Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E08: Peacekeeper

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

"All nighters are for missing children.   ....and term papers and honeymoons."

I'm liking this guy more and more.

Cole has changed the entire show, in a good way. There seems to be a better flow to the story lines with a bit of comedic banter thrown in.

• Love 17

Another strong episode - and I’m really liking the show with Parker, everyone seems to be more of a team now and gets an equal role whereas with Gibbs it got to where he was very detached from the rest of the team. I like how Parker is more personable, he has a sense of humor which Gibbs didn’t and is much more relaxed, I liked his reminiscing about childhood stuff and joking about it and particularly his conversation with Palmer in the morgue, it’s so different from the ultra-serious to the point of coming across as a jerk at times style that Gibbs had. Parker is very comfortable with everyone and note how he’s already calling Jimmy by his first name, which Gibbs rarely did. The show seems to flow naturally and everyone gels well together.

The mystery of the week was good, good cast of suspects that kept me guessing, some might say the motive was a bit weak, a drunken argument over missing money, but I guess a lot of murders happen for dumb reasons like that.

Overall another solid episode, the show seems to have found new life this season and I’m not missing Gibbs at all.

• Love 13

I actually liked the subplot with Kasie researching and soul-searching if she wanted to become a gun owner with all the responsibilities and emotional baggage attached to that.  The decision she ultimately made was totally within her character, after she'd given the decision all due consideration.   It also leaves the door open.  It was nice without being heavy-handed.

I also liked Kasie's developing friendship with Knight.  I also really liked how they gave us more clues into Knight's character in last night's episode.  "Even your lunch likes its personal space" cracked me right up, and was a clever way to acknowledge the character's apparent stand-offishness and how they all are coming together as a team with understanding how each of their quirks bring something to the table.  I don't know if it is new writers, or the old writers are energized by working with new characters, but I like this subtlety and forward momentum they're giving us.

• Love 15

I think that Mark Harmon leaving gave this show a new lease on life.  No more of that stupid Bishop morphing into Ziva drama and Gibbs and his glowering.  

I came to NCIS late in the game (Ziva was already gone; I think it was the year Bishop was brought in) and I mainly watched it because my SO liked it.   I couldn't stand Abby and was happy when the actress decided to leave.  Kasie was improvement #1 and I guess it finally took Lead Weight in Chief to leave to lighten up this show.   I'm finding that I'm actually enjoying the show this season.  I enjoyed this episode - good whodunnit, Torres wasn't being a jerk, Kasie had a storyline, and I'm getting a crush on Gary Cole.   All is good! 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

And yes, an epi where Torres wasn't being a jerk.

Although he was a bit OTT about the car. There is no way in hell that car with a gazillion bullet holes could have been restored.

Also, did anyone recognize the gun relic salesman as Patrick Swayze's brother, Don.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, preeya said:

Also, did anyone recognize the gun relic salesman as Patrick Swayze's brother, Don.

Yes, I recognized him.  I had to tell my mom he had always been Don because she thought he had another name.

• Love 2

Surprised that Knight took Kasie to that third-rate gun range for her target practice and gun tryout.  Don't the federal agents have access to a proper gun range with safety protocols?  That place was so DANGEROUS!  Shooting at cast-iron skillets just hanging on a wire is an invitation to ricochets in any direction, and what gun safety lessons can you learn if you are shooting at human dummies in a car?  The thing that really bothered me was when I noticed that one of the "targets" was a human mannequin standing near the top of a hill.  Any bullet that went cleanly through it, and any rogue bullets that missed would go sailing off over the hill towards a stand of trees and who-knows-what else might be in the line of fire!!!  An outdoor firing range must be designed so that all rounds that pass through the targets, or miss the targets, impact safely in a dirt background with absolutely no chance to go flying off into space...

Especially since that gun dealer commented earlier that he would never use that range because the owner had no safety rules in place--even allowed a grenade to be exploded just because a customer wanted to do it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

That was a really good episode. They finally gave Knight more scenes, which led to some interesting pairings. I don't think we've seen Jimmy and Knight having a conversation (beyond case related topics) and her scenes with Kasie were also good. And yes, the writing for Kasie is finally getting away from Abby 0.1. Parker/Gary Cole really brings new life to this show.

I liked how the COW - it was a banal and dumb but that's what a lot of murders are. And seeing a murder suspect completely losing it the way the bar owner did is also pretty rare on tv. Subtle commentary on this episode's main topic - who should and who shouldn't own a gun. Reminds me of something I once heard an expert on gun-safety say. Guns are life-changing objects, they don't just change (or end) the life of the person they are aimed at, they also change the life of the person who pulled the trigger, no matter the reason.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 4

I didn’t realize they aired a new episode last night. I will have to check it out. As a single woman living alone, I bought a gun when we started having all sorts of violent crime in the area. I have been to outdoor and indoor gun ranges. I took a class and got a CWP. I hope Show gets it right. 

I’ve watched NCIS since the beginning. I do like Gary Cole and his character on the show. He’s like Gibbs I’m a lot of ways but oh, so different in many others. The show’s been on a long time, but the change of so many of the actors in the last 2 years has made it hard to get used to.

That being said, I think the character development and relationships are great. I do have a problem, however, with some of the writing as it seems to be promoting a specific political agenda and set of when that is totally unnecessary on this show or many others.

Thank you Gary Cole!  I had pretty much given up on this show , Gibbs was insufferable, but your character has saved it!   And they actually caught someone by spreading out instead of yelling “ NCIS” a block away so suspect could run off.  

Edited by Packerbrewerbadger
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

I've never been a fan of Kasie, or Torres.

Really like Palmer and McGee. But they are not stars. Just very likable. And A plus supporting actors.

Cole is fine.  Knight does nothing for me personality wise. Nothing like Kate, or Ziva or even Ellie. They had personality.

But it is not going well for me this season. No Gibbs lately, or Ducky. Not even Leon much.

Last night was like watching a whole new NCIS show....like NCIS Hawaii that I can't get into either.

So miss DiNozzo, Ziva, Abby.

If anything the last knockoff of NCIS should have gone to Weatherly and not him going to Bull.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Thank you Gary Cole!  I had pretty much given up on this show , Gibbs was insufferable, but your character has saved it!   And they actually caught someone by spreading out instead of yelling “ NCIS” a block away so suspect could run off.  

First gov't (NCIS, FBI) show to catch a perp without a run.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

For many seasons, Gibbs has been a loner with out-of-control anger management issues.  The team treated sexual harassment training as if it was a big joke.  He was an old-fashioned guy who avoided using technology as if it was an enemy of police work.  The best decision he made in years was to retire.
'
I'm REALLY liking Gay Cole's character.  He knows he's the new guy in an established team and is doing everything right, IMHO, to make the team respect his leadership.  Donuts for everyone!

• Love 12
On 11/30/2021 at 5:58 PM, preeya said:

I did not know Patrick Swayze had a brother, but when I saw that guy, I said to myself that he looks a lot like Patrick Swayze!  

On 12/1/2021 at 9:06 PM, buckboard said:

For many seasons, Gibbs has been a loner with out-of-control anger management issues. 

I feel like I've been watching a different show. I've never seen Gibbs out of control. Except in the "Hiatus" flashbacks when he killed the drug dealer who had murdered his family.

And before that part of his past was brought in, he actually had a sense of humor in the first season and two. Until Ari. The bit with being a dinosaur when it came to technology got old, fast. Especially since, as I stated up thread, in the backdoor pilot, he knew how to use technology.

Gibbs wasn't a raving lunatic. At least I didn't see it.

25 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

I did not know Patrick Swayze had a brother, but when I saw that guy, I said to myself that he looks a lot like Patrick Swayze!  

Don's been around for YEARS. Always playing the loser or killer.

• Love 2

The "Kasie considers arming herself" story line had me concerned that the show was setting her character up to shoot/kill someone in a future episode.  Don't especially feel that it would be good for that character psychologically and don't especially feel that a plot point of that nature is necessary to the show in general.  Glad she decided just to target shoot on occasion when she needs to vent.

I've always liked Gary Cole so I'm enjoying his Parker character.  Don't miss Gibbs at all, to tell the truth.  I also like Knight.  Yeah, I know the series is supposed to be a DRAMA, but it's kind of nice to have characters that are not especially over-the-top and/or "quirky."  It also helps that both characters are portrayed as being good at what they do, despite being low-key.

• Love 1
On 11/30/2021 at 5:58 PM, preeya said:

Now that I've watched it, yes, I did recognize him. He's lost a lot of weight--he used to be bulkier, but I knew who he was. Surprised that he wasn't the killer!

On 12/3/2021 at 10:49 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I feel like I've been watching a different show. I've never seen Gibbs out of control. Except in the "Hiatus" flashbacks when he killed the drug dealer who had murdered his family.

Don't forget the whole attacking-the-dog-killer-guy thing, that set in motion his departure.

On 12/3/2021 at 10:19 AM, LuvMyShows said:

To me, he both does and doesn’t look like Patrick. Hard to explain I guess. I remember he was in another episode of NCIS way back in season 2, Vanished about aliens and crop circles or something.