Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: He'd Really Like to Put in a Central Line

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Conrad takes Trevor under his wing to care for a patient whose good luck seems to have run out. Leela struggles when given the decision to take full responsibility of her indecisive patient's life. The Raptor continues to try to figure out a care plan for his mother. Both Devon and Kit are stretched far too thin trying to balance everything on their plates.

Airdate: 11/30/2021

That looked like the surgical coach in the bed with AJ.  Was that just a one-off with him and Leela's sister?

I never thought I'd say this but Trevor is growing on me--just a little.  I do think he's trying to watch and learn from the other doctors even though they still have to straighten him out at times.   

• Love 1
3 hours ago, NYGirl said:

For the life of me I can't understand why that young guy didn't want to live.

A combination of misinformation (as one doctor tweeted "If you can do the research sitting on the toilet, it's not really research ") and a fatalism that God will take his course. The lesson was for Trevor, that he can't impose his will on his patients, in contrast to Leela's whose patient was asking her to make the decision.

Neither story really interested me and it seems like I'm not the only one given the lack of comment on this thread so far.

• Love 5

I really can’t stand Trevor. The character and the actor, both… ugh! 😣

I stopped watching this show for quite a while because I hate Barrett Cain and Logan Kim. I returned when both disappeared.

I want to know what’s going on with Bell. Hopefully nothing serious. And am also looking forward to see the new ER doctor. Hey show, please make her likeable and tolerable. 🙏🏻

• Love 2

As soon as the guy mentioned that he got his medical information from Facebook that was it for me. Die faster you're taking up a bed. I have not one F left to give for willfull ignorance. Realistically I don't think he could have been allowed to leave the hospital anyway as his medical condition was a danger to others evidenced by the accident he caused. Also, how this isn't suicide and a shrink signed off on it I'll never know. The line about 10 years from now he shows up with kids to thank the docs is bang on.

I get where they were trying to go with this episode but my pandemic induced empathy metre at this point is on empty. 

• Love 6

Shouldn’t  they have arrested that sarcoidosis guy? First he doesn’t treat his medical condition which causes an accident, and then he declines a pacemaker and will likely pass out and kill someone the next time. And then he’s using up a bed for his stupidity. They should have let him die on the side of the road instead of patiently trying to convince him to get a pacemaker. Ridiculous. 

Maybe because I skipped the past few episodes I don’t mind Trevor and was as annoyed with the patient as he was.

Glad they are bringing back Bell’s tremor. I hope he’s okay.

I keep getting Leela confused with her sister. I know that’s the point but still.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Neither story really interested me and it seems like I'm not the only one given the lack of comment on this thread so far

It was boring and I think I learned the lesson Trevor the intern was supposed to learn while watching ER or St. Elsewhere.

I know there's been a massive retcon but really? Bell going to Conrad about his hand tremor?

I'm an awful person but I don't really care about Dr. Austin's mom dying. 

Dying guy refusing health care because of God seeing him through would have worked if the actor had been better. As it was, I just couldn't buy it. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I know there's been a massive retcon but really? Bell going to Conrad about his hand tremor?

I think this is going to be a different issue. Before it was the yips with tremors. His hand actually seized and froze this time. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I kept wondering why they didn’t see if these patients had family members who could help them make decisions. It is still up to the patient, but maybe a parent or sibling could have talked to dying guy and changed his mind. It always bothers me when TV patients have no family or friends at all. It could happen but most people have someone in their life that cares if they live or die.

• Love 1
On 12/1/2021 at 2:29 PM, Crashcourse said:

That looked like the surgical coach in the bed with AJ.  Was that just a one-off with him and Leela's sister?

I never thought I'd say this but Trevor is growing on me--just a little.  I do think he's trying to watch and learn from the other doctors even though they still have to straighten him out at times.   

No, it wasn't. Maya Stojan played the surgical coach. And she hasn't been credited since this episode. So while AJ might have been more interested in her than the coaching, it doesn't appear to have gone anywhere.

On 12/2/2021 at 2:42 PM, OLynn33 said:

As soon as the guy mentioned that he got his medical information from Facebook that was it for me. Die faster you're taking up a bed. I have not one F left to give for willfull ignorance. Realistically I don't think he could have been allowed to leave the hospital anyway as his medical condition was a danger to others evidenced by the accident he caused. Also, how this isn't suicide and a shrink signed off on it I'll never know. The line about 10 years from now he shows up with kids to thank the docs is bang on.

I get where they were trying to go with this episode but my pandemic induced empathy metre at this point is on empty. 

If I was the doctor, I would have wanted the guy discharged and out of there. If you want to believe Facebook groups and believe God will save you, then you can go die on your own outside of the hospital. We need the bed and the resources to help patients who want to live and trust their doctors to make the right decision. I'm not going waste my time and effort trying to save someone who doesn't want to be saved because of what somebody on Facebook said.

Trev needs to go. Just another bitter black man not wanting to listen to anyone or do what he is told by his boss/teacher.
Thanks Fox for another bad example for young black men to endure. 👎🏾

I'm just now catching up on these episodes. I stopped watching for a while when they did the time jump because it was annoying to me. 

Anyway, in regards to this episode, I felt they spent way too much time trying to convince the guy to get a pacemaker implanted. It was clear he wasn't going to change his mind, and frankly, the best possible outcome for this situation was happening. He was actively dying in the hospital and so unable to leave and cause other accidents that may kill and injure others when he passed out due to his condition. They kept framing his refusal to not get the pacemaker as an individual decision that would only affect him, but it just wasn't true. The reason he was in the hospital was because he passed out due to his condition and caused a bunch of car accidents. If he had been healthy enough to leave the hospital, he would have and then he would have passed out again and potentially cause another bunch of car accidents. 

Many months removed from the original air date, it seems like they were making a direct parallel to the Covid vaccine and the refusal by many to not get vaccinated because in their minds, it's a personal choice. I believe when this episode originally aired or was written is when all of these vaccine mandates started coming down or started being enforced. The reasons he kept giving about why he didn't want it seemed to be the  same reasons I heard from those who refused to get vaccinated, plus all of the talk about the Facebook groups and conspiracy theories and false information also seemed to be very similar. 

I know many say they should have just let him leave and free up a hospital bed and resources, but frankly it's better he died right then and there instead of being allowed to go cause more harm to others if he left. I'm sorry he died, but he knew that was what would happen. 

• Love 1

Trevor didn’t annoy me this episode.  I thought the actor did a great job portraying how hard it would  be to just stand there and watch a patient refuse treatment and die.