Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 12/6/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

Sara's idea about making a kid sit through "video after video" sounds like brainwashing. I don't know that we want to start using Soviet era techniques to (theoretically) teach someone the error of their ways. Surely there are more effective ways to help a person recognize the shared humanity of others without resorting to involuntary conditioning. 

If Sara had taken the time to imagine someone on "the other side" employing this method on kids, I think she'd be horrified.

• Love 4

I am not convinced that Hillary Clinton has "gotten past" losing the election.  If she had, she wouldn't keep talking about it. It is like the situation where you've had a bad experience or done something foolish and you can't stop replaying it in your head. She should be talking about what she's doing now, not looking backward. That would demonstrate real resilience in my opinion. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I am not convinced that Hillary Clinton has "gotten past" losing the election.  If she had, she wouldn't keep talking about it. It is like the situation where you've had a bad experience or done something foolish and you can't stop replaying it in your head. She should be talking about what she's doing now, not looking backward. That would demonstrate real resilience in my opinion. 

Maybe it’s like survivors guilt. She loves her country and if she had won, she may believe she could have saved the country from the last four years of hell. 

Edited by Axie
  • Useful 2
  • Love 16
18 hours ago, Buckeye71034 said:

the constant "we were talking this morning" "we were talking backstage" is almost as annoying as the name dropping sunny does.

It also reminds me of Chris Christie's "if you read my book", as if teasing about what was discussed will make us keep tuning in, but it makes us want to tune out, instead.  You've got 44 minutes in each show for content; don't waste words name dropping or mentioning previous conversations - focus on the conversation you are having right now for your audience!

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2
On 12/7/2021 at 3:55 PM, Buckeye71034 said:

really don't think that was a gotcha. she was only saying how ridiculous it was Ghislaine is trying to play the victim. she just had too much wording prepared and a poor delivery. not any worse than when they end a sad and inspiring segment with a legal statement abruptly. 

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification.  I had just automatically tuned her out when the screechy started.  

22 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I don't think an unruly student is going to "voluntarily" agree to be punished, lol. Any punishment will be "involuntary." And in defense of Sara, it definitely doesn't sound like "brainwashing" to me, it sounds like a watered down version of sensitivity training...

The behavioral goal of getting students to stop saying offensive or racist things at school could probably be achieved this way (videos) or through other sanctions, and maybe this is an adequate goal, because it could keep conflict down.  I doubt it would result in deeper, more thoughtful change in the students' attitudes, though.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

From what I've read she was apparently very different back then--more liberal and nicer.  They married in 2001, so 20 years ago, and separated in 2005.  At the time she had been a prosecutor and appeared on CNN and MSNBC.  It was after that that she went to Fox.  I don't think she was quite the person we see today when they married.

She was gorgeous and came across much more classy then, didn't she? They made a very striking couple.  

It's sad how little some people care about the disgusting, racist attacks on Ilhan Omar. I'm glad Ana said no one should talk like Boebert no matter their politics. 

Pope Francis is pretty cool. I agree that "sins of the flesh" aren't serious. 

Michael B. Jordan is CUTE AS HELL. I don't know if I want to watch a tearjerker movie though. I'm sure it's good, but I am sensitive. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3

so maybe Sara's idea of a punishment was poorly phrased but she's absolutely right that if peoples behaviors and views are going to be reformed ANYWHERE its the classroom. you can't write people off as hopeless. if you believe these kids are becoming bigoted from their family and home, then just shipping them back off there isn't like to help anything.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Axie said:

Laverne Cox gets on my nerves.

I love Laverne!  As to age differences. I was 36 when I married my hubs, who was 5 years younger than me.  After, he retired at 62, his health took a turn for the worse,  and I became a caregiver for 8 years, until his passing.   I knew that I had to stay healthy to give him the care he needed, and I would not have wanted it any other way.  There were times when it was not easy, but, love gets you through it. I regret that he never really got to enjoy his retirement, because, he was a hard worker, in a very demanding work environment.  

• Love 3

ABC's special report interrupted the show for me after they finished the segment on May-December relationships. I hate that that happened *today* because the show had been so much fun up to that point with Laverne Cox there. I'll see if they posted clips of the rest later, I guess.

I agreed with Ana and Sunny in regards to Smollett. A victimless crime like that one is much more forgivable than something serious like pedophilia or murder, as long as he is open about what he did being wrong. Tbh, I've never seen any of the projects he's acted in anyway, so it's all sort of moot for me, personally.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

as long as he is open about what he did was wrong

I missed the beginning of the show so I don’t know if this came up but I believe Jussee is still insisting he was attacked. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Tammy12 said:

I love Laverne and Cynthia and was excited to see them this morning, but all I got was Bob Dole coverage. Guess I'll watch it over the weekend

2 hours ago, Tammy12 said:

I love Laverne and Cynthia and was excited to see them this morning, but all I got was Bob Dole coverage. Guess I'll watch it over the weekend

You can watch the entire show on You Tube,  without commercials. 

just finished it, as we were interrupted as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I agreed with Ana and Sunny in regards to Smollett. A victimless crime like that one is much more forgivable than something serious like pedophilia or murder, as long as he is open about what he did being wrong. 

If white people had staged an attack by white people pretending to be homophobic black thugs, Sunny would have been all over it, wanting them prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for a hate crime. Jussie has not taken responsibility for any of it. How many people were killed or injured while police were tied up by Jussie's diversion of time & resources?  

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 18
36 minutes ago, deirdra said:

If white people had staged an attack by white people pretending to be homophobic black thugs, Sunny would have been all over it, wanting them prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for a hate crime. Jussie has not taken responsibility for any of it. How many people were killed or injured while police were tied up by Jussie's diversion of time & resources?  

Once it was uncovered as a hoax, it seemed to me that Jussie's plan sounded like something he cribbed from a TV show (maybe Scandal?), not something that was really well thought out. It really is terrible that people with real problems probably got ignored due to this.

• Love 4

comparing Jussie to the Duggar thing was bizarre but I don't think the convo showed the magnitude of his crime. the investigation for a fake event that let happen instead of fessing up early cost Chicago tax payers $130,000. and he still isn't remorseful. shameful man who shouldn't be allowed to work in Hollywood for at least a decade. so this crime is only "victimless" if white collar crimes are also victimless.

Edited by Buckeye71034
  • Love 7
52 minutes ago, Buckeye71034 said:

comparing Jussie to the Duggar thing was bizarre but I don't think the convo showed the magnitude of his crime.

Ana's attempt at whatabout-ism deflecting to the Duggar story...

Then Joy made it awkward by asking of Duggar can be forgiven. Ay, Joy! 

Did y'all notice at the very beginning of the show, after Laverne spoke and Joy was about to begin the first topic, Ana interrupted. The camera was still on Joy and she got a very frustrated look on her face. It was quick but made me wonder if she was maybe a little bit bothered by Ana.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Buckeye71034 said:

comparing Jussie to the Duggar thing was bizarre but I don't think the convo showed the magnitude of his crime. the investigation for a fake event that let happen instead of fessing up early cost Chicago tax payers $130,000. and he still isn't remorseful. shameful man who shouldn't be allowed to work in Hollywood for at least a decade. so this crime is only "victimless" if white collar crimes are also victimless.

I think that was in regards to the whole politicians' initial reactions to stories part of the topic, as far as one side coming to the defense and then all the facts bear out something different in the long run. I don't buy that police just stopped covering other calls and crimes because they were dealing with this. Now the money expended, on the other hand, I do understand that part of it. I would be surprised if he isn't made to pay for that.

8 hours ago, Haleth said:

I missed the beginning of the show so I don’t know if this came up but I believe Jussee is still insisting he was attacked. 

Oh, really? Well, I expect eventually he will have to stop going with that. I see him eventually trying an apology tour because maintaining the lie won't work out for him career-wise. I don't think there's anyone who believes him...

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I don't buy that police just stopped covering other calls and crimes because they were dealing with this. Now the money expended, on the other hand, I do understand that part of it. I would be surprised if he isn't made to pay for that.

I don't think that the police stopped covering all other calls and crimes, but they likely didn't have as many people available to work them. I suspect that any high-profile case such as this with all the publicity will cause police departments to divert some of their people to investigate it, so other less prominent cases don't get as much coverage. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I don't think that the police stopped covering all other calls and crimes, but they likely didn't have as many people available to work them. I suspect that any high-profile case such as this with all the publicity will cause police departments to divert some of their people to investigate it, so other less prominent cases don't get as much coverage. 

the case and investigation also caused a lot of local drama and tension amongst the Cook County DA and police. This is the last thing a county plagued by so much corruption and crime should be worried about...

• Love 5
On 12/10/2021 at 7:48 PM, Blissfool said:

Ana's attempt at whatabout-ism deflecting to the Duggar story...

Then Joy made it awkward by asking of Duggar can be forgiven. Ay, Joy! 

Did y'all notice at the very beginning of the show, after Laverne spoke and Joy was about to begin the first topic, Ana interrupted. The camera was still on Joy and she got a very frustrated look on her face. It was quick but made me wonder if she was maybe a little bit bothered by Ana.

Nah i think Joy was just annoyed with the timing of it.  When she's ready to move on, come on chop!chop!  I don't recall what Ana interrupted to say 

• Love 3