Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E05: Lacey's Journey

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I did laugh about her bemoaning the loss of her pictures (yes I am a bad person). What did she have pictures of? Food?

Oh honey. I think this may, literally, be the episode I laughed the hardest at - even after all of these years.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I did laugh about her bemoaning the loss of her pictures (yes I am a bad person). What did she have pictures of? Food?

In the age of Instagrammers posting pictures of everything they eat... it doesn't sound quite as funny as it would have even 10 years ago! 😉

• LOL 3
15 hours ago, non sequitur said:

Sharon was something else.

Michelle seemed staged, why would she take in some random to live with her husband and kids in a new place?

This whole episode seemed staged.  All of Ricky's lovey-dovey "Sure, babe, anything you say babe, you got it,babe", then they get engaged, and next, out of the blue are estranged.  Everything was phony baloney.  The sister Sharon was there to add more fake drama.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

After reviewing some clips, I think Lacey donated the big furniture to the church back in Washington, and that's what she got back from them, and she was able to renew the lease on her apartment.         

The 'fight' in the car had a lot of discrepancies, shirt changes on Sharon, and Ricky, and it was very choppy.   Poor editing again.   

If she really wanted surgery, I bet she could get that a lot closer to where she lived, but she'll never make that effort.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

After reviewing some clips, I think Lacey donated the big furniture to the church back in Washington, and that's what she got back from them, and she was able to renew the lease on her apartment.         

Yeah, she said the church was able to give her back some of her stuff she originally donated. The couch and table were the same, at least.

• Useful 2
36 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The 'fight' in the car had a lot of discrepancies, shirt changes on Sharon, and Ricky, and it was very choppy.   Poor editing again.   

If she really wanted surgery, I bet she could get that a lot closer to where she lived, but she'll never make that effort.   

I thought the fight was ongoing...lasting more than one day. Would that explain the discrepancies?  Not saying it wasn't staged just thinking it was ongoing.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Lacey didn't tell her parents about her rape as a 9-year-old, until she had counseling in college.   Her father believed her, her mother didn't.  Of course, the mother is the one that told Lacey her whole life that she was an IUD failure, and not wanted.    

My parents never ceased to tell anyone and everyone (including myself) that I was an "oops" accident and there was such a large age gap between me and my siblings because of that.  Seriously.  Like anybody ever fucking asked them, "Why is there such a big age gap between your youngest daughter and the other two?"  Assholes.    

If I were in Lacey's shoes, my mother wouldn't have believed me, either, or at the very least would have asked what I was up to that I allowed myself to be put into that situation.  I was molested by an uncle at age 8 (right about Lacey's age when her rape occurred), and I never told my mother until I was in my 30s because I knew what I described above would ensue; either disbelief or blaming me.  *shrug*

Life's full of hard knocks, some worse than others.  I really cannot muster up more than the world's tiniest thimble of sympathy for Lacey when it comes to continuing to blame a horrific childhood on her current out-of-control eating habits and manipulative behavior.  

I know some of us have more fortitude and determination than others, but there comes a time when as a grown-assed adult, you have choices and options.  Lacey could have gone into therapy years earlier to deal with her demons or chosen any number of other paths than the one of self-destruction on which she embarked.  

/end rant

• Love 14

Ricky seems to have undiagnosed autism….Lacey claiming to have graduated from college would have definitely picked up on this, which is what makes her so evil! She Totally and Completely used this man 100%! 
From day one Ricky’s sister should have taken him and ran, she actually used them both, there’s no way in hell I would have driven Lacey anywhere!

• Love 3

17 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

Whatever "friend" she lives with will quickly devolve into her personal ass wiper.  

So Ricky had to wipe her ass for her, but she's only known him for a month.  Then who the hell was wiping it before that?  No one, cause she was good and able to do it for herself.

8 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Lacey will never lose weight. In the scenes filmed in her apartment at the end, you can see the jug of pancake syrup on the counter, and the huge jar of mayonnaise in the fridge, and a giant tub of what looked like cream cheese. Pathetic. 

I really, really, really hate it when they say they did everything they could and then lose 16 pounds in 5 months.  She was clearly eating an insane amount of fast food.  So does that mean that Ricky just went along with the healthy choices bullsh*t for filming, and then closed his eyes, put his fingers in his ears, and said, "la la la" for the rest of the time?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Ricky seemed rather limited, remember the zero calorie Tortillas scene?   That was when I realized that there was a big issue with him.    I suspect it's a combination of medications, and the lack of oxygen when he had seizures.       I think he really didn't know exactly what carbs, calories, and how to read a label.  

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

They had to add subtitles to some of Dr. Now's conversation.

they probably need to close caption everything he says now except "how ya'll doin'?" "this very bad sisuasion" "if he/she doesn't lose weight, _____ is not going to live much longer" "______'s surgery went very well" and "if you need anything, call me" 

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, Mothra said:

Despite learning that Lacey died, I have to say I do love me some fat chef.

Wait, Lacey died? Did I miss the black screen of death at the end? Sometimes my recording stops too soon.

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

Wait, Lacey died? Did I miss the black screen of death at the end? Sometimes my recording stops too soon.

Yes (unless I hallucinated it).  She got another unrelated infection in her leg which turned septic, and it killed her.

And I googled it, and she didn't die.

I swear there was a BSD.

Edited by Mothra
2 minutes ago, Mothra said:

Yes (unless I hallucinated it).  She got another unrelated infection in her leg which turned septic, and it killed her.

Don't think so. She was posting on Facebook two hours ago, and nothing about her death online. 

Just now, Tango64 said:

Don't think so. She was posting on Facebook two hours ago, and nothing about her death online. 

Yeah.  My bad I guess.  I swear there was a BSD with the septic leg info.  I wonder if anybody else saw it.  Unfortunately I've deleted my recording of the episode.

6 minutes ago, Mothra said:

Yeah.  My bad I guess.  I swear there was a BSD with the septic leg info.  I wonder if anybody else saw it.  Unfortunately I've deleted my recording of the episode.

I think that was the lady from the next show that aired. Too Big?? What you are describing came up at the end of that show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

And I googled it, and she didn't die.

I swear there was a BSD.

You're thinking of Jennifer on Too Large which is on right after M600PL.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 12/2/2021 at 12:20 PM, lilysmom said:

2. How very quickly Sharon was able to turn the "lying about missing an appointment" into enough of an infraction that her brother instantly broke off his "engagement" and friendship with the woman he loved. I just wonder how much Sharon has controlled her brother in the past, both emotionally and financially. I can't help but think that both women had a distinct interest in what money Ricky is/would contribute to  their lives.

I think that things happened that we didn't get to see in the episode, possibly during that "break" from filming that happened. Things don't go from mostly fine to "dump you at a gas station and talk about killing you in your sleep" in one second like that. Listening to all the screaming, it sounds like Sharon and/or Ricky felt like Lacey was lying to them about things (and it probably wasn't the first time) and it also seems like there were issues with money, or perceived issues anyway. Sharon seemed to think that Lacey was lying about not being able to afford plane tickets because she was going out shopping, but who knows if that's true. Lacey telling Ricky "I told you I would screw up" says to me that they'd had issues before, maybe this was the final straw. Hell maybe things have BEEN happening that Ricky didn't quite grasp but Sharon did and something about Lacey basically admitting she missed an appointment and lied to Ricky about it made it sink in. Or Sharon is just literally insane and went off for no reason and Ricky went along with it cause that's his sister and he trusts his sister more than someone he hasn't even known that long.

I just really feel like there were underlying issues that the camera didn't catch (some of which might have happened before filming even started) that would explain how things blew up that fast. Maybe the Supersized episode will fill in some blanks.

But I have to say, when Ricky got back into the car after the hotel and was just looking at his sister and crying, it really convinced me that he probably is not mentally there enough to be involved in any romantic relationships at all, let alone one where he's the primary caretaker for someone else. He just seemed to me like a 3 year old having "big feelings" that he didn't know how to express.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16

Lacey told a bunch of lies to Ricky, and Sharon.   She lied to them repeatedly about missing appointments, she lied about Dr. Now wanting her to move to Houston, she lied about having an apartment in Houston, until someone was talking about approving her on the trip for the apartment.   Lacey was supposed to follow the diet, and call for an appointment at Dr. Now's after it was confirmed at a local clinic or hospital,  that she reached Dr. Now's two month goal, which she never did.    Then, Dr. Now would have her move to Houston, not just drive there and show up at his office.   

Also, Ricky is very limited, I'm guessing from oxygen deprivation after his seizures, (Sharon says when he has a seizure he stops breathing) if he stops breathing.    His sister said she was his POA, and I bet payee too.   I bet Sharon has been parentified, and in charge of Ricky her entire life.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7

I'll be brief regarding the episode for now and just say, what a complete and utter trainwreck of an episode. Last season I signed up for Discovery plus and they stopped adding new episodes after a few so I cancelled and ended up buying episodes on my prime account. This season I signed up again for Discovery through Amazon at a special price. Once again, only the first 3 episodes were added and nothing since. On top of that, new episodes beyond #3 aren't even showing up on prime to purchase. TLC isn't included in my cable plan and my only way to watch now is altered videos I found on YouTube. Are there any other Discovery plus/Discovery plus via Prime that has this problem? Hopefully the same doesn't happen with 1000 lb Sisters. I'll come back and do more actual episode snark later tomorrow I hope. 

• Useful 1
13 minutes ago, PA SweetPea said:

I'll be brief regarding the episode for now and just say, what a complete and utter trainwreck of an episode. Last season I signed up for Discovery plus and they stopped adding new episodes after a few so I cancelled and ended up buying episodes on my prime account. This season I signed up again for Discovery through Amazon at a special price. Once again, only the first 3 episodes were added and nothing since. On top of that, new episodes beyond #3 aren't even showing up on prime to purchase. TLC isn't included in my cable plan and my only way to watch now is altered videos I found on YouTube. Are there any other Discovery plus/Discovery plus via Prime that has this problem? Hopefully the same doesn't happen with 1000 lb Sisters. I'll come back and do more actual episode snark later tomorrow I hope. 

I’m totally confused. I subscribe to Discovery + and it has all the seasons and episodes out there. I didn’t go through Amazon to get it, but I don’t know why that would make a difference. In fact, Discovery + sometimes has the episodes out there earlier than the national broadcast. I get the ad-free subscription if that makes any difference.

• Love 1
On 12/2/2021 at 12:13 AM, suev3333 said:

Good God, this one is a doozy......but on a good note, I must say  it is very entertaining!!!!! We were due for a good one.   Omg... Ricky's sister though, can she be a little more trashy and rude?!  I'm thinking, "shut uuuupp!!"   Her mouth!  And Ricky just sitting in back seat hanging his head.   Wow.  This one is defines dysfunctional,  minus the "fun".    And his "ok baby, ....take your time, baby, ....whatever you say,  baby...baby..babe...ok babe" x1000 ughhhh, was nauseating to say the least.   They've known each other for a month?  😆

I knew from the moment she had an accident in her pants on the trip, this was gonna be one for the books.   

On this show, these couples... I've found the more often they call each other babe/baby, the more unhealthy the relationship.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, JJ1 said:

I’m totally confused. I subscribe to Discovery + and it has all the seasons and episodes out there. I didn’t go through Amazon to get it, but I don’t know why that would make a difference. In fact, Discovery + sometimes has the episodes out there earlier than the national broadcast. I get the ad-free subscription if that makes any difference.

I don't know why Discovery hates me, then. Do you have TLC also, with cable or satellite, etc? Maybe I'll try cancelling through Prime and subscribing through the app again, although it did the same thing last season when I didn't go through Prime. Or I just accept the Discovery plus really hates me and doesn't want me to watch My 600 lb life lol

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Also, Ricky is very limited, I'm guessing from oxygen deprivation after his seizures, when he stops breathing.    His sister said she was his POA, and I bet payee too.   

I put some info about seizures under spoiler in case some people are interested.

I definitely agree that Ricky is limited... I feel he has good intentions, and his sister probably does care about him - though she could have been more careful.  Stress is a major risk factor for anyone with significant seizure disorder and her shouting like that over him could have easily triggered him.   Though she was right to get him away from Lacey... no way Lacey would have been able to care for him during the seizure - don't know what he experiences but I doubt it's something as mild as a thumb twitching or a foot tapping - or during the post-seizure period when he may need some physical help.  But Sharon should have done it in less dramatic fashion, not for Lacey's sake but for her brother's.  Wouldn't have made for as fun an episode, but if we are thinking about Ricky's best interest... 

Spoiler

Seizures don't necessarily affect breathing (oxygen saturation may or may not fall significantly during even full body tonic-clonic seizures, and during partial (focal) seizures it rarely happens) but just the abnormal electrical activity, if it starts in childhood, affects brain's ability to develop normal connections and therefore normal mental function.   Just think of a normal brain activity like a mass square dance, where everyone moves in sync in a specific way.  As people are learning new dance steps, every few minutes someone starts jumping around randomly, shouting and pushing people around them.  What are the odds of this group learning the dance?   

That said, absolute majority of people with clinical diagnosis of epilepsy are completely mentally intact and go on to get an education and work and live a full life.  That's why timely diagnosis of childhood seizures is so important... the earlier they are treated, the less likely it would be that the child would experience frequent, cluster or prolonged seizures (if you are non-stop seizing for 30+ minutes it's a medical emergency and it can even be fatal and fail to respond to medications).  It's usually those severe events that lead to developmental disabilities.  Also, epilepsy itself may arise as a consequence of an event that also independently affects development, like oxygen deprivation during birth, stroke, or a genetic condition...   

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, JJ1 said:

Just to update, I did cancel it through Prime and went through the Discovery plus app and they're all there. Last season DP didn't want me to watch, this year it was Prime lol. Thanks for letting me know DP worked for you, I know I wasn't the only one who had trouble watching last season. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I put some info about seizures under spoiler in case some people are interested.

I definitely agree that Ricky is limited... I feel he has good intentions, and his sister probably does care about him - though she could have been more careful.  Stress is a major risk factor for anyone with significant seizure disorder and her shouting like that over him could have easily triggered him.   Though she was right to get him away from Lacey... no way Lacey would have been able to care for him during the seizure - don't know what he experiences but I doubt it's something as mild as a thumb twitching or a foot tapping - or during the post-seizure period when he may need some physical help.  But Sharon should have done it in less dramatic fashion, not for Lacey's sake but for her brother's.  Wouldn't have made for as fun an episode, but if we are thinking about Ricky's best interest... 

Hide contents

Seizures don't necessarily affect breathing (oxygen saturation may or may not fall significantly during even full body tonic-clonic seizures, and during partial (focal) seizures it rarely happens) but just the abnormal electrical activity, if it starts in childhood, affects brain's ability to develop normal connections and therefore normal mental function.   Just think of a normal brain activity like a mass square dance, where everyone moves in sync in a specific way.  As people are learning new dance steps, every few minutes someone starts jumping around randomly, shouting and pushing people around them.  What are the odds of this group learning the dance?   

That said, absolute majority of people with clinical diagnosis of epilepsy are completely mentally intact and go on to get an education and work and live a full life.  That's why timely diagnosis of childhood seizures is so important... the earlier they are treated, the less likely it would be that the child would experience frequent, cluster or prolonged seizures (if you are non-stop seizing for 30+ minutes it's a medical emergency and it can even be fatal and fail to respond to medications).  It's usually those severe events that lead to developmental disabilities.  Also, epilepsy itself may arise as a consequence of an event that also independently affects development, like oxygen deprivation during birth, stroke, or a genetic condition...   

Too many people assume that epilepsy affects intelligence and brain function. As an epileptic myself, I know how much this hurts, in many ways. I got fired from a job when I was a teen because a coworker I thought was a friend told our boss that "there was something wrong with my brain and I wasn't right in the head". That was almost 40 years ago and I still feel the sting. I kept my epilepsy a secret for many years and even my husband didn't know until after we'd been married several years. I've generally been well controlled on medication so it was easy to hide. Until a period of extreme stress started triggering seizures and I had to tell him. For decades I lived with shame and stigma, but no longer. The past 10 years or so I've been very open about it and try to correct misinformation when I see it. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PA SweetPea said:

On this show, these couples... I've found the more often they call each other babe/baby, the more unhealthy the relationship.

Agreed.  It sounds fake and cringey and like they are trying to prove something to everyone.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, PA SweetPea said:

For decades I lived with shame and stigma, but no longer. The past 10 years or so I've been very open about it and try to correct misinformation when I see it. 

I applaud you and wish you the best.  One of the biggest things I heard from patients - that they wish society as a whole was more knowledgeable about their condition and listened instead of assuming.  That's true of every serious chronic condition, actually...  though epilepsy unfortunately carries more stigma than most.  

Morbid obesity is, by a technical definition, a health condition as well.  BUT as it is 100% self-induced and preventable, I am actually OK with the fact that it is broadly stigmatized, especially when the person does squat to improve their condition, like Lacey.  I am all for helping people and rooting for people, but they have to show some effort!  In fact, most people I know with serious conditions work so hard to have a life as normal as possible for them, it's doubly irritating to see someone who had a decent or great health card dealt to them do everything to destroy their health, life and prospects of a good future. 

• Love 3
On 12/2/2021 at 10:48 AM, WonTon said:

9. What happened to Dr. Now's super bitchy nurse? I miss her.

Right?  Me too!!!  Her punishment time was over, I guess.

On 12/2/2021 at 10:35 AM, Burning Rubber said:

When Lacey was unsuccessfully trying to make up a reason why she missed earlier appointments, Sharon kept quiet and let Lacey hang herself while the camera was rolling for our amusement of that particularly epic moment.

That was Sharon's chance. She pounced on it and didn't let go.

Adding deceit about her effort to lose weight to Ricky's exploitation crossed a line.  That meant that Sharon was played into becoming Lacey's driver in support of nonexistent efforts, that Ricky was being played into becoming Lacey's permanent servant rather than a temporary one, that the deal would be sealed by marriage and Ricky's financial benefits would be eaten by Lacey.

Exactly this^^^^

• Love 5
On 12/2/2021 at 1:38 PM, Burning Rubber said:

I thought Lacey said in the car that they had been approved for an apartment. 

She left Washington before knowing she had a place to stay on arrival?

Did she lie about being approved? I thought Ricky was the one who was approved. Does anyone know what really happened?

Ricky got a phone call when they were all in the car and driving. It was a leasing agent advising they had been approved for an apartment. They asked Ricky when they'd be arriving in Houston and Ricky said the 12th. But apparently the apartment wouldn't be ready until the 13th, because Ricky said that would be okay; they could stay in a hotel the night of the 12th.

This all happened before the proverbial shit hit the fan, which is why I heard - and remember - all of it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 12/2/2021 at 2:24 PM, lilysmom said:

Yes, I noticed this as she continued to escalate her screaming about Lacey's missing an appointment. I don't know anything about emotional epilepsy, but I can only imagine that if your brother is affected by it, you probably shouldn't be screaming about his fiance in a closed car.

unless it did have the intended outcome. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, lilysmom said:

I think that was the lady from the next show that aired. Too Big?? What you are describing came up at the end of that show.

Thank you!  that's probably exactly what happened.  My ophthalmologist told me my hallucinations were probably being caused by floaters, but that one would be difficult to ascribe to floaters.  Floaters, or loss of marbles--your choice.  It's good to know it's neither.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Granny58 said:
19 hours ago, finalgirl said:

Agreed.  It sounds fake and cringey and like they are trying to prove something to everyone.

it sounds like they can't remember the other's name. 

We've noticed that on shows like 90 Day Fiancé where the guy is a scammer and calls all his victims "Babe" so as not to accidentally use the wrong name. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2