Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Trust

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Zonk said:

So of all the robots SAR was the only evil one. How very convenient. And the other robots followed him, why?

I don't know if he was evil.  I think he just thought humans were going to enslave the robots like the species that created them did, and that was why the other robots were following him.  Essentially, it was just a retread of Terminator, but in this case, Skynet gave up rather than continue to destroy the humans. 

Overall, I think the best thing about this series was Parker Posey.  She seemed to know what kind of show she was on, and had the exact right tone, as opposed to the mostly dour Robinsons who took everything so seriously. 

• Love 5

I'm glad they wrapped it up in eight episodes. It was an OK season, but felt a little too YA at times, for me anyway. 

It's sort of bittersweet that they finally made it to Alpha Centauri, when they never did on the original series. I'd also be curious to know if Angela Cartwright and/or Marta Kristen watched this series. Their versions of Penny and Judy rarely had anything of importance to do, so they would have been envious of the more prominent roles those characters had on this version. 

I could have lived without the flashbacks but I suppose they were trying to give Maureen a more fleshed-out character. It cracked me up to see Season 1 Will now that he's about six feet tall. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I sort of felt bad that Netflix cut the season down to eight episodes.  The show had potential. 
But then I think that we would just have gotten more after-school-special  type episodes. 
All of the 'heart' metaphors: Will's injured heart being healed by Robot, Robot's cave drawing of humans with valentine-shaped hearts, Robot living on in Will's artificial heart, SAR going for the heart, again  --- it was a bit much. 

It is also a shame that Will's Robot was limited to being the dumb muscle bodyguard character (did he suffer a brain injury?).   The writers also seemed to imply that all the Robots were not super intelligent, perhaps only knowing how to use the technology left to them by their creators.
The robots were able to navigate their way through galaxies, scan humans to get their last known GPS coordinates and track any electronic signal.
However, the robots were never able to learn how to translate human language, could not learn how to fly a human spacecraft, did not seem able to communicate with other robots wirelessly and used drawings to communicate.  And -- if you pull a thorn from a Robot's paw, it becomes your friend. 

It was nice that they expanded the final episode to give everyone a happy-ish ending. 

• Love 5
23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It was an OK season, but felt a little too YA at times, for me anyway. 

The production was so sophisticated, but the writing was so cheesy.  It was as if the different teams thought they were making different shows. 

• Love 4

The love triangle was not needed.  I didn't mind Penny and Vijay but adding the hot guy into that was not needed. 

I loved the Robinsons letting Don know that he was family (and even Dr Smith).  I initially thought they were going to have him be in a relationship with Judy so that he would join the family but it was better just letting him become family and never going there with any of the girls.  Same with there not being a love triangle with the adults once Judy's father was there.

This was a great show.  One of the few examples of true family shows out there that parents and kids can enjoy equally.  I wish they'd been able to get another season in before the kids got too old but having a nice solid ending was great.

• Love 5

I enjoyed it and wished for more episodes, but am content they wrapped it when they did.

They sent Parker Posey’s Dr. Smith through a good redemptive arc, but I still just could not forgive her murdering and poisoning her way through the first season. I was under the impression that she was going to murder IV guy (who I *think* was the Resolute security officer that she poisoned with the tentacle journal page?) before Robot intervened. Later, Dr. Smith was all “I was going to do something you can’t come back from!” and I was wondering if they were hoping we had all forgotten that she airlocked the guard in Season One. 

I groaned that they supposedly trashed all their RTGs upon setting up a hydro and renewable energy system because no colony leaders should be so stupid. 

In robot thoughts: Individualism is great but I was curious about any sense of — or desire to build — a robot sense of community. Could they not bond with each other?

It minorly bugged me that Robot never got a name other than “Robot” when Scarecrow, SAR and Sally (and likely countless others) were readily named and/or acronymed. I hope he was at least Robot Robinson! 

Evil Me laughed when Penny explained that Sally left the planet at the first available opportunity. 

• Love 3

This was a mostly entertaining wrap-up to a mostly entertaining season.  I'm not sorry to have watched, but don't think this will be on my rewatch list.

They really committed to Don's relationship with the chicken.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:48 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

The production was so sophisticated, but the writing was so cheesy.  It was as if the different teams thought they were making different shows. 

They really needed a few more STEM people working on the technobabble.  It always felt like the show wanted to be hard science based, but the technical parts could be frustrating.  Like when the shield bubble protecting Hogwarts at the end of Harry Potter showed up over the colony.

• Love 1

Enjoyed the ending.

Watching the original Lost In Space, you knew that they were never going to get home, so every episode was a "I wonder what kind of alien or disaster they'll face this time?".  And you knew they would always survive to continue to be lost another week.

So not sure how I felt when they actually arrived to the colony.  And I didn't read any of the fan articles, so I had no idea that this was indeed the series finale and not just the season finale.  I love that they all got a happy ending.  Even Smith, whose character was redeemed even as she sits in prison.   But with them to the colony, the series pretty much had to end now.  After all, it's called Lost In Space.  If you're living on a planet and farming, then you're not really lost.  Nor in space.

It was campy, yes.  Somewhat confusing sometimes with all the robot stuff, but maybe I'm just dense.  But overall enjoyable.   I suppose there is the slight possibility that there would be a spin off, as Will and Robot are exploring new parts of the galaxy.  But looking at Will now versus when the series started (just how much did he really grow?), it's just not quite the same.

Check this series off the list.  Time to move on to all my other things I need to watch.

• Love 3

By the time the series ended, it all made sense. The show was about family and optimism and can do spirit. And it had a bit of camp, but not enough for me to really feel it until season 3.. For about 2 seasons, it just seemed like the Robinsons were masters at getting into trouble.

Smith became bearable and was redeemed. Robot and Will lived happily ever after. Everyone made it to Alpha Centauri.

I was sad the series ended just when it made sense. It would have been a nice touch if, after getting everyone to AC, the Robinsons took a Jupiter up to fix a shield and - uh oh! - were drawn into a wormhole and ... Lost in Space!

• Love 1

I enjoyed this.   The first season was iffy, and I couldn't stand Smith.   But they really pulled it together in the end.   I thought Molly Parker and Mina Sundwall really shined.   I'm sorry it has ended.

On 12/8/2021 at 11:18 AM, iMonrey said:

It's sort of bittersweet that they finally made it to Alpha Centauri, when they never did on the original series. I'd also be curious to know if Angela Cartwright and/or Marta Kristen watched this series. Their versions of Penny and Judy rarely had anything of importance to do, so they would have been envious of the more prominent roles those characters had on this version.

When the Robinsons arrived at Alpha Centauri, they received a transmission granting them permission to land.  The voice on the transmission was June Lockhart, who played Maureen Robinson in the original series (and Ruth Martin in Lassie).   She is 96 and still with us.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1