracks us up because the ONE time we wanted to get rid of an old car, they said no, they wouldn't pay for it, but for $50 they would tow it away.   Hilarious, because it was the same year as the car in the ad, AND the doors were still firmly attached.The lines "that old car is worth money"  and "we'll give you cash on the spot"   didn't apply. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 1

When I looked on YouTube for this clip, I discovered that this guy has made many commercials since 2007.  He's just having a good time --- they should cast this guy on Fresh Off the Boat as the business next to the dad's steakhouse....he could be an authentic piece of Central FL on a show based in Orlando.

• Love 1
(edited)

For some weird reason, your post about NYC in the 70's gave me a flashback to a commercial from my NJ youth in that same era:  I give you, Palisades Amusement Park:  

As an aside, I really, really wanted to enter the Little Miss America Pageant.  My wise parents did not even entertain the idea.

Edited by cynicat
  • Love 1

For some weird reason, your post about NYC in the 70's gave me a flashback to a commercial from my NJ youth in that same era:  I give you, Palisades Amusement Park:  

I realized not long ago that without prompting I can STILL sing this commercial word for word.  (And now will probably have it in my head the rest of the day ;) 

• Love 1

This commercial always cracks us up because the ONE time we wanted to get rid of an old car, they said no, they wouldn't pay for it, but for $50 they would tow it away.   Hilarious, because it was the same year as the car in the ad, AND the doors were still firmly attached.The lines "that old car is worth money"  and "we'll give you cash on the spot"   didn't apply. 

Lmao!  The Victory Auto Wreckers is a classic.  I love it when that busted-ass door falls off and nearly lands on his foot.

Speaking of Chicago classics...there is nothing like the Eagleman commercial.  The terrible acting, the 90s fashion, the giant anthropomorphic bird...it's hilarious and horrifying at the same time.

• Love 2

I went looking for an actual commercial from an actual company that's in Dalton, GA. I couldn't find the one they run, but I found this. Which is obviously a parody, but it's shot in front of the actual building!! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Feug9NBN_k

Here's the link to the real company's website, and their real commercials come close to saying naughty stuff, but not quite.

https://www.beavercarpets.com/

• Love 1

That's not an old commercial. Unfortunately, I see old Bulldog at least once a day. Did you check out his ears? OMG! If one of the elephants at the zoo ever need an ear transplant they could use one of his.

• Love 2

There's a car dealership called Koeppel Auto Group, and an ad launching a new spinoff called K Auto Group drives me insane - the spokesmodel insists on saying "Koeppel Addo Group" and "K Addo Group".  Argh.

I think this commercial has it backwards. It's the man who works at the desk who needs his hearing assessed. The oddball customer asked for his messages, and the hotel employee thinks he said massage. Do they really think the British pronounce it that way -- because they don't. 

They missed a golden opportunity to bust out a version of "Bad Boys" Just think - "fat boy, fat boy, who ya gonna call, who ya gonna call when they come for you? Fat Boys, Fat boys..."

Edited by riley702
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, xls said:

Oh boy, am I can't be the only one who thinks she looked better before the make-over can I?

I can't figure out if there's one actress playing both parts or not. It's *really* horribly edited; I don't even believe the two POVs of the first section are filmed in the same location.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I don't know if it's homespun or not -- sharing it here hoping that someone can tell me what the lyrics are in the song.  Car Hop -- cars -- something -- ready to go.  What's the missing word(s)?  I've seen these ads for years and it's driving me nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJuycuVhHOE

Many local companies buy "stock commercials" tailored for them,

On 9/4/2016 at 8:03 PM, xls said:

Oh boy, am I can't be the only one who thinks she looked better before the make-over can I?

She looks fine in the final shot of her sitting in the pedicure chair, but when she says she's going to make herself another appointment, her hair doesn't look as good.  So basically they're saying they can style your hair but by the time you get from the pedicure chair to the front door, your hair will already have wilted.

7 hours ago, friendperidot said:

This had gone away for a while, and now it's back. It doesn't make sense. None of it makes sense. I gather it's used in many markets for different local services. Hate it.

I think I've seen it for some place around here. The sign language "I love you!" is super annoying, for some reason.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bitchin camaro said:

This is probably my favorite local commercial ever. "We ain't mad at ya!"

Hey, neighbor--sort of. I had to look up the place and phone number since I could barely understand the thick accents. I expected more rural or deeper south than Spartanburg. I'm in Charlotte. I grew up in NC and am an eighth-generation native, so I sound very Southern myself.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Hey, neighbor--sort of. I had to look up the place and phone number since I could barely understand the thick accents. I expected more rural or deeper south than Spartanburg. I'm in Charlotte. I grew up in NC and am an eighth-generation native, so I sound very Southern myself.

I don't (think I) sound all that southern, and after I moved out west for a few years, I honestly wasn't sure what language some of the folks around here were speaking - lol.

• Love 1

This is for all the locals from my neck of the woods: Standard Insurance lady.   Her hand gestures make me nuts.  Look, I was in the speech club in high school.  One of the things I learned and retained is that your hand gestures must look natural.  That lady in the commercial looks so forced, I keep thinking she's not trying to sell me insurance, she's lecturing me. I don't like being lectured.  Unfortunately, there is no escaping that commercial.

I can't find the commercial online to post it, but there is a local ad for the BIll Allen Law Firm where the "client" extols the virtue of Bill because he went. to. court. with. her. AKA his job!! They play it every morning when I'm getting ready for work and I want to reach through the screen and smack sense into the woman. 

• Love 2
(edited)

In my neck of the woods the local denture maker has a commercial with lovely shots of dentures that he is working on in his shop. Lovely I tell you!

Edited by rcc

I'm in a rural area, so most places here don't spend big $$$ on ads for TV.  Many are just static - an image with a voice over.

My least favorite is for a local place that sells horsey stuff.  There are a lot of farms here, and we do have some people who are in to horse showing, etc.  Their tagline is "For those who canter....and those who can't!".  I can't, and I have no interest in your horsey store at all.  One of the aforementioned families that liked horse showing had a daughter in my grade.  She had a birthday party at her house in elementary school that I got invited to.  They put me on her horse.  He tossed me.  I don't do horses after that.  I'll look at them - they're pretty - but that's as far as I go.

• Love 1