Type keyword(s) to search

The Human Beings Known as the Arnold-Klein Family

• Start Topic

On 12/20/2018 at 10:53 AM, BitterApple said:

Jen looks fantastic in that top picture. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Me, too!  I love that they try to make fun memories when they go for the surgeries and dr. appts.  I really think that helps the kids, who may need to have surgeries, and definitely many dr. appts, feel better about it all.  When they look back, they'll likely remember that there were times mom or dad or even they, themselves, had to have surgery, but they also had great adventures at the same time.  We try to do something similar with my son, but obviously on a smaller scale, when he goes to get his Remicade infusions every 6 weeks by declaring it a "party" day with a fun movie or game, junky snacks, etc.  

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Will is going to need his leg straightened I think.  It is very bowed which can affect his other joints like hips/ankles/knees resulting in poor gait, falling and possible discomfort.  He doesn’t seem mature enough to handle a surgery like that yet..   

Zach Roloff of Little People, Big World had surgery like that. He was a teenager, and they said the surgery can't be done until the person has grown as tall as he's going be. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Will is going to need his leg straightened I think.  It is very bowed which can affect his other joints like hips/ankles/knees resulting in poor gait, falling and possible discomfort.  He doesn’t seem mature enough to handle a surgery like that yet..   

Yep, but this is one reason that it's good when little people adopt little people. He has watched his dad have back surgery and his mom have hip surgery. 

As much as it will be hard for Will, it won't be totally new to him. It's part of what their family deals with.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, viewer said:

There is a posting on Jennifer's Facebook page that Zoey just celebrated 100 days of kindergarten.  Obviously, they held her back a year.  I really didn't think Zoey was behind.

Wow, that surprises me as well. 

• Love 1

I don't think Zoey was as far behind as Will was when he entered school but she was still showing delays the last episodes that aired.  I think some of the things some viewers thought were precocious or on target for Zoey were really things that kids that age and usually younger do all the time plus a couple lines were from TV viewing.   It's "reality" so producers set up situations and feed the kids lines so it's hard to know if something really originated with the child.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 6

Whatever happened to kids being kids? I understand holding a child back due to academic/developmental delays, but doing so because you think starting kindergarten a year later will be the difference maker between acceptance to Harvard and living in a crackhouse is ridiculously pathetic. 

• Love 9

The school cut off is September 1 in Florida so with a September 22 birthday, Zoey would already have been among the oldest in the class and turning 6 shortly after starting kindergarten.  The "red shirting" article generally applies to late spring and summer birthdays where the kids would be among the youngest of the class.  Zoey isn't 6 in kindergarten, she's been seven since September.  

My daughter in law, who is a special ed teacher and involved in education, did that with my grandchildren.  The idea was not for the earlier years but for the later years, especially for the boys, who tend to mature later.  So far so good with the oldest.  He is a leader and does very well in school.  No way to know if he would have done just as well if he started at age 5 vs. 6.

• Love 1
On 2/16/2019 at 4:56 PM, PinkSugar said:

It is very common for people in wealthier families to hold their kids back a year, especially if the child is the youngest.  

I had several friend's parents that did this. I grew up in an upper middle class MA suburb. I know these people wanted their child to be the oldest or one of the oldest in the class and hope that would mean doing better in the later years of schooling.  My best friend was older then me and in a grade behind. She was very smart, her parents just wanted her to be the smartest in her class and she went to Harvard so I guess it worked for them. 

I find it odd as I have lived in different states the age cut off for school. Where I live right now it is July 31st, so if you turn 5 on August 20th you wait a year to start school but in other states I have lived in the cut off is Dec 31 and one was Jan 31st. 

If a child is kept back because of academic or social concerns, fine. My son graduated high school when he was about to turn 19 because of the early cut off date for school starting. It was weird because his entire year of being 18 , he was still treated like a minor because he was in school, I had to sign permission forms for him to view a movie or change a class, I was required to walk him to the gym to vote in the Nov. elections, there was a curfew, it just felt like he missed his first year of independence. 

• Love 1

These days at least here the kids can sign for themselves once they turn 18.  They have to keep up their grades or they get shifted to alternative schools since they are legally adults.  

The Klein kids are in Catholic school and the ones here test the kids and place them by the level they achieve on that as well as trying to adhere to the age cut off of the local school system.  It's more common there for a child to be asked to do a year of pre-K if they don't test well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, tomorrowgirl said:

I just saw Jennifer and Bill on HSN, selling Rocky & Maggie's pee pads with the pop up fire hydrant.  They tried to get Rocky to pee on the hydrant, but he was evidently camera shy.

Damn, I missed it! I'm going to see if I can find it online. 

• Love 2

I went to an elite private school and was one of the youngest kids in my class despite a February birthday because most parents held their kids back.  There was no stigma to it at all it was so common in my class.

• Love 1
On 7/26/2019 at 2:46 AM, bybrandy said:

I went to an elite private school and was one of the youngest kids in my class despite a February birthday because most parents held their kids back.  There was no stigma to it at all it was so common in my class.

I wonder what parents will do when the so-called advantage is wiped out because of so many parents decide to redshirt and you have kindergarten classes full of six-year-olds and being five is the exception rather than the norm.  Hold them back two years?  It's bound to happen.  At least in the places where this is really common and popular.

For Zoey though, I think it was probably a case of giving her every advantage given her early years.

• Love 2

Dr. Jen was on our local morning show today, talking about the simulation center that she runs. She was so informative and articulate; such a great speaker. But her hair was wild! Nothing like it looks on the show. I’m sure they use professional stylists for the show. LOL

• Love 1