Type keyword(s) to search

Homespun Marketing: Local Commercials

• Start Topic

I like that new one, @bilgistic.  They had a whole series of commercials, over several years, featuring Mr. Jenkins and Bobby! one of the technicians, sitting in the truck at night, waiting for a call.  They would usually end with them driving off, with Bobby saying "Buckle your seat belt, Mr. Jenkins."  I always got an "aging serial killer and his young protege hunting their next victim" vibe from them, probably not what they were after...

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I guess he can't ever cut his hair.

Guess not. If you watch it.until the end you will see these other two women with big 80s hair. Please let me assure everyone that this commercial does not represent KC hairstyles. And I hope not the status of our legal representation.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

This is a local lawyer here in Charlotte.  He's on TV a bunch, and has a couple of these with the little kid lawyer...I assume he got his ass kicked every day growing up.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

OMG. I bet he's the laughing stock of all the other lawyers in Texas.

I don't know, it's Texas, he may be the envy of all the other lawyers... "Why didn't I think of doing a commercial like that???"

• Love 2
On 8/29/2018 at 10:59 PM, Silver Raven said:

Bryan Wilson, Texas Law Hawk.  Fueled by Red Bull, apparently.

OK, that made me laugh.  The cardboard breathalyzer with the little person inside dressed as a cop was the cherry on top.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 8/30/2018 at 10:09 AM, Moose135 said:

I don't know, it's Texas, he may be the envy of all the other lawyers... "Why didn't I think of doing a commercial like that???"

Yeah, I'm thinking he knows his audience and the current climate pretty well. He's a buffoon for sure, but then...something something no political talk something something.

• Love 8

The Pennsylvania lottery has used 'Gus' for awhile in many different commercials.  For a local commercial, they're pretty cute.  I think he's supposed to be a groundhog, but they probably couldn't get the rights to use the name Phil.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:34 AM, cynicat said:

The Pennsylvania lottery has used 'Gus' for awhile in many different commercials.  For a local commercial, they're pretty cute.  I think he's supposed to be a groundhog, but they probably couldn't get the rights to use the name Phil.

Yep - he's Gus Groundhog.  I think they just wanted to differentiate him from Punxsutawney Phil.

• Love 1

There's a commercial that I see ever day at least twice for this car lot that isn't really local to where I live, but they have a lot of billboards in my area, and people I know do drive there to get cars because they're a huge dealership, and they claim to do better deals than anyone else.  I tried dealing with them once, and they laughed at me that I was looking for a car under $10,000 for my husband, so they burned any goodwill with me.

The woman in their commercial over-annunciates everything.  Ford becomes "Fo-Ward".  She pronounces the somewhat silent "d" in "Dodge" (Dod-juh).  They talk about their dual pick-ups, and it comes out "Doo-elly Die-zels".  I just want to chuck something through the TV.

• Love 6

I think this is a local ad -- I can't find it anywhere online, which makes me sad, because I'd love to share it.  It makes me laugh every single time.

It's for a furniture company, and there are two women sitting on a sofa, chatting about the furniture.  Meanwhile, in the background, three kids are running around and around a wall/partition, through a doorway, and yelling.  One of the women calmly gets up, walks over to the wall/partition, and slides a large wooden shelving unit in front of the doorway.  The next thing you hear is a thump, and things fall off the shelves.

I know I am evil for laughing, but I can't help it.

• LOL 8

Local radio ad in Philadelphia/Delaware/Southern NJ: Springfield Mitsubishi's spokesperson does a wonderful (terrible?) and exaggerated impersonation of Marisa Tomei's Mona Lisa Vito from My Cousin Vinnie. The car dealership's claim to fame is that you only have to pay one dime for a down payment on a new car. "One. Doime." --in Mona Lisa's voice

My mother hates the commercials, but I love them. The actress is all in and doesn't care how ridiculous she sounds. And I guess the ads are working. There have been several versions of the commercial, and they've been running a while. 

• LOL 1
On 10/13/2018 at 9:34 AM, cynicat said:

That because he's PA's "second most famous groundhog." Keep on scratching! :-) :-) 

Don't know where in PA you are but the ads for Shenderovich, Shenderovich and Fishman crack me up. Those twins trying to look serious....

• LOL 1

Community Builders, a regional home improvement company, the owner (I guess) has a tag line of "I'm going to save you a lot of money." I hate the way he says it. On the words "a lot", it' like he choked on the words, they caught in the back of his throat and now he's gargling them out. It annoys me. It is not cute or clever.

I just saw a local ad (produced by the station) that had a little girl singing the national anthem.  Her voice was so high-pitched that it actually hurt my ears.  I felt terrible about muting the national anthem (and a little girl!), but I just couldn't take it.

• Love 1
On 4/30/2018 at 6:23 AM, knitorpurl said:

This one cannot compete with the Tarzan for wackiness but always cracked me up when it used to run. 

Imagine being the poor receptionist:  "Good morning, Stacy Shaw Law!" "Good morning, Stacy Shaw Law!"

• LOL 1
21 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Imagine being the poor receptionist:  "Good morning, Stacy Shaw Law!" "Good morning, Stacy Shaw Law!"

Makes me think of Bob Loblaw from Arrested Development

• LOL 3

We have a commercial running here in the Charlotte, NC area about a doctor that does, "Veins!  All day everyday!".  He's recently put out a new commercial where he walks up to his office and his entire nursing staff is outside playing volley ball.  Then he tells them, "Come inside!  You know we do veins all day everyday!".  I was a nurse for thirty years and nobody ever asked me to play volley ball between patients.  I feel a little cheated now. 

• LOL 8

I used to live near Columbus, GA/Phenix City, AL (that's not misspelled) and a local commercial we had was for a septic service.    They were called Royal Flush.     They were singing, and dancing, and were the actual employees.    Fortunately, when they were servicing my septic tank, before I sold the house, they were very professional, and weren't singing and dancing while they worked. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

I was in Columbus GA one weekend and took a drive over the bridge to Phenix City. I drove past the "Phenix City Department of Water and Sanitation Department."  I wondered if the sign maker got paid by the letter on the sign and was he the one who added the redundant "Department."

That annoying "Piccanil" Brat for Pinnacle is back.  I wouldn't use those people even if they offered to do renovations for free. Not until they teach that brat some manners.  "That's what I said! Piccanil!"

Oh, gosh local car dealer. I get that your premise is “hey, 2020, the worst, right?” but maybe “kiss 2020 goodbye” with lots of customers and salespeople mingling with no masks or social distance is a little too soon!

• Love 4

Spudnuts is a great local donut shop here in Northeast Ohio. This commercial is from 1996. It is still going strong in the same location and the building seen briefly in the clip looks exactly the same today. 😊

• Love 2

A local (Seattle) cosmetic dentist has been running a commercial featuring a captioned “actual patient” whose entire speech is her relaying a second-hand testimonial that she got from another unnamed, unseen patient in the waiting room. She concludes by saying that someone asked her if she’d had a facelift, to which she replied “yes, I did.”  I think the intent is “I’ve got great teeth, and all my friends mistakenly thought I had a facelift,” but that’s lost in translation. 

Edited by mbluecpa
15 hours ago, mbluecpa said:

A local (Seattle) cosmetic dentist has been running a commercial featuring a captioned “actual patient” whose entire speech is her relaying a second-hand testimonial that she got from another unnamed, unseen patient in the waiting room. She concludes by saying that someone asked her if she’d had a facelift, to which she replied “yes, I did.”  I think the intent is “I’ve got great teeth, and all my friends mistakenly thought I had a facelift,” but that’s lost in translation. 

That reminds me of a lady I used to work with. One day, after she had a vacation, she looked different.  I asked her best friend in the office if I was imagining it and Debra said, "No, I think she got new dentures"  LOL.

• LOL 2
On 9/1/2018 at 12:30 PM, janie jones said:

I would never hire Bryan Wilson, Texas Law Hawk.  But then I don't drink and drive so I guess I don't need his services anyway.

We have a Jim Adler the Texas Law Hammer , And I would never hire  either one of them. 🤣

• LOL 2
On 1/18/2021 at 1:00 PM, Nicmar said:

We have a Jim Adler the Texas Law Hammer , And I would never hire  either one of them. 🤣

Chicago has a "Hammer" lawyer as well. I wonder if every city is required to have one.