Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E07: Simu Liu / Saweetie

• Start Topic

I get that James Austin Johnson is talented - really talented - I'm not arguing that - but what purpose does this serve?  I know that we're not allowed to talk about the person he's imitating so I just want to say, I would rather not see him on my sketch shows.

• Love 16
12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I had to google both of those people.

Thanks for saying that.  I'm still hoping for Steve Martin and Simon & Garfunkel, so I'm pretty hopeless at knowing some of the current hosts!

Came over to say how clever the "Republican or Not?" sketch was ("My body, my choice" -- I did not see around the corners on that one!), but "Walking in Staten" was so well done that I could not even remember the previous sketch.   Whoa, that was fantastic.  Marc Cohn:  "No, I don't want to be a parody in my own song.  What do you mean, I already am?"  Some people are really good sports.  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 20

The "Republican or Not" game show was great - and super smart.

I like Pete Davidson a lot, but his comedy songs never make me laugh. They're not bad, they're more kind of pleasant to watch and listen to, but for me not memorable. "Dick in a Box" is a high bar to match, I guess. "Box" and "Christmastime for the Jews" are my all-time SNL comedy song favorites, still.
The last (I think) line about "babies are born with chains" was great, though.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 2

Okay, "Walking in Staten" was all kinds of brilliant, baby! I was hoping for a Snooki reference, though, as all those "Jersey Shore" peeps are from SI!

"Dog-head Man"? OMG! Love it!

The "Republican?" Quiz Show was very clever. Keenan, of course, added the funny.

JJ does a great Trump! But I gotta say, it's  actually fairly easy to write in TFG's wacky non-sequitur style. Try it! 

The "Thanksgiving With the Family" skit was really good, too! With a sweet touch and important message at the end, awwww!

Loved the "Karaoke All-Stars," too!

So far, terrific! 

• Love 8

Cold Open: Opening with Judge Jeanine again! But this week it didn't land as great as last time. Maybe because the wounds that were the news were still fresh? Not surprising at the least, mind you, but still a downer. Not even JAJ's Trump could save it. The word search was clever, though (something the REAL Trump is not.)

Monologue: Big ol welcome for Simu Liu. He did a good job.

Karaoke Recap: What's better than the cast singing? The cast singing badly. But most of it fell flat. JAJ was definitely channeling Walter Matthau-era Homer Simpson, while the Marge was perfect. Some writer definitely went to karaoke a lot, all of those people were too specific to just make up.

Target: Families suck, this was fun. How does this show nail dysfunctional families every single year? The nephew that's into crypto,  

Dog-Head Man: The premise was delightfully dumb, but the dog antics made Cecily and Mikey break! The dog was adorable.

Republican or Not: Liking this one. This one was really clever.

Walking in Staten: We finally get a song about Staten Island. Mark Cohn's appearance in this was very reminiscent of Lonely Island.

WU: Colin and Che once again giving zero fucks about the news today. I DO want to see "Biden after colonoscopy." That Lethal Weapon bit was great, too.

Oh great, Baby Yoda's back. Meh.

Holiday Bake Off: This sketch has turned into "okay, when are going to see the hideous monster cake?" Oh god, it was Simu Liu's cakes, and they were horrifying. Loved that Pete kept eating the cake for the entire sketch. 

Simu and Bowen: This was fun. "Mr. Asian Panera" had to be my favorite fake award. I'm also pretty sure Simu is far from the first Asian man to beat Starcraft II. Definitely the sketch of the night.

911: I tried an edible for the first time a month ago so I can relate to all these professors thinking they're dead after smoking weed.

All in all...flat episode. It could be me, I was at a con all day and I'm just out of it. Thanksgiving is next week, everyone seems checked out. We'll try it again December 11th when Billie Eilish does double duty.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: Opening with Judge Jeanine again! But this week it didn't land as great as last time. Maybe because the wounds that were the news were still fresh? Not surprising at the least, mind you, but still a downer. Not even JAJ's Trump could save it. The word search was clever, though (something the REAL Trump is not.)

Monologue: Big ol welcome for Simu Liu. He did a good job.

Karaoke Recap: What's better than the cast singing? The cast singing badly. But most of it fell flat. JAJ was definitely channeling Walter Matthau-era Homer Simpson, while the Marge was perfect. Some writer definitely went to karaoke a lot, all of those people were too specific to just make up.

Target: Families suck, this was fun. How does this show nail dysfunctional families every single year? The nephew that's into crypto,  

Dog-Head Man: The premise was delightfully dumb, but the dog antics made Cecily and Mikey break! The dog was adorable.

Republican or Not: Liking this one. This one was really clever.

Walking in Staten: We finally get a song about Staten Island. Mark Cohn's appearance in this was very reminiscent of Lonely Island.

WU: Colin and Che once again giving zero fucks about the news today. I DO want to see "Biden after colonoscopy." That Lethal Weapon bit was great, too.

Holiday Bake Off: This sketch has turned into "okay, when are going to see the hideous monster cake?" Oh god, it was Simu Liu's cakes, and they were horrifying. Loved that Pete kept eating the cake for the entire sketch. 

Simu and Bowen: This was fun. "Mr. Asian Panera" had to be my favorite fake award. I'm also pretty sure Simu is far from the first Asian man to beat Starcraft II. Definitely the sketch of the night.

911: I tried an edible for the first time a month ago so I can relate to all these professors thinking they're dead after smoking weed.

All in all...flat episode. It could be me, I was at a con all day and I'm just out of it. Thanksgiving is next week, everyone seems checked out. We'll try it again December 11th when Billie Eilish does double duty.

I agree with all of this.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! 

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Also, the Rittenhouse judge was way too mild. He should had been hissing about the prosecutor. Just saying. 

I thought it was alright. Good, but not great. I definitely thought Simu could have handled more than they gave him.  For me, the dog won the night easily.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 12

I thought it was an excellent episode. I agree that even if JAA is good at it, I don't want to see the former president on SNL. It's like comedians are addicted to him because he's so easy to write. But I liked pretty much almost everything else. I thought it was one of the better episodes this season, no real duds.

• Love 17

Simu was great, totally a natural actor.  He was really good in the taped sketches too.  But still definitely good in the live.

I don't know why Kenan as the high professor really got to me.  He's so funny.

Method Man was sexy 20 years ago and he's still sexy now and he will always be sexy.  Sigh.  

This was a pretty good episode.  For me the only dud was "Republican or not?"  The rest was good.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Oh yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care for that impression/character.  It just does nothing for me.  

• Love 20

I loved the Staten Island bit. I was a probation officer who used to have to go to Staten Island from NJ to interview people on child custody and juvenile charges. Even then it was all pizza places, land fills and organized crime hoods. I thought the piece was well done plus good sport, Marc Cohn. 

Saweetie……oh that was awful. I had to turn the sound off.

Edited by Quickbeam
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

Going to bed. I live on Staten Island. The landfill has been closed for quite a while. Now . . . deer coming in from NJ and turkeys near the hospital? Totally true. I kinda want to be offended, but Pete and his friends put a lot of thought into it.

ETA: Wasn't Benson DuBois a role played by Robert Guillaume on Soap and Benson?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Simu Liu was really good.  I didn't think I knew him but during his monologue I remembered I had seen him in the first season of Kim's Convenience. (The one season I watched.)

I feel the cold open was just okay.  It had one or two good lines but as soon as the new Trump showed up, I fast forwarded.  I get that's a character the new guy can do well but I don't remember them doing a former president so regularly once they've left office.  Sure, when they're doing some kind of All Presidents sketch we'll see former presidents.  Or when an actor, like Will Farrell, returns with an iconic impression.  But nothing like this.  And I don't even think the writing is all that funny. 

The first half of the show was so incredible.  I loved the karaoke recap.  Simu was terrific as the crypto bro in the Thanksgiving Family skit.  Dog head man was so silly (but kind of hard for me today).

The Republican or Democrat skit was smart and I loved how the contestants needed more clarification. I also liked the commentary on "first Asians." 

Overall, I really liked this one.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I feel the cold open was just okay.  It had one or two good lines but as soon as the new Trump showed up, I fast forwarded.  I get that's a character the new guy can do well but I don't remember them doing a former president so regularly once they've left office.  Sure, when they're doing some kind of All Presidents sketch we'll see former presidents.  Or when an actor, like Will Farrell, returns with an iconic impression.  But nothing like this.  And I don't even think the writing is all that funny. 

Trump's not a typical former POTUS - usually they lay low by writing their memoirs and cashing in with paid speeches.  It's been a long time since we've had one who remains a very vocal leader of the party and a likely 2024 candidate.  This is also his second appearance this season, so "regularly" might be a stretch unless the trend continues.

Plus it's low lying fruit.  Never underestimate that part.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Going to bed. I live on Staten Island. The landfill has been closed for quite a while. Now . . . deer coming in from NJ and turkeys near the hospital? Totally true. I kinda want to be offended, but Pete and his friends put a lot of thought into it.

ETA: Wasn't Benson DuBois a role played by Robert Guillaume on Soap and Benson?

Yes He Was ! ! Maybe, One OF The Writers Liked That OR Used To Watch That OR Maybe Kenan Used To Watch Those Shows And Enjoyed Those Shows ! ! 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I loved the Staten Island bit. I was a probation officer who used to have to go to Staten Island from NJ to interview people on child custody and juvenile charges. Even then it was all pizza places, land fills and organized crime hoods. I thought the piece was well done plus good sport, Marc Cohn. 

Saweetie……oh that was awful. I had to turn the sound off.

Staten was the best part of the show - loved it!

Saweeetie?  you've got to be kidding.. that was horrible in all ways 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Simu was terrific as the crypto bro in the Thanksgiving Family skit. 

I actually wanted more of his character because he just nailed that self-righteous air without going too over the top with it.

I agree with the upthread comments about Baby Yoda being quite tiresome at this point.  I get that the humor in the parody is that this absolutely adorable baby character is supposed to be a savvy player, but Kyle is quite repulsive looking as this character and so all these remarks coming out of him just don’t land at all.

5 hours ago, Such A Flirt said:

Why did Pete keep on eating the cake?!?

Good question.  Was it part of the joke that he kept shoveling in the cake that had mustard in it?  I didn’t really get it.

I felt the affection as well as the mockery in the Staten Island sketch, which I think worked well.  Adding Mark Cohn like that was very funny.

• Love 5

There's an old saying:

You know you're getting old when you start to think the music is too loud.

Well, here is how I know I am getting old:

When I have no idea who the host , nor who the musical guest is on Saturday Night Live. 

Where is Steve Martin, and Paul Simon ? I know those guys.

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • LOL 4

Another strong episode.  They're just killing it this season.  Loved Republican or Not?  And Doghead Man.

He's deactivating the bomb!

Cecily: He's just licking it.

But I continue to be lost on what is supposed to make Pete Davidson so appealing.  To each his own, I know, but I'm definitely missing something.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I get that James Austin Johnson is talented - really talented - I'm not arguing that - but what purpose does this serve?  I know that we're not allowed to talk about the person he's imitating so I just want to say, I would rather not see him on my sketch shows.

I LOVED it and wish it was a weekly feature. And from its inception, this show has made a practice of skewering those (presently and formerly) in charge.

• Love 2

Mark me as another who just mutes the TV when Pete is singing or doing a Weekend Update ramble. I'm also more than done with Kyle's Baby Yoda, and Kyle in general.

Other than those bits I thought the show was enjoyable, but the Thanksgiving Bake-Off skit and Karaoke Recap were the only two that really got me to laugh out loud. Alex and Heidi singing a father-daughter rendition of "My Pony" gave me flashbacks to Huey Lewis and Gwyneth Paltrow singing "Cruisin" as a father-daughter duo in Duets.

Saweetie's musical numbers were at least informative. I would have previously said that Jessica Rabbit's proportions wouldn't be biologically viable in the real world, but clearly I was wrong about that.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Now I have to go do a search on Dua Lipa's husband. Thanks, SNL. 😼

This week I get to say I had no idea who the host was. He's cute. And way less nervous than Jonathan Majors was last week. Sounds like he's had a lot of experience informally interacting with the public.

🎶Su soopa layla🎶

Okay, that was clever the way they worked in the Target Thanksgiving ad.

Female Dog-HeadMan. Good girl boy! But it took a dark turn at the end.

Thumbs up on Walking in Staten.

Well at least Doja Cat didn't make a surprise appearance during Best Friend. I only had to hear those noises she calls her voice in the backing track while Saweetie was performing.

OMG, the Queen Elizabeth joke in WU.

A cake that vomits. Yum!

I love Bowen and am so happy he got to do that "Best" sketch with Simu.

• Love 9

One of the books my nephew asked for last year was from Dav Pilkey's Dog Man series, and all I could think about during the Dog Head Man sketch was his little sister informing me that she strongly disapproved of the concept. Do we know whose hands were playing the human body?

Walking in Staten seemed to go on too long, but I was delighted with the Mark Cohn bit because it came just as I was noticing the resemblance to Walking in Memphis.

Loved Simu with Bowen.

• Love 1

I enjoyed quite a few sketches. The dog man sketch was my favorite, and I laughed my ass off at the Staten Island song. Kevin’s face in the republican sketch was a definite highlight. But I don’t think they used the host as much as they could have.

The less said about the musical guest, the better. 

• Love 4

I'm pretty sure Pete improvised the continued cake-eating.  There was no punchline to it.  When the judges all took a bite, he took too large a piece, and part of it dropped off, which caused some laughter, so I think he thought he would keep getting laughs if he kept doing that.  But his improv pulled focus from the rest of the actors for the whole skit, which is kind of frowned upon. 

The Trump impression is very accurate, but it's not very funny.  Alec Baldwin is not as good at imitation, but he really skewered Trump in a way that James Austin Johnson is not doing.  Comic exaggeration is what SNL is all about.

• Love 6

I also had to Google Simu Liu and Saweetie (I'm 40).  Actually, I didn't bother until I was making this post.  Having never heard of the people just told me I didn't need to concern myself with them as much.  They are 32 and 28, respectively.  On the other hand, you guys waiting for Steve Martin and Simon & Garfunkel are asking for people who are 76, 80, and 80.  That's a bit ridiculous in my opinion.  76 and 80?  Really?  You think THAT is the demographic this show is trying to reach?  Please.  That being said, it would be nice if the pendulum could swing back a little towards the middle.

And everybody's asking why Pete kept eating the cake.  Um, maybe it was good cake?  Really, many of you are overthinking things as you're watching this show (and as a result you're making me overthink as well).  It's a comedy sketch show!  Just sit back and enjoy it!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
59 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Saweetie's musical numbers were at least informative. I would have previously said that Jessica Rabbit's proportions wouldn't be biologically viable in the real world, but clearly I was wrong about that.

informative in what way? 

7 hours ago, TAG42481 said:

And everybody's asking why Pete kept eating the cake.  Um, maybe it was good cake?

You know Pete was performing in a sketch where the cake was described as having a mustard flavour, right?

8 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Do we know whose hands were playing the human body?

Found the answer: Please Don't Destroy boy Martin Herlihy.

• Useful 3

Love sketches were breaking adds to the humor instead of ruining the sketch, so Dog Head Man was a winner for me. Mikey improvising writing to hide his laughter and "he's investigating his body, it happens", and Cecily's running commentary on what the dog was doing, all while JAJ was losing it off to the side - it just kept getting better and better. It also makes it funnier when one person (in this case, Simu) doesn't break - it adds to the ridiculousness somehow.

1 hour ago, mikem said:

I'm pretty sure Pete improvised the continued cake-eating.  There was no punchline to it.  When the judges all took a bite, he took too large a piece, and part of it dropped off, which caused some laughter, so I think he thought he would keep getting laughs if he kept doing that.  But his improv pulled focus from the rest of the actors for the whole skit, which is kind of frowned upon. 

It wasn't improve, it was written. Pete's cake is a totally different slice from the other two slices. His was like 3 times the size and not even the same kind of cake. He did just keep shoveling it in though, "mustard" taste aside. I did see a big hunk of yellow icing, so he have liked it. I was more confused as to who he was supposed to be. I knew Aidy was supposed to be Nancy Fuller and Ego was supposed to be Lorraine Pascale, the male judge with them was Duff Goldman, and yeah, no way was Pete supposed tp be him! LOL! 

3 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I LOVED it and wish it was a weekly feature. And from its inception, this show has made a practice of skewering those (presently and formerly) in charge.

My fear and dislike of the sketch is that it humanizes its subject and makes people laugh and enjoy its subject, and that's definitely not what I want.  I think it's irresponsible.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I do like Cecily's Judge Janine, though. Maybe we cant have one without the other.

Simu Liu is starring in a currently very popular Marvel movie. I consider it my fault that I didn't know who he was. Also, he was great last night, so that alone makes him a good host.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

This was cut for time.

I wondered where they were this week. So thanks for posting.

I was laughing so hard at the Dog Head Man that I missed most of the dialogue. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Did your dog pass? If so, I'm so sorry.

Thank you.  I didn't want to vomit personal stuff in this thread but he did. And he was a similar breed to the one on SNL so a lot of the expressions were familiar. (Hell--maybe they're just dog expressions.) But I don't care. I know everyone's dog is the best dog but he really was. 

Sorry for the downer.

So it was hard.  And yet, her singular focus on trying to find more food even if it meant her head went under the table was highly amusing.  As was her licking the bomb just in case there was a morsel there.

11 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Trump's not a typical former POTUS - usually they lay low by writing their memoirs and cashing in with paid speeches.  It's been a long time since we've had one who remains a very vocal leader of the party and a likely 2024 candidate.  This is also his second appearance this season, so "regularly" might be a stretch unless the trend continues.

I say "regular" because this is the second Janine Pirro show of the season and he has made an appearance both times.  But unlike the other real people who appear on that show, his purpose isn't to mock his part in current news the way Aaron Rodgers was or the Rittenhouse trial judge was.  I'm not saying to never have the character, especially if he does something specifically newsworthy. 

I just don't want him to keep popping up and commenting like he's a regular character on Weekend Update.  (And even if the impression is good, I agree with those who think the writing for that part of the segment isn't good.)

8 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I actually wanted more of his character because he just nailed that self-righteous air without going too over the top with it.

He really did.  His "I'm more evolved than thou" vibe was spot on.  In fact, that's one thing I appreciated the most with him.  All of his pre-recorded chararacters felt well-rounded.

3 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I knew Aidy was supposed to be Nancy Fuller and Ego was supposed to be Lorraine Pascale, the male judge with them was Duff Goldman, and yeah, no way was Pete supposed tp be him! LOL! 

I think they've kind of move on from expressly imitating the judges.  Lorraine Pascale hasn't been a judge since the pandemic began.  Carla Hall has been there for the past two years of various baking shows. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, cinsays said:

informative in what way? 

In the way the following  sentence explains!

Re: JAJ and DJT---The impression has the latter's cadence, intonation, and bizarre segues down pat. The problem, though, is that TFG isn't seen anymore on our TV screens, so a mimicking of his speaking idiosyncrasies as such isn't as funny as when we'd just heard the real deal. 

I, too, had never heard of the host and the musical guest, but I'm not displeased. SNL strives to remain au courant. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Thank you.  I didn't want to vomit personal stuff in this thread but he did. And he was a similar breed to the one on SNL so a lot of the expressions were familiar. (Hell--maybe they're just dog expressions.) But I don't care. I know everyone's dog is the best dog but he really was. 

Sorry for the downer.

So it was hard.  And yet, her singular focus on trying to find more food even if it meant her head went under the table was highly amusing.  As was her licking the bomb just in case there was a morsel there.

I'm so sorry. They break your heart when they go.

9 hours ago, cinsays said:

Staten was the best part of the show - loved it!

Saweeetie?  you've got to be kidding.. that was horrible in all ways 

For some reason, Sky Comedy (which airs SNL on Sunday nights) cut out the musical guest.  I didn't realise it until I saw the end of episode on stage gathering.  (to be fair, I'd have probably fast forwarded through that part anyway).  And it can't have been cut for time because there was a good 7 or 8 minutes left on my recording after it got to the closing credits.