Type keyword(s) to search

The Human Beings Known as the Arnold-Klein Family

• Start Topic

I think they both went through a lot to get to where they are. They have showed photos of their hospital stays following surgeries and certainly Bill is recuperating from very serious surgery now. Bill certainly talked about the feeling that he had been discriminated against at least one time in his job search. And that is important for people to know and learn from. And that is why i liked the show. They were demonstrating to people how they faced these obstacles. I liked seeing Bill in the grocery store cleverly figuring ot how to get items and not being sheepish in asking for assistance in getting things. And there was a poignant cautionary tale in China with Will. Will was turned away from one of the rides at the fair because he was too short. And Bill's response was that it would not be the last time. And I really respected that. I am happy that they are doing well, their health overall is good, that they have their family, but now its more like lets see what new car they get, if they buy the beach house, what new business venture will Bill get into, etc. All interesting but It is just time to move on and I think they are showing us that.

• Love 2

Then why are we having this constant offensive debate? If NO ONE wants to hear it out loud and on camera, and its obvious from watching that that do.... then why are there people constantly wishing they WOULDNT LIE and would ADMIT they receive help? Seriously.

My guess is that the debate rages on because unfortunately, they're doing neither. They're not talking about any help they have [and I wouldn't necessarily myself]. But they're not showing it either. And it seems to me that there should be a way to do that, very quietly - if they wanted to. Without breaking the TLC bank too.

I think some of the Jen hate is envy. People seem okay with poor little people. They enjoy watching people struggle. They are happy they don’t have the funds to modify their homes because they want to "keep it real". But Jen, even with her physical limitations had the drive and intellectual capacity to go to Johns Hopkins, become an MD, get a masters degree, teach, become a department head at a respected hospital, marry an attractive man who adores her, adopt two of the cutest kids on the planet and makes a ton of money. Jen doesn't live any differently than any other department head at a major hospital. Their houses and cars are probably comparable and I bet they have housekeepers and someone to take care of their kids. I think people are jealous of how well Jen played the cards she was dealt and it just makes them feel better to find every character flaw in Jen they can, real or imagined. They harp on the fact Jen doesn't show the struggle, just amazing, fantastic results. What’s wrong with that? Unless one takes pleasure in watching other people’s hardships?

I think there could be a lot of truth in this as well. 

• Love 2

adopt two of the cutest kids on the planet

Now that is the truth and I have heard Bill say those exact words himself!  LOL  

I am not reading posters questioning their financials but am reading the lack of honesty being portrayed by the Kleins and family.  They seem to think there is some shame attached to hiring help and that is not true.  No one begrudges anyone for employing someone else to perform duties they either can't perform or simply don't want to.  In their TH post spinal surgery video both Bill and Jen talk about how Jen has taken on additional tasks with the kids herself because Bill can no longer help and all this in addition to her 10 hour day.  The dishonesty continues.

They should be proud to be able to afford to employ others instead of feeling shame and hiding it.       

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 1

I think they both went through a lot to get to where they are. They have showed photos of their hospital stays following surgeries and certainly Bill is recuperating from very serious surgery now. Bill certainly talked about the feeling that he had been discriminated against at least one time in his job search. And that is important for people to know and learn from. And that is why i liked the show. They were demonstrating to people how they faced these obstacles. I liked seeing Bill in the grocery store cleverly figuring ot how to get items and not being sheepish in asking for assistance in getting things. And there was a poignant cautionary tale in China with Will. Will was turned away from one of the rides at the fair because he was too short. And Bill's response was that it would not be the last time. And I really respected that. I am happy that they are doing well, their health overall is good, that they have their family, but now its more like lets see what new car they get, if they buy the beach house, what new business venture will Bill get into, etc. All interesting but It is just time to move on and I think they are showing us that.

100% agree - the show has changed a lot from the beginning in what it shows. It used to be about both Bill's and Jen's struggles - and the rewards they earned. But increasingly it's very high-end luxuries and a lot of things most viewers will never be able to enjoy. Much if not all of it comped or deeply-discounted - which means even people who could easily afford to pay for these things - aren't. Let's be honest. Most of us are genuinely glad to see someone else enjoy some good fortune. But very few of us really want to see how fantastically terrific someone else's life is turning out, week after week.

• Love 1

"All interesting but It is just time to move on"

This is a great comment. Perhaps people who don't enjoy this show should just move on. 

Edited by CousinAmy
  • Love 3

Oh boy!  They aren't lying, why should they take time away from the rest of the show, explaining in minute detail what anyone with at least 2 brain cells knows to be true.  That of course they need some additional help.  Who wouldn't in their situation?  Ridiculous. 

• Love 3

I am writing this as a disclaimer:  Today, I wanted to take my bike to the park and ride it.  I put it in our truck but the battery was dead (its a third vehicle so it doesn't get much drive time).  I had to call my son to come over and jump the battery.  By the time he finished, it was getting dark and I couldn't go to the park.  I asked him to please take the bike out of the truck for me.  I am hanging my head in shame for  (1) having a third vehicle (2) needing to call my son to jump the battery and (3) asking him to take the bike out of the truck.  I'm admitting all of  this just in case anyone saw us in my driveway today.  I don't want to be accused of lying if I say I couldn't go to the park because the truck battery was dead and choose not to disclose all of the aforementioned minutia.  Thank you. 

• Love 6

Not to mention the kids are probably pretty capable of getting themselves in and out of the vehicle.  They can climb into their seats, all Jen or Bill probably has to do is strap them in.

Exactly. Very few of my friends who have five-year-olds carry them around. My own grandson who is five is quite, quite tall. I'm 5'3" at best. I couldn't lift him -- maybe in an emergency I would -- but I can take very good care of him. 

• Love 1
(edited)

It's a new day guys and I think we've explored all we can from the current topic. We let it go for a while because it was going well, lets take a breather and find something less charged to discuss, please.

Edited by wrestlesflamingos
  • Love 4

Not to mention the kids are probably pretty capable of getting themselves in and out of the vehicle.  They can climb into their seats, all Jen or Bill probably has to do is strap them in.

On the much praised Our Little Family, the three year old twins who are about Zoey's size clearly get in and out of the family vehicle without their little mother's assistance. All she has to do is strap them in. The six year old with good verbal skills also periodically runs off and his little mom isn't fast enough to catch him. Does she need an in home caretaker as well?

• Love 2

On the much praised Our Little Family, the three year old twins who are about Zoey's size clearly get in and out of the family vehicle without their little mother's assistance. All she has to do is strap them in. The six year old with good verbal skills also periodically runs off and his little mom isn't fast enough to catch him. Does she need an in home caretaker as well?

That's exactly who I was thinking of lol 

• Love 2

I think some want people we think of as "inferior" or "disadvantaged" to walk around feeling that way about themselves.  We want to see tears and hardships and woe is me.  If folks that we expect to feel sorry for are all, "I got it.  Life is hard but it isn't impossible.  I can do it.  Don't feel sorry for me", some are turned off by that.  How can you feel suitably altruistic and noblesse oblige if the "pitiful" party doesn't want or need your pity?

• Love 4

That's exactly who I was thinking of lol

I saw an episode last night where the six year old ran away and got himself injured and there wasn't a *caregiver* to be seen! How can that little mom manage without caregiver assistance, and obviously she can NOT as her child ran off and she couldn't catch him AND he got hurt! Yet funny.... no one seems to question that little mom's inability to control her son. Despite you know, how he ran away from her and got hurt.

• Love 3

In their TH post spinal surgery video both Bill and Jen talk about how Jen has taken on additional tasks with the kids herself because Bill can no longer help and all this in addition to her 10 hour day.  The dishonesty continues.

What did she lie about, specifically? By specifically, I mean what task did she say she has taken on that you have proof she does not do?

They should be proud to be able to afford to employ others instead of feeling shame and hiding it.

Who do they employ that they have hidden? They're quite upfront about having a nanny. I know you were *suggesting* that they now have a caregiver in the spare apartment as you believe they are no longer physically capable of tending themselves and the children but is there ANY proof that Jen and Bill have lied about having a caregiver? I'm tired of the supposing turning into accusation - what employee are they lying about?

• Love 2

We have asked once to please move on to another topic ... this is the second request.  I believe most everyone has had a chance to say their viewpoint, now it's time to find something else to talk about.  Thank you.

• Love 6

Its been publically conceded by both Matt and Amy since 2012

Oh, I actually believe it and I was just joking because I've never seen it look like it was cleaned let alone just tidied up. The house is a mess. But to stay on topic I'd visit Jen's house but doubt I'd even want to sit down in Amy's.

• Love 3

Her competitive nature probably served her very well in school, especially medical school. Striving to be the best she can be compared to others is part of her nature now, maybe her parents instilled that in her. She is probably that way at work. Maybe she just cannot turn it off and brings it home. She certainly does not have to compete with Bill, he seems to be extremely good natured with her competitiveness. We have seen that she does that with the kids too, her and Zoey vs Bill and Will, her and Will vs Bill and Zoey. I just hope the kids get it and that its just fun times.

• Love 2

Jen admits to being Type A and one of the traits is competitiveness and she and Bill have both commented on how competitive she is and Jen refers to her Type A personality frequently.  

The movie Leave Her to Heaven comes to mind and the remark about Ellen the heroin "Ellen always wins..."  

• Love 3

To be honest I never really realized how extreme it was until it was all pointed out, but yes she is pretty competitive lol 

Some couples just have that dynamic though so it doesn't really bother me.  Bill still seems very happy in his marriage :)

Edited by BizBuzz
Removed quote
  • Love 2

It appears that that is just the way that doctors act. I personally find Jen's type of personality distasteful.

ETA: I also think that Bill's personality is distasteful. I don't find men who continuously bow down to their wives appealing. This is just my personal opinion.

Well, I would disagree here. Bill is clearly more laid-back than Jen, who really doesn't seem laid-back about much of anything, But when push comes to shove, I think Bill stands up to Jen - if the issue is truly important to him. For example, he repeatedly and strenuously objected to the purchase of a minivan, which as far as I know, they do not currently own. And he sounds like he's really on the fence about the ocean-front place in Galveston and whether it would be really be the best move for them right now. Maybe the house is a done deal and all that was just for the camera, but that's my take on it anyway...

• Love 1

I'm not super fond of her. She's very contained. I prefer a little vulnerability in people, I find quirks/flaws more engaging. I feel the same way about pickles. There's nothing wrong with pickles, it's a totally respectable food, but it's not for me. I like cucumbers, I like dill seasoning on fish, but not pickles.

I do think they offer a very respectable and wholesome tv show. Its a show that you could safely watch with any age person. I'm somewhat ambivalent to the concept of the show, I don't think it does much other than highlight their family, but that's ok for me.

• Love 4

He seems content with the relationship.

ANd point - he gets his way far more than my dad does. My dad isn't allowed to touch the tv remote unless mom says its ok and when I ask about it, he says "happy wife, happy life". Seems to work - they just had their 50th.

• Love 6

He seems content with the relationship.

ANd point - he gets his way far more than my dad does. My dad isn't allowed to touch the tv remote unless mom says its ok and when I ask about it, he says "happy wife, happy life". Seems to work - they just had their 50th.

Yes, Bill seems extremely content with things as they are, and that's what counts. IMO, his attitude is refreshingly mature and intelligent. He apparently doesn't feel the need to assert his masculinity by "being the boss" and making most decisions. He either agrees - or doesn't have an opinion - with most of what Jen wants. Why would he object otherwise? I know quite a few women who'd love to have husbands who were as amenable to most of what they wanted as Bill is with Jen.

• Love 9

Bill did get the red, white, and blue flecks on his corner of the garage floor. However, he only got them because he couldn't get in touch with Jen. He kept calling her to find out what she wanted, but she didn't answer. She was quite angry with his choice when she got home. I will never understand how Bill wasn't ashamed to show how demeaned he was by his wife, in front of the man who was going to install the floor. He kept calling her and calling her with a scared look on his face while the man waited.

Let's assume you're right and Bill WAS really annoyed and embarrassed. What was he supposed to do? Turn around and give Jen hell right then and there? Not likely. But he very well could have reamed her out big time later on. "OMG Jen, you totally embarrassed me in front of the floor guy and the crew! I left a bunch of messages, you never called back, this was what I decided on for the floor. It's a stupid garage floor, for God's sake. Don't EVER speak that way to me again in public. You got it?" That's what I would have told my spouse in this situation, and I think that's what probably happened. I think Bill "looking worried" was pure TLC plotline - nothing more. Except when it involves the kids, I don't think Bill is remotely a pushover, in any situation. Remember, we see a FRACTION of what actually goes on. And what we do see is wildly-edited and fragmented. Film can be edited to make an uneventful hour-long wait in the doctor's office look like a suspense-filled Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1

As a viewer, I like Jen and Bill, as they both seem to be bright, positive and kind hearted -- the kind of people I gravitate to in real life. I think they share a lot of common goals and seem to truly love and appreciate each other. They clearly do have different personality traits and styles but in my opinion, those differences are complementary, adding a nice balance to them as individuals and to their marriage as a whole. Or in the words of one of my grandmother’s favorite nursery rhymes:

Jack Sprat could eat no fat,
His wife could eat no lean;
And so between them both, you see,
They licked the platter clean.

• Love 11

Bill didn't seem annoyed or embarrassed. I agree with other posters that said he is perfectly content in his marriage. He doesn't seem to mind being bossed around by his wife at all.

One major thing many, many men leave to their wives is choice of color. 

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 3

I'm not super fond of her. She's very contained. I prefer a little vulnerability in people, I find quirks/flaws more engaging. 

I feel the same way about Jen.  "Contained" is a great word to describe her and it also describes Bill who "contains" himself so much around Jen!  

I haven't seen any news about a return date of the show.  I wonder if Bill has kyboshed the next season to allow for more recovery time from his surgery.  

• Love 1

I expected TLC to air the second half of The Little Couple's season this month. Instead, they aired Our Little Family and will follow up with 7 Little Johnstons. I wonder when they are going to air the rest of The Little Couple's episodes.

That's a good question I've been trying to answer also.  I didn't really like Our Little Family and I can't watch the Johnstons.  I guess that's an hour a week to work on projects. :)  

• Love 1

I hate to ask why you can't watch the Johnston ;)

Our Little Family just didn't have much hook for me. The Little Women of LA can be fun though.

Let me echo ZoloftBlob, I'm also very curious about why you can't watch the Johnsons. I haven't watched, actually, but they seemed fine in the commercials. Just curious. 

It's actually a terrible reason and extremely shallow.  I find the appearance of a few family members somewhere between unappealing and disturbing.  It's enough that I can't even watch their commercials.  As I said, I know it's shallow, but I don't really mind skipping the show.  

• Love 4

The floor guy was gone by the time Jen got home. What the floor guy saw, was Bill afraid to make a decision about fleck color on a garage floor without checking with his wife.

Probably not the first and likely won't be the last time that floor guy experiences a situation like that I'm sure. 

• Love 2

Probably not the first and likely won't be the last time that floor guy experiences a situation like that I'm sure.

Aint that the truth! In my job, I offer credit card upgrades and you can always tell who is just not interested and who really wants it but needs the wife's permission.

• Love 2

I feel the same way about Jen. "Contained" is a great word to describe her and it also describes Bill who "contains" himself so much around Jen!

I haven't seen any news about a return date of the show. I wonder if Bill has kyboshed the next season to allow for more recovery time from his surgery.

Awhile back Jen Tweeted the next batch of eps would air this Spring, but she didn't have a start date yet. Spring just started, what, Friday? And it's Spring until the end of May. So presumably we'll see the show again sometime before the end of May.

Awhile back Jen Tweeted the next batch of eps would air this Spring, but she didn't have a start date yet. Spring just started, what, Friday? And it's Spring until the end of May. So presumably we'll see the show again sometime before the end of May.

Lol. It's Spring until June 21st, when it turns to Summer.

Yes i read that too. The good news is the Pizza Expo he attended was in Las Vegas so I guess he is able to get around a bit more. Sitting on airplanes and walking around a lot must be getting easier for him.

Yes i read that too. The good news is the Pizza Expo he attended was in Las Vegas so I guess he is able to get around a bit more. Sitting on airplanes and walking around a lot must be getting easier for him.

So this explains my Bill Klein sighting last week.  I live in the Vegas 'burbs, not too far from the Sister Wives .  But that's another forum.  My son and I were eating lunch at our local Outback and Bill and his friend were eating at the bar.

My son and I are both fans (duh), but we didn't want to bother him while he was eating.  I wanted to tell him though, that I really enjoy the show and I love their house.

Sorry, but who expects to see Bill Klein at my Outback 2,000 miles from his home?  Wow.  I really need a life.

• Love 9