Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Price

• Start Topic

Ok so after all the hype for Iris over two episode teasers and she just offers herself up and then leaves? And she cries when Mike isn't really that snarky to her? I know this character is around more in the season but that intro didn't do a lot. It also doesn't seem like a lot of thought went into Milo's "plan" to work on Mike but I am sure there is a long con at work.

The contrivance fairy made Mike call his brother in the pizza joint after Ian told him to. So Ian and Kyle thought the tweaker was going to hold up the place, but really it was the guy staffing the counter? The guy who seemed to have no problem taking orders, ringing in cash, etc? 

I laughed at Kyle asking Mike why he was hiding in the woods like a Vietnam Vet. I mean, typed out that is terrible but said out loud it made me laugh...

Edited by mledawn
8 hours ago, mledawn said:

So Ian and Kyle thought the tweaker was going to hold up the place, but really it was the guy staffing the counter? The guy who seemed to have no problem taking orders, ringing in cash, etc? 

The owner saw someone with a gun creeping from the back of his establishment and did not know it was a cop. In all fairness, Kyle should have discreetly flashed his badge but judging by the stinkeye the owner gave him, cops aren't especially welcome there (as the owner is probably an ex-con himself).

• Useful 1
57 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

The owner saw someone with a gun creeping from the back of his establishment and did not know it was a cop. In all fairness, Kyle should have discreetly flashed his badge but judging by the stinkeye the owner gave him, cops aren't especially welcome there (as the owner is probably an ex-con himself).

Thank you - that makes far more sense as to why Ian was losing his mind.

• Love 1
On 11/28/2021 at 12:21 PM, mledawn said:

Ok so after all the hype for Iris over two episode teasers and she just offers herself up and then leaves? And she cries when Mike isn't really that snarky to her? I know this character is around more in the season but that intro didn't do a lot. It also doesn't seem like a lot of thought went into Milo's "plan" to work on Mike but I am sure there is a long con at work.

I was expecting her to do the weepy "I'm just a frail delicate flower trapped in a life of prostitution by really bad men, please help me" thing. But she didn't. She was actually very open about why she was there and who sent her. 

Agree that this must be a really long con at play here because as of right now, Mike isn't falling for her song and dance.   

Now I'm *really* confused by the premise of this show. Even with all the "fixing" by the McCluskey brothers, they call their own town "Beirut" and spend most of their time fending off the results of what they "fixed." Is the premise that they suck at fixing things?

The other weird part is that no one really seems to hate Mike and his family business. There is no Kingpin, or Cottonmouth, or main antagonist. Various people get irritated at him, but for some reason they work with him. Which is surprising, given how bad he seems to be at the job. Maybe shooting the pizza guy will be the beginning of a lesson. I assume the younger brother's job offer will be retracted now.

I'm fascinated by how the show is clearly trying to make "Kingstown" itself a character, what with all the overhead drone video shots and music reminiscent of House of Cards. The problem is that, unlike Washington DC, I have no idea what we are seeing or of its significance. The port? OK, great. Some kind of molten metal in a moving car, so a factory of some type? I don't know. Lots of smokestacks for ... something. I thought the town was about prisons, and yet we get way more shots of industry. Don't understand.

Clearly Iris is a long con, and there will probably be "feelings" by Mike and Iris, and then they will try to escape Milo. As others have said, Milo's purpose as stated makes no sense. Have Iris screw Mike, and in turn ask Mike to buy the land being auctioned? That seems a stretch.

Still, I like Renner and the quality of the show. Hope it makes more sense soon.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Ottis said:

I'm fascinated by how the show is clearly trying to make "Kingstown" itself a character, what with all the overhead drone video shots and music reminiscent of House of Cards. The problem is that, unlike Washington DC, I have no idea what we are seeing or of its significance. The port? OK, great. Some kind of molten metal in a moving car, so a factory of some type? I don't know. Lots of smokestacks for ... something. I thought the town was about prisons, and yet we get way more shots of industry. Don't understand.

This is a really good point. The premise is that there isn't anything BUT prison work in the town, but they're showing steel mills along the lakeshore. 

I don't mind gritty shows (I treadmilled my way through all seasons of The Wire).  But this show has like no redeeming characters or even story lines.  It's just all over the place every episode.  And he's really a jerk for talking his brother out of a promotion to a safer area.

That pizza episode was messed up.  Like he knows a cop is sitting right there, let him take care of it.  Which was nothing in the end.

Except for Dianne Weisst, it's just unbearable to watch.  And I'm a huge Jeremy Renner fan, just hate the premise of the whole show and how it's directed.  So unless I am stuck in a waiting room for an hour, I think I'm done.  It's one of those shows where if I watch it or not, it makes the same impression on me.  I forget it as soon as it is over.