Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Death Is the Rule. Life Is the Exception

secnarf
  • Start Topic

As Max and Sharpe prepare to depart for London, a deadly superbug hits the hospital and draws them back in. Leyla confronts Bloom about the secret she's been hiding. Iggy digs deep to help grieving parents confront the reality that their son is gone.

Original air date: Nov 23 2021

Ok, so this is the winter break - what is gonna happen at the end to make Max and/or Sharpe return? Is it gonna be that Fuentes is making the hospital earn a profit so she can skim some money off the top? Maybe Fuentes will die from the superbug and have a change of heart? Or maybe the episode will end, then when we come back, TIME JUMP! And then board lady will be asking Max to come back? Or perhaps a magic horse walks into New Amsterdam and says "IGGY! YOU NEED TO GET FUENTES TO RESIGN! NEIGH!"

• LOL 6
3 hours ago, bros402 said:

Ok, so this is the winter break - what is gonna happen at the end to make Max and/or Sharpe return? Is it gonna be that Fuentes is making the hospital earn a profit so she can skim some money off the top? Maybe Fuentes will die from the superbug and have a change of heart? Or maybe the episode will end, then when we come back, TIME JUMP! And then board lady will be asking Max to come back? Or perhaps a magic horse walks into New Amsterdam and says "IGGY! YOU NEED TO GET FUENTES TO RESIGN! NEIGH!"

I was wondering why Max and Helen were finally leaving and this episode being the mid-season finale makes sense. I don’t feel very strongly about the move but they really stretched that storyline when they could’ve just as well taken off in the fifth episode; all those extra weeks were filler and neither party did very much, in my opinion. I’m also wondering how they’ll return because they’ve given Fuentes a lot of power and I don’t see them pulling back from that without Max coming back and ‘saving the day.’  Ideally it would be something semi-believable but since Max is their chosen one, I’m sure it’s going to be something that only he can do. Hell, Brantley might even travel to London(after being rehired at NAH, of course)and beg him to return. Or maybe your time jump idea will come true, and Max will come back on his own accord when he hears of Fuentes’ plan to tear down the pediatric wing. Since you know, she’s the devil’s right hand woman and all. And of course all this will be told through a serious of flashbacks, because the show loves the rewind button!

Nice pickle you’ve got yourself in, Floyd. Anyone want to bet who the father is? I feel like we’re going back to 2000s era Maury. 

I wanted to give Leyla a standing ovation for not letting Lauren off the hook. 

I like Walsh and hope he ends up living. This show is slowly picking off anyone remotely interesting; we need someone with character to stay.

Did anyone catch what Max and Helen said about Luna and CT? I think that’s what they said. I’m surprised the grandparents weren’t at least referenced (if they couldn’t appear) as having something to say about this. It’s just my headcanon at this point that the case was settled out of court and who knows maybe they’re OK with this.

The ice maker thing was not what I was expecting as an infection source. 

I wonder if “more joy” will finally show itself after the break. Nobody is happy on this show lately. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Love 5
38 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Did anyone catch what Max and Helen said about Luna and CT? I think that’s what they said. I’m surprised the grandparents weren’t at least referenced (if they couldn’t appear) as having something to say about this. It’s just my headcanon at this point that the case was settled out of court and who knows maybe they’re OK with this.

I was surprised we didn't get anything, even if we didn't see Gwen/Calvin themselves. They kidnapped Luna on their way to sue for custody; they would not be hunky-dory with Max taking their granddaughter across the ocean to live with a new woman, one that Luna is encouraged to call 'mum'.

No way would I be sending Luna to Connecticut for a week if I were Max.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

They said they dropped Luna off for a week in CT, I guess while they get things ready in London? I guess maybe the grandparents are flying over with her?

Do hospitals really use the same ice machine to both ice their drinks and keep organs on ice? Wouldn't there be dedicated machines for those two things?

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
43 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

A while back (before Covid) some people at my work were getting sick and complaining about stomach issues. Turned out to be a water cooler. Not a superbug though. But speaking of superbugs, I am so over the superbug scenario. After living it for almost two years nothing any writer anywhere can think of will top the real thing and the reality that it can't be solved in a few days.

Edited by OLynn33
  • Love 6

Did Iggy have those parents in his office for an entire day? And the day their son dies is not the time to be doing marriage therapy. Their whole world has just ended, they can’t think about the future. And why is he hiring the doctor who thought flirting would get him the job? I’m glad Bloom got called out for her actions.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

And why is he hiring the doctor who thought flirting would get him the job?

I guess Iggy is hoping to get the hospital sued at some future point?  The whole thing was bizarre.

9 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Do hospitals really use the same ice machine to both ice their drinks and keep organs on ice?

I think the bigger question is does a hospital the size of New Amsterdam really have only one ice machine? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Bloom still hasn't been held accountable ad no surprise that Leyla would be upset--this has been foreshadowed for some time.

We already have an untenable situation with "Flyn" & Claude--and now to introduce this stupid pregnancy trope.  I believe most fans wanted this dysfunctional relationship to end and now we'll have to deal with this nonsense.  I'm certain it is Claude's child which will make Reynold "stop to think" do I want this with another woman and her husband?   BTW Lyn is in OB-GYN - how could she really get pregnant?   Was this another ploy on her part to force the hand of Claude or Floyd??  Really, who cares🙄

We don't need another triangle( with Iggy).  Why didn't he just say he was happily married and not interested?  The new admin would have to be professional and they would have a STRICLY professional relationship?  Another stupid storyline and why??!

We knew Max was going to London because it had been telegraphed by the showrunner for months so no surprise Max left.  I'd hoped Helen would change her mind and decide to stay as there's really no reason for her to go to London--unless they address her familial issues.  But these writers seem to have amnesia with prior episodes and what they wrote.

Sounds like Max will be working in London (as soon as he gets his license) but the showrunner also stated (TV Line article) "there will be obstacles/challenges".  Haven't they faced enough of that already in the fist half of this season--which has divided fans?  Sadly, looks like we'll have to trudge through the 2nd half of S4 with more Sharpwin angst putting me on yet another emotional roller-coaster ride - "more joy" indeed😤🙄

• Love 5
9 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

They said they dropped Luna off for a week in CT, I guess while they get things ready in London? I guess maybe the grandparents are flying over with her?

Interesting. Since they are capable of kidnapping, I could see a storyline where they kidnap her again and Max returns to the States and spends the rest of the season searching for Luna.

• Love 2

What a baffling episode that I somewhat enjoyed lol 

IGGY:  has been last on my radar all season and with this potential cheating storyline, it looks like he’ll stay that way. There’s really no need to go there but this seems to be the season of soap opera stylings so why not. The flirting was hilariously awkward and I think the guy Iggy was interviewing might be a worse psychiatrist than him. Which is saying a lot because Iggy hasn’t been wholly competent in two seasons. And you’d think with Martin being such a catch he’d at least try to keep things steady at home but I guess not. Iggy does have nice eyes though, Mr. HR-Nightmare-Definitely-Don’t-Hire is right. 

BLOOM: what’s left to say. This plot was always contrived and I can’t believe they let it go on for this long. I’m just glad Leyla knows, she’s nice, got the skills, and really deserves better than sly manipulation in the name of love. Bloom might believe she loves Leyla but she’s said for herself that she knows what she did was unethical, selfish and undermining so I don’t get why she didn’t bring up those points when trying to make a case for herself. She would’ve still been wrong but at least Leyla would get a sliver of peace in knowing that Lauren was a tad self aware and that she wasn’t fooled by someone who couldn’t even really understand their motivations. Because the way Lauren was going on was oddly clueless or maybe willfully ignorant but either way, she should’ve stopped talking before that remark about paying a million bucks for love. She’s got major issues and I don’t know if they’ll ever tackle that but possession isn’t love and I hope they at least let her learn that.  

FLOYD: Absolutely idiotic. They really expect me to believe that out of three doctors - ONE AN OB/GYN - no one was  being careful about birth control? Not buying it(and neither were they, apparently). They’ve dumbed Floyd down and given him the most cliche plot ever and I really want to know who he pissed off because other than being stupid, it’s not even interesting. 

MAX/HELEN: Luna being with her grandparents was funny. So I guess they’ve smoothed things over lol. And I’ve gone from feeling indifferent about London to actually hating it. They’re already struggling to tell one story I doubt splitting the show up will help. I just hope whatever brings them back brings them back fast. Fuentes was fun for a bit and the actress is giving it her all but I’m tired of the Cruella-like lines they make her say. 

I can’t believe they made me miss Max’s over the top antics. It really is all about the devil you know isn’t it? 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, babyrambo said:

What a baffling episode that I somewhat enjoyed lol 

IGGY:  has been last on my radar all season and with this potential cheating storyline, it looks like he’ll stay that way. There’s really no need to go there but this seems to be the season of soap opera stylings so why not. The flirting was hilariously awkward and I think the guy Iggy was interviewing might be a worse psychiatrist than him. Which is saying a lot because Iggy hasn’t been wholly competent in two seasons. And you’d think with Martin being such a catch he’d at least try to keep things steady at home but I guess not. Iggy does have nice eyes though, Mr. HR-Nightmare-Definitely-Don’t-Hire is right. 

BLOOM: what’s left to say. This plot was always contrived and I can’t believe they let it go on for this long. I’m just glad Leyla knows, she’s nice, got the skills, and really deserves better than sly manipulation in the name of love. Bloom might believe she loves Leyla but she’s said for herself that she knows what she did was unethical, selfish and undermining so I don’t get why she didn’t bring up those points when trying to make a case for herself. She would’ve still been wrong but at least Leyla would get a sliver of peace in knowing that Lauren was a tad self aware and that she wasn’t fooled by someone who couldn’t even really understand their motivations. Because the way Lauren was going on was oddly clueless or maybe willfully ignorant but either way, she should’ve stopped talking before that remark about paying a million bucks for love. She’s got major issues and I don’t know if they’ll ever tackle that but possession isn’t love and I hope they at least let her learn that.  

FLOYD: Absolutely idiotic. They really expect me to believe that out of three doctors - ONE AN OB/GYN - no one was  being careful about birth control? Not buying it(and neither were they, apparently). They’ve dumbed Floyd down and given him the most cliche plot ever and I really want to know who he pissed off because other than being stupid, it’s not even interesting. 

MAX/HELEN: Luna being with her grandparents was funny. So I guess they’ve smoothed things over lol. And I’ve gone from feeling indifferent about London to actually hating it. They’re already struggling to tell one story I doubt splitting the show up will help. I just hope whatever brings them back brings them back fast. Fuentes was fun for a bit and the actress is giving it her all but I’m tired of the Cruella-like lines they make her say. 

I can’t believe they made me miss Max’s over the top antics. It really is all about the devil you know isn’t it? 

I really hope they don’t make Iggy cheat. Oddly he’s one of the only ones on this show in a loving, stable relationship. 

I was cheering for Leyla during her whole speech to Lauren. Lauren is co-dependent, between feeling like she had to buy Leyla a spot and earlier in the season when she was changing shift schedules so Leyla could work with her. Lauren, come on. A cross-country relationship is hard but there are ways to make it work if you really wanted to be with her. Leyla is a good doctor who didn’t need a spot bought for her to earn a residency. 

I still do not know why the writers are all in on the Floyd/Lyn/Claude story. It’s so boring and the actress is bland; the characters of Floyd and Lyn have zero chemistry together. And I looked up Lyn’s actress on IG a week or two ago and there’s no indication that she’s expecting in real life, so I’m not sure why they had to throw in a “You are/are not the father” story. That said, the tale of TV doctors getting accidentally pregnant is as old as time. I get it when the actress is pregnant IRL and they want to write it in, but every pregnancy I’ve seen on TV where there is no IRL pregnancy has just been unnecessary or poorly done.

I also still struggle to understand how Helen went to badly wanting Max and being in love to deciding she wanted to move to London for good. Yes, I know they are probably not going to stay long since we’re not losing Freema and Ryan but it never felt genuine to me. And I’ll forever be bothered that they dropped the custody story. From what we saw of Gwen and Calvin last season, they seem like the types to be very meddling and not want to let this go. I know that they probably settled out of court, as is also common in reality, but it seems like a weird choice given how aggressive they were to Max in S3 about how he’s an unfit parent.

• Love 4

If the bacteria get in through a wound, how did Walsh get sick from ice in his coffee?  Maybe he has an ulcer from dealing with Bloom et al.  I hope he recovers completely; I like him.  If he has drama in his personal life, at least he doesn't inflict it on us.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Boy, the writers really love this Floyd storyline don't they?  Again, I have to ask, what is Floyd's endgame here?  To just be her side piece forever?  And now she's pregnant because of course she is.  I'm ready for the both of them to just vanish from the show.  And what was with him being 'bummer you got to tell Helen you're not going with her'?  First of all, maybe a little compassion in the situation if it was gonna go down like that.  Max and Helen love each other.  Second of all, did Max tell him he wasn't going?  

But, that's not just Floyd.  He, Iggy, and Lauren were all being selfish by being pissy with Max and wanting him to stay.  They all worked at NA before Max got there.  They'll either adjust or they can find other positions.  Stop guilt tripping him for wanting to be happy with his girlfriend. 

Agreed with others about how weird it is we haven't heard from Luna's grandparents.  Last season, they kidnapped her and this season they don't have one objection to her moving across the ocean and in with a new woman that she's already calling mum?  Okay.

I thought the parents of the dead kid were just weird.  The whole thing played out strangely.  I know people grieve differently but it was all over the place.  First, the denial went on way too long.  I get initial denial but all the way to the morgue?  A psychiatrist wouldn't play along with letting someone's parents believe they were dead for a prank.  I mean, we know that Iggy's a terrible doctor but they don't know that.  And when they finally believed it was real, they went straight into marriage counseling?  Weird.  Weird.  Weird.

Iggy better not cheat on Martin.  Martin's already too good for Iggy.

But, there were some upsides to this episode.  I'm so glad Leyla laid into Lauren and told her that she only did what she did for herself.  When Lauren was telling her if she hadn't that Leyla would have moved away and they would have broken up, I just kept thinking that wasn't your decision to make.  It's something you both should have talked about.  I hope she doesn't disappear from the show because I like her far more than Lauren at this point.  And Floyd and Iggy for that matter.  

I'm glad Walsh pulled through.  With Casey gone (please come back Casey) he's one of the few likeable characters left.

And I'm glad Max chose to go with Helen.  I liked their last scene with the 'burden me' line.  Georgia and he had problems because he always chose his career over her so it was nice growth on his part to see him choose Helen over NA.  Of course they'll be back but I hope that's a decision they make together because it's best for both of them.  They seemed to have course corrected their scenes and I've been enjoying them more as a couple the last couple of episodes.

Finally, it was nice to get a break from Veronica.

Edited by Sweet Tee
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I know Max and Helen are likely coming back to New York, because having the lead not even be in the same city as most of the supporting cast seems like a unworkable idea. I really do hate that the writers really did have them go though. It seems like they could have had them sour on the idea before leaving. At this point I am hoping for a flash forward. Let Sharpwin be in England for the next episode and then flash forward another year or two years at the end of it. That way there are minimal split location episodes. By then Sharpwin may be ready to come back.

1 hour ago, Sweet Tee said:

But, there were some upsides to this episode.  I'm so glad Leyla laid into Lauren and told her that she only did what she did for herself.  When Lauren was telling her if she hadn't that Leyla would have moved away and they would have broken up, I just kept thinking that wasn't your decision to make.  It's something you both should have talked about.  I hope she doesn't disappear from the show because I like her far more than Lauren at this point.  And Floyd and Iggy for that matter.  

BBM. I have to say I agree with this wholeheartedly. At this point I'd be happy to lose Bloom on the show. Have her take a leave of absence to work on her personal issues. Leyla can work with Floyd.

• Love 3

I got my hopes up before about Bloom leaving. 

The pregnancy things sounds as if I will be fast forwarding  a lot

The show has no direction. I love Freema but I wish they would write better for Max or give her a true partner that is not so all over the place.

• Love 2

The psychiatrist interview was weird.  Not that they were both gay, who cares, but who makes that kind of a comment in an interview? How unprofessional, huge red flags!  You can flatter someone on their character or achievements, but looks?? what era is this?

• Love 10

Oh no she's pregnant. I hope it's the husbands and she and this story can go away.

I think Max needed to go, even fixing that outbreak shouldn't have been on him. Where are all the board members who voted to keep the new one? All of them should have been called and in charge. Instead Max and Helen jumped in to save the day. The hospital and their budget/hiring choices need to fail.

I just find the actress that plays Lynn so boring.  Looking her up online, she seems young and happy.  Not sure why they are making her so dour on the show.  She doesn't look it in real life, but on the show they make her look like 10 years older than Floyd.  Zero chemistry with her and either man.

• Love 5

Ok, it's time for WHO'S THE WORST DOCTOR!

Random guess before I start the episode: Bloom

ok, max is giving out gifts

max where is she supposed to fit that cat tree in her apartment (assuming she lives in the city, it is most likely rather tiny)

ok max getting shot down on all of the gifts is unintentionally hilarious (at least I assume it is unintentional)

ok, so I am guessing Iggy is interviewing a new head nurse?

um, new guy, that is not the way to pretty much open an interview - hitting on the interviewer is ill advised

Iggy, I would call that confidence, more unprofessional - oh hey the husband said it for me

um reynolds please stop with the relationship stuff at work

oh hey look that poster in the background talks about the health insurance max set up a season or two back

ok, i wasn't expecting Bloom to be confronted by her girlfriend before any patients appeared

bloom, you should have had a much better way to tell this story by now rather than "my family's money opened his eyes"

wait wait it only cost 90k for a 3-4 year residency slot? shouldn't it have been at least 6 digits?

Sharpe: "...new chapter of our lives, in London"

i'm guessing if it happens, it'll be a short chapter, maybe a month

wait so it is like 10 minutes in and no patients?

wait wait wait did sharpe just say Luna is with her grandparents "for the weekend" and the keys for Max's apartment have already been given to the subletter? They also checked in for their flight? So doesn't that mean it's less than 24 hours before the flight? how is luna getting to london if not with max and sharpe - and those grandparents KIDNAPPED HER

uh oh max forgot to return his pager so he has to go back in, i'm guessing he is gonna get trapped in the hospital for reasons

i mean 9 people coding in a big hospital around the same time is weird, Bellevue has around 850 beds - so around 1% of beds, with at least two of them in the ER. so that is a bit odd. 

wait why is floyd running this, didn't he become chief of general surgery, not cardio

and all 9 died of sudden heart crapping out?

wouldn't Fuentes have a deputy

would max still be in charge here

so the superbug is spreading and attacking everyone's heart

i'm gonna guess Iggy's some member of staff like a janitor is spreading in unintentionally, but we already had a janitor blow up a bit of the hospital (was that this show, or another medical show??)

wait iggy this is how you tell the parents, right in your office, you didn't call them right when people were hopefully doing CPR?

ok so it took until 15 minutes for a named patient to roll into the ER? that has to be a new record for this show, they like to have that ER be a revolving door of fun

oh wow they are just killing every patient who steps into the hospital in this episode aren't they

jesus Reynolds it's a superbug that is rapidly spreading through the hospital, NO RELATIONSHIP TALK

i'm gonna guess it's food that is spreading it

um sharpe I am sure Fuentes can be reached by phone, and if she isn't reachable, the board can probably make decisions like saying what wards to clean. I also imagine that if the ER is shut down would be a decision for, you know, the head of Emergency.

max, why the hell would pegfilgrastim work? it's just a GCSF, it'll make the body make more neutrophils, but that won't make it better at fighting anything off

um Iggy can you even bring these parents to the morgue if their kid has a superbug? one or both is probably gonna try to hug him or embrace him in some manner, and if they have paper cuts they're gonna get the superbug

oh ok punching Iggy is something I think most viewers would want to do, but that is not nice of you, parent

hey how'd the awesome resident get the infection?

um would the hospital staff really be testing for superbug - at this point wouldn't it be NYS and NYC department of health combing every inch of this place? or just cleaning it with a biohazard team

uh oh, CDC guy said the magic words, "on the market" - is Max going to harass all of the pharma companies in the tri-state area that might have clinical trials?

iggy shouldn't you also have social workers here to help the parents

uh oh, is the bed that guy is lying on in the ER gonna end up being the one with the infection

why is this "find the bacteria" group so small

and of course the ice machine is the source - it's always the most disgusting thing on those restaurant renovation shows too
wait WHY DOES THIS HOSPITAL ONLY HAVE ONE ICE MACHINE
wait wouldn't they put the ice in bags
wait don't they have cold blankets to help hyperthermic patients? why not use that instead of bags of ice?

for a second it looked like reynolds was still considering using the infected lungs, that would've been incredibly stupid of him

wait how did they get a sample of a recalled drug from the 1950s so quickly

ok, so they are trying it on the good resident, hopefully that means he lives - we already lost Casey, we can't lose another awesome person in the ER

so you are telling me that *NOBODY* who works in the ER put ice in the their drinks other than this resident?

oh good, so the chest compressions (chest compressions, chest compressions!) saved him! yay!
um I do not think you could treat someone fresh off of a transplant for this bacteria - they are going to be on immunosuppressants, which can screw with the organs (And dialysis is needed for this "treatment" to work!)

iggy I don't think you can fix their relationship in a few minutes, they just lost their kid and they give off major "we stayed together for our kid" energy

ok so now everyone is hugging and happy and nobody else is dead because the treatment worked on one guy?

iggy, don't you DARE think about cheating on your amazing husband with that aussie

and of course reynolds married girlfriend is pregnant - time for a few episodes of Maury: New Amsterdam

yup, you are correct Bloom's GF, she did do it for herself

how long until Bloom falls off the wagon? taking bets! I'm guessing 2 episodes
Ok, so who is the worst doctor of the episode? 
Medical wise: Reynolds - why the hell would you give a patient who you are giving new lungs a deadly bacteria that requires you to wreck their kidneys

Plotwise: Iggy - WRITERS, IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE IGGY CHEAT ON HIS AMAZING HUSBAND, YOU NEED TO BE SMACKED

A new category:
The YOU GO, DOCTOR! award goes to Bloom's GF (Leyla?) for standing up to Bloom and calling her out.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Well, I missed the end because my husband came and wanted to chat, so I didn't see them waltz off into the sunset (so to speak) and head off to London, but I surprisingly enjoyed that episode while I did our folding.  There was no over the top anything and I wasn't overwhelmed with the Floyd and Lyn rubbish, right up until the "surprise" pregnancy.  Seriously, really?  We have to go through that crap now?  Geez I hope it is the husbands! 

Bloom has to have consequences, even if it is only relationship ones, but she better have consequences!  

21 hours ago, cathmed said:

We already have an untenable situation with "Flyn" & Claude--and now to introduce this stupid pregnancy trope.  I believe most fans wanted this dysfunctional relationship to end and now we'll have to deal with this nonsense. 

Yeah, and what is it with so many shows where people are having unprotected sex with multiple partners? I get that a REAL polyamorous relationship might have rules and trust but this show has not sold the poly plot yet. Besides, Lynn's character has no substance to stay in the show.

The bacteria coming from the ONE ice machine in a hospital the size of NA, which is a basically a city is too ridiculous, even to this show. And to believe that someone had to go down to the ER to carry a bunch of ice to keep someone alive before a transplant is yet more absurd. I feel personally disrespected by the writers that thought they could seriously sell this plot. 

I think the whole thing with the parents of the dead kid not believing was overextended and the actress playing the mother was just too bad. 

I am with everyone that doesn't want Iggy to get involved with harasser about to be hired. Not because I care about Iggy, but because the writer will find a way to kill one of the few characters who still have a personality and is likable in the show - Martin. And isn't it sad that the only characters still likable are, mostly, the secondary ones? 

The writers seem to be running out of the bad ideas they have so they will probably make Max come back because the grandparents will file for custody of Luna. We did not escaped this tired trope, people

• Love 4
19 hours ago, circumvent said:

Yeah, and what is it with so many shows where people are having unprotected sex with multiple partners? I get that a REAL polyamorous relationship might have rules and trust but this show has not sold the poly plot yet. Besides, Lynn's character has no substance to stay in the show.

The bacteria coming from the ONE ice machine in a hospital the size of NA, which is a basically a city is too ridiculous, even to this show. And to believe that someone had to go down to the ER to carry a bunch of ice to keep someone alive before a transplant is yet more absurd. I feel personally disrespected by the writers that thought they could seriously sell this plot. 

I think the whole thing with the parents of the dead kid not believing was overextended and the actress playing the mother was just too bad. 

I am with everyone that doesn't want Iggy to get involved with harasser about to be hired. Not because I care about Iggy, but because the writer will find a way to kill one of the few characters who still have a personality and is likable in the show - Martin. And isn't it sad that the only characters still likable are, mostly, the secondary ones? 

The writers seem to be running out of the bad ideas they have so they will probably make Max come back because the grandparents will file for custody of Luna. We did not escaped this tired trope, people

re: Ice - at least if they had been like "oh he's in the ER, pack him with ice" or "crap, the ice machine we use for cooling patients down is broken" sure, I might be able to swallow that. But I sincerely doubt that they would cool patients down with the regular ice machine anyone can access

The parents of the dead kid sort of felt like they were acting like generic italian family you might see in a mobster movie begging the mafia for leniency.

Maybe if the writers run out of the bad ideas, they will be forced to come up with good ones?

• Love 1
On 11/23/2021 at 11:06 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

It’s exactly what I was expecting, especially after ducking the anvils that fell out of the sky when Walsh was going on and on about the ice in his coffee.  I immediately said, “It’s the ice machine!” and then proceeded to yell “ice machiiiiiiiine!!!” randomly for the rest of the episode.  Hubs and I have taken to watching this show MST3000 style.

On 11/24/2021 at 1:08 AM, txhorns79 said:

I think the bigger question is does a hospital the size of New Amsterdam really have only one ice machine? 

All of the infected folks were in the ED at some point in time, including the brain dead guy whose lungs were going to be transplanted.  He obviously hadn’t drunk any ice water, but had been packed in ice because he was hyperthermic.  I’m still not entirely clear on why his lungs were presumed infected since they established that the route of infection was not via aerosols…maybe they were concerned about contamination of the surgical field (and hence the lungs, during harvesting) from the superbug on his skin, since they had no way to kill the bacteria before starting the surgery?

I’m  not even going to get into the magic timeline whereby a bug can be cultured and a suitable antibiotic identified in less than a day.  Sure, they can grow a lovely lawn of bacteria in minutes and know whether or not a drug is effective in killing it in just a few more minutes.  No need to wait to see if there is efficacy over time, or to determine what dose of a drug with previously-identified serious side effects might be best.  Oh, and OF COURSE New Amsterdam has a stock of said drug in their deep freeze.  No need to contact the manufacturer.  Or alert the IRB, either.  ::eye roll::

On 11/24/2021 at 1:13 AM, Frisky Wig said:

Speaking of Bloom, NINETY THOUSAND DOLLARS!? Damn!

I was actually expecting more.  Much of that would go to paying her girlfriend’s salary, which doesn’t leave all that much for the hospital, relatively speaking.

Edited by Lovecat
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, Lovecat said:

I’m  not even going to get into the magic timeline whereby a bug can be cultured and a suitable antibiotic identified in less than a day.  Sure, they can grow a lovely lawn of bacteria in minutes and know whether or not a drug is effective in killing it in just a few more minutes.  No need to wait to see if there is efficacy over time, or to determine what dose of a drug with previously-identified serious side effects might be best.  Oh, and OF COURSE New Amsterdam has a stock of said drug in their deep freeze.  No need to contact the manufacturer.  Or alert the IRB, either.  ::eye roll::

I was actually expecting more.  Much of that would go to paying her girlfriend’s salary, which doesn’t leave all that much for the hospital, relatively speaking.

Obviously they found a storage unit full of the antibiotic that was taken off of the market in the 50s because people were dying... even though it took 48 hours for the bacteria to grow in others.

I was expecting at least 500k for the residency slot.

• Love 1
On 11/24/2021 at 9:34 AM, Cloud9Shopper said:

I really hope they don’t make Iggy cheat. Oddly he’s one of the only ones on this show in a loving, stable relationship. 

I was cheering for Leyla during her whole speech to Lauren. Lauren is co-dependent, between feeling like she had to buy Leyla a spot and earlier in the season when she was changing shift schedules so Leyla could work with her. Lauren, come on. A cross-country relationship is hard but there are ways to make it work if you really wanted to be with her. Leyla is a good doctor who didn’t need a spot bought for her to earn a residency. 

I still do not know why the writers are all in on the Floyd/Lyn/Claude story. It’s so boring and the actress is bland; the characters of Floyd and Lyn have zero chemistry together. And I looked up Lyn’s actress on IG a week or two ago and there’s no indication that she’s expecting in real life, so I’m not sure why they had to throw in a “You are/are not the father” story. That said, the tale of TV doctors getting accidentally pregnant is as old as time. I get it when the actress is pregnant IRL and they want to write it in, but every pregnancy I’ve seen on TV where there is no IRL pregnancy has just been unnecessary or poorly done.

I also still struggle to understand how Helen went to badly wanting Max and being in love to deciding she wanted to move to London for good. Yes, I know they are probably not going to stay long since we’re not losing Freema and Ryan but it never felt genuine to me. And I’ll forever be bothered that they dropped the custody story. From what we saw of Gwen and Calvin last season, they seem like the types to be very meddling and not want to let this go. I know that they probably settled out of court, as is also common in reality, but it seems like a weird choice given how aggressive they were to Max in S3 about how he’s an unfit parent.

As contrived as some of the other storylines are, London is still the one that confuses me the most. I feel like even temporarily, having a huge change of location this early in the show isn't the smartest idea. Or maybe it’s how they did it. Like you said, it was a quick switch between Helen being all in for love and then deciding to leave; they had those cheesy, longing voicemails in the finale that convinced her to leave London and come back to Max and then suddenly, she decides that London is the only place she can feel at home and has to leave immediately and forever? I understand her wanting answers from her mother but needing to take over the hospital there seems forced. The medical director aspect especially. Helen confronting her mother is something that could’ve unfolded as a minor arc but I can accept her wanting to immediately leave and sort that out. It’s the medical director part was really shoe horned in there. I can already picture the blatant medical parallels they’ll harp on in every episode as they flash between both countries. But Helen’s usually better at leading than Max so it’ll be interesting to see her offer up (somewhat) realistic strategies for the new hospital while Max does whatever he’s trained in(diagnostician? Don’t remember). 

The others back home look like they’ll all be quite miserable though. 

• Love 1

I got the impression that the guy Iggy was hiring was not a doctor but a cheaper assistant to replace Gladys. I still can’t believe the show got rid of Casey and Gladys, the only two likeable characters.

The hospital’s negligent maintenance policies led to the avoidable deaths of about a dozen people. The whole facility would’ve been shut down to see what other shit they’ve got growing in there. Plus the lawsuits for negligence would’ve bankrupted the whole place.

On 11/23/2021 at 10:00 PM, LittleIggy said:

Shouldn’t that boy’s body have been in a quarantined area? I mean, the virulent highly fatal bacteria stuff…🙄

You're reading my mind. Also, how much time passed? He'd already been autopsied. 

I thought this was about the worse episode I'd seen. Leyla's reaction to finding out what Lauren did. I guess I have no pride. I'd be glad for the help. I thought it was a soap-operatic leap for her to feel that she'd been "bought".  Get off your high horse, girlie. You no longer live in the broom closet. Are you two in love with each other or not?

Now if it turns out that Lauren's "donation" actually went directly into someone's pocket, that might make me think. At least until I remembered the smell of wet mops smelling a little like Lysol.

I want Karen back. And the ER nurse. I'll trade each of them for Ziggy and pathetic Floyd. I'll throw in the super fertile OB doctor.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, mojito said:

I want Karen back. And the ER nurse. I'll trade each of them for Ziggy and pathetic Floyd. I'll throw in the super fertile OB doctor.

Same here.  Given the quality of the writing, shall we assume that OB doc is pregnant with twins, one fathered by her husband and one by Floyd?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Same here.  Given the quality of the writing, shall we assume that OB doc is pregnant with twins, one fathered by her husband and one by Floyd?

And Floyd's child has a rare, chronic, debilitating medical condition. 😒

• Love 1
14 hours ago, mojito said:

And Floyd's child has a rare, chronic, debilitating medical condition. 😒

obviously it'll be the same debilitating diabetes that his mother has that required him to move back home

• LOL 1
On 11/23/2021 at 11:06 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

At my old office job, we had one of the ones that kind of looks like a dishwasher except it’s full of ice. Every so often, they would clean it out and put it all on a paper towel on the counter above it with a note that said “This was in the ice maker. Don’t reach in with your hands.  Use the scoop.”  Dirt, trash, and fingernails. 🤢

Edited by Tdoc72
18 minutes ago, Tdoc72 said:

At my old officeholder, we had one of the ones that kind of looks like a dishwasher except it’s full of ice. Every so often, they would clean it out and put it all on a paper towel on the counter above it with a note that said “This was in the ice maker. Don’t reach in with your hands.  Use the scoop.”  Dirt, trash, and fingernails. 🤢

Those ice makers are so cool. I went to a rich person's house once and the couple that owned it had two of them, they had a large one in their kitchen, then a small one in the "apartment" they had that was attached to their home (it used to be called a "servant's quarters")

I guess the heat of the too hot coffee wasn't enough to kill the bacteria in the ice.

I've been thinking about this whole move to London arc, and to soothe my irritation  I have dcided to think of it like this: for years, Helen did things for Max, even at her own expense, when he was too self-absorbed to reciprocate on an equal basis. When they finally got together, she realized she had been in an unbalanced dynamic with him and itcould not be allowed to carry over to their romantic partnership, so when the London clinic offered her thee job, she took it-- just like Max took the NAH job on the precipice of his relationship with Georgia getting more demanding as they were aout to become parents. Basically, the Helen suddenly needs to move to London arc is a mirror to what Max did with Georgia back in season 1.

I don't think Floyd was planning to give antibiotics to the patient after the transplant. What they said is that they could treat the lungs for the infection. I don't know if this would work IRL, but it seemed like they were planning to treat the lungs before they put them into his patient. Since he thought she only had about 15 minutes to live if she didn't get new lungs, I think it was too late anyway-- pretty sure treating the new lungs would take more than 15 minutes, and a transplant procedure would also take more than 15 minutes. But NAH exists in a universe where time is magical and doesn't track with normal time, so we're supposed to handwave it.

Iggy hiring the sexual harrassment guy is a bad idea, obvously. He also should have sked why the dude wanted the job, since he had such an overqualified resume. Maybe he is in trouble for sexual harrassment or other misconduct at his previous jobs. It doesn't seem likely that NAH would pay better than those previous positions, especially with Veronica having fired Gladys to save money. I think Iggy is showing his body image issues again. It's killing me. I like Martin way too much to want to see where this is going. Also, I liked Gladys. I still want her, Casey, Kao, and Baptiste to come back.

Birth control does sometimes fail, but it seems like it fails a lot more on TV than IRL. I have all along thought that the solution to the triangle with Floyd, Lyn, and Claude is for Floyd and Claude to fall in love with each other, too, and turn the whole situation into a throuple. They liked each other a lot before the Floyd and Lyn hooked up. A baby is the fastest cliche shortcut to making them both get on board with being civil and communicating again. How long til Lyn can determine paternity? Can they do it while the fetus is in utero? Or do they have to wait til after the birth?

Leyla is awesome. I think it is okay to help someone you love, but not to lie about it or do it against their wishes. I have a thing about lying. I have been helped and I would be grateful to be helped, but Lauren lying is a bad look and I get why Leyla is upset about it. Other than the lying, I really liked their relationship. I wish this show would let people be happy. They seem to destroy every good thing-- firing the sane and likable characters, having Iggy once again do something clearly wrong that will sabotage his awesome marriage, making every single moment of joy undermined by angst immediately.

I would not let those grandparents spend any time with Luna without supervision from Max. I really think it's insane that he trusts them.

I am guessing the CDC keeps stockpiles of drugs "for research" and that's where they got the discontinued meds, but I am handwaving the speed they got it to NAH, as well as them having adequate supply to treat all the patients.

I thought it was okay that Iggy spent a lot of time with the parents of the patient who died. Even if he didn't actually empathize (which he did, face it he always does), he doesn't want them to sue the hospital for not only killing their kid but also being callous about it. They deserved some hand-holding and if he had just told them and dismissed them, that would be irresponsible. I didn't think it was random marriage counseling. I thought it was grief counseling. It's common for marriages to break up after the death of a kid and they were already acting like they were falling into that trap. The hospital frankly should have offered them more than one session of counseling, IMO. I realize that the system is callous, but I'm okay with the show trying to be better than the callousness of real life.