Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Can It All Be So Simple

jewel21
  • Start Topic

When Spencer receives some unsettling news about his future, Billy helps devise a contingency plan for him. Layla makes Patience an offer she wasn't expecting, forcing Patience to have a long overdue conversation with Coop. With the encouragement of Nurse Joy, Olivia contemplates taking on a new role in NA. Meanwhile, Asher's unwelcome football advice helps JJ in an unexpected way.

Airdate: 11/22/2021

This was a surprisingly upbeat episode for a change, with everyone getting D-1 offers in one way or another.  I had thought last week that there could be social media backlash against the Toledo State coach, especially with as high a profile as Spencer had through leading the protest.  I think it would have happened right away, but I liked Billy making him back down.  It had always been obvious that Asher would move into coaching, even before the heart problem, but of course he needed a little time first because of being depressed.  I'm glad that he could get through to J.J. (eventually) that he wasn't a D-1 quarterback just because he was athletic enough to play the position a few games in high school.  It was nice seeing the guys from the two teams all happy and getting along with each other so soon after the brawl before the championship and with the controversy over the finish, though probably not plausible.

I know they have to have Coop and Patience at odds all the time, but Patience should have told Coop that she is NOT to blame for Amina not having a mother.  Mo is to blame for her own death because she was a psychopath obsessed with hurting Coop, and her brother was totally evil too.  It would be nice if Amina can end up turning out all right, and at least she sees Coop as a friend for the moment.

It looks like Dillon isn't on the show anymore as a regular, as his name isn't listed on anything anymore.  I guess they will use him as a guest star if/when they need him for scenes, like the intervention in the season premiere.

This isn't totally related to the show, but why are they showing the special with Taye Diggs and Ne-Yo next week when it's still November?  They could have episodes for two weeks and then show that on the 13th.  That's just a peeve I have about holiday specials lately (like a certain reindeer airing opposite this episode).

Droopy Dawg - Motivational Speaker isn’t working for me.

Golden Angeles as the name of a made up school is really dumb, but whatever they need to do to keep everyone together (except Simone).

Layla is so snotty lately I don’t like it.  She may be trying to be a businesswoman, but she’s still also 17.

Laura looked amazingly fantastic in those jeans at the end.

• Love 3

Two of the best moments for me in this series happened.  One cool, the other hilarious.

Olivia shutting down Jenn originally was a massively smart move.  As she later said, an addict has to want it.  Jenn does not.  Which means this moment became one of the worst.  

The fun scene was when the coach barked that he wanted Jordan and Spence to run back the same play (medium out).  Jordan then wildly overthrew the ball, which Spence managed to snag.  Here we had Mr. Juco needing to be perfect, and he showed he is inconsistent.  There is nothing easier for a QB than to repeat the rep he just took.  Jordan could not do it.  So, of cooooouuuuurrrrrsssssse he gets a PWO offer.  If the GAU coaches are actually that stoopid, Spence is in for a rough time.

Billy's gambit with the TSU coach was also fantasy.  That dude knew exactly what he was doing.  He did not get the gig for being soft.  He made the decision that it was of prime importance that future commits stay committed.  Spencer would be the example.  In their game, coaches leave at the drop of a hat all the time.   Hudson knew exactly what he was doing.  Now, the new transfer portal and individual rights have flipped that script and this arc could never happen now.  Spence would be free and clear any dang time he chose.

I'm done with Coop.  She was playing with fire from day one and got massively burned.  What does she choose to do with the new life she was granted?  Continue to demand the world bend to her, on her terms.