Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Yard Sale, Phone Fail, and a College Betrayal

Pallas
  • Start Topic

"I can't go to the library because of the baby, which is ironic, because I got pregnant in a library. People just kept going, 'Shhhh...'."

LOL.

I liked the storyline with Becky and Isabella. I think there is some truth to her trying to fix her past mistakes through other girls...but I also do like the idea of her trying to help women and get them out of tough situations similar to the ones she found herself in, too. So I would be interested to see more of that, and see more of her efforts paying off and seeing women benefit from her help. 

Also liked the whole thing of Darlene realizing the mistrust was more because of herself than others. I don't have a phone (mainly 'cause I can't afford one right now), so I wouldn't find it weird that a guy doesn't have a phone, but I can also see where, in this day and age, many would be surprised by that fact, at the very least. 

I wish Dan had been able to find a good home for some of that furniture, but I did like the Viking funeral element of giving it a proper goodbye. And I liked everyone gathering around the fire as they did, too. 

• Love 11

Darlene is broke so she buys a phone for a  guy she met  a couple weeks ago. Yet even more Connor financial stupidity. 

Dan talking  about how he stepped up and provided for Roseanne.  Yet there isn’t a single one of this family( except DJ) that has made it to  middle class. 

Becky not telling Darlene about  Harris?  That’s a sucky move for her to do as a mom of a daughter herself. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Useful 2
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

Darlene is broke so she buys a phone for a  guy she met  a couple weeks ago. Yet even more Connor financial stupidity.

It was also one more example of Darlene selfishly putting her needs above someone else's. Nick wasn't phoneless because he couldn't afford one or because he was too busy to buy one; he intentionally got rid of it because it was having a negative impact on his life. And rather than respecting that or having a discussion, Darlene just bought him one to make *her* more comfortable, because apparently that was more important. And when she revealed her cheating past, he easily accepted it with a smile and no judgment. Seriously, these men falling all over Darlene are getting more and more unrealistic.

I liked Dan's storyline, even though it would have been nice if the kids or Jackie had expressed a little sincere nostalgia between all the jokes. The viking funeral was sad, but cathartic. I could've done without the end, where a buyer stopped by who was willing to pay full price. D'oh!

• Love 19

Holy hell, once again they decline to let even one of the kids express some mixed emotions about Louise marrying Dan and moving in.  They like her, they know she's good for Dan, they're happy.  But, the only reason any of this has happened is that their mom, with whom he was also happy (so it's not like what's in the past is a miserable marriage or one that only lasted out of inertia), died.  There's going to be the occasional twinge.  But we're apparently never going to see it.

We've seen realistic reactions from Dan all along, so I appreciate that, and we got one moment from Jackie (but it was couched in her usual crazy), but NOTHING from the kids.  It's ridiculous.  I can only hope that once Louise returns from the road and actually moves in, we finally get some realism.

Roseanne and Dan both provided for the family, and, in fact, when he was working construction, her work was more steady (and she brought in the union benefits when she worked at Wellman).  But back in the early days, sexist pay standards what they were, Dan probably was the one best able to earn more money, and he's always taken such pride in being a provider, I love the image of Roseanne falling in love with a bedroom set in the Montgomery Ward (or, Monkey Ward, as we called it back then) catalog and Dan taking a second job to be able to buy it.  But we get nothing but jokes from the kids.  This show is such a shadow of its predecessor.

And it was painful to watch Dan destroy that furniture; sell it to someone at a reasonable price, donate it, whatever, but as a dumpster fire?!  I hate waste.

I love Becky helping younger women, though.  "You're the Marie Antoinette of mentors"/"Yeah, that's not a good thing" was fun.  As was "I'm not Beatles old, I'm not even Aerosmith old".  I like her realizing how she's projecting, and adopting realistic standards for how she can help.

I have a cell phone, but it's a flip phone because I hardly ever use it (it's often sitting sitting in my car in need of being charged, and very few people have the number), so I wouldn't bat an eye at someone not having one.  I would find it odd he didn't have a landline, so people could only leave messages at the bookstore, but I wouldn't be paranoid about it.  And I certainly wouldn't insist he have one, which is what Darlene did by buying him one.  "Why'd you get me something I told you I don't want?" indeed.

Fundamentally, why are Darlene and Nick boyfriend/girlfriend after two weeks?  This whole thing is so stupid.

• Love 21

Last thing anyone should do is listen to Jackie especially with relationships. That was really dumb of Darlene.

As someone who hate wasting things, I thought Dan burning the furniture was a big waste and it was ridiculous to want $2000 for furniture that's over 40 years old. If Dan didn't get the deal he wanted, he could've stored it in the garage, advertise online and waited. If someone in Lanford didn't want it, someone outside will.

It seems Dan and the kids just want Louise to move in and not bring in any of her things or want something that has her touch. He didn't want to give up the living room furniture and because of that is why he is losing his bedroom furniture. I don't know if the writers will fully explore this. It would be great if they did explore the struggle of giving up things that tied to Roseanne and accepting someone not her permanently being there. 

I understand why Becky wants to mentor but she's not in the right place now to do that. She needs some W under her belt to do that so the student she mentors can't throw her situation back at her.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, eXiled said:

I'd complete forgotten about Darlene cheating on Ben.

When she brought up cheating, I was transported back to the original show when Darlene cheated on David with a guy named Jimmy.

Darlene and David had broken up when she started seeing Jimmy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Aileen said:

"I'm not Beatles old, I'm not even Aerosmith old" took me out of the episode. I'm younger than her (39) and have friends who went to Aerosmith concerts. 

It may not have been Darlene's taste but Aerosmith was popular in the 90s during Darlene teen and early 20s. 

• Love 8

I thought this was a terrible episode because: :Darlene

Once again Darlene has anew handsome guy.

Jackie brings home  a beer c:an Christmas tree {when your living with a recovering alcoholic Dan burring that furniture when it could have been donated  to  women's shelter. The red cross or the Salvation Mar..  Dan is just a miserable bitter old man.

This show as jumped the  shark.

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Love 18

When I moved I tried to sell my old bedroom furniture to a second hand store and was told they couldn’t take it because between paying me and hauling it away they would never make a profit on it.  It was solid wood just like Dan’s and they told me that is not popular anymore and everyone wants ultra modern sleek stuff now.  I ended up selling it on Facebook Marketplace.

I don’t blame Louise for not wanting to sleep in the same bed that Dan slept in with Roseanne.  And the mattress??  That’s just disgusting if that mattress is indeed 40 years old.  10 years, 15 tops on a mattress.

I think not having a phone in this day and age is strange.  You don’t need social media or every app on the planet, but even my 80 year old father in law has a phone.  

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Roseanne and Dan bought a new mattress in season three of the original series.

That was the episode where they introduced Mark. I thought it was stupid to burn that bed too. At the very least they could have donated it to a shelter or something.

• Love 8
57 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That was the episode where they introduced Mark. I thought it was stupid to burn that bed too. At the very least they could have donated it to a shelter or something.

Why didn’t they just put all of the older furniture into Louise’s condo and rent it out as furnished?

I had a hard time getting into this episode. I had no interest in either Becky or Darlene’s stories. They billed this as somewhat of a Christmas episode and all we got was that tacky tree. At this point I feel like I’m watching only out of habit or obligation because I enjoyed the original so much. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 15
10 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

Why didn’t they just put all of the older furniture into Louise’s condo and rent it out as furnished?

I had a hard time getting into this episode. I had no interest in either Becky or Darlene’s stories. They billed this as somewhat of a Christmas episode and all we got was that tacky tree. At this point I feel like I’m watching only out of habit or obligation because I enjoyed the original so much. 

I hated that fucking"tree". I don't find things like that remotely amusing. I was hoping with Roseanne gone, they would lose the white trash vibe and just be a normal lower middle class family, with funny problems.

• Useful 2
  • Love 21
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I hated that fucking"tree". I don't find things like that remotely amusing. I was hoping with Roseanne gone, they would lose the white trash vibe and just be a normal lower middle class family, with funny problems.

This is truly what is wrong with the show. It seems like they’re trying too hard to be as tacky as they can.  They’ve really missed the boat on a lot of things.  I wonder if this was a result of Louise not being there. I can’t see her wanting tacky holiday decorations in her house. They could have had an amazing Thanksgiving episode where there was conflict in the family as a new matriarch takes over the Thanksgiving preparations and traditions instead of the horrific Thanksgiving we got with the slap last year or the year before or no Thanksgiving this year. 

• Love 18
6 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

This is truly what is wrong with the show. It seems like they’re trying too hard to be as tacky as they can.  They’ve really missed the boat on a lot of things.  I wonder if this was a result of Louise not being there. I can’t see her wanting tacky holiday decorations in her house. They could have had an amazing Thanksgiving episode where there was conflict in the family as a new matriarch takes over the Thanksgiving preparations and traditions instead of the horrific Thanksgiving we got with the slap last year or the year before or no Thanksgiving this year. 

I agree. Some of their foibles used to be funny but now the show mostly makes me sad. And you hit the nail on the head about missed opportunities. I love your idea about the Thanksgiving preparations changing hands with Louise being the new matriarch. Making new traditions and meeting the challenges of a new family dynamic has so many possibilities that the writers and show runners seem oblivious to. They just throw cheap garbagy "laughs" in and call it good enough. Bleh.

• Love 15
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Holy hell, once again they decline to let even one of the kids express some mixed emotions about Louise marrying Dan and moving in.  They like her, they know she's good for Dan, they're happy.  But, the only reason any of this has happened is that their mom, with whom he was also happy (so it's not like what's in the past is a miserable marriage or one that only lasted out of inertia), died.  There's going to be the occasional twinge.  But we're apparently never going to see it.

I think it’s different because the kids are all grown and have their own lives now (albeit two of three still live at home).  If they were younger I can see them having more trouble accepting Louise, but they are all in their forties with their own children at this point.  I don’t think it’s unrealistic that they would be happy their dad found another partner.  It’s not like Louise killed her or something.

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Of course not, that's why I said "they're happy". 

Yes, I saw that.  I was more responding to where you said the kids weren’t showing any mixed emotions and I just think maybe they don’t really have any mixed emotions.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

Burning furniture, BOOOOOO. At least donate it to someone or group that needs it, burning is such a waste for good furniture. 

Good point.  Who burns furniture?  At least sell it to the guy for $100.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Roseanne and Dan bought a new mattress in season three of the original series.

Wait. They're saying it's still the same mattress??😲😲 I thought they got a new one since then.

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

But even with Roseanne they weren't like this. They got worse. 

2 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Burning furniture, BOOOOOO. At least donate it to someone or group that needs it, burning is such a waste for good furniture. 

It was really selfish of Dan to burn it and it loses all so called sentimental value Dan had. It felt more like "If I can't sell it for what I want then no one can have it." 🙄 Kind of karma after destroying he loses his chance making the money he wanted on it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Have to agree with everyone who is saying that Dan could have waited and been able to sell his furniture for closer to what he wanted for it. We even saw one interested buyer show up right after he burned it. 🤣

The Christmas tree Jackie brought was truly tacky.

Isabella was just looking for someone to watch her kid while she partied by the looks of it. Glad Becky realized that she is possibly trying to rewrite her own life by helping the college students, and that she will only be able to help those who take it serious enough to help themselves.

Darlene’s revelation is what I have been thinking all along.

• Love 9

At this point, I wish they'd bring back Ben.  I know there is a separation between the actual actors and their characters, but I'm just not feeling new age Nick, as last I recently saw him he was Peter the Pedo on A Million Little Things.  Not actually a pedophile after children, but took advantage of young teen girls in a sexually manipulative way.

The comment at the end of the furniture burning scene has me confused.  Becky I think said if the furniture goes the other way, Roseanne will have her bedroom set back.  Meaning the furniture is going into the sky into furniture heaven, but the other way is hell.  What is that about?

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

The comment at the end of the furniture burning scene has me confused.  Becky I think said if the furniture goes the other way, Roseanne will have her bedroom set back.  Meaning the furniture is going into the sky into furniture heaven, but the other way is hell.  What is that about?

Apparently the thought of their mom in hell is funny..?

Though I'll admit I laughed at the line. As a sitcom joke it was funny. Pretending these are real people...not so much. Then again I can see Roseanne (the character) making that joke.

• Love 11

I, too, hated the Christmas tree. The original show got more over the top with the white trash jokes as time went on, but they're on another level now. Gross.

Nick needs to run away from Darlene, as soon and as fast as possible.

The best part, as usual for me, involved Becky. I want her to prove that late bloomers in life do exist and find as much as success as possible, just as a big "fuck you" to the rest of her family. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Apparently the thought of their mom in hell is funny..?

Though I'll admit I laughed at the line. As a sitcom joke it was funny. Pretending these are real people...not so much. Then again I can see Roseanne (the character) making that joke.

The Conners aren't religious, so hell isn't an actual place of suffering, it's a story.  All these rigid notions of who goes to "heaven" versus who goes to "hell" - these folks will all joke they're going to "the bad place".  So even when talking about an actual dead loved one, there's no malice, nothing more than a joke, in referencing hell; it's an old joke when it's all just a collection of hyperbolic tales - that if there were an eternity, one would rather spend it with the folks consigned to hell than stuck with the duds in heaven.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
23 hours ago, Bastet said:

And it was painful to watch Dan destroy that furniture; sell it to someone at a reasonable price, donate it, whatever, but as a dumpster fire?!  I hate waste.

6 hours ago, Colorado David said:

5 hours ago, rmontro said:

Good point.  Who burns furniture?  At least sell it to the guy for $100.

I know, I thought the whole thing was so stupid.  First he asks thousands for 43 year old furniture them burns it.  That makes absolutely no sense.  Him vacillating between ridiculous extremes like that is making his character look like more of an asshole than ever.   I have a 42 year old bedroom set I am struggling with parting with because I love it so much and it has so much meaning for me.  It's beautiful but doesn't meet our needs anymore.  So I know how that is but no way would I ever burn it.  I would much rather see it go to a good home.  I donated my old living room furniture and felt good about it.  I've also sold old furniture on local platforms.

I know I'm always suspicious, but once again I feel like the show is thumbing its nose at Roseanne with stuff like this.  That and the weird references to hell which I don't think we'll ever figure out.  Sounds like some kind of veiled reference targeted at her.

5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The Conners aren't religious, so hell isn't an actual place of suffering, it's a story.  All these rigid notions of who goes to "heaven" versus who goes to "hell" - these folks will all joke they're going to "the bad place".  So even when talking about an actual dead loved one, there's no malice, nothing more than a joke, in referencing hell; it's an old joke when it's all just a collection of hyperbolic tales - that if there were an eternity, one would rather spend it with the folks consigned to hell than stuck with the duds in heaven.

LOL, as I said, I'm usually more suspicious than to think it was nothing more than a joke.  Maybe on the show it was nothing more than a joke but if Roseanne is watching she might take it as a deliberate side-swipe.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

At this point, I wish they'd bring back Ben.  I know there is a separation between the actual actors and their characters, but I'm just not feeling new age Nick, as last I recently saw him he was Peter the Pedo on A Million Little Things.  Not actually a pedophile after children, but took advantage of young teen girls in a sexually manipulative way.

Why did they have to get rid of Ben in the first place?  Did the actor piss somebody off?  It just seems like the plan was for Darlene to be in a relationship and when the actor that plays Ben got under someone's skin, POOF, he can be easily replaced.  Again with my suspicious nature, LOL.

2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Maybe it's me, but my interpretation of that was that it was a response to the comment that the furniture was going to heaven.  But when Becky said "if it goes the other way" that was a reference to it going to hell, not heaven, and if it went that way Roseanne would have her bedroom set back because presumably hell is where Roseanne is.  So I see the implication is that she's in hell, which they laughed off as where all of them go as if it's just a family joke, but I think the hidden message was a targeted swipe at Roseanne the person, not Roseanne the character.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Why did they have to get rid of Ben in the first place?  Did the actor piss somebody off?  It just seems like the plan was for Darlene to be in a relationship and when the actor that plays Ben got under someone's skin, POOF, he can be easily replaced.  Again with my suspicious nature, LOL.

Maybe it's me, but my interpretation of that was that it was a response to the comment that the furniture was going to heaven.  But when Becky said "if it goes the other way" that was a reference to it going to hell, not heaven, and if it went that way Roseanne would have her bedroom set back because presumably hell is where Roseanne is.  So I see the implication is that she's in hell, which they laughed off as where all of them go as if it's just a family joke, but I think the hidden message was a targeted swipe at Roseanne the person, not Roseanne the character.  

This is what I think too.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I know, I thought the whole thing was so stupid.  First he asks thousands for 43 year old furniture them burns it.  That makes absolutely no sense.  Him vacillating between ridiculous extremes like that is making his character look like more of an asshole than ever.   I have a 42 year old bedroom set I am struggling with parting with because I love it so much and it has so much meaning for me.  It's beautiful but doesn't meet our needs anymore.  So I know how that is but no way would I ever burn it.  I would much rather see it go to a good home.  I donated my old living room furniture and felt good about it.  I've also sold old furniture on local platforms.

I got my bedroom set (dresser, desk, and night stand) when I was 13. I'm 46 now. It's not in great shape; if someone wanted it I'd give it to them in exchange for them getting it out of my house. But I also have a dresser that I've had since I was a baby (my mom has a picture of me standing on it, hands on hips, on my second birthday...I call it "Terrible Twos, Day One"). That looks a little banged up but it's all cosmetic; it's otherwise solid and I'd like to have it refinished one of these days. If I did have to get rid of it for some reason, I'd take what I could get for it. Such a waste to destroy it. If it was falling apart, that might be a different story (I still wouldn't burn it, though, because that's just stupid; I'd call the Got Junk guys and let them do whatever they do with the stuff they pick up).

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

True; I'm not religious, either, maybe that's why I found it funny.

7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Is he actually gone?

• Love 6
On 12/2/2021 at 4:00 AM, Arcadiasw said:

As someone who hate wasting things, I thought Dan burning the furniture was a big waste and it was ridiculous to want $2000 for furniture that's over 40 years old. If Dan didn't get the deal he wanted, he could've stored it in the garage, advertise online and waited. If someone in Lanford didn't want it, someone outside will.

On 12/1/2021 at 9:57 PM, mythoughtis said:

The Conners have no common sense when it comes to finances.  Darlene is too broke to provide for her kids but buys her boyfriend a phone.  Dan knows he needs money to buy a new bedroom set for himself and Louise.  I know burning the furniture was cathartic for him but he NEEDED the cash from the furniture sale.  This type of thing is why the family will never be financially secure.  Dan collects Social Security and works at the hardware store, Darlene is an executive at Wellman, Becky is a single mom who works part time and is going to college and Louise has earned enough money that she owns a condo.  They aren't rich, but should be financially stable.  (I don't know why Louise is moving into the Conner home instead of having Dan move into her condo.)

• Love 12

I know. I doubt the writers thought there would be such outrage over furniture burning!! BUT...think of it this way, it created great memories for Dan. If he donated it, it could create happy memories for the next family. And so on and so on. THAT is a great legacy for furniture.

• Love 9

Darlene is broke so she buys a phone for a  guy she met  a couple weeks ago. Yet even more Connor financial stupidity.

Darlene is not broke. She makes good money now that she's a supervisor at Wellman. I guess we're meant to assume she still lives with Dan because she's helping him with the mortgage. Still, that house is packed full of people, and with Louise moving in it makes no sense for her to still be living there. It's just more convenient for the show.

I know, I thought the whole thing was so stupid.  First he asks thousands for 43 year old furniture them burns it.  That makes absolutely no sense.  Him vacillating between ridiculous extremes like that is making his character look like more of an asshole than ever. 

Well, it makes him look more stupid than ever, that's for sure. And clearly I'm not the only one who has noticed a very lazy trend in the writing where the characters continue to make very stupid choices just so the show can wring a joke out of them. They're all being played as idiots, more or less. 

I know. I doubt the writers thought there would be such outrage over furniture burning!!

It speaks to how tone-deaf the writers are to the damage they're doing to their characters' integrity. 

So even when talking about an actual dead loved one, there's no malice, nothing more than a joke, in referencing hell; it's an old joke when it's all just a collection of hyperbolic tales - that if there were an eternity, one would rather spend it with the folks consigned to hell than stuck with the duds in heaven.

I'm an atheist and would never make a "joke" about one of my parents being in hell.

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm an atheist and would never make a "joke" about one of my parents being in hell.

But the Conner kids would.  And if Roseanne could hear it, she'd laugh.  So it worked for me.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The Conners aren't religious, so hell isn't an actual place of suffering, it's a story.  All these rigid notions of who goes to "heaven" versus who goes to "hell" - these folks will all joke they're going to "the bad place". 

But. . . but. . . but. . . what about Rosanne's bible that Darlene found in the kitchen drawer? And Dan's uncle Zydeco or Jericho the Pentecostal that danced when the Holy Ghost possessed him?  (as portrayed by one of the Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia at the end of one of the original show's episodes). 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

One I only watched the hell joke because some one posted the small clip of it.

I. my family we trade jabs at each other. We get on each other’s nerves sometimes. But there is one line we would never cross and it is joking that a relative is in hell. Me and my siblings would never joke about our parents if something were to ever happen that they would be in hell. I don’t joke about my grandfathers, my grandmother, or my uncle being in hell that would be disrespectful and I would be getting lectured for making my grandmother or aunt cry for that ‘joke’

• Love 2

I can easily see the kids making a joke about Bev being in hell, or perhaps Nana Mary. But Roseanne died of a drug overdose after becoming addicted to pain killers. That's a pretty tragic thing to joke about, especially this soon. I really don't buy the idea that this is typical of the Conner kids. I don't know if it was meant as an inside jab against Roseanne Barr or if it was just more lazy writing. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I can easily see the kids making a joke about Bev being in hell, or perhaps Nana Mary. But Roseanne died of a drug overdose after becoming addicted to pain killers. That's a pretty tragic thing to joke about, especially this soon. I really don't buy the idea that this is typical of the Conner kids. I don't know if it was meant as an inside jab against Roseanne Barr or if it was just more lazy writing. 

I’m kind of glad that people aside from users here and some on Reddit are starting to see that the writing is lazy. Even the writers themselves admitted they are cynical when they write the episodes sometimes. 

the integrity of the family in my opinion was thrown off a cliff and beaten with a stick. Like you said making a joke about their mother who died from a drug overdose just isn’t something they would do, if they still had some traits from their original counterparts..or at least more integrity they would be respectful. 

Like the nostalgia for some is starting to wear off. me instead of going back to watch this show or catching up on it, since I have no obligation to it anymore. I go rewatch of the chucky series that barely ended its first season I find a show about a killer doll more funny than a comedy sitcom.

I saw someone that them mentioning hell and Roseanne just seems way to petty at this point. Just like some many users on the conners Reddit are always mentioning her of how she would be feeling probably watching.  Like  Roseanne herself has moved on, living in Hawaii living her life as best she can. While some writers, producers and even ‘fans’ seem to still have some weird vendetta against her that she practically lives rent free in their heads.

• Love 6
On 12/2/2021 at 11:29 PM, Bastet said:

Yup.  My college friends and I would often talk about the condos waiting for us in hell, on the shores of the Lake of Fire.

ETA:  I also used to have a Far Side comic pinned to my cubicle at work showing a guy sitting on a cloud in heaven with the caption, "Dang.  I wish I'd brought a magazine."

Edited by izabella
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6