Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Chapter Ninety-Eight: Mr. Cypher

Bort
  • Start Topic

I'm still basically okay with this.

I love that Reggie's downfall was that he couldn't pay attention for one day and not sign his paperwork with the devil's pen.

I love that Veronica can't conceive of a business enterprise that doesn't involve forcing her customers to watch her to do a dance.

I love that Kevin just immediately signed a pact with Satan because his life sucks so much.

Also, I think maybe this was the show's way of telling us Roberto sold his soul to be successful but lost his ability to write.

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, SourK said:

I'm still basically okay with this.

I love that Reggie's downfall was that he couldn't pay attention for one day and not sign his paperwork with the devil's pen.

I love that Veronica can't conceive of a business enterprise that doesn't involve forcing her customers to watch her to do a dance.

I love that Kevin just immediately signed a pact with Satan because his life sucks so much.

Also, I think maybe this was the show's way of telling us Roberto sold his soul to be successful but lost his ability to write.

Every word of this was gold.

"Rivervale, a hell of a town." 

This was probably my least favorite of the Rivervale episodes, the stories felt a little less strong, but I am still having fun with this special nonsense. I am now pretty sure this is some magic pocket dimension or story Jughead is writing, or possibly I will wake up and find out that the entirety of Riverdale has been a bizarre dream that I've been having after falling asleep listening to the Heathers soundtrack after having a bad fever. 

Having the devil and then an angel show up makes it seem more like this could be somehow set in the Sabrina universe, this sounds like the kind of crap that happens there a lot. Apparently everyone in Rivervale is an even shittier person then there Riverdale counterparts, except for the Tate's, and that's impressive as the normal crew does some really questionable and shitty stuff. They are also still doing this "kill a major character off every episode" thing, which makes me wonder who will be left standing, especially if Mr. Cypher comes back for Kevin and Jughead. Especially as no one seems to care very much about people dropping left and right. 

Of course both Reggie and Veronica get their souls sold because they don't bother to read what they sign. Of course Kevin, the first guy in every Kool-Aid line, signs his soul away in seconds without even reading the fine print. Of course Jughead signs his soul away twice to be able to able to write. Of course Veronica manages to create yet another business mostly so that she can make everyone watch her perform ridiculous songs in horrible outfits. Of course Betty ends up stabbing her partner. 

Everyone in Rivervale is very chill about meeting actual literal Satan. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Apparently everyone in Rivervale is an even shittier person then there Riverdale counterparts, except for the Tate's

Except Tabitha was fine with watching a man be murdered, and agreeing to it in advance, so she could rid her apartment of some spiders. She's shittier in Rivervale, too.

• Love 3

Veronica is such a she-demon that I don't understand why she would have to sign her soul away to the devil?  Wouldn't he already own it?  It's also funny that she was so close to the town's only real angelic type, Archie.

Nice to see Tabitha be the one to save the day.  Well, her guardian angel, anyway.

• Love 2

Ok I have absolutely no idea what Riverdale is doing with this Rivervale  storyline but I always did like this show best when it went full on psycho and I am kinda digging it.  

I especially liked the Betty is just plain psycho story and veronica’s deal with the devil storyline.   

Please correct me if I'm wrong (and I deleted the episode so I can't check), but IIRC, the Devil's notebook read B. Cooper, R. Mantle, J. Jones, T. Tate, K. Keller. Veronica quite conspicuously wasn't on it. (Nor Cheryl, though she was missing in this episode.) The Devil made progress with all of those but Ronnie was the outlier. So I thought we'd get more about why the Devil didn't aim for Veronica. 

I found this episode a little disturbing but I hope the plot continues into the Sabrina stuff. Regular Riverdale is going to seem tame after this!

• Useful 1

Supernatural has clearly warped my view when it comes to any of the celestial stuff, because when Raphael claimed he was on the good side, I was like "Bullshit!  Angels are dicks and you were one of the bigger ones!"

So, basically this was The Devil going down to Georg... err, Rivervale and looking for a soul to steal.  Well, actually, a lot of souls to steal, apparently.  And, of course, the Rivervale crew made it so easy for him.  Love that Kevin "Duped by not one, but two cults!" Keller was the easiest one, because that is so Kevin!  And then Jughead would sucker himself into it because he goes for the easy fame first, but of course is nothing if he can't write anymore.  Veronica fares a little better, but only by damning Reggie (to be fair, he certainly had that coming!) and likely thousands of others as well.  But, of course, Tabitha came away the big winner for now.

I'm guessing the only reason Cheryl wasn't here, was because Cypher took one look at her and was like "Yeah... I'm going to stay away from all that crazy!"

Betty apparently went mad thanks to the devil and killed her former FBI boss/boyfriend?  Classic Betty!

Veronica's big dance number was clearly because they realized that Camila Mendes hasn't been involved in the recent musical moments that require the actresses to flaunt their bodies in quite some time, and that couldn't stand!

• Love 4

I thought Veronica making a literal deal with the devil was something reminiscent of her father so I thought it was very clever storywise.  These are all darker versions of themselves.  A Veronica who wants to be a legitimate businesswoman but can’t help being a gangster.   A Betty who  thinks she is a good fbi profiler but is ultimately a killer.   A Jughead who chooses instant fame even if it means fleeting success.   I thought it made sense that the only person who could outwit the Devil was Tabitha who was fighting for someone else and not their own selfish goals.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong (and I deleted the episode so I can't check), but IIRC, the Devil's notebook read B. Cooper, R. Mantle, J. Jones, T. Tate, K. Keller. Veronica quite conspicuously wasn't on it. (Nor Cheryl, though she was missing in this episode.) The Devil made progress with all of those but Ronnie was the outlier. So I thought we'd get more about why the Devil didn't aim for Veronica. 

I found this episode a little disturbing but I hope the plot continues into the Sabrina stuff. Regular Riverdale is going to seem tame after this!

Oooooh, interesting. Because, remember last season when Cheryl was mad at everyone for killing her ancestor, and they made a point out of saying Veronica's family wasn't there?

• Love 2